Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Electric Bugaloo posted:

If you were worried you could shim it but it’s prob fine.

Okay thanks, that's a relief! Pretty much all the "48 inch vanities" are 49 inches wide so there's not much else I could do anyway. What do you mean by shim exactly? I'm pretty new to all of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

there wolf posted:

Almost off the front page, let's see what dumb poo poo I have stashed away...

Is this honestly a bathroom in a private home? Because the fast-casual-restaurant restroom vibes are loving profound.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

there wolf posted:

Almost off the front page, let's see what dumb poo poo I have stashed away...

The shower saves space by letting you wash just one half of your body at a time

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
That shower is just a pass through to the bedroom and it's the only way in

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

actionjackson posted:

Okay thanks, that's a relief! Pretty much all the "48 inch vanities" are 49 inches wide so there's not much else I could do anyway. What do you mean by shim exactly? I'm pretty new to all of this.

A wedge you use to hold something in place. If the top isn't wobbling then it should be fine, but the gap is a little unattractive. Is it hidden pretty well under the overhang, or do you need to think about some kind of patch?

Antivehicular posted:

Is this honestly a bathroom in a private home? Because the fast-casual-restaurant restroom vibes are loving profound.

I don't know what it is. I was thinking it was a public restroom of sorts with an optional show they didn't expect to get much use, so they made it tiny. But then why the double sinks in the same room?

there wolf fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Apr 13, 2019

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

there wolf posted:

A wedge you use to hold something in place. If the top isn't wobbling then it should be fine, but the gap is a little unattractive. Is it hidden pretty well under the overhang, or do you need to think about some kind of patch?

It's not visible at all. But I think having something to cover the gap would probably be a good idea anyway.

How long should it take for the caulk to set?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

actionjackson posted:

I attached my new vanity top. Unfortunately even though it's classified as a "48 inch" vanity top it's actually 49 inches. However it says it fits a 48x21 vanity which is what I have. After putting it on (my vanity is in the right corner of the bathroom) it overshoots the left edge by a bit, i.e. the vanity top doesn't actually touch the left top edge of the vanity. The caulking is touching fine in the back and right side, and the front. Is this an issue?

Pretty much every vanity tabletop or sink will overshoot the vanity itself by a centimeter or two just so any water dripping off the edge has a greater chance of dripping past the vanity rather than getting on it and potentially damaging the wood. Of course, depending on the manufacturer, sometimes the listed width is the sink, other times it's the vanity itself. A good reason to always double check those measurements if your space is extremely limited.

The only exception tends to be acrylic-based(i.e. it's loving plastic, no matter what they tell you or what fancy name they give it) sinks which occasionally run perfectly flush with the vanity. Of course, these sinks are also garbage that will scratch up unless you're super careful about cleaning and you can't use 90% of all cleaning products without dissolving them. So just get ceramic, glass, stone or one of the good alternatives.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Antivehicular posted:

What's worse: this being a private bathroom, or a shower in a restaurant bathroom?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

The Bloop posted:

Whoever built the shower took "half bath" a little too literally

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

The Bloop posted:

It's actually the Tardis for the new season of Dr. Who.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

actionjackson posted:

It's not visible at all. But I think having something to cover the gap would probably be a good idea anyway.

How long should it take for the caulk to set?

You might need some foam filler if the gap is large. Something like this.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
What about a nice thicc bead of silicone caulk?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
It's a 1/4" gap per the OP, caulk can handle that no problem.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Yep. And I would do it in two stages if it's gonna be a deep fill.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

actionjackson posted:

Okay here you go. I just talked to the guy at the home depot. He said it should be fine. The gap is about 1/4 inch between the vanity edge and the vanity top edge. I think the reason this happened is because the vanity is in the back right corner, so I can't center it, i.e. the extra inch all has to be on the left side. I'm just going to wipe up the caulk that's in there.

Late to the game, but caulk and a strip of quarter-round molding is how most installers would finish this. The overhang is quite normal.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Goober Peas posted:

Late to the game, but caulk and a strip of quarter-round molding is how most installers would finish this. The overhang is quite normal.

