Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you want to be the 2020 Democratic Nominee?
This poll is closed.
Joe "the liberal who fights busing" Biden 27 1.40%
Bernie "please don't die" Sanders 1017 52.69%
Cory "charter schools" Booker 12 0.62%
Kirsten "wall street" Gillibrand 24 1.24%
Kamala "truancy queen" Harris 59 3.06%
Julian "who?" Castro 7 0.36%
Tulsi "gay panic" Gabbard 25 1.30%
Michael "crimes crimes crimes" Avenatti 22 1.14%
Sherrod "discount bernie" Brown 21 1.09%
Amy "horrible boss" Klobuchar 12 0.62%
Tammy "stands for america" Duckworth 48 2.49%
Beto "whataburger" O'Rourke 32 1.66%
Elizabeth "instagram beer" Warren 284 14.72%
Tom "impeach please" Steyer 4 0.21%
Michael "soda is the devil" Bloomberg 9 0.47%
Joseph Stalin 287 14.87%
Howard "coffee republican" Schultz 10 0.52%
Jay "nobody cares about climate change :(" Inslee 13 0.67%
Pete "gently caress the homeless" Butt Man 17 0.88%
Total: 1930 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Pulcinella di Bund posted:

I like how you just want to be the Rational Adult in the room and can’t name any substantial differences between them.

Judges
The Fed
Voting
Immigration
Foreign Policy
Environmental Policy
Energy Policy
Civil Rights
Trade Wars
Transgender Ban
Executive Orders
Attempts To Kill The ACA
LGTBQ Issues
Nepotism
Emoluments
Mush Level Of The Brain
Staffing Of The Executive
DACA
Open Criminality
Net Neutrality
Legislative Agenda

Biden isn't a good candidate, and many of his views on the above issues are also not good. In both cases he is better than Donny, and any pretense otherwise is dumb.

Edit:
Now if you want to argue that Biden is not good enough that in 2024 Republicans regroup and we all die from Global Warming, cool. I don't agree, but that's at least an argument that isn't based in foolish equivalence between two unequal things. This is especially not true as you go up the rankings of Democratic candidates toward Bernie, each of them further away from Donny on the issues.

The resulting conclusion isn't anyone other than Bernie is the same as Donny's second term. Small children can see that isn't true.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Apr 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Gyges posted:

Judges
The Fed
Voting
Immigration
Foreign Policy
Environmental Policy
Energy Policy
Civil Rights
Trade Wars
Transgender Ban
Executive Orders
Attempts To Kill The ACA
LGTBQ Issues
Nepotism
Emoluments
Mush Level Of The Brain
Staffing Of The Executive
DACA
Open Criminality
Net Neutrality
Legislative Agenda

Biden isn't a good candidate, and many of his views on the above issues are also not good. In both cases he is better than Donny, and any pretense otherwise is dumb.

Edit:
Now if you want to argue that Biden is not good enough that in 2024 Republicans regroup and we all die from Global Warming, cool. I don't agree, but that's at least an argument that isn't based in foolish equivalence between two unequal things. This is especially not true as you go up the rankings of Democratic candidates toward Bernie, each of them further away from Donny on the issues.

The resulting conclusion isn't anyone other than Bernie is the same as Donny's second term. Small children can see that isn't true.

on not one of those issues is Joe Biden better than Donald , and I will stay home if he gets the nomination. they fooled us in 2016 to “vote for the lesser of two evils “ and here we are

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

on not one of those issues is Joe Biden better than Donald

you might hate biden this is really really wrong lol

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

on not one of those issues is Joe Biden better than Donald , and I will stay home if he gets the nomination. they fooled us in 2016 to “vote for the lesser of two evils “ and here we are

We're here because not enough people voted for the lesser of two evils.

More than voted for the greater of two evils, but still not enough.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Typo posted:

you might hate biden this is really really wrong lol

joe Biden will side with the republicans every single time if it means he gets to be seen as the level headed compromiser . trump stabs me in the front , Biden stabs me in the back . Same loving knife

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

joe Biden will side with the republicans every single time if it means he gets to be seen as the level headed compromiser . trump stabs me in the front , Biden stabs me in the back . Same loving knife

Biden absolutely would not nominate guys like Gorsuch and Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court and that alone is a massive, massive difference

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Pakled posted:

Biden absolutely would not nominate guys like Gorsuch and Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court and that alone is a massive, massive difference

you know maybe if you said Warren or Sanders I’d believe you , but not Joe grab em by the pussy Biden.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Mahoning posted:

“I don’t think she’s electable/capable of beating Trump” just comes off as sexism to me. Mostly because nobody can really articulate what that means.

