Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I wish royal enfield would get their poo poo together, because they make some amazingly handsome bikes. The new Interceptor 650 looks really nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Ola posted:

A fuel pump? I thought most bikes would let fuel feed by gravity, but it could be that an Enfield actively repels fuel.

when you turn the ignition to on, a small pump spins up electrically and pushes some fuel into the system. Is that not normal? Googling "Kawasaki ninja fuel pump", "Harley fuel pump", etc, finds me a bunch of similar looking parts.

ADINSX posted:

I wish royal enfield would get their poo poo together, because they make some amazingly handsome bikes. The new Interceptor 650 looks really nice
Obviously I'm insanely biased, but I think their reputation is worse than deserved. I think these are fun little bikes, and the reliability overall is not that bad, given that these start at around $5700 MSRP. The first shop I ever took it to, the guys were a little snide, and then when I showed up to pick it up (and they had given it a test ride) the mechanic admitted "huh, that's actually a super fun little bike to ride around".

On the other hand, if by "get their poo poo together", you just mean "provide a sane and modern avenue to get parts in the US in a timely fashion", well, there's something to that -- but it sounds like that's actually improved a lot on the newer bikes. I have a 2009; the dealership told me that for 2010 and newer, it's really easy to get stuff and mostly he has it and doesn't need to go overseas to get it.

poo poo, $5700? I should just sell $5000 in magic cards and buy a new one, lol.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

They're cool looking bikes, but holy poo poo that level of reliability is just unacceptable on a modern motorcycle, I had a horrible Suzuki Marauder that was left to rot under snow in Pennsylvania for a decade, and that only stranded me once.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Tim Raines IRL posted:

when you turn the ignition to on, a small pump spins up electrically and pushes some fuel into the system. Is that not normal? Googling "Kawasaki ninja fuel pump", "Harley fuel pump", etc, finds me a bunch of similar looking parts.

Yeah you're absolutely right. Bikes that have fuel injection need fuel pumps to build up the pressure, I figured an Enfield would have gravity-fed carbs.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Obviously I'm insanely biased, but I think their reputation is worse than deserved. I think these are fun little bikes, and the reliability overall is not that bad, given that these start at around $5700 MSRP. The first shop I ever took it to, the guys were a little snide, and then when I showed up to pick it up (and they had given it a test ride) the mechanic admitted "huh, that's actually a super fun little bike to ride around".

On the other hand, if by "get their poo poo together", you just mean "provide a sane and modern avenue to get parts in the US in a timely fashion", well, there's something to that -- but it sounds like that's actually improved a lot on the newer bikes. I have a 2009; the dealership told me that for 2010 and newer, it's really easy to get stuff and mostly he has it and doesn't need to go overseas to get it.

I mean both. I read an article claiming that they intend on doing just that (getting their poo poo together) and that in the bad old days before they had a dealer network in America, individuals would just buy crates of the bikes and not set them up properly, probably contributing a lot to their poor reputation.

On the other hand the same article admitted the company coasted for decades due to India's restrictions on imports, which seem to have been lifted, and now they're faced with serious competition at home; so they might as well get their act together and try and be competitive abroad as well.

So yeah if they could get their quality control figured out, I think their products are competitive and at a good price point. The Interceptor is like 6000 dollars new, the same price as the Yamaha sr400 but you're getting a lot more bike, but still something that could be attractive to a first time rider.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Tim Raines IRL posted:

stockholm syndrome

People give me poo poo for appreciating the Grom and the SMC but holy cow man step away. Wanting to put "$1000 in to get a couple more years of riding" is ridiculous when I paid $1000 for a dual sport that is bombproof reliable.

Dual Sport. You want a dual sport. It will have all the ugly beauty and dirt road fun of your Enfield without being all of what you describe.

Or, keep your bike and love it and post more regularly with pictures of it in places it was not designed for (lol anywhere but a shop), so I can live vicariously through you. Maybe start looking at what parts from japanese manufacturers can be installed on your bike as a reliability upgrade?

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

I Rode an H2 today. Biek fast.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.
I've got a buddy who bought an Enfield Classic 500 and the biggest problem, by far, is his style of ownership. I think if it were my bike I'd be riding it all the time having a blast, with absolutely zero trouble.

