Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Chris Evans has nothing against Rich Evans, a celebrity I actually know about as I spend all my time on The Internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Wildtortilla posted:

I don't know who the guy in the Gameboy pic is and I didn't realize that's a problem. Some people (including myself) just don't watch many movies and don't know poo poo about celebrities.

I'm a pretty normal dude, I think.

it's just weird to some people that you haven't been exposed to any popular culture whatsoever in the past 10 years.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

AlphaKeny1 posted:

it's just weird to some people that you haven't been exposed to any popular culture whatsoever in the past 10 years.

There's a difference between being exposed and actually taking in that information. Like I might read or hear someone's in some movie or other but it's going to get forgotten in like ten minutes unless that information is actually something I care about because I watch about five movies a year.

Not recalling every bit of data that you're exposed to regardless its relevance or your interests isn't being some weirdo who lives under a rock, it's called being human.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
The only popular culture you should expose yourself to is NUCLEAR THRONE

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Trasson posted:

There's a difference between being exposed and actually taking in that information. Like I might read or hear someone's in some movie or other but it's going to get forgotten in like ten minutes unless that information is actually something I care about because I watch about five movies a year.

Not recalling every bit of data that you're exposed to regardless its relevance or your interests isn't being some weirdo who lives under a rock, it's called being human.

That’s not remotely true, there are a ton of poo poo I don’t care about I still absorb because it’s out there.

Stop trying to pretend this isn’t weird

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
You god drat motherfuckers better loving learn who the god drat gently caress Chris Bitchfucker Evans is or I swear to god we're going back to the weapon durability derail.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Trasson posted:

I can understand that, but it's still a little hard to believe that something as ubiquitous as the MCU didn't leave a small impression on you in the past eight years to the point where you can maybe slightly recognize Chris Evans as some dude in that one popular thing other people watch that you don't care about.

Like you don't have to lecture me about not giving a poo poo. I am the king of not giving a poo poo about things.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The only thing I distinctly know Chris Evans from is Scott Pilgrim but I can’t really pick him out of a crowd or anything. I’ve never seen a MCU movie so I haven’t made that connection. I don’t recognize him as anything other than a random dude. He seems nice though. I recognize Johansson easily because I’ve been a vaguely straight male growing up during the last 20+ years. Switch. Nintendo. Video games.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The Avengers would be better if Captain America's shields could break. Instead of having one iconic shield, he'd have to carry a multitude of shields, and every time he'd deflect an attack or shield surf, it would get damage and could break. Then Captain America would have to pull out a new shield and use a different shield to fight the Joker or whatever.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Is Xenoblade 2 worth $20? Debating between that and final fantasy 9

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Similarly, you should become a Hulk whenever you're possessed by a sentient hat. Imagine a Hulk Koopa, or a Hulk Fire Hydrant, or a Hulk Shield that Captain America uses until it breaks.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

LionArcher posted:

I'd say so. Many wouldn't

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I can understand that, but it's still a little hard to believe that something as ubiquitous as the MCU didn't leave a small impression on you in the past eight years to the point where you can maybe slightly recognize Chris Evans as some dude in that one popular thing other people watch that you don't care about.

This is so bizarrely specific

There's a lot of media and celebrities and tastes out there my dude

E: apparently the MCU stands for the marvel cinema universe, that's cool I guess

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Apr 14, 2019

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

CharlestheHammer posted:

That’s not remotely true, there are a ton of poo poo I don’t care about I still absorb because it’s out there.

Stop trying to pretend this isn’t weird

But that's just how you personally take in information. Myself for example, my memory recall is hosed up from a head injury. It might take me a whole month to memorize the name of someone new I work with, so I don't even bother trying to retain the names of people who aren't directly in contact with me, and also, those movies sound pretty boring. On the other hand, I can and will perfectly remember every song I hear even once until the day I die. Only instrumentals though. Songs with lyrics kind of just bounce off of my brain and don't sound good musically to me anyways. But name a Mega Man robot master and buddy I'm your jukebox.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

LionArcher posted:

It's a very solid JRPG but also anime as hell.

I'm assuming since you're considering FF9, the anime isn't an issue.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

LionArcher posted:

Yeah, and if possible get the season pass as you get the extra drivers and the expansion

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

The Silver Snail posted:

But that's just how you personally take in information.

Yeah they're tripping out that people don't immediately recognize Hollywood super hero comics men. Like they can't even fathom how that could happen in modern day America.

Weird day for the switch thread

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

You're welcome.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

KingSlime posted:

E: apparently the MCU stands for the marvel cinema universe, that's cool I guess

*points finger and shrieks* WEIRDO!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kilometers Davis posted:

The only thing I distinctly know Chris Evans from is Scott Pilgrim but I can’t really pick him out of a crowd or anything. I’ve never seen a MCU movie so I haven’t made that connection. I don’t recognize him as anything other than a random dude. He seems nice though. I recognize Johansson easily because I’ve been a vaguely straight male growing up during the last 20+ years. Switch. Nintendo. Video games.

