Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

marshmallow creep posted:

What doesn't kills you makes you stronger.

You should launch that survivor into space so they can eventually kill Superman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I think you could actually make a good game mechanic out of "character dies, comes back stronger." You might just focus it on the logic of "if you died, you obviously could use the help beating this next part so lets buff you." It could reset at the next checkpoint or when you beat a boss. Or it could be something you stack up all game, like Hollowing in Dark Souls 3, that ties you into a different ending. You can clear it, but it's a conscious decision to go back to an unbuffed state. A challenge run wouldn't just be "no deaths," but also no death-buffs.

On the other hand, I know whenever I die a few times in a game like Devil May Cry and it asks if I want to try again on a lower difficulty, it's...well, it bruises the ego. You'd have to make the death buff seem cool so people wouldn't just see it as a crutch.

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 17:12 on Apr 12, 2019

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I can't afford to get Sekiro but I do have a lot of Nioh to get through.

At first I didn't expect to get too much into the deep combat system. I'm boring and will often stick with one thing for as long as possible.

You could certainly do that but the whole thing finally clicked and I'm way more deadly than before.

There are nine (?) weapon classes and each weapon has three stances that you can swap on the fly. Low for short range quick strikes with better evasion, Mid for defensive fighting and High for powerful attacks that usually hit multiple targets.

So even if you like heavy axes and swords you still have fast attacks at your disposal and you can use them at any time. What's even better are the skills you unlock that gives you buffs for switching stances.

The whole package let's you become a swirling tornado of death while you chump demons and zombies. It makes Dark Souls feel really boring by comparison.

Plus you also get ninja techniques and magic that are pretty easy to make effective without a ton of investment.

God, I love Nioh.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

I think you could actually make a good game mechanic out of "character dies, comes back stronger." You might just focus it on the logic of "if you died, you obviously could use the help beating this next part so lets buff you." It could reset at the next checkpoint or when you beat a boss. Or it could be something you stack up all game, like Hollowing in Dark Souls 3, that ties you into a different ending. You can clear it, but it's a conscious decision to go back to an unbuffed state. A challenge run wouldn't just be "no deaths," but also no death-buffs.

On the other hand, I know whenever I die a few times in a game like Devil May Cry and it asks if I want to try again on a lower difficulty, it's...well, it bruises the ego. You'd have to make the death buff seem cool so people wouldn't just see it as a crutch.

Recently released anime game Zanki Zero does exactly that: your characters are a string of quick-aging clones, and every time you die and re-clone someone, the clone gains a benefit, often in the form of a resistance to whatever they died to. Died because a boar charged you? You'd get Defense Against Boars AND Defense Against Charge Attacks, maybe Died as a Senior or Died With Full Bladder or Died from an Enemy Attack for the First Time, etc.You stack up quite a list of bonuses as you advance through the game.

John Lee has a new favorite as of 04:14 on Apr 13, 2019

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

I think you could actually make a good game mechanic out of "character dies, comes back stronger."

Not exactly the same thing, but Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume has a mechanic where you can turbo-boost a party member for one level, at the cost of them dying permanently after it's over. The main character then gains a new power based on which ally you sacrificed. Naturally this also ties into which of the endings you get.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

SiKboy posted:

Do me a favour, remind me of the mechanics/timing? Burnout 3 was a lot of years ago now...
Press down the brake trigger during the countdown, then hold down the accelerator as you release the brake. Your tires should start smoking at this point. Then when the countdown hits 1, release the accelerator and immediately press it back down. It's not the most intuitive thing in the world, but once you figure it out you'll be able to nail it pretty much every time.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Not exactly the same thing, but Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume has a mechanic where you can turbo-boost a party member for one level, at the cost of them dying permanently after it's over. The main character then gains a new power based on which ally you sacrificed. Naturally this also ties into which of the endings you get.

You could also do it Saiyan-style - a game in which when you die you level up through experience gained based on what enemy killed you, and there is an achievement for getting through the entire game on level 1.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

In Life is Strange: Before the Storm there are two dream sequences where Chloe is sitting in the backseat of her dad’s car minutes before his fatal crash. William died in June of 2008 during the height of the gas crisis, and if you look closely you can see the prices are all $3.75 - $4.12 on the billboards that pass by.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I was actually thinking of covenant of the plume when I posted. Something like that but the "sacrifice" is only your progress and the buff isn't nearly as big...at first.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
LFR in World of Warcraft has a stacking buff called “determination” for each time the group wipes on a boss.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

food court bailiff posted:

I grabbed the Shadowgate remake for the Switch without knowing anything about the game past the infamous difficulty of the NES version. I'm playing it pretty much completely blind on Classic/Medium and having fun so far. First of all, I love that there's two different axes for difficulty, and the game explains what they do with a nice little paragraph instead of just letting you guess what they affect. Second, there's just something refreshing about a game that so openly despises the player. Grab a book? Whoops, you're dead. Touch some water? Dead. Click something in a dangerous room? Super dead. So far, a fair amount of them have been telegraphed a bit so if you're observant or cautious you can avoid them, I'm sure that will change later, but it's fun.

