Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Sockington posted:

I’m sitting here on the St. Clair River waiting to launch my steel boat and starting ripping some Walleyes. :sweatdrop:

My man, I used to fish in Algonac (north channel I think?) and Port Huron by the bridge. My bro still fishes at Marine City.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Just bought a $200 cast net with a gift card to catch some bait. Hopefully this weeks cold front didn’t push it out. Excited as gently caress for tomorrow.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Sockington posted:

Almost nothing is closed in Zone 19 - Bass until end of June, Musky, and that’s kind of it. Free range on everything else.

Oh nice, didn't realize that! That's basically just all of Lake Erie?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Another issue with the closed-face spinning reels: if you ever use one in salt water I hope you have a good time, because it's the last time you'll ever use it.

I've got cabin fever enough that I'm gonna drive down to the Neuse to catfish tomorrow and maybe jig for shad. Never jigged for shad before in my life, so I should look entertainingly stupid.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

So, who has opinions about having a snap (not necessarily a swivel, just a snap) at the end of their line for jigs and lures, like instead of a Rapala knot?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Wading river fisherman here, I pretty much always keep a duolock snap and ball bearing swivel on the end of my line, I mostly throw home made spinners and soft plastics, targeting bass, pike and trout

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

So, who has opinions about having a snap (not necessarily a swivel, just a snap) at the end of their line for jigs and lures, like instead of a Rapala knot?

I do when fishing crankbaits in freshwater. It's easier than retying. if it costs me a tackle-shy fish or two in the long run, whatever, I'm fishing catch and release anyway.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

gently caress- I meant to quote prom candy and make a new reply but apparently wiped out my old one.

tesilential fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 2, 2019

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I don't trust any of my knots except my palomar so for big lures i usually use a snap or a swivel just because it's a pain to tie a palomar around anything hefty. maybe this year i'll learn why all my other knots come unraveled.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Tie to jigs with a double uni or palormar with the knot in the middle of the eye so the jig hangs horizontal.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Yeah I've always just used a Palomar. That way when I launch it into a tree I'm only out $11.99 for the lure instead of $12.02 for the lure + swivel/snap.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

no swivel for plastic worms or floating minnows, just because they act weird. I'll use them for just about any other lure though.

A late start to my year last week, but I've had worse beginnings I guess

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I've been able to tie an oddball version of a cinch knot that usually snaps line before it pulls through, so unless I'm using a snell for soft plastic fun times, I just tie it. Even on heavy braid, I can drag a stump back to the boat before it breaks. I've learned to tie a palomar knot to try it, but theres just not enough difference in movement in something like a jig to really justify tying it most of the time.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

All the time for hard body lures and metals. For soft plastics I’ll tie directly to the jighead.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

prom candy posted:

I don't trust any of my knots except my palomar so for big lures i usually use a snap or a swivel just because it's a pain to tie a palomar around anything hefty. maybe this year i'll learn why all my other knots come unraveled.

Google “canoe man’s loop knot”

I can tie it faster than you can open and close a snap. It’s probably the quickest knot out there. Works from panfish to Tarpon.

Tip: when cinching the knot, just hold the lure/hook and tag end down in one hand, and pull up only on the main line to cinch. If you tug on the lure or tag end the loop will collapse and not cinch.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I was messing around with that one last summer and I did have much better luck with it when I managed to tie it, need to work on it some more because it was pretty good. I dunno what's up with my clinch/improved clinch knots but they always come unraveled. I think maybe because I'm left handed or something I'm doing one step backwards and the whole thing completely loses integrity.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Thanks for the terminal tackle ideas, y'all! One of my goals this year is to shift away from bait and focus more on lure fishing. I've been making tons of jigheads of various size and shape, I'm just not great with them yet.

prom candy posted:

I was messing around with that one last summer and I did have much better luck with it when I managed to tie it, need to work on it some more because it was pretty good. I dunno what's up with my clinch/improved clinch knots but they always come unraveled. I think maybe because I'm left handed or something I'm doing one step backwards and the whole thing completely loses integrity.

The uniknot will set you free in situations like this. Also a double uni might not technically be better than an FG knot for joining lines, but it's way faster and easier to tie and will do the job more often than not.