Scott Pilgrim is a wierdo who gets dumped by Captain Marvel but eventually finds a girlfriend who isn't a child and to win her heart he beats up Captain America and Superman.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I guess this assumes pop culture = super hero movies?

AlphaKeny1 posted:

Like you don't have to lecture me about not giving a poo poo. I am the king of not giving a poo poo about things.

It's not hard to believe people haven't seen these movies and don't know celebrities.

I work with two dudes who are really into Marvel movies. They get excited about them and tell me what they thought of the latest movie, except they don't think I'm weird or out of the loop for not knowing who the characters and actors are.

Growing up I thought my parents were out of it cause they didn't follow the latest movies and music. Now that I'm in my 30's I'm realizing that's what happens to many people as they get older. My wife and I, and many of our friends, don't keep up with new movies. There's simply too much stuff to consume and not enough hours in the day. We choose other things to entertain us. It's not crazy, there's just lots and lots of people with their own unique interests.

I hope this shines some light on us weirdos.

One thing for sure though is we're all in the Nintendo Switch thread so let's talk about Nintendo games instead! :)

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

The White Dragon posted:

smash bros with weed

every time you win you have to take a huge hit and hold it in for a minute while everyone else plays another match

Yassss send me your switch ID

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Super heroes movies are pop culture yes? What do you think pop culture is

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Wildtortilla posted:

I guess this assumes pop culture = super hero movies?

Yeah that stood out like a sore thumb, I think that poster has a much more sheltered viewpoint than the person he/she is accusing of being under a rock!

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

if you don't recognize chris evans it means you didn't spend the 2000s watching Not Another Teen Movie and that definitely means you're a fuckin weirdo

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

KingSlime posted:

Yeah that stood out like a sore thumb, I think that poster has a much more sheltered viewpoint than the person he/she is accusing of being under a rock!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Super heroes movies are pop culture yes? What do you think pop culture is

Lmfao this thread.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

LionArcher posted:

in general i'd say yes but if you're specifically picking between those two then get ff9 i m o

e: actually wait i guess go xb2 since it's on sale and ff9 is 15 bucks no matter when you get it

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

It's a very solid JRPG but also anime as hell.

I'm assuming since you're considering FF9, the anime isn't an issue.

Thanks.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

"who is 'beyonce'" - this thread

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

American McGay posted:

Lmfao this thread.

you realize pop culture consists of much, much more than just dorky superhero stuff right? To assume someone is "out of touch" because they don't know some marvel poo poo shows a lack of perspective/exposure

reminds me of the coworker who got bent out of shape if you got your DC/marvel characters mixed up

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

American McGay posted:

Lmfao this thread.

This is the weirdest case of keep digging I’ve ever seen. I don’t even know what they are even trying to accomplish

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

KingSlime posted:

you realize pop culture consists of much, much more than just dorky superhero stuff right? To assume someone is "out of touch" because they don't know some marvel poo poo shows a lack of perspective

reminds me of the coworker who got bent out of shape if you got youer DC/marvel characters mixed up

honest question do you know who beyonce is

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

romanowski posted:

honest question do you know who beyonce is

yeah isn't she the destined child or something

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

KingSlime posted:

you realize pop culture consists of much, much more than just dorky superhero stuff right? To assume someone is "out of touch" because they don't know some marvel poo poo shows a lack of perspective/exposure

reminds me of the coworker who got bent out of shape if you got your DC/marvel characters mixed up
Dorky superhero movies are the absolute textbook definition of popular culture. No one is getting bent out of shape about anything. Yes it means you're out of touch. There's also nothing wrong with this.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

LionArcher posted:

Where is Xenoblade $20?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

KingSlime posted:

4 of the top 10 highest grossing movies are Marvel films. :psyduck: They're not dorky poo poo anymore, they're mainstream.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Kazy posted:

4 of the top 10 highest grossing movies are Marvel films. :psyduck: They're not dorky poo poo anymore, they're mainstream.

dorks are mainstream, fuckin' nerds. go to your next door neighbor and give them a weegie for being a fuckin' nerd

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Kazy posted:

A whole lot of things are mainstream, some of them are "dorky" and that's fine. Some are not, and not everyone cares about super heroes or individual actors/movies even in gaming forums.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

American McGay posted:

Dorky superhero movies are the absolute textbook definition of popular culture. No one is getting bent out of shape about anything. Yes it means you're out of touch. There's also nothing wrong with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I mean if you didn't see 'Lost in Translation' or 'Ghost World' you're missing out on a lot more than Marvel movies but different strokes I guess.