Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Here's a Soldano GTO high voltage tube preamp (you basically use a laptop power adapter since it sucks like 600ma at 12v but runs internally at hundreds of volts):

https://reverb.com/item/18475962-sushi-box-fx-black-eye-tube-distortion

Unfortunately, the demo video is basically useless as he is using an incredibly shrill amp to demonstrate it. :(

Also, he should've just gone into a power amp instead of running it into the front-end of something. :(

edit: sorry it runs at 9v at the jack but 200v internally at 1 amp (!!) :stonk:

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The Muppets On PCP posted:

the closest thing to the old matamp/orange sound in a pedal is a black arts toneworks lstr

trump_wrong.gif

https://dunwichamps.bigcartel.com/product/da120-overdrive

The dude at Dunwich is the best it gets at designing circuits and especially at doing the tube to fet adaptations.

I mean cmon now listen to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaQx5H7o_74

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 18, 2019

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

https://dunwichamps.bigcartel.com/product/da120-overdrive

The dude at Dunwich is the best it gets at designing circuits and especially at doing the tube to fet adaptations.
ugh if that pedal is ever in stock I must have it. that Dopesmoker sound....

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

I bought this and I like it. Haven't tried it at practice yet, but it seems like it will keep up fine.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Professor Science posted:

ugh if that pedal is ever in stock I must have it. that Dopesmoker sound....

he gets pretty busy and as far as i know only builds as a hobby/when he has time

https://fridayclubpedals.com/collections/frontpage/products/pd100 < the dude who makes mr black pedals does these and they regularly go on sale for 100

the closest thing to the old matamp/orange sound in a pedal is a black arts toneworks lstr

this is also a good option, as is the midnight amplification holy mountain (although that one’s real expensive)

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kudos to Mr. Black for not demoing it with Dopesmoker but he should've just demoed it with Dopesmoker. I'm not sure it's very close to Matampy but it sounds great in its own way.

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Kudos to Mr. Black for not demoing it with Dopesmoker but he should've just demoed it with Dopesmoker. I'm not sure it's very close to Matampy but it sounds great in its own way.
To be fair this pretty much nails what I want out of a demo:
http://www.fridayclub.jackdeville.com/audio/swordin.mp3

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

It's sounds sufficiently butt-stuffed, imho. It has IT.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Yea that tone has a mustache and wants you to hold his beer. Good poo poo.

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

Death Panel Czar posted:

To be fair this pretty much nails what I want out of a demo:
http://www.fridayclub.jackdeville.com/audio/swordin.mp3

I’m sold based on this demo alone. These go on sale on the reg?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Doomy posted:

I’m sold based on this demo alone. These go on sale on the reg?

pretty regularly yeah and they pop up used pretty often just because they're cheap enough to experiment with and then flip if you don't like them

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

That’s a lot more digestible than the Dunwich

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
I just bought a GK MB500 (500w @ 4ohms, 350w @ 8ohms), and am trying to pair it with one or more speaker cabinets. I'm aiming for something 8ohms to start so I can add to it later, I'm just wondering about potentially not "driving" a cabinet enough if that makes sense.

I could get an Eden D410T (540w, 8ohm cabinet) now for pretty cheap, and a second one if I wanted down the road, but I'm worried that 250w driving each cabinet wouldn't really be "enough". I'm pretty new to pairing heads with cabinets as when I was last gigging regularly I always mooched off of my pal's Ampeg full stack and didn't really have to question anything.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
It'll be fine, 350 watts is a lot more power than people think it is.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

Pokey Araya posted:

It'll be fine, 350 watts is a lot more power than people think it is.

Yeah, for sure. I guess what I'm asking is that say if did upgrade to having two of them eventually, therefore pumping 250watts into each 540watt rated cabinet, do you think that'd still be enough wattage to drive the cabinets? Something I was reading mentioned that if a cabinet isn't driven hard enough there might be tone issues? This is probably complete horseshit, I know the electrical side of things well enough but not the tonal implications. Sorry if this is simpleton stuff I'm just not wanting to paint myself into a corner with a purchase.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Jcam posted:

Yeah, for sure. I guess what I'm asking is that say if did upgrade to having two of them eventually, therefore pumping 250watts into each 540watt rated cabinet, do you think that'd still be enough wattage to drive the cabinets? Something I was reading mentioned that if a cabinet isn't driven hard enough there might be tone issues? This is probably complete horseshit, I know the electrical side of things well enough but not the tonal implications. Sorry if this is simpleton stuff I'm just not wanting to paint myself into a corner with a purchase.

it’ll be fine

mainly the issue with “not driving cabs hard enough” relates to speaker breakup, which is not desirable in every single case; it’s another form of distortion so if you’re not especially worried about having that jon entwistle roar, you’re probably gonna be fi e

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?
I think my power tubes are dying, since I'm getting volume drops after I've been playing for a few hours. No big deal, 6V6s are cheapish, whatever.