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Wading river fisherman here, I pretty much always keep a duolock snap and ball bearing swivel on the end of my line, I mostly throw home made spinners and soft plastics, targeting bass, pike and trout

Would you contribute to a tacklecraft thread if one existed? I've been wanting to talk shop about that and it doesn't seem like there's any good thread to do it in without derailing things.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Thanks for the terminal tackle ideas, y'all! One of my goals this year is to shift away from bait and focus more on lure fishing. I've been making tons of jigheads of various size and shape, I'm just not great with them yet.

The uniknot will set you free in situations like this. Also a double uni might not technically be better than an FG knot for joining lines, but it's way faster and easier to tie and will do the job more often than not.

Would you contribute to a tacklecraft thread if one existed? I've been wanting to talk shop about that and it doesn't seem like there's any good thread to do it in without derailing things.

Yeah I’d enjoy participating in a thread like that. I think we have a few other posters here that make their own lures too. If we included fly tying that would probably be worthy of a standalone thread

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Anything with wrapping seems to always unravel when I do it. I think I have a wrapping disability.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

prom candy posted:

Anything with wrapping seems to always unravel when I do it. I think I have a wrapping disability.

It's worth practicing. Keep this page open in a tab for reference while you practice, make sure your wraps don't overlap when you tighten the line, and don't be embarrassed if it takes you a few times to tie a good knot. Don't give up!

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Yeah I’d enjoy participating in a thread like that. I think we have a few other posters here that make their own lures too. If we included fly tying that would probably be worthy of a standalone thread

Awesome! I've been waiting to make an OP until I have some content to post, but if anybody beats me to it that's totally cool with me.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I use snaps or snap swivels on everything unless the packaging specifically says not to. Most of the time i have medium, light, and ultralight rigs with me and I'm constantly switching poo poo until i find something that's producing.

The time i spent tying leads with non-slip loops onto my lures has been far, far less than the time I'd have spent tying on lures on the water.

I also don't catch any fish so take it for what it's worth

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I'm about to poo poo myself. I was checking out garage sales and found this:

Not shown: 6 orvis reels. New waders and boots. Three orvis tackle bags. A St Croix travel feather weight spin rod and Shimano reel.

Whew. 5/4/9 wt orvis rods. A 3 wt High Sierra bamboo rod.
A dozen fly boxes with probably several hundred flies of all fresh water variety. Lanyards and accessories. Complete fly tying kit with high end tools and materials in a stand. All never or barely used.

I got the whole lot from an uber-goon who is getting rid of dad's estate and gave no shits and will most likely spend the money on a lovely QP and fortnite skins. I won't say exactly how much but it was cheap. So cheap that even though I already have all the fly fishing/tying gear I could ever use I bought it anyways. I'm going to try and square trade the whole lot for camera gear. gently caress I can't believe how lucky I just got.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Tasting his dads heavenly tears from here.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
It's weird. The dad loaded up on orvis gear in the early teens and never used it. I mean fuckin loaded up on it. I wonder what the story is and how much he hated his fat weeb son who reeked of weed and cat piss.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Tasting his dads heavenly tears from here.

I think the opposite. I think that dad is going "Goddamn good, someone will finally catch some fuckin fish".

Do that dad proud, catch some cool critters.

Edit: I supposedly 'found' a good spot to go fishing for some golden trout in the Sierra's, and I've shaved off a mile from the last place I was looking at. If any goons have a spot that's more accessible to a fatty like me than 8 miles from a trailhead I'll happily tip/trade information to catch one of these fish. It's something my late Uncle wanted, but he was obviously keeping his spot a secret until we got there.

Chaosfeather fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 13, 2019

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Chaosfeather posted:

I think the opposite. I think that dad is going "Goddamn good, someone will finally catch some fuckin fish".

Do that dad proud, catch some cool critters.

Edit: I supposedly 'found' a good spot to go fishing for some golden trout in the Sierra's, and I've shaved off a mile from the last place I was looking at. If any goons have a spot that's more accessible to a fatty like me than 8 miles from a trailhead I'll happily tip/trade information to catch one of these fish. It's something my late Uncle wanted, but he was obviously keeping his spot a secret until we got there.

Maybe he found out it’s not actually his son.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

King of Bees posted:

I'm about to poo poo myself. I was checking out garage sales and found this:

Not shown: 6 orvis reels. New waders and boots. Three orvis tackle bags. A St Croix travel feather weight spin rod and Shimano reel.

