Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Sankis posted:

I'm getting back into DF again after a year and a half or so away. I've decided that I want a post-apocalyptic world that barely has anyone living in it. Whats the best settings for world creation for that? Lots of titans? High savagery and evil? Just a lot of time?

edit: unrelated but i searched an old HDD the other day trying to find the old boatmurdered saves and found an archived version of my super old let's play that used the same save (though had no link for it :( ) if anyone gives a poo poo for any reason. I don't remember it being too good or interesting aside from being pre-z-axis.

http://www.sankis.com/cr/thread1/1.php.htm

you'll need to manually change the page numbers and thread1 to 2, etc

I posted a save a page or two ago of a world with only 11 people left in civilised society, if that helps :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I thought 10,000 years on a pocket world might do it, but my test of that has a Hill-Titan going full Aku on this world for the entirety of it.

I'm going to go kill this Hill-Titan. :black101:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

What is the latest version like? I haven't played in a while and would like to give it a go again. Last time I remember reading about it there was some hosed up emotion system in place that resulted in dwarves freaking out if they saw too many corpses and you couldn't do much about it?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

It honestly doesn't seem that bad atm. It's playable! I even managed to rehab one dwarf back from super stressed the other day.

You can also just boot troublemakers from your fortress now, if they get too sad.

---

So, anyone want a fun world to mess around on?

https://pastebin.com/98h8eegJ

Dwarves died out in Year 2, one Elf civ in Year 8, Humans made it to year 19 and the Kobolds to 7 and 14. That other elf civ has had 11 notable entries over 250 years and consists mostly of goblins.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Apr 14, 2019

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Nettle Soup posted:

You can also just boot troublemakers from your fortress now, if they get too sad.

*a dwarf sits backwards of a horse, his hands tied, his face covered in a sack*

*the mayor speaks*

Urist Grumblegus, for the crimes of being a sourpuss, you are hereby banished from Stakelodges. May Fesh Soakgulfs, goddess of water and fish, have mercy on your soul.

Also what is that program you are using to look at world stats and such

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

What happens if you try to start a fortress in a world with no dwarven civilization?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Peewi posted:

What happens if you try to start a fortress in a world with no dwarven civilization?

You get the first two migrant waves, because they are hardcoded, then you get no further migrants and you get notified every season when a dwarven caravan or emissary should show up that strangely they did not.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Doesn't it just generate migrants for you on the fly in that case?

And, it's Legends Viewer in the LNP. It comes with instructions.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Nettle Soup posted:

And, it's Legends Viewer in the LNP. It comes with instructions.

only the first two waves, as noted, in my experience

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nettle Soup posted:

D2 hard-coated waves will be generated out of thin air, yes. But as I already told you, I'll give her the bike with my ex.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I'm about halfway through my turn in the current succession fort. It looks like we'll have a spot for a ☼new overseer☼ in early June.

If you're interested, get yourself introduced in the overseer discord.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Does one of your dwarves immediately become King/Queen if there are no dwarf civs?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Captain Cappy posted:

Does one of your dwarves immediately become King/Queen if there are no dwarf civs?

I believe so, better hope it isn't a productive worker because they won't lift a finger ever again!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

holy gently caress

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

holy gently caress

Good lord, how powerful do you even have to BE

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I don't know how to check that but she's 124 years old and would never pass up the chance for a good fistfight

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
an old dwarf with presumably lots of time to become ripped as poo poo is terrifyingly dangerous

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Something I’d like to see in the new version is special game rules. I want to be able to disable immigrants completely so I’ve just got my starting 7, maybe shorter childhoods, so I can build a generation fort.

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

What is the latest version like? I haven't played in a while and would like to give it a go again. Last time I remember reading about it there was some hosed up emotion system in place that resulted in dwarves freaking out if they saw too many corpses and you couldn't do much about it?

The new emotion system is awesome, or at least will be once the kinks are worked out. My biggest problem with emotions, other than fixable problems resulting from my own ignorance, has been dwarves brooding on unresolvable negative thoughts like being away from family and friends when those people will never be joining my fort.

Like others have said though, the ability to banish has been a life saver. In my most recent fort I've had to banish three people due to emotions, and I could have avoided at least two of them with better planning.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

edit 2: i'm a loving idiot who doesn't remember how Therapist works. IGNORE ME.

I'm using the latest Lazy New Pack.

I'm trying to use Dwarven Therapist but I'm encountering some issues that are perplexing me. It does not seem to be reading my game correctly. This happens with DFHack both on and off.

Everything looks normal on the labor screens but the optimization seems buggy as hell. Admittedly, it's been ages since I used it but I remember it being less janky than this.

I have 76 dwarves at the moment. No matter what settings I put in the optimizer I get something like this

Everyone is stripped of jobs and made a hauler. I don't even have 140 dwarves to be haulers. Then if I close the optimizer and open it again it only seems to identify me as having one dwarf.