He's always crashing and dropping the thing, leaving it dirty, riding it way past its intended speed range, forgetting to check or loctite poo poo so it stops falling off, neglecting maintenance, resting his foot on the brake pedal for tens of miles on the highway, and probably every other terrible thing. I rode it once and now I really want my own, either that cool Bullet Trials that'll inevitably make it here, or more likely a Himalayan. (Also those new fake JAWAs by Mahindra seem neat.)

I'm inclined to believe what Raines heard – that 2010+ is a better situation – because his 2015 is taking an insane idiot-style pounding and seems basically as jolly as ever.

I will say this against Enfield and their dealership network: When we took delivery of the bike I followed him as he rode it home. The dealership was clear at the other end of the state (in Enfield :buddy:) and we made it to the sketchiest bit of highway going through Hartford when it suddenly died on him. Spent hours limping it in hundred-yard jumps before they finally sent a truck to investigate and solve the problem: the spark plug (or one of them? I forget if the 500 has twin plugs) wasn't really connected. I felt like an rear end for not pushing on the connector when I checked to see if it was on there, instead trusting my visual impression that the wire was on the plug.

So the seemingly high-end Triumph dealership may have done some bad inspection before they handed over a brand new bike, or maybe it literally vibrated off on the first ride.

Oh yeah: why did it take hours to get support for a bike sold earlier that same day? Buddy isn't great at anything else, either, and when they asked him how the ride had been so far and how fast we'd gone – to get a sense of what might be occurring, I'm sure, and not just to find excuses – he told them we'd been up to, "I dunno, maybe 85?" My CBR's speedometer maybe peaked at 60 while I followed him.

The moral of the story is if you're not a complete dimwit and you know how to care for a motorcycle that maybe vibrates a little too vigorously and maybe doesn't have the highest-quality chrome and so forth you should be fine.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Frosty- posted:

I've got a buddy who bought an Enfield Classic 500 and the biggest problem, by far, is his style of ownership. I think if it were my bike I'd be riding it all the time having a blast, with absolutely zero trouble.

QFT, Enfield people are the absolute worst and even though the bikes are pieces of poo poo their reputation is blown out of proportion. I suspect because they exploit a weakness in part of the clueless hipster moron's psyche, they attract a particularly large proportion of people who think their only ownership obligation is to put petrol in.

Harleys are exactly the same but with less terrible bikes.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Re: Enfields, no their reputation is deserved. Our shop was a dealer for a bunch of years before they got a big head and wanted us to sell FORTY bikes a year to remain a dealer. We were struggling to sell two a year, among the reasons for that being that they suck and are unrideable outside cities. And at that time the company had done basically nothing to show that they intended to make bikes worth selling or to price them appropriately for their quality and functionality. They hadn't even hinted at making such changes. I'm quite curious if the new twins are much different. Things would break on the singles that would not break on any other bike, though. Like battery cables would just snap internally and you couldn't see where. Because the connector was too thin for the vibration of the bike presumably. I saw fork legs with visible threads from old bolts in the casting like Han in carbonite because they were made from recycled metal and nobody cared to recycle it thoroughly enough. They had a lot in common with Chinese scooters.

They're not terribly heavy and they handle nicely but only if you keep it below 45, because the engine is very poorly designed, with very high vibration, and insanely low power for its displacement.

Having said that, though, I never saw a catastrophic failure on any of them. The things that broke were fairly minor, aside from ignition switches and battery terminals.

Tim Raines IRL posted:

This leaves me with not riding or trying to fix my 2009 Enfield. It's got an electrical issue which may indicate that the fuel pump is shot. The mech work on this bike has been a mix of me doing it and various shops cursing the names of God and Enfield and asking me to source parts myself.
So it's an EFI model? 2009 is the first year for that wasn't it? The pre-EFI ones didn't have pumps that I ever saw, they had a basic petcock and carb.

quote:

"anything pre-2010, I gotta get parts from England. I don't deal with India, but I gotta go through Hitchcock in England".
No idea what he's talking about here. If it's an EFI model, it's made in India and nowhere else. The parts are not that hard to get. And there's no parts crossover between the EFI and the old models aside from nuts and bolts maybe. The design, despite looking very similar, is totally different.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

No idea what he's talking about here. If it's an EFI model, it's made in India and nowhere else. The parts are not that hard to get. And there's no parts crossover between the EFI and the old models aside from nuts and bolts maybe. The design, despite looking very similar, is totally different.

Not sure if this is entirely true, I've ridden a couple of the bullet cafe racers with the big, old-style separate gearbox twin and the injected bikes seemed identical to the carby ones, besides the efi and minor stuff like speedo etc.