Whew. 5/4/9 wt orvis rods. A 3 wt High Sierra bamboo rod.
A dozen fly boxes with probably several hundred flies of all fresh water variety. Lanyards and accessories. Complete fly tying kit with high end tools and materials in a stand. All never or barely used.

I got the whole lot from an uber-goon who is getting rid of dad's estate and gave no shits and will most likely spend the money on a lovely QP and fortnite skins. I won't say exactly how much but it was cheap. So cheap that even though I already have all the fly fishing/tying gear I could ever use I bought it anyways. I'm going to try and square trade the whole lot for camera gear. gently caress I can't believe how lucky I just got.

Nice kilim

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Thanks! Wife picked it up in Doha.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Speaking of fly fishing, anyone got some particular good spots in New Mexico they're willing to share? I'm hoping to hike in to the Rio Mora this summer, and I'd like to get up to the lower parts of the Jemez in the next month or so, but any specific spots would be appreciated.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

Speaking of fly fishing, anyone got some particular good spots in New Mexico they're willing to share? I'm hoping to hike in to the Rio Mora this summer, and I'd like to get up to the lower parts of the Jemez in the next month or so, but any specific spots would be appreciated.

Looks like there's trout in that river so your chances seem pretty decent. Google Earth is a really great resource for scouting a river for areas which look like they'd hold trout. You probably know that already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgGAi8h57tk These dudes aren't fly fishing, but they're on the Rio Mora catching trout. Maybe it will help with some ideas though.

titties
May 10, 2012

If any off you are Michigoons and you live somewhere in the middle of the state then come hang out with me at the trout derby next week.

Lake Billings in Manton, four hours north of Detroit, four hours south of the bridge. Starts Friday night, April 27th.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
So out of all this gear I'm keeping the 3wt banty bamboo and one of the CFO reels. So much fun fighting a little bass on a tiny fly rod.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Sooooo, while cleaning out my closet I found an Orvis fly rod case. Which means the fly rod hanging in the rafters in my shed that I've never looked at might be an Orvis. It would likely be a 70's/80's model that has sat in that shed for around 30 years untouched. Is it worth dragging it down to sell? I'm not really in a place where fly fishing is A THING, otherwise I'd give it a shot.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
If it's bamboo, for sure. If it isn't it's probably fiberglass and I'm not sure of their value these days. I don't think it's much.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

You should just send any worthless Orvis fiberglass poles to me and I'll dispose of them.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I finally broke the dry spell! Last week, first cast on a new pond with a cheapo silver blade bait, WHAM caught this monster

What a scamp. Also got two nice little bluegills. Last night, we went to a very popular pond and tried our luck there, it had been stocked recently but was veerryyy busy with people. My shoulder is hurting, so I limited myself to very light tackle and bait fishing with corn. Nothing big hit, but tiny dink bluegills kept me amused by biting on the bobber, the line, the bait, everything except the hook. Cuties.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Elmnt80 posted:

Sooooo, while cleaning out my closet I found an Orvis fly rod case. Which means the fly rod hanging in the rafters in my shed that I've never looked at might be an Orvis. It would likely be a 70's/80's model that has sat in that shed for around 30 years untouched. Is it worth dragging it down to sell? I'm not really in a place where fly fishing is A THING, otherwise I'd give it a shot.

Catch some bluegill on a fly. It'll be fun.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Seriously, catching little fish with a super light fly rod can be the funniest and funnest fishing you will ever have. If I hook on to a half pound bass with this three weight it's gonna be a crazy fight!

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

King of Bees posted:

Seriously, catching little fish with a super light fly rod can be the funniest and funnest fishing you will ever have. If I hook on to a half pound bass with this three weight it's gonna be a crazy fight!

drat straight. Got a 6-inch Brown Trout and a handful of Bluegill on tenkara today, always extra fun. One of the Bluegill was a big boy and felt like I caught the back end of a truck. Can't recommend it enough, they fight like the dickens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titties
May 10, 2012

I was reading this year's fishing regulations and it stuck out to me that it's illegal to harvest freshwater clams and mussels in Michigan.

It reminded me of the time i was crappie fishing with one of those multiple-hook crappie rigs. After some time with no action, I reeled in to find a mess of snarled hooks with a crawfish clamped down on one and a clam on the other.

What is some weird poo poo you unintentionally caught?