“There’s something about her!”

Like what, her lack of a dick?

She's a female intellectual and the American electorate is misogynist and anti-intellectual.

I think she would be the best president, so I'm going to vote for her. But I would definitely be worrying about her ability to win until the election was called.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Deified Data posted:

The reason there are electability concerns over Warren is because she allowed Trump and co. to dunk on her willingly with the ancestry thing when she shouldn't have given him the time of day (or better, never claimed to be meaningfully Cherokee to begin with, but hindsight and all that). She has (or had, hopefully it's not there anymore) a section of her website dedicated solely to dispelling strange myths about her that no sane person had ever heard of or given credence, thereby platforming poo poo that, once again, she should be ignoring. Warren has a proven, RECENT, track record of responding very poorly to even the most low-brow criticism, and ignoring that weakness is naive. Just so we're clear on that if this is all news to you - if you did know your post would come off as kind of disingenuous. I say this as someone who still has her as my close number 2 pick, with a huge gap between her and 3rd place.

Of course this is all beside the point that her numbers of flagging and all signs point towards inevitable defeat, whereas another leftist candidate with similar positions (give or take) has a vital campaign with momentum. If the roles were reversed and Warren had a shot while Sanders was flagging near the back I'd obviously have less reservations. Note that I am absolutely not without some reservations about Sanders too.

The general public doesn't give a poo poo about the ancestor stuff or twitter drama. If she lost the general election it would because she offended enough of the bigoted male electorate by being a powerful and intelligent woman to lose a squeaker.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

you know maybe if you said Warren or Sanders I’d believe you , but not Joe grab em by the pussy Biden.

It's cool how you keep making sure we all know that you know absolutely nothing about American politics or its politicians.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Gyges posted:

It's cool how you keep making sure we all know that you know absolutely nothing about American politics or its politicians.

the rational adult in the room , smug at max

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004

George Bush , before brutally slaughtering hundreds of thousands of Muslims , atleast went to a mosque first guys. So much better than Trump

That's kind of the point, yeah? That as bad as Bush was and with conservative bloodlust for Muslims at a peak, he at least made a basic gesture to differentiate normal Muslim Americans from the people that actually did the terrorism. You don't have to believe "Bush good" at all, you're just highlighting how Trump can't even bring himself to be slightly decent.

It's a savvy enough move for Sanders to show that this isn't normal and shouldn't be accepted regardless of your political disposition.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

If all Biden proposes on climate is rejoining Paris, that’s functionally the same as Trump at this point.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Unoriginal Name posted:

Israel is clearly an apartheid state but calling them Nazis just lets them muddy the waters and its a loving stupid thing to say

they were literally founded and run by open allies of the nazis for almost their entire existence. look up the lehi group/stern gang and then how many of israel's current politicians and parties have historical ties to them. these are people who, DURING THE HOLOCAUST, said nazi germany was less of an enemy of the jewish people than britain

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
the people who run israel are absolutely nazis. materially and ideologically, they are nazis. they shake hands with them and give each other nazi medals. israel is the greatest enemy of the jewish people in the world today.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Pakled posted:

We're here because not enough people voted for the lesser of two evils.

More than voted for the greater of two evils, but still not enough.

It's because presenting the choice as "lesser of two evils" is a bullshit choice and most people would rather just not bother.

Blaming voters means that we will go through this situation over and over and over, until voting and democracy is abolished and we're forced to resort to more violent means of achieving change. Making the choice "Good" vs "Bad" is a whole lot easier and more motivating than "Bad" and "Slightly less bad".

11/9 was an enormous learning opportunity for people like you. Learn from it, instead of doubling down.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

Pakled posted:

Ya, Biden got us Thomas.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Pakled posted:

you are either an idiot or working for the right wing.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Hello, brave Voter. I would like to present a choice to you, a person who's been electroshocked at random intervals at 175 volts throughout their entire lives. Do you want to follow this overextended, heinously long election season to determine whether or not you'd prefer to be electrocuted at 150 volts or 200 volts, assuming a constant amperage?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

hadji murad posted:

He also set into motion plans to invade several Muslim countries and kill hundreds of thousands.

Bernie is very bad here.