Yup and at home depot you can cut your 1/4" round to length, and, you can get vinyl instead of actual wood so it won't swell and rot from all the bathroom moisture. But, the cut-off end will want a little paint or something.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Goober Peas posted:

Okay I will do that. Can you point me to an example of the moulding you are talking about?

Here is the (essentially finished) vanity as I completed the new faucet install today. Had to a get new water supply lines and a PVC tube extension. Obviously I'm going to remove the caulk lines from the sidesplash area and then paint the side and back to match the walls. Another option is to put some sort of tile thing between the small backsplash and the mirror. That area is 2.25 inches tall.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 13, 2019

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Building-Materials-Moulding-Millwork-Moulding/Quarter-Round/N-5yc1vZara1Z1z135qo

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

thanks! Once I get that I will run caulk in the gap and then use that to attack the moulding.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I vote paint over tile, unless you're really worried about water splashes ruining something.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

there wolf posted:

I vote paint over tile, unless you're really worried about water splashes ruining something.

I just want to make sure there isn't any issue with the paint not handling water very well. It's a latex paint but that's all I know about it.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

actionjackson posted:

thanks! Once I get that I will run caulk in the gap and then use that to attack the moulding.

You probably want to use appropriate sized finish nails into the vanity rather than caulk to attach the quarter-round.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

actionjackson posted:

I just want to make sure there isn't any issue with the paint not handling water very well. It's a latex paint but that's all I know about it.

One way around this is to put a clear coat of polyurethane or clear epoxy over the painted tiles. Poly yellows over time, so if it were me, I'd use clear garage floor epoxy. Lowe's sells a Rustoleum brand kit in their paint department

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Goober Peas posted:

You probably want to use appropriate sized finish nails into the vanity rather than caulk to attach the quarter-round.

Do I want to nail from the inside or the outside? I assume the inside so the nail isn't showing on the outside.

I do have one other question - I'm getting my fiberglass tub/shower refinished and so I've been replacing all the gross fixtures while I'm at it. There is this grab bar that I want to remove - it looks to be PVC of some type, and it's completely solid. I tried cutting it with a hacksaw in the middle but I'm pretty sure I will need some sort of power tool to cut it into pieces. I'm just wondering if you know how something like this is attached? Am I actually going to be able to get it out, or do you think it's permanent (i.e. is there something holding it on from behind the shower wall)?

Also if I do remove it, is there something I can use to cover those two holes so water doesn't spill out?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

actionjackson posted:

Do I want to nail from the inside or the outside? I assume the inside so the nail isn't showing on the outside.

I do have one other question - I'm getting my fiberglass tub/shower refinished and so I've been replacing all the gross fixtures while I'm at it. There is this grab bar that I want to remove - it looks to be PVC of some type, and it's completely solid. I tried cutting it with a hacksaw in the middle but I'm pretty sure I will need some sort of power tool to cut it into pieces. I'm just wondering if you know how something like this is attached? Am I actually going to be able to get it out, or do you think it's permanent (i.e. is there something holding it on from behind the shower wall)?

Also if I do remove it, is there something I can use to cover those two holes so water doesn't spill out?

The bar is made of clear acrylic, and likely has flanges at the rear that will surely be fused to the fiberglass backside of the shower surround. There will be no easy solution to removing it cleanly, nor an easy repair for the penetration holes

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

The bar is made of clear acrylic, and likely has flanges at the rear that will surely be fused to the fiberglass backside of the shower surround. There will be no easy solution to removing it cleanly, nor an easy repair for the penetration holes

Okay thanks. The people doing the refinishing said they could remove it and plug the holes for like 100 bucks (lol) so I assume they have some magical equipment or whatever.

At the very least perhaps it could be removed enough so that I could put a new bar over the space.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

actionjackson posted:

Okay thanks. The people doing the refinishing said they could remove it and plug the holes for like 100 bucks (lol) so I assume they have some magical equipment or whatever.

