Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Fine, here's a stupid-looking guitar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Dang It Bhabhi!

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Are those metal mama jeans?
Mama jeans are just jeans that used to be cool when mama was cool.

So yes.

Also, :swoon:

A Good Username
Oct 10, 2007

Just saw this. Not sure how stupid it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1hxZyD9VGI

It's pretty stupid

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
:shepspends: Dammit, stop tempting me try and purchase cool poo poo, goons!

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Wark Say posted:

Are those metal mama jeans?

not enough gunt

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Wark Say posted:

If the "budget" model wasn't $1500 I'd be all over that. And play nothing but slowcore jams with it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wark Say posted:

GOTTA STRUM FAST

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Why would someone even photoshop this? Hahaha.

Wark Say posted:

I love that the inlays are the Emblems from Sonic Adventure.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

GOTTA STRUM FAST
HOLY poo poo. :five:

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

So the 60 Cycle Hum podcast always has fodder for this thread. Conveniently already collected on Imgur!

But this one gets a special call-out:

Geddy Lee Bass.

The whole album: https://imgur.com/a/0GTtz6J

The podcast feed: https://sixtycyclehum.podbean.com/

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
hello old friend

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.
The Owls of Death Metal

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
https://metalinjection.net/latest-news/yes/david-hasselhoff-is-working-on-heavy-metal-songs-thats-the-kind-of-music-i-like-to-hear

You people like David Hasselhoff and heavy metal? Me neither. Watch out Pat Boone.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_S9FC_VXEc

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

By the time he had like 3 different transistor stages with 3 more op-amp stages I was like "bro that is literally nothing like the original circuit." If his point was to demonstrate how small changes to a circuit's architecture can make substantial differences I think he could've stopped in the middle.

Compare a Tube Screamer to an OCD or a Timmy. Same architectures, different results (well... that's up to your ears but it's true imo).

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Electrosmash.com does circuit analysis of pedals and one thing they have mentioned is how much luck goes into a pedal that has legendary sound.

Actually I'll just quote. This is from section 9 of their DS-1 writeup

https://www.electrosmash.com/boss-ds1-analysis posted:

This all-time classic Boss DS1 design has a lot of subtle things going under the radar that even the original designers do not fully grasp, in my opinion, the Klon Centaur is the pinnacle of this factor. In most cases, the electronic design of a good sounding pedal is a mix of luck, engineering, and black magic.

The whole section gives better context to this, refers pretty heavily to their schematic.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

By the time he had like 3 different transistor stages with 3 more op-amp stages I was like "bro that is literally nothing like the original circuit." If his point was to demonstrate how small changes to a circuit's architecture can make substantial differences I think he could've stopped in the middle.

Compare a Tube Screamer to an OCD or a Timmy. Same architectures, different results (well... that's up to your ears but it's true imo).

I'd have taken "is a copy/clone of" to be more like how a Vox and a Crybaby wah are the same circuit (at least the old un-bufferred CBs), but with slightly different component values rather than adding extra stages and changing how the clipping is done.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Jonny Nox posted:

Electrosmash.com does circuit analysis of pedals and one thing they have mentioned is how much luck goes into a pedal that has legendary sound.

Actually I'll just quote. This is from section 9 of their DS-1 writeup

The whole section gives better context to this, refers pretty heavily to their schematic.

I have a masters in engineering and I'm getting a PHD now and yeah, a lot of designs are just luck. In nearly every field we just sorta intelligently guess until stuff starts to work.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Spanish Manlove posted:

I have a masters in engineering and I'm getting a PHD now and yeah, a lot of designs are just luck. In nearly every field we just sorta intelligently guess until stuff starts to work.

I think that's an incomplete way of thinking about it. It's true what you say but also the experience of having these things coalesce into goodness leads to a certain sense/experience for how these things come together whether folks fully understand it or not. We know about psychoacoustics pretty well that even a layperson builder knows asymmetrical clipping tends to be what humans prefer. Couple that with some basic o-scope knowledge and experience with the classic waveforms of various dirt boxes, there's always some target to shoot for based on science and our ears.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Chalupa Joe posted:

I'd have taken "is a copy/clone of" to be more like how a Vox and a Crybaby wah are the same circuit (at least the old un-bufferred CBs), but with slightly different component values rather than adding extra stages and changing how the clipping is done.

Which is how we get this:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I think that's an incomplete way of thinking about it. It's true what you say but also the experience of having these things coalesce into goodness leads to a certain sense/experience for how these things come together whether folks fully understand it or not. We know about psychoacoustics pretty well that even a layperson builder knows asymmetrical clipping tends to be what humans prefer. Couple that with some basic o-scope knowledge and experience with the classic waveforms of various dirt boxes, there's always some target to shoot for based on science and our ears.

Ok so I may have been a little too reductionist. It you're totally right though.

Btw if you guys need an a cheap oscope, the virtins stuff works really well

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
https://www.gearnews.com/namm-2019-fender-jimmy-page-mirrored-and-dragon-telecasters/

Only $30,000+ a piece.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Apr 14, 2019

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

GreatGreen posted:

Only $30,000+ a piece.

and the mirrors don't come attached.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Holy poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cb_5_CCxMak

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

This guy rules

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGeL8mWLg50

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.
tone quilts

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Actuary X posted:

tone quilts

"Hm, should I make a separate account for my research into early Christianity? Nah, it's OK, I'll just dump everything in here."

The yellowed foam is worse, that's just a fire hazard.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
loving. AWESOME.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Hahah I kind of love this Rick Rubin looking motherfucker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMXTUzqGmWI

Laserjet 4P posted:

"Hm, should I make a separate account for my research into early Christianity? Nah, it's OK, I'll just dump everything in here."

The yellowed foam is worse, that's just a fire hazard.

lmao

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

You know what? Can't get mad at this anymore. Bilking bluesy boomers out of $30,000+ for some ugly rear end telecaster is a good grift that has everyone leave the table happy. Good for them!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Quilt shredder is unironically awesome and cooler than most of guitar YouTube.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Actuary X posted:

tone quilts

I mean, they probably have a notable acoustic impact on the room, so...

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

OutOfPrint posted:

You know what? Can't get mad at this anymore. Bilking bluesy boomers out of $30,000+ for some ugly rear end telecaster is a good grift that has everyone leave the table happy. Good for them!

I have this weird primal urge to think of Fender as "the good guys" and Gibson as "generally evil" and am glad to be reminded that capitalism/chaos reigns.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Hahah I kind of love this Rick Rubin looking motherfucker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMXTUzqGmWI

Is that the old guy who had the great video about how simple it is to play the blues? I loved that guy.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I have this weird primal urge to think of Fender as "the good guys" and Gibson as "generally evil" and am glad to be reminded that capitalism/chaos reigns.

the private equity firm that owns fmic is definitely more competent at running a musical instrument business

e: they're slapping the charvel logo on skate decks now

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 14, 2019

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I mean relative to Gibson, Fender has at least been "the better guys."

Gibson has been evil and bad for a long time. They just changed CEO's though, so Henry J is out of the picture now. Hopefully the new guy is better and stops pedaling $6,000 lime green / hot pink / black with green binding Les Paul Customs with floyd roses, investing in failing consumer electronics companies, and other complete wastes of time and money.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
FMIC aren't without their madcap/grift-friendly ideas, but as most of their lines demonstrate, they seem to at least have some modicum of common sense when it comes to dealing with who's gonna buy them what and market accordingly.

That Jimmy Page guitar seems squarely aimed at the Boomer blues-lawyer/doctor demo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
they also make a $1400 version for bluesaccountants