Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...
This phase of the thread's existence kinda reminds me of Alan Moore trashing every Doctor after William Hartnell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Behind The Laughter serves as a nice retroactive series endpoint, at least for me. The next couple seasons had some funny individual episodes but I definitely wasn't going out of the way to watch every one.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...
I feel like after the golden age there's a long phase of "good enough to watch when bored, with some occasional goldies". Not so much a quality thing but an era delineator, but I've always viewed that tall tales episode with the hobo as the end of the show I grew up with. Mostly because I think it was the last episode not done in HD or something?

Actually, come to think of it, those anthology episodes kinda crept in at the start of the decline...

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

This was the first episode I was kinda meh on. It's a solid episode with some good jokes, but it's probably my least favorite of golden age

What should the name be for the declining seasons, like 9-12. Bronze age?

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

Mind Loving Owl posted:

I feel like after the golden age there's a long phase of "good enough to watch when bored, with some occasional goldies". Not so much a quality thing but an era delineator, but I've always viewed that tall tales episode with the hobo as the end of the show I grew up with. Mostly because I think it was the last episode not done in HD or something?

Nah, that was the last episode of season 12, and they didn't go HD until season 20.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Mind Loving Owl posted:

This phase of the thread's existence kinda reminds me of Alan Moore trashing every Doctor after William Hartnell.
iirc the second doctor met fairytale characters without trying to gently caress their brains out, that's jumping the shark to him.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
Behind the Laughter is basically the series finale for me. The ending is just too perfect, “The Simpsons are going to Delaware!”.

They knew of the decades of suffering to follow. It’s kind of bone chilling, in fact.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I like to use the production codes to decide what fits in classic Simpsons vs post-classic. The classic series used the four character production codes while post-classic uses the XABF## codes. The means Bart the Mother (episode 5F22) the series finale of classic Simpsons. It also happens to be Phil Hartman's final episode which is also a good enough to reason to consider it the end of an era.

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Absolutely do not watch the Poochy episode with commentary turned on, the writers get a bit salty.
Probably not as salty as the nerds on alt.tv.simpsons were at the time. They did not take being lampooned by the show in good humor.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

J-Spot posted:

Probably not as salty as the nerds on alt.tv.simpsons were at the time. They did not take being lampooned by the show in good humor.

Well now how on earth am I supposed to picture that happening except exactly the way the show did it.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
I was a huge simpsons fan. Watched two episodes a day when I was a kid. I don't think it had a downfall, I guess I just grew out of it. Kids made fun of me because I always had a simpsons quote. Then one day I stopped watching it. poo poo happens

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You stopped watching because the show became bad.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

steinrokkan posted:

You stopped watching because the show became bad.

for sure, but it became bad for me at a different time than anyone else

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I think most people continued some time into the bad seasons just out of habit / inertia.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

J-Spot posted:

I like to use the production codes to decide what fits in classic Simpsons vs post-classic. The classic series used the four character production codes while post-classic uses the XABF## codes. The means Bart the Mother (episode 5F22) the series finale of classic Simpsons. It also happens to be Phil Hartman's final episode which is also a good enough to reason to consider it the end of an era.

when winter rolled around, the simpsons simply froze to death

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

steinrokkan posted:

I think most people continued some time into the bad seasons just out of habit / inertia.

I for sure did

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I was also a two-a-day Simpsons watcher. The first thing you have to realize is that in the late nineties and early aughts, the syndicated episodes were really only pulling from 1-12 with the majority being firmly in golden era territory.

Then at some point I left for college and cable was something we paid for but didn't use because we were supposed to be adults. On odd occasion we'd use the fledgling streaming services but they didn't have anything of value.

So it was the odd Sunday that we'd remember we had free network TV and we'd watch the Simpsons.

And it was awful. We'd only finish episodes out of morbid curiosity. I've never looked back.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Atlas Hugged posted:

I was also a two-a-day Simpsons watcher. The first thing you have to realize is that in the late nineties and early aughts, the syndicated episodes were really only pulling from 1-12 with the majority being firmly in golden era territory.

Then at some point I left for college and cable was something we paid for but didn't use because we were supposed to be adults. On odd occasion we'd use the fledgling streaming services but they didn't have anything of value.

So it was the odd Sunday that we'd remember we had free network TV and we'd watch the Simpsons.

And it was awful. We'd only finish episodes out of morbid curiosity. I've never looked back.