But I'll need to bias my amp when I swap out tubes, and I've never done that before. My amp has bias probes and an external (ish) potentiometer so I think I can do this without killing myself, but can anyone tell me what kind of multimeter I'll need to do this? Will a $10 one from amazon work?

Edit: Here's the manual for my amp if it makes any difference: http://www.ceriatone.com/ceriatone/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/ceriatone-son-of-yeti-manual.pdf

Gnumonic fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 9, 2019

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
yeah any multimeter will work

it's was very nice of them to stick some probe jacks on the back. not nearly as fun as taking out the chassis and measuring current across the standby lugs. nothing like that satisfying little spark and wondering if today's the day you're gonna die

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

yeah any multimeter will work

it's was very nice of them to stick some probe jacks on the back. not nearly as fun as taking out the chassis and measuring current across the standby lugs. nothing like that satisfying little spark and wondering if today's the day you're gonna die

Yeah I honestly wouldn't bother doing it myself if it didn't have the probes. I don't have enough presence of mind to remember to keep one hand in my pocket to prevent a foolish death.

Anyway thanks! Hopefully I'll survive this.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Ok Bias question:

Got my tubes and multimeter and I'm running into an issue: The bias reading for each tube differs by 2-3mv. One of the tubes gives me a bias reading of 25mv, which is what the manufacturer recommends, but the other is giving me 22-22.5. Is this normal or does this mean something's hosed up? (My amp has a resistor in it to make biasing easier, I apologize if bias readings aren't normally in mv and this is confusing.)

Amp *sounds* fine.

Edit: Amp sounds *amazing* actually. I didn't even install the new tubes yet, just adjusted the old ones, and there's so much more headroom now.

Gnumonic fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Apr 11, 2019

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

aint no power tubes measured in millivolts i reckon.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

aint no power tubes measured in millivolts i reckon.

"You might wonder why your DMM is set to millivolts and not milliamps – simply, we have a 1 Ohm resistor placed between your probe jacks and ground to convert a current reading to a voltage reading. That way, a bias current of 24mA measures as 24mV on your DMM."

Or so my amp's manual says, anyway.

Anyway I swapped all my power tubes and rebiased and everything was working fine for a while but now I'm getting weird rear end *gain* drops when the amp's been on for a while. If gain is randomly dropping (without a corresponding drop in volume), that's probably a bad preamp tube, right?

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

My guitar sounds best free from the oppression of pedals and direct into my amp.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Alright y'all, I'm losing my poo poo. I have five amps. Three of them have zero issues. I have two footswitches, and Orange single and a Vox VFS2A double. Both work with those three amps.

The last two (my new old Ashton and my Hiwatt) however have issues. If I plug either footswitch in they will set themselves to a channel and not change. LEDs work fine. No switching happens. However, if I swap the footswitch for a tap tempo it works all of a sudden. It will change channels, modes, reverb, etc, but only for as long as the switch is held (cause it's momentary). But the other footswitches seem to work fine with all the other amps.

Any ideas? I first thought the jacks were faulty, but the tap tempo works perfectly. Then I thought the footswitches were faulty but they work 100% in everything else. I'm kind of lost. I'd rather not give up and take it to a tech over something that's probably basic as poo poo.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Gnumonic posted:

"You might wonder why your DMM is set to millivolts and not milliamps – simply, we have a 1 Ohm resistor placed between your probe jacks and ground to convert a current reading to a voltage reading. That way, a bias current of 24mA measures as 24mV on your DMM."

Or so my amp's manual says, anyway.

Anyway I swapped all my power tubes and rebiased and everything was working fine for a while but now I'm getting weird rear end *gain* drops when the amp's been on for a while. If gain is randomly dropping (without a corresponding drop in volume), that's probably a bad preamp tube, right?

whoa! neat!

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

Alright y'all, I'm losing my poo poo. I have five amps. Three of them have zero issues. I have two footswitches, and Orange single and a Vox VFS2A double. Both work with those three amps.

The last two (my new old Ashton and my Hiwatt) however have issues. If I plug either footswitch in they will set themselves to a channel and not change. LEDs work fine. No switching happens. However, if I swap the footswitch for a tap tempo it works all of a sudden. It will change channels, modes, reverb, etc, but only for as long as the switch is held (cause it's momentary). But the other footswitches seem to work fine with all the other amps.

