Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Some miniscule damage yeah, depends how fast the beaten-up needles can drain him. Similar situation to Shiggy, when he's roughly the size of Gigantomachia's finger - how much damage could his palm do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nephthys posted:

I just assumed Gigantomachia was too tough for Shigaraki to disintegrate. He's got to have a limit to his quirk, right?

Well, the first use of his quirk we saw (or, saw the effects of; the gate was whole at the start of the chapter, we got a panel showing the back of Shiggy's head, then at the end of the chapter it was destroyed) was this:

I'm going to say that Gigantomachia is within any hypothetical size limit he may or may not have, as well as any toughness one.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Roland Jones posted:

Well, the first use of his quirk we saw (or, saw the effects of; the gate was whole at the start of the chapter, we got a panel showing the back of Shiggy's head, then at the end of the chapter it was destroyed) was this:

I'm going to say that Gigantomachia is within any hypothetical size limit he may or may not have, as well as any toughness one.

Given those gates aren't entirely disintegrated, that does support there being a limitation to his quirk, not that it's relevant when it comes to killing people.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

And disentigrating a chunk of Gigantomachia sounds like a great way to actually damage him if Shigi does have a size limit.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

1. Did Shiggy think up this strategy after playing Dark Souls?
2. I wonder how powerful Manga Fukudashi would be if he started using words from Finnegan's Wake? Stronger than All Might?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I finally decided to sit down and catch up on what I had missed since just before Seven New Quirks and boy am I glad we're out of that super nothing test arc.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Toga is a dang ninja so she is by default already more useful than everyone else in the Alliance at a baseline

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Waffleman_ posted:

I finally decided to sit down and catch up on what I had missed since just before Seven New Quirks and boy am I glad we're out of that super nothing test arc.

Can't wait for the half-season of the anime that's just that!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Arist posted:

Can't wait for the half-season of the anime that's just that!

GOD. The only saving grace is that a lot of the chapters were like half length so maybe the adaptation will only be like a few episodes.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Bakugou's match will probably only be half an episode.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Eopia posted:

Given those gates aren't entirely disintegrated, that does support there being a limitation to his quirk, not that it's relevant when it comes to killing people.

Yes, but it still shows that, if Shiggy had used Disintegrate on Gigantomachia, it'd have been... Noticeable. And likely fatal. Which would, again, defeat the purpose of beating him in the first place.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Roland Jones posted:

Dabi refused to help with the battle against Gigantomachia and has instead been off killing people, losing a High-End Noumu, and attempting to recruit a guy who's actually a double agent working against him.

Do we have a clue what kind of criteria Dabi is using for his recruitment drive? Because it sounds like he's a complete idiot who came up with some completely esoteric bullshit all to say he's justified in killing potential allies. Like if it was Spinner they sent out to recruit others, they'd at least be able to get a few people who want to destroy and change up how the hero society works.

Fabricated posted:

New Vigilantes. The Crawler is the best.

I really like Vigilantes, but man, the new villain is probably the worst part for me. Just hiding in the shadows all the time and his only personality trait is "smug bully" is just so boring.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

amigolupus posted:

Do we have a clue what kind of criteria Dabi is using for his recruitment drive? Because it sounds like he's a complete idiot who came up with some completely esoteric bullshit all to say he's justified in killing potential allies. Like if it was Spinner they sent out to recruit others, they'd at least be able to get a few people who want to destroy and change up how the hero society works.

pretty sure there is no "recruitment," dabi's just using it as an excuse to torch people

his aloof nature, half-assed adherence to stain's philosophy and total lack of composure around endeavor all suggest that everything about him is just a throat-splitting scream of "gently caress YOU DAD"

he thinks his past abuse, whatever it is, justifies anything he feels like doing

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

amigolupus posted:

I really like Vigilantes, but man, the new villain is probably the worst part for me. Just hiding in the shadows all the time and his only personality trait is "smug bully" is just so boring.