Has anyone encountered this before? Is it some LNP thing? Am I doing something wrong? I'm so loving perplexed.

edit: Does the same with the downloaded version.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 15, 2019

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Doesn't look like you have added any jobs to prioritize.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

You're right. I'm a loving idiot. I feel like I did this exact same thing before.

Thanks.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Demiurge4 posted:

Something I’d like to see in the new version is special game rules. I want to be able to disable immigrants completely so I’ve just got my starting 7, maybe shorter childhoods, so I can build a generation fort.

You can already do this. Just edit the raws to make childhoods shorter and then just do some worldgen fuckery and or murdee of the starting waves and just go for it.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You can set the pop limit to 7 but the first two waves are hardcoded so you'll have to dfhack them dead or something yeah.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

After the first 2 waves, all migrants come from other seven settlements, presumably because they heard yours was cool and their old one sucked. When will there be a mechanic that if your dwarves get too unhappy, or your neighbors get too cool, your dwarves will mass emigrate off the map

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Isn't emigration already in? I know it's at least planned and needed the emotion changes to really work.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

I can't wait to train a horde of disgruntled amateur fish cleaners and see how they like it.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I have a Werelizard trapped in a room. She's been in there for months while I figure out how to deal with her, transforming every month. What I didn't realize was... she was pregnant. She just gave birth. I worry the baby is going to get eaten this next full moon. :ohdear:

edit: I took down a wall and the baby crawled out on their own. :buddy:

editedit: SON OF A gently caress. Dwarves wouldn't rebuild the wall fast enough. First thing werelizard does is get outside the room and tear her baby apart. gently caress. kwjhgelkrwberglkersn'aerwgwe

Zesty fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Apr 17, 2019

RandomMagus
May 3, 2017

Zesty posted:

I have a Werelizard trapped in a room. She's been in there for months while I figure out how to deal with her, transforming every month. What I didn't realize was... she was pregnant. She just gave birth. I worry the baby is going to get eaten this next full moon. :ohdear:

edit: I took down a wall and the baby crawled out on their own. :buddy:

editedit: SON OF A gently caress. Dwarves wouldn't rebuild the wall fast enough. First thing werelizard does is get outside the room and tear her baby apart. gently caress. kwjhgelkrwberglkersn'aerwgwe

Well that's gonna cause some bad thoughts.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Is there a way to reassign these manually? I'd like my generic haulers to be peasants so I can more easily distinguish things at a glance.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you could start by not unleashing werelizards on them

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Zesty posted:

Is there a way to reassign these manually? I'd like my generic haulers to be peasants so I can more easily distinguish things at a glance.

I think that is driven by the highest skill of the dwarf, so no outside of never training your haulers in anything.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
You can nickname your dwarves so that can be a crude system for tracking who does what but I just tend to get a feel for it until my fort population explodes and then you just deputize anybody you see idle for whatever needs doing.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I divide all my dwarves into skilled (affects quality) labor, skilled (affects speed) labor, and unskilled labor.

Skilled quality labor gets dedicated dwarves who are trained up to Legendary +5, skilled speed labor gets a dedicated dwarf if it needs to be churned out really fast (wood burning, farming) or goes into the unskilled pool if not, and everybody else goes in the "hauler / peasant" category.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 18, 2019

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I just turn on autolabor and let god sort it out

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I solve all these problems by spending an hour on the pre-embark menus and then never unpausing once I strike the earth.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I literally want to do what I said what I wanted to do, not... I don't know what you're suggesting, using a Dwarf Manager to assign labors. All I cared about was their color.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Yeah you didn't specify colour. No way you can change that as far as I know.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Zesty posted:

I literally want to do what I said what I wanted to do, not... I don't know what you're suggesting, using a Dwarf Manager to assign labors. All I cared about was their color.

Nettle Soup posted:

Yeah you didn't specify colour. No way you can change that as far as I know.

The color will change according to their highest ranked skill. I think the wiki has a breakdown of what ends up as what, but it's mostly pretty intuitive. You want color-coded dwarves, give them each exclusive jobs / job categories.

No way to make dwarves back into peasants, unfortunately. A while back I was looking into editing the raws to make sure that all immigrants came in with zero skills for exactly this reason, but I don't think it's possible without completely messing up dwarf society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

I'm trying to build a pump stack to get some magma up to my fort's second level. I had almost the whole thing built out of iron. I went back and looked at it and noticed for some reason now random pumps were in pieces.

I cannot figure out for the life of me what is causing this.

It doesn't have access to the caverns so it's not some random trolls doing this. I don't think there's anything coming up near the magma since the pumps at the bottom seem to be the only ones not getting destroyed.