I watched a Japanese guy play through that game's Famicom version recently, I always find it fascinating watching Japanese people play through weird and cool western games like that since usually you only see the opposite. Guy really enjoyed it too.

As an interesting detail, in the Japanese version the protagonist himself narrates everything which makes the deaths both more grim and comical at the same time in a weird way. Like if you try to pass through a lava-filled room with no path through which ends up with him in the pool itself, the death quote is roughly "As if something causes me to suddenly lose my mind, I leap straight into the lava! Aagh! My body erupts in flames! Just as I expected, the lava burns like the flames of hell! Why would you make me do something like this?! Against my own free will, I am forced into an act of self-destruction."

It's a pretty neat bit of localization.

Kanfy has a new favorite as of 19:43 on Apr 12, 2019

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

You could also do it Saiyan-style - a game in which when you die you level up through experience gained based on what enemy killed you, and there is an achievement for getting through the entire game on level 1.

Saiyan style would be near-death, which might be easier to balance so you don't just suicide into everything. You get stronger boosts the closer you get to death, but you have to heal up to lock them in, and if you die before healing you lose anything not locked.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

In Shin Megami Tensei: If for the SNES, dying is what triggers your character to get a new guardian, which gives better stats and more spells. You get a stronger one the longer you go without dying, so you can't power up just by dying a bunch at a boss, but it does mean that if you play normally it's generally a bit of a power boost when you die. There's even a sword in the middle of the game that you can only get if you don't have a guardian at all (which means you haven't died once).

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Uncharted: Beating the game allows you to play as a comically fat version of Nathan.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

Maybe something like the opposite of Dark Souls, where instead of losing all your exp when you die, dying is what lets you actually spend it to level up.

Kind of like this:

Snake Maze posted:

In Shin Megami Tensei: If for the SNES, dying is what triggers your character to get a new guardian, which gives better stats and more spells. You get a stronger one the longer you go without dying, so you can't power up just by dying a bunch at a boss, but it does mean that if you play normally it's generally a bit of a power boost when you die. There's even a sword in the middle of the game that you can only get if you don't have a guardian at all (which means you haven't died once).

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

PubicMice posted:

Maybe something like the opposite of Dark Souls, where instead of losing all your exp when you die, dying is what lets you actually spend it to level up.

Kind of like this:

That’s what Rogue Legacy did. It wasn’t a great game, but the idea was sound

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

That’s what Rogue Legacy did. It wasn’t a great game, but the idea was sound

Fuckin Rogue Legacy...
A game that I really should have loved but it kept getting in my way.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It doesn't insult me. It annoys me. I've been playing videogames a long time and there have been plenty of hard challenges that require many attempts to get past. These games should have a toggle alongside the difficulty choice that lets you tell the game "look, I might not get it on the first try or even the thirtieth try, but I'm gonna keep trying so don't waste my time questioning my resolve".

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

Dead Rising 2 sort of works like this. When you die, you can either continue from the last save or restart the game with your XP and money carried over. While its possible to finish the game with a "fresh" character, its expected that you'll have to start over a few times to get the final ending.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Mamkute posted:

Uncharted: Beating the game allows you to play as a comically fat version of Nathan.

The most important part of this is that his voice is also pitch-shifted slightly downwards to give him a 'fat voice'.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Doc M posted:

Press down the brake trigger during the countdown, then hold down the accelerator as you release the brake. Your tires should start smoking at this point. Then when the countdown hits 1, release the accelerator and immediately press it back down. It's not the most intuitive thing in the world, but once you figure it out you'll be able to nail it pretty much every time.

That sounds really familiar, thanks!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Pyroclastic posted:

I loved how H:ZD's culture was almost entirely divorced from the previous civilization. Almost no one cared about it apart from trinkets like mugs. It was such a wholesale disconnection I was wondering just how long it had been since the apocalypse. The actual reason kinda blew me away.