They are garbage quality bikes with very poor open road capability and extremely old-fashioned everything but I'd still take one over a chinese bike or, god forbid, a car.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Frosty- posted:

I will say this against Enfield and their dealership network: When we took delivery of the bike I followed him as he rode it home. The dealership was clear at the other end of the state (in Enfield :buddy:) and we made it to the sketchiest bit of highway going through Hartford when it suddenly died on him. Spent hours limping it in hundred-yard jumps before they finally sent a truck to investigate and solve the problem: the spark plug (or one of them? I forget if the 500 has twin plugs) wasn't really connected. I felt like an rear end for not pushing on the connector when I checked to see if it was on there, instead trusting my visual impression that the wire was on the plug.

The highway 2/91/84 clusterfuck? I used to ride my R1 or FZ6 up through there almost every weekend of the summer in a mad dash to get north of Springfield and onto mountain roads where there was some decent loving riding.

What a miserable bit of highway, only good for escaping that miserable state.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.

Elviscat posted:

The highway 2/91/84 clusterfuck?
The very same. I dislike taking any of my vehicles down that shitshow of a road, but sometimes life forces it on me. I like to hit the Northwest corner of the state out past Torrington and head a little into New York for pretty riding.

quote:

I used to ride my R1 or FZ6 up through there almost every weekend of the summer in a mad dash to get north of Springfield and onto mountain roads where there was some decent loving riding.
I should try this sometime. I'm remarkably cowardly when it comes to exploring and finding new places to ride.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

But the tolls are going to make 84 less miserable, right? :shepicide:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

Not sure if this is entirely true, I've ridden a couple of the bullet cafe racers with the big, old-style separate gearbox twin and the injected bikes seemed identical to the carby ones, besides the efi and minor stuff like speedo etc.

They are garbage quality bikes with very poor open road capability and extremely old-fashioned everything but I'd still take one over a chinese bike or, god forbid, a car.
Agreed on the Chinese bikes but no the EFI model is a unit engine. Totally unrelated design to the carbed ones with separate gearboxes. The level of mechanical technology in them is similar but the design is all different.

Discount Dracula
Aug 15, 2003

Nap Ghost
First time posting in Cycle Asylum, long time listener.

I did some seriously stupid riding in my 20s and haven't had a bike in about 15 years.

I took my beginner motorcycle safety course today and got 100 on the ride and written exams. Yay me! :w00t: The guy sitting next to me failed because he stalled, went out of the lines, couldn't stop in the box and put his foot down like he was a Riverdancer.

I tested on a Grom and it was a blast. Looking forward to picking up my 2019 Honda Monkey next week. Give me your worst. Mockery is anticipated.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

the monkey is infinitely cooler than the grom

the super cub is even more cool than both of them

Discount Dracula
Aug 15, 2003

Nap Ghost

right arm posted:

I agree the Cub is cool, but I love the squat proportion of the monkey. The grom is not my style at all.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

No one's gonna make fun of the monkey here, I'm not particularly into the style, but I've got a sym symba so I understand the appeal of micro small bikes

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Long time small bike haver checking in to say that small bikes do still rule.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

I just fitted some dirt tires to the symba and (poorly) mounted a fender from some old trail model, gonna try my hand at trail riding when the weather gets a bit nicer :unsmigghh:

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

right arm posted:

I was at the local Honda shop a couple of weeks ago and they had a Super Cub on the floor that was already sold. They look great in person.

The shop had received an allotment of 5 and they all sold immediately to dudes in their 60s. The one on the floor didn't even have fluids in it - apparently the buyer said was just going to hang it in his garage.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Jazzzzz posted:

I was at the local Honda shop a couple of weeks ago and they had a Super Cub on the floor that was already sold. They look great in person.

The shop had received an allotment of 5 and they all sold immediately to dudes in their 60s. The one on the floor didn't even have fluids in it - apparently the buyer said was just going to hang it in his garage.

My dad (a dude in his 60s) bought 1 of 2 the dealer got, preordered. The guy that bought the second one was insisting they not take it out of the crate.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Jazzzzz posted:

The one on the floor didn't even have fluids in it - apparently the buyer said was just going to hang it in his garage.

This is extremely uncool.

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

. The guy that bought the second one was insisting they not take it out of the crate.

This is also extremely uncool.

I really want a Honda cub 186cc. I bet it rides like a bicycle.