From personal experience I can tell you they had no loving idea what they were going to do. Chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff told a hall full of Academy cadets they were going to take their sea years as unlicensed vessel crew for the largest sea lift since Vietnam. Obviously that didn't happen. They were making it up on the fly because they didn't know what the gently caress was really happening.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Your Parents posted:

they were literally founded and run by open allies of the nazis for almost their entire existence. look up the lehi group/stern gang and then how many of israel's current politicians and parties have historical ties to them. these are people who, DURING THE HOLOCAUST, said nazi germany was less of an enemy of the jewish people than britain

OK but you sound like Alex Jones so maybe just say fascist instead?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

SKULL.GIF posted:

It's because presenting the choice as "lesser of two evils" is a bullshit choice and most people would rather just not bother.

Blaming voters means that we will go through this situation over and over and over, until voting and democracy is abolished and we're forced to resort to more violent means of achieving change. Making the choice "Good" vs "Bad" is a whole lot easier and more motivating than "Bad" and "Slightly less bad".

11/9 was an enormous learning opportunity for people like you. Learn from it, instead of doubling down.

If the primary was today I'd vote for Bernie, I do want the party to move to the left, and I agree with you that a more left-leaning candidate like him would stand a better chance in the general than a centrist like Biden, but I'm just saying if it comes down to it, any of the Democratic candidates are preferable to 4 more years of Trump.

It'd suck if Biden was the nominee, both because I think it increases the chances of Trump winning and because he's the Dem candidate furthest from my views but what else am I supposed to do if that happens? Not vote?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Pakled posted:

If the primary was today I'd vote for Bernie, I do want the party to move to the left, and I agree with you that a more left-leaning candidate like him would stand a better chance in the general than a centrist like Biden, but I'm just saying if it comes down to it, any of the Democratic candidates are preferable to 4 more years of Trump.

It'd suck if Biden was the nominee, both because I think it increases the chances of Trump winning and because he's the Dem candidate furthest from my views but what else am I supposed to do if that happens? Not vote?

While I understand why this seems to intuitively make sense, a point I was making earlier in the thread is that it's actually not entirely clear whether a bad Democratic administration like one under Biden is superior to Trump on the whole. While Biden in the specific role of president wouldn't be quite as bad as Trump, it would likely result in depressed Democratic turn-out for Congressional and state/local-level races (as opposed to the increased turn-out that occurred in response to Trump). There's also a good chance Democratic politicians would be willing to pass harmful legislation under a bad Democratic president in a situation where they'd be willing to oppose Trump (and it is very likely a Biden administration would support a number of actively bad things). And this is ignoring the fact that it makes a bad Republican winning even more likely after their term ends.

Basically, I don't think it's nearly clear enough to condemn people for not voting for the lesser evil. It isn't the black/white "obviously even a bad Democrat being elected is better" situation that it might appear to be at first glance.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Pakled posted:

I can't tell you what your values are, but if you feel like you can't vote for a candidate for whatever reason, the solution is to leave that field blank. Never don't vote, state and local elections are too important.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

BrandorKP posted:

From personal experience I can tell you they had no loving idea what they were going to do. Chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff told a hall full of Academy cadets they were going to take their sea years as unlicensed vessel crew for the largest sea lift since Vietnam. Obviously that didn't happen. They were making it up on the fly because they didn't know what the gently caress was really happening.

By the time he visited the mosque days later they were planning how to get into Iraq.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

What state do you live in, might I ask?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Pakled posted:

Democrats might have backed down after the story broke on Kavanaugh's sex crimes but he and Gorsuch are exactly the kind of well educated, well-credentialed, 'non-partisan' judges that Biden would nominate.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

420 Gank Mid posted:

Democrats might have backed down after the story broke on Kavanaugh's sex crimes but he and Gorsuch are exactly the kind of well educated, well-credentialed, 'non-partisan' judges that Biden would nominate.

Don't be silly, Biden would have nominated Merrick Garland, twice.

Kavanaugh and Gorsuch are pretty distinct from the Garland types in that K & G both had extremely strong partisan credentials. They were nominated and chosen deliberately as Republican partisans, that was the point.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

I don't agree. Biden will compromise on entirely too many important things, ultimately dooming the country and the human race, but I sincerely doubt he'd appoint someone as openly odious as a Gorsuch or a Kavanaugh. This is not because he's a good person, but rather because he'd lose the support of the center, without gaining any support from the right. He'd quickly become as unpopular as Trump. Biden's an egomaniac, but he's not a complete idiot. He's not going to do anything that makes him that hated.

e: which is a pretty damning commentary on the American electorate, if you think about it. Policies that would doom humanity might not make a President Biden hated, but nominating another lovely conservative to SCOTUS might.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Apr 14, 2019

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

hadji murad posted:

By the time he visited the mosque days later they were planning how to get into Iraq.

