Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
People say that Muslims are good but have you ever considred that they are bad.

Big think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Is big think the new way to say galaxy brain?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

TheRat posted:

I think he's losing it

He's doing the old people thing where you put a space before the comma, class A

The Libearian
Nov 24, 2007
Return your books or face mauling

The DPRK posted:

I’ll admit it wasn’t as good as Season 1 but I was also quite pleased that it took a turn I wasn’t expecting. It became pretty absurd pretty quickly, reminded me of David Lynch a bit, but that’s sure to draw a lot of criticism.

Maybe it caught me at the right time. I swing between hating Lynch and thinking he’s a hack to thinking he’s a genius depending on my mood.

Like, sorry to also delurk but the first season of The OA is one of the best unflinching looks at trauma recovery not being tragically beautiful but painful and unpleasant and hard to be around for other people. Which I absolutely adored. Jason Issacs absolutely kills it as an abuser with his whole demeneor of how silly everyone is being for not understanding he's helping them and portraying hap as tired by everyone just not seeing reason.

I also like that while Disney is claiming that there are just no asian actors in the uk so we have to cast white people for Alladin, sorry. Marling wanted a teenage asian trans boy actor for Buck, was told by the studio that was impossible to find, instead reached out via LGBT community means and found Ian Alexander who does amazingly.

I liked season 2 but it wasn't as good as Season 1 but the final episode from the moment Homer integrated was just gorgeous and when I realised what the final twist was I just had the hugest grin.

sorry i absolutely adore the OA but fully acknowledge it is not easily accessible and probably doesn't do much for people not effected by the issues its portraying.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Rarity posted:

People say that Muslims are good but have you ever considred that they are bad.

Big think.
The left wing media never talks about them being bad either. Pick up any newspaper on any day and it's always headlined with "Muslims are brilliant, let's bring on more terrorisms against Westerners "

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

After the last few pages I feel like I'm the only one in the thread who's never watched star trek or bsg.

Red dwarf was okay for a light comedy show though.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Private Speech posted:

After the last few pages I feel like I'm the only one in the thread who's never watched star trek or bsg.

Red dwarf was okay for a light comedy show though.

Never watched any of star trek either, despite being a star wars fan. Just never got introduced to it.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Noxville posted:

Just watch Babylon 5

Finally a 100% correct opinion.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

sebzilla posted:

BSG was great and also had some Correct stuff in Season 3 showing how good unionisation and strike action are. Also Gaius fracking Baltar.
Gaius Baltar perfectly explains Theresa May. A character who is entirely propelled by a mix of fear, hubris and and absolute unwillingness to back down or admit mistakes, even if it results in treason or disaster.

Jose posted:

Jedi academy is fun because it lets you pick the powers that upgrade so you can get all the fun ones first instead of at the end of the game
I can't remember which game it was where you can put all of your points in 'luck' and have no force powers, but the enemies shots do less damage and are more likely to miss, which kind of handwaves characters like Boba Fett and Han Solo as having subconscious force powers in passive defence mode.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I can't remember which game it was where you can put all of your points in 'luck' and have no force powers, but the enemies shots do less damage and are more likely to miss, which kind of handwaves characters like Boba Fett and Han Solo as having subconscious force powers in passive defence mode.

that sounds like Knights of the Old Republic which supposedly have good writing but they are not really Fun to play so i never got far enough to find out

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Azza Bamboo posted:

Is big think the new way to say galaxy brain?

Nah it means using your brain stuff a lot, innit? Come on lads, let's get our heads together and figure out this climate change thing. What if we all just left our fridges open?

Big think.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1117402694774341633

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Surprisingly high Green vote, but they have made waves in most city centres after the lib dem's collapse. And 36% for labour not including london is very nice indeed.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I didn't realise multi member wards were a thing. Where I am there's one Labour candidate, three conservatives and two independents.

It offers 3 seats.

poo poo. Should have ran.

Dommolus Magnus
Feb 27, 2013

I must fully concur with the absolute boy here, Vienna is awful. I'm already dreading that I have to stay there for one whole week this year because of a conference.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I've been analysing the candidates for my district and in all likelihood it will remain blue.