Yeah, the reveal of what "Zero Dawn" means was pretty cool. Especially when you get to the facility where they were preparing for it and there were all the logs and stuff about the terrible psychological trauma the people working on the project were going through, mostly when they found out what it was.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

goodog posted:

Dead Rising 2 sort of works like this. When you die, you can either continue from the last save or restart the game with your XP and money carried over. While its possible to finish the game with a "fresh" character, its expected that you'll have to start over a few times to get the final ending.

Ratchet and Clank had this too, where when you died the exp you got from your weapons and level carry over. Those games are really fun because of this- you grind by trying to complete the level.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

I just love all the character designs in Hollow Knight they're so drat adorable and expressive for such a simple concept (bugs). I love how Hornets weapon is a needle and thread that she uses as a spear yoyo and eventually as a grappling hook to escape from you

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
In Sekiro, when an alerted enemy can't find you at the spot you were seen, instead of turning their back and walking away, they will slowly back away, while looking at everything around them until they reach their previous position.

Of course, you can do a 180 and stab their back anyway, but they're slowly evolving!

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah, the reveal of what "Zero Dawn" means was pretty cool. Especially when you get to the facility where they were preparing for it and there were all the logs and stuff about the terrible psychological trauma the people working on the project were going through, mostly when they found out what it was.

H:ZD is definitely my favorite story of the last couple years of games.The reveal of Ted Faro loving up the education was just heartwrenching.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

JPrime posted:

H:ZD is definitely my favorite story of the last couple years of games.The reveal of Ted Faro loving up the education was just heartwrenching.

God yes. When I have time I want to replay H:ZD. After I'm done with Okami, I think.

Bought the game because I liked the aesthetic. Loved the game way more than I expected, but I always was a sucker for a good science fiction. I'm afraid that the reason it's been a bit of a sleeper hit is because Aloy isn't sexualised, at all. Maybe I'm wrong, but it sure seems like that.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

RoboRodent posted:

God yes. When I have time I want to replay H:ZD. After I'm done with Okami, I think.

Bought the game because I liked the aesthetic. Loved the game way more than I expected, but I always was a sucker for a good science fiction. I'm afraid that the reason it's been a bit of a sleeper hit is because Aloy isn't sexualised, at all. Maybe I'm wrong, but it sure seems like that.

I like that Aloy is really self aware, like at one point an Npc admits that he thinks she'd be a good fit for his task because she is a bit intense or violent or something like that and her response is just "Heh, fair."

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BioEnchanted posted:

I like that Aloy is really self aware, like at one point an Npc admits that he thinks she'd be a good fit for his task because she is a bit intense or violent or something like that and her response is just "Heh, fair."

One thing I really liked was she's utterly unsurprised to learn the world is round from a hologram, because she'd figured that out on her own by just looking at the phases of the Moon.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RoboRodent posted:

I don't think it's really a sleeper hit at all. It sold 10 million copies and got tons of critical acclaim. It's a few years old at this point so it doesn't get a ton of discussion but for a console exclusive it did really well.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

One thing I really liked was she's utterly unsurprised to learn the world is round from a hologram, because she'd figured that out on her own by just looking at the phases of the Moon.

I like that her characterisation makes the sidequests make sense - a lot of games it's like "You are on a time limit or trying to find a missing family member, why are you helping this random person find a missing dog?" but in Aloy's case she gets a lot of little lines talking to herself like "What did you used to be?" or "Ah, so this place was a ______" that answers that question very clearly - Aloy is curious as gently caress. She has been tasked with something she was going to do anyway, solving a mystery, and she is all in on that poo poo. The Matriarch was just like "You're gonna go to these places anyway because I know you, so I'll give you special permission to do whatever the gently caress you want, just loop me in."

Hell one of the first sidequests is "I almost died in a dangerous machine nest with new things I hadn't seen before!" "Where is it, so that I can... totally avoid it and... not poke it with my stick and agitate it..."