It's fine, he'll get beaten and become a recurring character living a normal life that's mostly unimportant but quite enjoyable regardless.

That's what's happened with basically everyone so far, after all.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Oxxidation posted:

he thinks his past abuse, whatever it is, justifies anything he feels like doing
Pretty sure I know some people who are like that.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

amigolupus posted:

Oxxidation posted:

pretty sure there is no "recruitment," dabi's just using it as an excuse to torch people

his aloof nature, half-assed adherence to stain's philosophy and total lack of composure around endeavor all suggest that everything about him is just a throat-splitting scream of "gently caress YOU DAD"

I mean, just a few chapters ago Toga pretty much called him out on that, so, yeah. Seriously, he's contributed nothing to the VA except killing Snatch after briefly occupying his attention, and really that didn't change anything; it was Mr. Compress who trapped him with the fire that killed him, and just the trapping part would have been equivalent for their purposes since he'd have been out of the fight either way. They could have taken him hostage or chucked his marble into the sea or just left it there and not changed anything as far as the bridge encounter went.

I wonder how much of this is intentional on Horikoshi's part; clearly Dabi's antisocial behavior is meant to be a negative quality, but I can't tell if him being a complete albatross around the VA's neck and never doing anything useful that a quirkless person with a can of gasoline and some matches couldn't also do is deliberate or if he missed his mark when trying to make an edgy, dangerous misanthrope and forgot to actually show him ever accomplishing anything or being competent.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 13, 2019

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Well right now all he needs to do is set a bunch of randos on fire, so he's really in his element here.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I hope Todoroki and Dabi's inevitable confrontation involves Shoto calling him a huge loser.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

amigolupus posted:

Well so far the criteria seems to be, at minimum, "Be as powerful as Hawks"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Roland Jones posted:

I mean, just a few chapters ago Toga pretty much called him out on that, so, yeah. Seriously, he's contributed nothing to the VA except killing Snatch after briefly occupying his attention, and really that didn't change anything; it was Mr. Compress who trapped him with the fire that killed him, and just the trapping part would have been equivalent for their purposes since he'd have been out of the fight either way. They could have taken him hostage or chucked his marble into the sea or just left it there and not changed anything as far as the bridge encounter went.

I wonder how much of this is intentional on Horikoshi's part; clearly Dabi's antisocial behavior is meant to be a negative quality, but I can't tell if him being a complete albatross around the VA's neck and never doing anything useful that a quirkless person with a can of gasoline and some matches couldn't also do is deliberate or if he missed his mark when trying to make an edgy, dangerous misanthrope and forgot to actually show him ever accomplishing anything or being competent.

i think there's deliberate contrast there - shouto and dabi both suffered thanks to endeavor, but while shouto's using his experiences to temper and improve his own behavior (after a lot of masochistic urging from midoriya) and even endeavor's striving for some kind of repentance, dabi's wallowing in his worst excesses while shrugging all his crimes off on the society that made him what he is

he's got a point that the hero society is glorifying and protecting the man that probably turned him into a half-cadaverous edgelord, but he's still coming off as a shallow malicious brat even compared to the spacy phlebotophile who accompanied him into the League

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
It does make a good contrast to Shigaraki though, since while they're both creepy, antisocial weirdos with hosed up faces, highly destructive powers, and so on, since Dabi's introduction Shiggy has grown as a person and a leader, and thus also become a much more dangerous and effective villain than the brat who threw away dozens of recruits and the best not!High-End Noumu at USJ, while Dabi has made no progress and in fact has thrown away his former pretensions of following Stain's ideology in favor of some vague hand-waving that his actions don't immediately contradict so badly so that he can keep justifying his continuous lashing out, and other than his body count has accomplished nothing as a villain.

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if he killed some people who could have turned out to be useful; someone like Twice, who is probably the most valuable member of the VA with that power of his, definitely wouldn't have met his standards and would have wound up as a charred corpse in an alleyway had they met him first.

