Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’ll take back it wasn’t as bad as I said. There was def a few threads that turned me off but checking back now it’s not horrific.

I just don’t trust a bunch of nerds to discuss certain things with any kind of tact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

Just a Labyrinth update, I’ve gotten emails with addresses from everyone but two people (I’ll check when I get home and figure out which two and post here as a reminder).

Here’s the game plan:
Tonight I’m going to package everything up and type up the addresses.
Tomorrow I’m going to print the addresses at work and tape them to the packages.
Saturday morning I’m going to take everything to the post office and unleash this horrible scourge upon you all ship everything out. :woop:

thanks so much for this xeno. your unabashed enthusiasm for and participation in all things ALIEN is super cool, and your desire to spread this to others is really admirable

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Is there any way I could get mine before anyone else’s thanks

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

oldpainless posted:

Is there any way I could get mine before anyone else’s thanks

come on in your fuckers, old painless is waiting

l33tfuzzbox
Apr 3, 2009

Leavemywife posted:

Thanks to those who tossed extra money Xeno's way. I was going to, but the radiator in my wife's car just took a poo poo, and we don't currently know if we have to buy a new car or if they'll be able to fix it. :smith:

I waa going to send him like 4 or 5 bucks but im adding 3 to help cover for you. Ill be paypalling in the morning when my check pops up xeno.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

I kicked in 15 so anyone who can’t do it right now don’t feel too bad about it

l33tfuzzbox
Apr 3, 2009

l33tfuzzbox posted:

I waa going to send him like 4 or 5 bucks but im adding 3 to help cover for you. Ill be paypalling in the morning when my check pops up xeno.

Paid. Thanks again for doing this man

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Man, Cold Forge is the loving BOMB. I'm shocked at how good this is so far.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

l33tfuzzbox posted:

Thank you, but you don't need to worry about it. As it turns out, the issue was just a little hose that made things seem much worse than they actually were. It was a $26 fix.

I hope you see this before you chip in. I'd have checked the thread earlier, but between work and a very crabby baby, I didn't have time. I'm really hoping you haven't already sent the extra money.

Leave fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Apr 12, 2019

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I wonder if this guy does birthday parties too

https://twitter.com/mexicansoflate/status/1115056816063426560

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Is he doing the snoopy dance?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

MrMojok posted:

Man, Cold Forge is the loving BOMB. I'm shocked at how good this is so far.

You talking about the novel? I thought it started off strong but have been losing interest about when Murphy's start to hit the fan.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Yeah. Is it a comic book too? Or was it a comic first?

l33tfuzzbox
Apr 3, 2009

Leavemywife posted:

Thank you, but you don't need to worry about it. As it turns out, the issue was just a little hose that made things seem much worse than they actually were. It was a $26 fix.

I hope you see this before you chip in. I'd have checked the thread earlier, but between work and a very crabby baby, I didn't have time. I'm really hoping you haven't already sent the extra money.

I did but no worries. Maybe it can help another goon or put a few bucks in xenos pocket. Eithrt way im happy.

Glad it was an easy fix! Car troubles always brutalize my finances.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

MrMojok posted:

Yeah. Is it a comic book too? Or was it a comic first?
Cold Forge? It's just a novel.

The early Aliens novels were all adaptations of comic books; everything from 2005 onward have been original novels.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Xenomrph posted:

Just a Labyrinth update, I’ve gotten emails with addresses from everyone but two people (I’ll check when I get home and figure out which two and post here as a reminder).

Here’s the game plan:
Tonight I’m going to package everything up and type up the addresses.
Tomorrow I’m going to print the addresses at work and tape them to the packages.
Saturday morning I’m going to take everything to the post office and unleash this horrible scourge upon you all ship everything out. :woop:

Forums user :siren: Riatsala :siren: , you are being publicly shamed for not sending me your address.

Or if you did send it, then I'm a dumbass and I accidentally deleted it or something, in which case I am publicly shaming myself.

Either way, please send/re-send me your address!

Everyone else, I've got your addresses and I'll be printing/packaging everything tomorrow so I can mail it out Saturday morning.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

l33tfuzzbox posted:

I did but no worries. Maybe it can help another goon or put a few bucks in xenos pocket. Eithrt way im happy.

Glad it was an easy fix! Car troubles always brutalize my finances.

Ah, drat, I was hoping to catch you before you did. I appreciate it, though, and thank you.

I'm glad it was an easy fix, too, because it really seemed like we were going to have to get a new car, and we've already had to get a fair few things fixed.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
McSpanky’s Labyrinth is in the mail :)

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

david_a posted:

Speaking of:

Off to the post office.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

New short is up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYgoolcKszc

This is probably the worst one so far, drat.

sigher fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 13, 2019

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

david_a posted:

:tipshat:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

s.i.r.e. posted:

New short is up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYgoolcKszc

This is probably the worst one so far, drat.