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

BioEnchanted posted:

One different thing I always notice in Horizon Zero Dawn compared to other games of its type is how Aloy actually reacts like a human being to NPC dialogue. She'll say she's sorry and show compassion when some questgiver talks about how a machine ripped their entire family apart when in most other RPGs your response options are [GO ON] [PAY ME]

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

One different thing I always notice in Horizon Zero Dawn compared to other games of its type is how Aloy actually reacts like a human being to NPC dialogue. She'll say she's sorry and show compassion when some questgiver talks about how a machine ripped their entire family apart when in most other RPGs your response options are [GO ON] [PAY ME]

That's a really good point - most player characters are either really melodramatic, are violent lunatics, or have no personality whatsoever. Aloy feels like the sort of character where if you were ever pulled into that world, she'd at least say hi and show you around a bit, maybe introduce you to a local. She's one of the few characters you could just have a nice chat with, or go for a beer with, without her getting weird about it.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

BioEnchanted posted:

I like that her characterisation makes the sidequests make sense - a lot of games it's like "You are on a time limit or trying to find a missing family member, why are you helping this random person find a missing dog?" but in Aloy's case she gets a lot of little lines talking to herself like "What did you used to be?" or "Ah, so this place was a ______" that answers that question very clearly - Aloy is curious as gently caress. She has been tasked with something she was going to do anyway, solving a mystery, and she is all in on that poo poo. The Matriarch was just like "You're gonna go to these places anyway because I know you, so I'll give you special permission to do whatever the gently caress you want, just loop me in."

One of the cleverest things about Aloys characterization is that her personality traits line up nicely with what the player is expected to do, so it doesn't feel odd that she stumbles into a hidden robot factory or spends time climbing mountains to find old artifacts from another culture, or is sympathetic to others plights enough to quest for them.

Also back when the game was released you immediately know when a poster had reached a certain point in the plot because they'd invariably come back into the game thread cursing Ted Faros name, it was great.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

exquisite tea posted:

She was a person you could see the other characters wanting around, not just because she was their gopher slash mercenary.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
As someone who's never going to finish HZD, could someone spoil me on the whole Ted Faros thing?

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I finally had the money to buy a console a ouple of months ago and I chose a ps4 for the exclusives, primarily Horizon, and I never had any regrets. I had only seen some screenshots and a little bit of gameplay at a friend's, going in pretty much blind just knowing that the aesthetics and that type of sci fi is totally my jam, and it blew me away. It had been years, maybe a decade, since a game hooked me like it did, I just couldn't put it down.

Like you're all saying, Aloy had amazing characterisation, and the fact that most of the world was just as new to her as it was to me, the player, meant I was right there with her. The first time I took down some of the bigger beasties felt amazing, as did getting better at the game and figuring out their weaknesses. The first thundermaw felt like an accomplishment, but with the fifth or six, while still a challenge, I was confident making a plan and executing it.

Such a great game.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Patrick Spens posted:

As someone who's never going to finish HZD, could someone spoil me on the whole Ted Faros thing?

Basically (whole game spoilers)he was an arms manufacturer who created machines to fight wars for people - however those machines were fueled by biomass, and there was a glitch in the ai, and they started mulching everything that got in their way, Some of the robots were designed to revitalise front lines by making more robots, so they reproduced out of control and started wiping out all life on Earth.

He hired a scientist to figure out how to stop them, and she came up with the Zero Dawn protocol, a solution so horrifying that Ted objected to it, claiming that the cure was worse than the disease, but at that point it was all that could be done - gather experts in every field, and create 2 things - 1: A repository of all human knowledge and experience so that their information could live on, and 2: a cluster of AIs to recreate hte world after it ended, because the machines were unstoppable, and the only thing to be done was to wait for them to eat all biomass available and fall dormant, starving themselves into a coma. (The Metal Flowers were collections on plant seeds that after the core AI deemed it ready, released seeds into the world and allowed plant life to restart, and some new machines were created by the AIs to till the soil and clean the air and water) It was a race to create an archive on all earth life dna samples before the machines ate them, although unfortunately most species went extinct before tissue samples could be obtained. While all of this was going on, Ted created a backdoor into the network, and activated a protocol after the world had ended to wipe the entire archive with the excuse that humanity would only repeat it's mistakes (although he really just wanted to stop future generations learning what he'd done) and also jettisoned all the air from the scientist's bunker, killing the engineers who worked on Zero Dawn, and dooming the recreated humans into a new stone age.

I may have missed a few things but that's the gist.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 19:43 on Apr 13, 2019

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
gently caress Ted Faro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I was going to mention this one, but there another bit that I really liked, from a sidequest where a girl has a Romeo & Juliet romance. She explains how she is hopelessly in love and she never felt such a wonderful thing and how great it is to have someone at your side in such a way and then tells Aloy "well, but you know how this is, right?" and she just goes "...no :( "

It's a sharp reminder of how much she missed by being an outcast from the tribe and the delivery is great.