Which is also another reason they could really do with getting Giran back, on a tangent; he has an eye for quality even when it's not immediately apparent. Meanwhile, Dabi was pretty much just lashing out rather than actually looking for recruits until he met Hawks (who, as I've mentioned a few times before, is actually trying to infiltrate them and is not a genuine recruit), there's no chance of Twice trying to bring in new people after how much Overhaul killing Magne hosed him up, and the others don't really seem like the type to seek out recruits, or to succeed at getting them if they did try. Maybe Spinner could get his LARP group to join?

Oxxidation posted:

i think there's deliberate contrast there - shouto and dabi both suffered thanks to endeavor, but while shouto's using his experiences to temper and improve his own behavior (after a lot of masochistic urging from midoriya) and even endeavor's striving for some kind of repentance, dabi's wallowing in his worst excesses while shrugging all his crimes off on the society that made him what he is

he's got a point that the hero society is glorifying and protecting the man that probably turned him into a half-cadaverous edgelord, but he's still coming off as a shallow malicious brat even compared to the spacy phlebotophile who accompanied him into the League

This is another, and even more direct, contrast, yeah. They even almost certainly both got their scars from the same man and stuff. Edit: Wait no it was Shoto's mother who hosed up his face, whoops.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 13, 2019

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

With how little time Dabi actually spends around the rest of the League, I feel like this is eventually going to lead to him turning on them for his own selfish reasons.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Dabi is lame and boring but he's consistently portrayed as like one of the cooler or most competent members of the League. He's never really around when the League are getting beat up or suffering a failure, which was common for them until recently. He's just not around when they're getting destroyed by the Mafia and he's not even there for when they're on hard times and just slumming it up in a random shack in the middle of nowhere. On the other hand he was the squad leader in the League's first successful assault where they kidnap Bakugou and even though his stuff with the High End finishes with Endeavor only mostly dead, he still just kinda shows up at the end to taunt him and gets away scott free.

Like all of this stuff also contributes to him being pretty lame, but I think we're supposed to perceive him as being effective and competent.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Dabi is lame and boring but he's consistently portrayed as like one of the cooler or most competent members of the League. He's never really around when the League are getting beat up or suffering a failure, which was common for them until recently. He's just not around when they're getting destroyed by the Mafia and he's not even there for when they're on hard times and just slumming it up in a random shack in the middle of nowhere. On the other hand he was the squad leader in the League's first successful assault where they kidnap Bakugou and even though his stuff with the High End finishes with Endeavor only mostly dead, he still just kinda shows up at the end to taunt him and gets away scott free.

Like all of this stuff also contributes to him being pretty lame, but I think we're supposed to perceive him as being effective and competent.

Yeah, this is why I was wondering about the same thing a couple posts ago. Heck, even the moments you mention, he didn't actually accomplish anything when they kidnapped Bakugou beyond having both his clones get stomped and called lovely by both him and Twice, as well as mocking Shoto when they made their escape, and it was his extremely distinctive appearance that clued the police in to where the VA took Bakugou and led to all that effort being a waste anyway. Though he also got knocked out immediately by Gran Torino booting him in the head in that subsequent encounter, which is pretty funny.

Also another way Dabi kind of sucks, on that topic; while Shigaraki looks like a scrawny manchild he is actually ridiculously fit and capable, regularly performing impressive physical feats, shrugging off being stabbed, shot, and other stuff, and now just fought Gigantomachia for a month and is still ready to go take on the Liberation Army, while Dabi can be taken out with one good hit. Though that might be meant more to contrast him with Toga, since they were intro'd together and are pretty much opposites, since she is also ridiculously physically capable and has a power that has no combat applications but is great for blending in and being stealthy, while he has an extremely destructive quirk with no subtlety at all, has zero athletic ability or endurance, and stands out so badly that, well, again, he led the police and heroes right to their headquarters.