Any ideas? I first thought the jacks were faulty, but the tap tempo works perfectly. Then I thought the footswitches were faulty but they work 100% in everything else. I'm kind of lost. I'd rather not give up and take it to a tech over something that's probably basic as poo poo.

Check the manual, the hiwatt and ashton jacks are probably the opposite polarity from your other amps, and thus why the switches are backwards, if that makes any sense.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Pokey Araya posted:

Check the manual, the hiwatt and ashton jacks are probably the opposite polarity from your other amps, and thus why the switches are backwards, if that makes any sense.

Haha oh if it were only that simple. I can find the schematics fine but as far as a manual goes? Good luck. I've been searching for a week. The Hiwatt was made by the old management, so they don't have a manual available on their site. The Ashton seems to have been completely disowned.

Either way, emailing support for either was useless. I'm just going to a local music place Monday and they're gonna help plug in various types of switches. Hopefully we'll find a match.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Get a foot switch with a polarity option ala Boss

https://imgur.com/a/6XNT2wf

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000
Confused why any of the 'fuzz' pedals are considered stoner, this sound is cranked amp right, not fuzz. Maybe cause I have more a thrash metal background I'm confused about distortion tones. For me the ultimate stoner metal tone is Sky Valley Kyuss and that doesn't sound like fuzz to me. I'm really thinking about these pedals like LSTR etc. that are fuzz pedals but are supposed to be giving that sound of Matamp / Electric amp. Old Electric demos sound amazing and I've always wanted one, but they aren't fuzz circuits right? Like in the preamp gain stage it's fuzz or distortion or what, I guess is my ask here. Overdrive/distortion is a different beast. So why are these stoner pedals doing fuzz? Am I confused? Maybe in the end gain is gain is gain?? Or maybe Sleep was using fuzz so that approaches dirt from another angle and that's what people are trying to get here?

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

mr_package posted:

Confused why any of the 'fuzz' pedals are considered stoner, this sound is cranked amp right, not fuzz. Maybe cause I have more a thrash metal background I'm confused about distortion tones. For me the ultimate stoner metal tone is Sky Valley Kyuss and that doesn't sound like fuzz to me. I'm really thinking about these pedals like LSTR etc. that are fuzz pedals but are supposed to be giving that sound of Matamp / Electric amp. Old Electric demos sound amazing and I've always wanted one, but they aren't fuzz circuits right? Like in the preamp gain stage it's fuzz or distortion or what, I guess is my ask here. Overdrive/distortion is a different beast. So why are these stoner pedals doing fuzz? Am I confused? Maybe in the end gain is gain is gain?? Or maybe Sleep was using fuzz so that approaches dirt from another angle and that's what people are trying to get here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ugj6rvDj0Mk

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I stopped this video @ 02:30 just to post that I am laughing my rear end off because of this track, and not in any bad kind of way.

I've probably started to ask what all these different kinds of metal are, when you guys say stoner or doom or whatever, but always thought I couldn't possibly get it.

Then I got curious and clicked on this video and at first I thought maybe someone found a one-string fretless guitar and played it with one finger until the drums came in and established the beat. Ok, it is a massive groove and a monster of a beat. All I think I am hearing are octave unisons on guitar and bass (at this point what really is the distinction?) but the singer comes in with his effects drenched voice and something just loving clicked. Maybe it was my balls finally dropping?

Seriously the production is crazy tight. There's basically no reverb to speak of. This is exactly the kind of in-your-face mixing that I so enjoyed way back when in 1994 when Dogman came out, except stripped down even barer.

And yeah. I was a huge pothead for many years. I can absolutely get the appeal of this kind of simple, monstrous, heavy groove to bring a whole new level of gently caress yeah to a high buzz (and a pizza.)

Look this was a lot of very pointless words and I am not saying I am awoken and will be pursuing a ton of this stuff but o my do I get this. This track, the 1/3 that I have heard of it, loving slays. In a sleepy way. Like if Eeore formed a band. A lot of words to say, thanks!

I'm listening again and giggling while I'm banging my head at what feels like maybe 75 bpm. Yeah I just finished it and I loving love it. It even has a traditional pentatonic guitar solo. loving cool as hell and I wish I was baked.

Here's an example of a track from Dogman that I was referring to. A lot of octave unison going on here too, and I promise it's not meant as a "I was into this poo poo before you were." I just don't care about that. Instead I hope that if you haven't heard it, you'll like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsdPtt2lUxg

Final E: FancyMike is your avatar from the 80's horror movie Lifeforce? I saw that when it came out and I was very tender and very young and it hosed with me pretty bad for a little while.