There's 36 seats in the district. The Conservatives even in the worst possible outcome for them are guaranteed 6 of these just through the fact that there's not enough people contesting them in certain places.

They're fielding 31 candidates, and the next largest party is the Lincolnshire independents with 19.

Labour has 6 people running in the whole district.

In spite of my red card, the Lincolnshire Independents are anti austerity and anti Tory so I'm going to tell my friends to vote for them.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Apr 14, 2019

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Mega Comrade posted:

Can someone tell me why exactly these people are joining 'Change UK' when we already have a centrist party in the Liberal Democrats? Have change set out a manifesto that's vastly different in some way?
The Libs Dems have at least one major change they want to implement (voting reforms) and that's just one change too many for Change UK who definitely don't want to change anything about the UK.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Presumably that means it's an area where Labour doesn't have much of a chance?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Oh I missed sci fi chat. The Expanse is really good and Discovery is pretty good, those are my space ship show opinions.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

https://twitter.com/libbycwatson/status/1117411614607777793?s=20

lol

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
oh btw this is pretty good if you wanna find out who's standing in your borough/parish elections https://candidates.democracyclub.org.uk/

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

lol dems

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

This was she was too busy to bother defending ilhan Omar or the fact trump is telling officials to break the law because he will pardon them. Loves to enable fascism

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Nancy Pelosi is cancer

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
The global centrist establishment is really dumb

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
And you have the children that is taken from families in the south and is taken from families in the north, put together in the same detention center and then they are mixed together with poverty and it comes out as crime.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

She's really old and incredibly rich so is totally out of touch with how lovely most of the us is

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Jose posted:

This was she was too busy to bother defending ilhan Omar or the fact trump is telling officials to break the law because he will pardon them. Loves to enable fascism
Yeah but she clapped at Donald Trump in a funny way, so she is now our Khalessi.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

So the chart is getting pretty cool now.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
CUK securing the Pelosi Bump

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

https://twitter.com/inthesedeserts/status/1117412634117246977

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Watch (A Town Called) Eureka and/or Warehouse 13, nerds

Been watching Warehouse 13 for a couple hours now, cool show, thanks

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Anyone who hasn't tried Star Trek TOS should watch Balance of Terror. Great watch with a lot of tension and the introduction of Mark Lenard to the series.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Pochoclo posted:

Been watching Warehouse 13 for a couple hours now, cool show, thanks

wait til you get to the last series, there are two absolute stone cold classic episodes there

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Extremely good to see a well known MP willing to call out his fash colleagues as fash in so many words.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Angepain posted:

can't believe we've discussed terrible Voyager episodes and nobody's even mentioned the one where lightspeed travel turns them into space lizards that gently caress each other

That's a good episode, though.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

quote:

Andrew Marr: Let me ask about your views. Do you hate Islam?
Gerard Batten: I do not like the ideology, the literalist interpretation of Islam, certainly I don’t like it.
AM: You’ve called it a death cult.
GB: That’s right.
AM: There are millions of Muslims living in this country, completely law-abiding decent fellow citizens, and you appear to be smearing their religion as a death cult.
GB: The ideology itself is kill infidels wherever you find them, make war on infidels, strike terror into the hearts of infidels.
AM: You could pick bits of the bible or of lots of old texts and turn them into a –
GB: How many people do you know that live their life by a literal interpretation of the Old Testament? I don’t know anybody.
AM: There’s quite a few in America.
GB: Well, we’re not in America, we’re here. And I know lots of people in this country who do take a literal interpretation of Islam, and I think that’s the worrying thing. The people who are nominally Muslims, and I know plenty of them, and we’ve actually got a Muslim on our candidate list in the European elections, they are not a problem because they do not propose the literalist, fundamentalist interpretation of the religion.

"Some of my best friends are death cultists"

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Briefly wondered why james nesbitt was writing articles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

HJB posted:

"Some of my best friends are death cultists"

What a complete fuckstain