Basically Dabi works as a foil to a lot of other characters and compares favorably to none of them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Machia may have regen that is better than Shigaraki's disintegrate.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

It really says a lot about Dabi that while the other League of Villain members have weaker Quirks than he has (sans Shigaraki), they've all had a lot to contribute to the group.

Blaze Dragon posted:

It's fine, he'll get beaten and become a recurring character living a normal life that's mostly unimportant but quite enjoyable regardless.

That's what's happened with basically everyone so far, after all.

You know what, I'm totally fine with that. Vigilantes is super enjoyable when it's showing off the lives of people while building up the world of MHA. Bring on the chapters of Knuckleduster and his daughter slowly becoming a family again!

Roland Jones posted:

Which is also another reason they could really do with getting Giran back, on a tangent; he has an eye for quality even when it's not immediately apparent. Meanwhile, Dabi was pretty much just lashing out rather than actually looking for recruits until he met Hawks (who, as I've mentioned a few times before, is actually trying to infiltrate them and is not a genuine recruit), there's no chance of Twice trying to bring in new people after how much Overhaul killing Magne hosed him up, and the others don't really seem like the type to seek out recruits, or to succeed at getting them if they did try. Maybe Spinner could get his LARP group to join?

Make it a group of Stain LARPers so Hori can do a homage of the movie version of V for Vendetta.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Dabi kinda comes off like he's getting higher and higher on his own supply, or that he has an alternative goal now. His reaction after retreating from the Endeavor fight was weird- he thinks about Snatch yelling at him to think about the families of the people he kills and he just says, "Yeah, I thought about it so much I went crazy."

E: Also I didn't mind the exam arc at all really outside of Momo pointlessly jobbing again. It comes off like it'd be like, maybe 3-4 episodes for the actual fights if it ever gets adapted.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 13, 2019

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Fabricated posted:

His reaction after retreating from the Endeavor fight was weird- he thinks about Snatch yelling at him to think about the families of the people he kills and he just says, "Yeah, I thought about it so much I went crazy."

He wasn't "talking" to Snatch. He was hung up on wondering who the hell Snatch was after Endeavor said he killed him. Although I guess making that memory a quote about family was a little too on the nose for the guy who is almost definitely a Todoroki.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

PMush Perfect posted:

"I do what I can, and someone else picks up the slack." Maybe not a heroic point of view, but probably a healthy one. Koichi is a good character.

Soooooo, the One Piece mentality?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Imagine what would have happened if Dabi had grabbed Tokoyami instead of Bakugou in the forest.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
a dark phoenix arc

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

GuyUpNorth posted:

Some miniscule damage yeah, depends how fast the beaten-up needles can drain him. Similar situation to Shiggy, when he's roughly the size of Gigantomachia's finger - how much damage could his palm do?

Well no, if she got some of his blood she could turn into a copy of him. Though I think Toga is probably reluctant to transform into anyone she doesn't "love".

RatHat fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Apr 14, 2019

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I can't wait for Shigaraki to teach Dabi about the power of evil friendship and Dabi becomes his most trusted and loyal right hand man.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

What are the chances Dabi unlocks a freezing power

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Terper posted:

I can't wait for Shigaraki to teach Dabi about the power of evil friendship and Dabi becomes his most trusted and loyal right hand man.

I can' t wait for Dabi's attempt to betray Shigaraki and then becoming a new right hand in his collection.

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!
This side story is cool, but I prefer the main cast. I miss Deku and Lord Explosion Murder.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Kild posted:

What are the chances Dabi unlocks a freezing power

that would be pretty cool

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I don't think he'll unlock an ice power, but if the doctor has a way to transfer quirks without AFO, I could see him giving an ice quirk to Dabi.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Rhonne posted:

I don't think he'll unlock an ice power, but if the doctor has a way to transfer quirks without AFO, I could see him giving an ice quirk to Dabi. icing Dabi and turning him into a Noumu.

Fixed that for you. The doctor's one capricious bastard, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also, Dabi owes the doctor a High-End Noumu.