At the very least perhaps it could be removed enough so that I could put a new bar over the space.

The refinishers will have a far better technique and/or tools for removal and repair than you can without their specialized tools and knowledge. $100 may sound like a lot, but those are big holes to fill and blend. It's not an unreasonable number

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
It’s like a couple of extra hours of work, $100 sounds fine

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

actionjackson posted:

Nail from the outside, downward toward the cabinet using finishing nails. If you're using a pneumatic gun you won't have an issue countersinking the nails, but if not, you'll need to pick up a nail set to get them flush.

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/apply-quarter-round-trim-82831.html

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Okay cool thanks for the info. I'll pick up the vinyl moulding.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

if I was gonna remove that bar, I'd cut it off flush with a sawzall and then drill it through with a big bit, then get in the hole with a keyhole saw and chop it up into bits, and then ream that out, and then stand back and look at the horrible mess I'd made and cry

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

I would assume they are just going to cut it off as flush as possible, then just take a hole saw slightly bigger than the bar to it, then epoxy in a plug to seal it off. You'll probably be able to see it, but it shouldn't look too bad.

Finally getting to the point in our remodel where it's time to start finalizing all the finishes and buying furniture. I don't think we will be doing anything to end up in this thread. We aren't putting any upper cabinets in our kitchen tho, which we have been told is crazy. Also, granite slabs are loving expensive.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

slurry_curry posted:

I would assume they are just going to cut it off as flush as possible, then just take a hole saw slightly bigger than the bar to it, then epoxy in a plug to seal it off. You'll probably be able to see it, but it shouldn't look too bad.

Finally getting to the point in our remodel where it's time to start finalizing all the finishes and buying furniture. I don't think we will be doing anything to end up in this thread. We aren't putting any upper cabinets in our kitchen tho, which we have been told is crazy. Also, granite slabs are loving expensive.

Are you doing open shelving, or just don't like reaching up for things? I'm planning on ripping out the uppers in my kitchen, too, but I'm putting in an old pie chest for ups and plates so I don't have to stoop for them.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

There are going to be some open shelves, not exactly sure how many tho. Part of the problem is with the window and range hood placement there would be barely any room for uppers anyway. There will be uppers on one wall where the fridge and double wall ovens are going, but there only going to be 26" between them. Hopefully we will have enough storage, the pantry should help tho.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Did the painting today. Also I got the vinyl quarter moulding. The depth of the vanity is 21" but I'm going to to 20" because there's a little ridge that sticks out at the front end so it wouldn't be flush there. I got some white finishing nails and a 1/32" nailset. How many nails would you recommend using? And you said I want to nail from the outside, starting at the top part of the moulding and going at a downward angle correct?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The nails just need to be enough to hold it in place; it's not really carrying any load to speak of. I'd say put them every 12-18" with one within an inch or two of each end.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

if I was gonna remove that bar, I'd cut it off flush with a sawzall and then drill it through with a big bit, then get in the hole with a keyhole saw and chop it up into bits, and then ream that out, and then stand back and look at the horrible mess I'd made and cry

I'd burn it off beyond the inside of the opening with a soldering pen myself, but then again, I'd rip out the fiberglass altogether and build a tile shower bc I know how and have the tools to do these things

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

I'd burn it off beyond the inside of the opening with a soldering pen myself, but then again, I'd rip out the fiberglass altogether and build a tile shower bc I know how and have the tools to do these things

I got an estimate for replacing it with a walk in shower but it was at least 8k

cool flex tho

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

actionjackson posted:

I got an estimate for replacing it with a walk in shower but it was at least 8k

cool flex tho

If you say so. Building is my profession

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'm trying to nail this quarter molding in but having trouble. First off all just because of the angle, but mainly because the end of the vanity top is right above it, i.e. <1/2 inch. So I can't really hammer it much without running into the vanity top edge, and I certainly don't want to damage that. I tried using that 1/32" nailset but I everytime I'd hit that it would come off the nail.