I have a conspicuous lack of knowledge what everybody else saw on TV in days and weeks that followed (because I didn't get to watch). But I know what I got told about two weeks after the event.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
No Democrat currently running for the nomination is picking anyone off the Federalist Society Wet Dreams list. They'll make varying degrees of unsatisfactory to good choices, but the idea that they'd even want one of those idiots doesn't add up.

For the Supreme Court Sanders and Waren are the most likely to appoint Sotomayors or RBGs. Everyone else isn't nominating anyone to the right of Garland. Any Federalist Society approved judge is to the right of Roberts, who has been a disappointment to the ghoulish organization.

For the lower courts the same will hold true, even Biden will appoint centrist judges at the very worst. Originalists and other Right Wing jurists do not advance or support the agenda of Democrat.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Apr 14, 2019

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

Even the shittiest succdems support expanding voting rights to the point of making it the first item on the House docket, including Pelosi and Biden. That alone is a seismic step up from Trump who’s pushing as hard as he can in the other direction

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill
I'm behind a page, but It would be helpful to the thread if people explained what they're talking about. Here's some background re: Israel sterilization https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/israel-gave-birth-control-to-ethiopian-jews-without-their-consent-8468800.html

Israel admitted in 2013 that it administered birth control drug depo-provera, often under coercion and without consent.

Independent posted:

One of the Ethiopian women who was interviewed is quoted as saying: “They [medical staff] told us they are inoculations. We took it every three months. We said we didn’t want to.” It is alleged that some of the women were forced or coerced to take the drug while in transit camps in Ethiopia.

Whale Vomit fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Apr 14, 2019

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Majorian posted:

e: which is a pretty damning commentary on the American electorate, if you think about it. Policies that would doom humanity might not make a President Biden hated, but nominating another lovely conservative to SCOTUS might.

Not on the level of ending the world, but every Conservative on the Supreme Court is a lasting existential threat to millions of Americans, and that's not even getting into the 2000 election and its far-reaching consequences or other ratfucking scenarios.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

YaketySass posted:

Not on the level of ending the world, but every Conservative on the Supreme Court is a lasting existential threat to millions of Americans, and that's not even getting into the 2000 election and its far-reaching consequences or other ratfucking scenarios.

Oh sure, I'm more commenting on the fact that the policy decisions that make humanity-destroying climate change increasingly likely never see to have political consequences, regardless of party.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Helsing posted:

I feel like it is worth remembering that Warren was a registered Republican until 1996. Sure people can change but to be a fully formed adult and to support the party of Ronald Reagan throughout the 80s is a major failure of both character and intellect. I dont understand how you could put so much faith in someone like that, especially when there is an alternative candidate who has advocated the same positions consistently even when they were marginal and unpopular.

I don't think anyone should give a poo poo about someone's party affiliation from like 25 years ago lol

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

I also prefer to avoid points like "she used to be Republican" or "she's not anticapitalist" because they're mostly based on how someone subjectively views those things (and in the case of the latter, it's also basically true for Bernie).

Typo posted:

I don't think anyone should give a poo poo about someone's party affiliation from like 25 years ago lol

:agreed: with both of these points. Even when she was "a Republican" she was still a stalwart advocate for bankruptcy regulation and consumer protection, so it does a disservice to write her off as being a typical Republican. She did finally come to see the light, so to speak, and we should encourage that kind of attitude or else we just further drive people into increasingly polarised tribes.

Also, it's not nearly as bad as much more terrible and recent decisions from other candidates, like Mayor Butt becoming a troop in 2009 or Harris having AIPAC come visit her during business hours after claiming she wouldn't be going to the AIPAC conference. These are much clearer examples of hypocrisy/pandering, as opposed to "two and half decades ago, she was on the other side while still trying to do good work"

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Typo posted:

What’s your stance on the guy wearing blackface then?

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004

Terror Sweat posted:

What’s your stance on the guy wearing blackface then?

I think wearing blackface and publishing a picture doing so in your college yearbook is a bit different than aligning with one of the two major political parties in the country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
So I don't get to comment directly on your politicians often, since i'm from the UK - it brings me great pleasure to say

https://twitter.com/SpeakerPelosi/status/1117395599685558273

gently caress you you loving gently caress Pelosi, gently caress off till you can gently caress off no more then gently caress back on a bit so you can go back to loving right the gently caress off.