Bad

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I drove thru little chute wi on my way too door county and will again on the way back. RIP amanda ripley mcclaren

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/atlasobscura/status/1032064307247435777

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Don’t believe the propaganda, that gargoyle has been there since the original construction - concrete proof that Xenomorphs are real and have been present on earth for centuries. :tinfoil:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That’s a little more than “strongly resembles” lmao

Did Dick Miller drown a xeno in cement too?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

If anyone likes to read Alien novels the way I do, I hope this warning reaches you in time:

Skip the novelization of Resurrection. Don’t even think about it. It is probably the worst bit of Aliens fiction I’ve read, and that includes some fanfic.

I was going to list everything that’s bad about it but I’ve decided not to even waste time on that. I will just mention one thing:

The aliens can read.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MrMojok posted:

I was going to list everything that’s bad about it but I’ve decided not to even waste time on that. I will just mention one thing:

The aliens can read.

Hahahaha holy gently caress :psyduck: No, please, go into more detail, because that sounds amazing

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MrMojok posted:

The aliens can read.

Whaddya mean they can read, they're fuckin' animals!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

You can't post that without giving us details. Spill it.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

LOL, OK. I will post a couple of excerpts when I get back home in a couple of hours.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So I'm reading Aliens: Salvation, a comic done by loving Dave Gibbons and Mike Mignola

It lives up to that pedigree so far, even if it takes a while to actually involve Xenomorphs in any significant way

e:

e2: that loving owned, now reading Aliens: Dead Orbit which also owns (and is also gory and nasty as all gently caress, which is nice, especially with James Stokoe art)

e3: holy loving poo poo everyone go read Dead Orbit right now

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 14, 2019

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

MrMojok posted:

If anyone likes to read Alien novels the way I do, I hope this warning reaches you in time:

Skip the novelization of Resurrection. Don’t even think about it. It is probably the worst bit of Aliens fiction I’ve read, and that includes some fanfic.

The aliens can read.

Haha I promise it would not be a wasted effort if you posted about it. I would love to read how awful it is.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I'm sure my fellow Alien fans will recall the scene where Brad Dourif's character Dr. Gediman has his face plastered to the transparent window into one of the alien holding cells. An alien shoots its inner jaws at the plexiglass, right at his face. He gets pissed and douses it with liquid nitrogen, to teach it a lesson. Here, from the novelization, the thoughts of that drone:

alien drone posted:

The big warrior quivered in the small, strange place, his rage boundless.

That little, soft prey hurt me, burned me!

He whipped his tail in fury, as he watched the prey manipulate his devices, perform functions the warrior could only guess at. The warrior stared at the dangerous red pad in reach of the small being. He read the words “Fail-safe,” written beside it, and “Warning! Nitrogen jets!” He watched the small creature—the name “Gediman” printed on it—as it made words appear on a device it held.

Earlier, Wren, Gediman, and General Perez are looking at the queen, in her holding cell:

alien queen posted:

One of the humans was talking to the others. That’s all the humans seemed to do, stand and view her and talk with one another. She didn’t understand them, but then, she didn’t need to. She knew the colony had faced them before. There had been victories, there had been defeats. There would be victory again. She could wait. She was good at waiting, even if right now, she was bored to death.

The name on one of the observers’ garment read “Peréz.” The names on the other two read “Gediman,” and “Wren.” The sign over the mechanism that opened the door they had entered through read, YOU MUST SUMMON THE GUARD ON DUTY BEFORE THE DOOR WILL BE OPENED. It said the same thing in six other languages and she could read those languages. She didn’t question how she could do those things, any more than she questioned how she could breathe, or think, or eliminate. She just did them.

I think the idea here is that since the Queen came from Ripley, and has her DNA, it can read. But seems like this also means all queens who came from humans can read. And their offspring can too.

There are some other things that annoy me about this book. One of them is that the author like to use exclamation points to emphasize actions. It's just something that has always seemed amateurish to me.

quote:

In three quick moves he had the gun assembled and armed. Still moving with slow, easy motions, he aimed the gun at the ceiling…
And fired!

Perhaps I'm being too harsh on this novelization? I dunno.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

lol, they can read because they have Ripley's DNA, the DNA that allows humans to read English. :lol:

That really is stupid.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

That sounds really bad

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

I read the whole thing when I was 10 because I wasn't allowed to see R-rated movies, but it was perfectly fine to read the same content.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Does it also include the line from the original script about how Weyland-Yutani was bought out by Walmart?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Indeed it does!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I'd love to see more of this book. I kind of want to read it, to revel in how terrible it seems, but I think a highlight reel would serve the same purpose.