ADINSX posted:

I just fitted some dirt tires to the symba and (poorly) mounted a fender from some old trail model, gonna try my hand at trail riding when the weather gets a bit nicer :unsmigghh:

:getin: post pics now and when you are on trails

Discount Dracula posted:

First time posting in Cycle Asylum, long time listener.

I did some seriously stupid riding in my 20s and haven't had a bike in about 15 years.

I took my beginner motorcycle safety course today and got 100 on the ride and written exams. Yay me! :w00t: The guy sitting next to me failed because he stalled, went out of the lines, couldn't stop in the box and put his foot down like he was a Riverdancer.

I tested on a Grom and it was a blast. Looking forward to picking up my 2019 Honda Monkey next week. Give me your worst. Mockery is anticipated.

Congratulations on passing the test!! The monkey has definitely grown on me aesthetic wise, and is vastly superior to the current Grom in looks. Enjoy it!

Consider throwing a tbolt cam and a tune on it. It's the sweet spot for bang to the buck.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Apr 15, 2019

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

Jazzzzz posted:

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

My dad (a dude in his 60s) bought 1 of 2 the dealer got, preordered. The guy that bought the second one was insisting they not take it out of the crate.
Ladies and gentlemen, I give you: the reason why everything in the world is so unbelievably expensive.

Discount Dracula
Aug 15, 2003

Nap Ghost

Coydog posted:

Consider throwing a tbolt cam and a tune on it. It's the sweet spot for bang to the buck.

Full disclosure: I know almost nothing about motorcycle maintenance, repair, modding etc... I plan on riding my monkey stock until I get some learning under my belt.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Discount Dracula posted:

I know almost nothing about motorcycle maintenance, repair, modding etc...

What's that got to do with anything :confused:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Work on maintenance first, then. Gofast stuff later. Working on the grom is like working on a scale model of a motorcycle.

Feel free to pm me with gofast questions or whatever. I said I would never mod my Grom but 1.5 years later and I've gonna big bore etc. :(

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Coydog posted:

:getin: post pics now and when you are on trails

Still got the plastics off because I have a few more things to do... most importantly acquire (or fabricate) the front mud flap, it doesn't cover much without it... The part is surprisingly expensive so it'll likely be addressed by a visit to home depot.

There wasn't a good way to mount the fender... I had to kinda re-purpose the bolt holes under the fork, which means if I really bottom out hard the tire will rub on the fasteners. They're hex fasteners so no sharp edges, but not ideal. The fender came off some 60s cub and was in really rough shape, hence the visible dents. The rattle can paint job, and the fact that I can still mount the front basket, completes the look.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Reminder to all: Check your tire pressure.

1st ride of the season this morning, and I was do9ng ny precheck, and when I got to my tires?

7pis.

Lol.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
That's not a lot of pis

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

7 :piss:

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

PSA: please post your current pis

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

0pis, but should be at 3 pis soon.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'd check to see if you don't have a leak in that tire somewhere. You should be able to check this by putting your ear to the tread and listening for the faint melody of The Cranberries.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Coydog posted:

I'd check to see if you don't have a leak in that tire somewhere. You should be able to check this by putting your ear to the tread and listening for the faint melody of The Cranberries.

All I hear is dreams?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

The Bananana posted:

Reminder to all: Check your tire pressure.

1st ride of the season this morning, and I was do9ng ny precheck, and when I got to my tires?

7pis.

Lol.

Ha.That's usually what's in my dirt bike.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

movax posted:

Why the gently caress do people steal motorcycle helmets?!

It was like a 1.5 year old Shoei Qwest. Now I get an unplanned $400-$500 expense. The RF-1200s look awesome, but which Shoei model is the "real" success to the Qwest? I ride a dual-sport and don't go super ultra mega fast but the Qwest fit well and was comfortable, so feels like Shoei is a good match for my head shape.

So my RF-1200 shows up tomorrow!

Also, my building found my helmet in a corner of the parking garage. So, don’t know if someone stole it, someone was being an rear end in a top hat, or whatever the gently caress, but now I have two helmets.

I think there are some new scuffs on it, but no idea if it was dropped or not. How does the Shoei mail in X-Ray thing work? Pay like $25 to ship it to them (after finding a box) to see if it’s junk or not?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I'd uh, try to disinfect the liner too. Y'know, just in case :brainworms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I wonder if a raccoon stole it or something