I think the first time I decided that I don't want to watch the Simpsons anymore was the 25 anniversary episode

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
That's like a long time after I stopped.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Atlas Hugged posted:

That's like a long time after I stopped.

dude, I really liked the Simpsons

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

steinrokkan posted:

I stopped at like 13 and feel that was the perfect place to stop.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
I used to tolerate up to 12, then it was 11. Now I'm lucky if I can find half an hour a week in which to enjoy 9.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

SeANMcBAY posted:

I stopped at like 13 and feel that was the perfect place to stop.

nahh, I was 20

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Nm

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I remember I stopped watching when it seemed like most of the episodes were going the route of the early-'00s version of clickbait, where they'd try to draw viewers in by teasing certain plots, like Homer/Ned marrying new people or Marge getting a boob job. At that point, the show seemed so loose and disjointed. They weren't really doing episodes that explored characters like Hurricane Neddy did, instead opting for "Who is Ned dating now?!?!?" types of episodes.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Plan Z posted:

I remember I stopped watching when it seemed like most of the episodes were going the route of the early-'00s version of clickbait, where they'd try to draw viewers in by teasing certain plots, like Homer/Ned marrying new people or Marge getting a boob job. At that point, the show seemed so loose and disjointed. They weren't really doing episodes that explored characters like Hurricane Neddy did, instead opting for "Who is Ned dating now?!?!?" types of episodes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=surkCGT2emA

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I think the first time I decided that I don't want to watch the Simpsons anymore was the 25 anniversary episode

i don't know when they happened chronologically, but my quitting point was either that stupid sideshow bob italy episode with the little kid who kept screaming "vendetta", or the episode that was literally the exact same as the jessica lovejoy episode except not as funny & with a different girl

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

YeahTubaMike posted:

i don't know when they happened chronologically, but my quitting point was either that stupid sideshow bob italy episode with the little kid who kept screaming "vendetta", or the episode that was literally the exact same as the jessica lovejoy episode except not as funny & with a different girl

I am pretty sure Itay is a nazi

The Experiment
Dec 12, 2010

I watched The Simpsons since the first season. While I mentioned the World’s Fair episode is when I thought things were going in a wrong direction, I stuck it out to How I Spent My Strummer Vacation. At that point, I stopped watching. My parents, who watched The Simpsons since season one as well, stopped watching a couple years later.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-WFK7iKPb0
france fuckin rules

Mumpy Puffinz fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 14, 2019

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Mono! Uy!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Saint Drogo posted:

iirc the second doctor met fairytale characters without trying to gently caress their brains out, that's jumping the shark to him.

lol was that a thing that used to happen in Doctor Who

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

do either of u feel like summarising so we dont have to listen to a three hour podcast about a twenty minute episode?

Just skip through the parts where they invent stuff to get offended about 20 years after the fact and it’s down to a clean 35 minutes.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

J-Spot posted:

Having Bart explain to the audience stand in that The Simpsons provides years of high quality entertainment for free(lol) and if anything we owe them was not really in good humor.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Atlas Hugged posted:

The real golden age was like Season 7-9 when there was new Simpsons that didn't suck and also when you got home from school every day there'd be a syndicated episode at 6 that also ruled.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Having Bart explain to the audience stand in that The Simpsons provides years of high quality entertainment for free(lol) and if anything we owe them was not really in good humor.

yeah that scene is kinda a letdown in an otherwise excellent episode

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Improbable Lobster posted:

yeah that scene is kinda a letdown in an otherwise excellent episode

that was the poochie episode wasn't it.
I think everything the characters said should be taken with a grain of salt

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I feel like that bit from the Poochie episode looks bad in hindsight if you think about how bad the show's gotten, but if you only consider the show up to and around that point, it's fair

e: yeah, that was season 8, "thank the writers for having given you seasons 1-7 to watch for free" is a fair statement

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

It looks bad even without taking the later seasons into account because it (deliberately?) misrepresents the business model of network TV. It's only "free" in the same sense that something like Facebook is free, where the company providing the service is making money off your use of their platform. I'm not going to go so far as to say the people who were making the Simpsons owe the viewers anything, but the show would not exist and those same people would not be getting paid if people did not watch their show, and to make it seem like they're providing you with entertainment out of the goodness of their hearts comes off like some weird martyr poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
The last episode I remember watching before I stopped was the one where Maude died. I was already losing interest and that one, something about it just told me enough was enough and the simpsons were all dead also.