Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's still weird to buy a ring so you can propose to a 15 year old as an in-character joke when it's like midnight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
great artists are never understood in their own generations

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Ben Woodman will be played by Jared Leto in the Hollywood adaptation.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Yo why is the judge's face so hosed up in every hd remaster

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
that's not the judge that's just a traceover of snoop deleon

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I think that looks OK. It was really terrible in the mobile/3ds trilogy though, you're right.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
The judge looks high af in anything that's not the original GBA/DS.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I just don't get why they don't just redraw the sprites, instead of tracing over the old ones awkwardly.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Effort.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

What do you have to present to Butz to show him Cindy loved him back? I missed that. Otherwise enjoying this series for the first time on Steam, doing the 2nd trial right now.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The clock.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

The clock.

Oh gently caress I am dumb ya I forgot he literally says it was a gift for her but didn't he then give to Mia so I didn't think of that.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Hace posted:

I just don't get why they don't just redraw the sprites, instead of tracing over the old ones awkwardly.
But they actually did do that this time! I mean, they still look like the sprites, but now they don't look like bad versions of the sprites.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The really thing they need to fix is the wide shots of the courtroom, some of them look really ugly in higher resolutions.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

The problem solving of this game is great so far but I really love the personality/humor it has. The bellboy trying to commercialize his hotel after a murder in trial 2 was hilarious.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i kind of envy you, your first time through phoenix wright trilogy is one hell of an experience

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Bellboy is best boy.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
i went back a few pages in this thread. remember when we were expecting a new game on switch along with new ports of 1-3 AND 4-6 all in 2018? :smith:

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
hopefully capcom isnt doing the thing of "we'll use this 5th port job as a testbed for series interest" again

rip darkstalkers

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

To me, it points to AA7 being multi platform and this being an introduction for those audiences.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
That'd be cool, yeah. Hopefully they polish the hd UI for a new game tho.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

somepartsareme posted:

i went back a few pages in this thread. remember when we were expecting a new game on switch along with new ports of 1-3 AND 4-6 all in 2018? :smith:

Whenever Capcom release hd remasters or collection they often have something else coming for it as well(Megaman/DMC).

I am still in game 1 of the trilogy but the 2nd trial when you go on trial after Maya made no sense. So the entire first testimony was bs now? That seemed kinda odd.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
I downloaded the trilogy for the Switch. It's been so long since I've played the originals; I'm pretty hyped. These are the perfect games to play at the laundromat.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Ulio posted:

Whenever Capcom release hd remasters or collection they often have something else coming for it as well(Megaman/DMC).

I am still in game 1 of the trilogy but the 2nd trial when you go on trial after Maya made no sense. So the entire first testimony was bs now? That seemed kinda odd.

Get used to it. Witnesses bullshit, misremember, etc. a LOT in this series.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The one time anyone in this series explicitly gets slapped with perjury, it's a huge shock because you're used to the game just letting it slide.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Regalingualius posted:

Hah ok. That's my only complain but it kinda makes things even funnier.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ulio posted:

Hah ok. That's my only complain but it kinda makes things even funnier.

The Japanese court system is like the US, prosecutors have unbelievable amounts of leeway to shove lovely evidence to trial and an absurd amount of chances to contort their evidence to fit. A defending attorneys single greatest achievement is convincing their client not to sign a confession and actually defending their client at trial is a distant second.

Basically your objective is to assume a prosecutor did enough due diligence to build a case but not enough to make it airtight; they just went with whatever was easiest.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
Just finished the trilogy ~12 years after playing them for the last time. Some observations, might be rambly:

Those three day turnabouts in the first game are a drag, especially Rise from the Ashes.

The First Turnabout was an amazing introduction, I'll never get enough of Winston Payne.

Turnabout Sisters wasn't nearly as 'epic' as I remembered it being. The last trial segment was way shorter than I thought.

I always thought Turnabout Samurai was kinda lackluster, playing it again I enjoyed it quite a bit more than I expected. It's a shame we never see Penny Nichols again. Also is it just me or does Sal Manella kinda disappear after his court appearance? Isn't he technically an accessory to murder?

Rise from the Ashes is one of my favourite cases (I much prefer Ema to Maya sidekick-wise) but I felt it kind of overstayed its welcome near the end. I loved the lunch lady as a character (her glare animation never gets old) but hated her in court. So frustrating with no payoff.

I completely forgot about Reunion, and Turnabout and loved the poo poo out of it. It all came back to me while playing and I remembered feeling frustrated because the big reveal etc. felt way too obvious the first time playing. Enjoyed it way more this time around. Interacting with the murder victim before he dies was a nice touch.

Despite Farewell, my Turnabout also dragged on a bit too long for my taste. It's still one of my favourite cases and a great way to end the second game.

The third game will always be my favourite of the trilogy, there's not a single case I hate and none of them overstay their welcome, though the last trial comes dangerously close.

I liked Maya way more as a character this time around while Franzeska and Godot kind of rubbed me the wrong way.

What a great bunch of games.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Arist posted:

The one time anyone in this series explicitly gets slapped with perjury, it's a huge shock because you're used to the game just letting it slide.

Rise from the Ashes is my favorite case despite "oh wait NOW we give a poo poo about evidence procedure???"

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I always thought it was very sporting of everyone to accept whatever random poo poo you happen to have in your pockets into evidence.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Why does DGS have such an obviously higher budget than the main series

There's so much more animation, more characters, etc

I really hope now that DGS is over AA7 can have this level of care put into it

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Amppelix posted:

It had that budget because of Shu Takumi and the main games do not have Shu Takumi anymore

busysignal
Nov 28, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

It had that budget because of Shu Takumi and the main games do not have Shu Takumi anymore

It certainly feels like they had a better idea of what game they were making and were able to argue for a bigger budget to accomplish the vision.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Regalingualius posted:

Probably the most accurate part of the series, really.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Barudak posted:

The Japanese court system is like the US, prosecutors have unbelievable amounts of leeway to shove lovely evidence to trial and an absurd amount of chances to contort their evidence to fit. A defending attorneys single greatest achievement is convincing their client not to sign a confession and actually defending their client at trial is a distant second.

Basically your objective is to assume a prosecutor did enough due diligence to build a case but not enough to make it airtight; they just went with whatever was easiest.

Ya I remember reading some article that the conviction rate in Japan absurdly high, so if you get trialed you almost always lose.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

FutureFriend posted:

the only one who deserves clemency in that trial is the clown

Oh, you're in this game?

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Dongicus posted:

Oh, you're in this game?

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Amppelix posted:

You're making me so excited to play this game.

I didnt want to have to do this but, to hell with it, going to get some playstore credit.

Also sorry if this got answered already, but do you need to continue to be logged on the jp playstore account after buying the game?

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
No, after you buy the game you can play it and go to the Japanese store without a vpn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, once you visit the Japanese play store once on the account, it'll set that as your store location.