VV throwing up one tired horn for you, my man VV

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Apr 14, 2019

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Stoner/sludge/doom are awesome. I love how the genre progressed into this because sometimes you want some metal, but dont really want to throw up the horns because gently caress, you're tired. So tired.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

mr_package posted:

For me the ultimate stoner metal tone is Sky Valley Kyuss
Yes. This has stoner nature.

quote:

my ask
No. This does not have stoner nature.

Demon Cleaner in particular, but the whole album really, does sound like fuzz to me. Fuzz will get more aggressive if you run it through an aggressive amp, but that doesn't sound like what's happening here. I guess he was using a JCM900, according to some quick internet research. Never played one, but based on my experience with other Marshalls, I'd be surprised if they could be gotten to sound like that, even with the downtuning and bass cab, without some sort of fuzz, to take away some of the crispness and give it that sort of lazy underachiever sound I hear all over the album.

I generally get that sound with a germanium fuzz and often a touch of suboctave. Silicon fuzzes are a bit bright. I had an LSTR as part of the Sarcophagus pedal (Pharaoh/LSTR I think) and I never got any sound I liked out of the LSTR. Too abrasive, not really that fuzzy to me.

I've got some amps on the fuzzy side, especially if you feed them a loud bassy signal, but in general, fuzz pedals are a lot easier. My favorite fuzz setups are, in order:

germanium Fuzz Face clone (best for Kyuss)
two germanium Fuzz Face clones (sometimes two is better)
MXR Sub Machine or Sub Octave Bass Fuzz into BAT Pharaoh (Pharoahs are great bass fuzzes)
Occvlt Old Hag (germanium distortion/fuzz from Poland, really good pedal)

Hologram Dream Sequence is a really good suboctave in front of a fuzz too, but it's insanely expensive to use it just for that. Gives a really good Space Truckin' sort of sound.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Faustus posted:

throwing up one tired horn for you, my man
Um this was unintentionally maybe funnier than I intended it to be. Gonna leave it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Faustus being enlightened to the joys of doom metal is my new favorite 2019 moment :D

It’s an awesome genre! Nothing else quite scratches the same itch. Heavy, strung out, groovy, raw, droning and psychedelic.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Kilometers Davis posted:

Faustus being enlightened to the joys of doom metal is my new favorite 2019 moment :D

It’s an awesome genre! Nothing else quite scratches the same itch. Heavy, strung out, groovy, raw, droning and psychedelic.
Um I am truly sorry for the derail but add to this a couple things:

I listened to "I, Witchfinder" and it started the same way: a goofy audio clip, HUGE distortion, a riff, and the drums fading in... and I said, "Yessssssssss."

Then I checked out Sky Valley Kyuss and my first thought was, "That sounds a lot like Josh Homme ... OOooooohhhhh!"

And the best part? Dogman was recorded in 1993 and came out in 1994 and at the same time, guess what else was going on? This was.

It's like that moment in a movie when you finally see how connected everything is. Suddenly I perceive the parallel strands of music that go back to Sabbath and look at all this amazing stuff that grew from it.

I also recognize why I am not turned off by it: No Nu-metal emo-gently caress screaming poo poo. It's much more like Ozzy putting a simple melody through a Leslie. I am totally down with that. I will need some time to digest this. And I do apologize as I know the amp thread is not the right place for this stuff. It's been a very fun and interesting night and I must say I haven't had this kind of fun in way too long. It's a red-letter day for me, too.

poo poo, sorry, I am not done. You see when I was a kid I thought Sabbath was stupid. I thought it was just for disaffected teens. I am not even sure I was wrong about that. What I am sure of is this stuff I listened to last night elevates it somehow. Don't ask me how because I am going to have to sleep on it.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Apr 14, 2019

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Faustus posted:

And I do apologize as I know the amp thread is not the right place for this stuff.

i think you'll find it's the one correct and proper place

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEN1ya0qqh4

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The ultimate stoner band, for me, is Nebula:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knFfTkxYC5U

Also, Faustus, have some more heavy psychedelia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCxlPQHdauo

(those dudes are former members of Electric Wizard)

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I played an orange dark terror in the store (with a sales clerk who drew me in with the promise that for 30 seconds they'd step outside the store and I could turn it up to 10) and I might be prepared to renounce digital now.

I seriously loved the original tiny terror I had. They're fantastic sounding amps and not just "for the size" the ability to wind it up to power tube distortion is part of the fun.

The only issue I had with my old one was a few gig where we weren't given any PA reinforcement and I couldnt get any clean headroom, but gently caress clean headroom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Oh, come on. Just get it over with and show Faustus the man behind the curtain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keV7cSKPSTw