Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

sporklift posted:

I thought it was some Japanese manufacturer but the fact that they tried it before 2007. Oops.

That makes sense. I wonder if the RSD thing is a dry run for seeing if people will buy this crap were they to mass produce them. It wouldn't work in 2007 but it sure as hell would work now. Third Man Records as it is today didn't exist until 2009. It was basically a sublabel type of thing for the White Stripes/Raconteurs releases when all of White's stuff was handled by Warner and others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

The 311 Lifestyle posted:

check this one out: Record Snore Day

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

dorium posted:

The day is not done unfortunately. I still need to find another copy of that death grips release and a couple other things for my family members requested list.

Wait did they Re-RSD re-release that Gorillaz album?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Would it be possible to stamp or cut a record out of Jolly Rancher-style hard candy?
- overheard in the Kero Kero Bonito recording studio

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Wait did they Re-RSD re-release that Gorillaz album?

Yep but it’s just a “first release” for RSD, so it will see a wider release in a month or so.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

CPL593H posted:

The maker of the little turntables is loving Crosley. And overall it's a really stupid idea.

But it's also really cool

pwn
May 27, 2004

revmoo posted:

Don’t get me wrong, it is, and if it had been $30 max, with the singles similarly cheap, then sure.

I saw a couple of White’s mystery boxes at the store and they were $10 each. No deal. Make it a good price (like $3, you love that number don’t you Jack?) or make it not a Mystery Box, one or the other. But $10 for an unknown lovely version of an available track? Piss up a rope, dude.

In retrospect I shoulda grabbed both and flipped them to offset my own purchases, but alas, I Am A Bad Capitalist

Schremp Howard posted:

I can't wait to see someone try to hoard and flip those and have it blow up on them.

Dr. Strange has some stuff up you can order now if you're so inclined, plus 15% off with the code RSD19. I ordered the Menzingers single and the Elliott compilation that came out for RSD 2013. That's probably all I do unless Bullmoose has something stupid leftover Monday morning.

E: lmao those players are $70
Thank you for this, I ordered a copy of Picnic of Love yesterday morning to be safe. As it turned out, my store had plenty available (Anal oval office is not as popular here as, say, the South Park soundtrack, which I personally saw at least four people buying in the first minutes... christ.) I still bought one for my buddy, which is what I photographed. I hope the good doctor gets mine out post haste! I want to see the animated etchings as Seth and Josh serenade me!!

ON THAT TOPIC: Besides Bullmoose, does anyone have any good recs for stores selling online post-RSD? I’m still after that Courtney Barnett 12” single...

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

The 311 Lifestyle posted:

check this one out: Record Snore Day

fuckin ethered

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

revmoo posted:

Meh.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Also here’s a relevant trip down memory lane: May 5 will be the 10th anniversary of when I saw AxCx in the Twin Cities. There was a full bill at Station 4 that night, headed by Anal oval office and Anal Blast, and supported by several other bands who had augmented their names for one night only (except the already appropriately-named queer punk group human being, who were added late.)

A recently-unearthed flier, on an In Defence LP I bought at the show

So while the other bands are playing, Seth and Josh and Tim are getting plastered in their van, as was their wont. I was rolling with only my film camera that night, no digital, and had already established contact with Josh earlier in the night. About halfway through other bands’ sets, Josh gets out of the van and finds me outside the front of the club and asks if I’d shoot a photo of them standing outside the neighbouring gay bar. I was pretty nervous (only one shot!) but managed a classic photo IMO:

None of the photos I shot of them playing turned out. I did get some good shots of human being, which can be seen here

Seth overdosed (again) in 2011, and died this time. I mailed a print of the photo to Seth’s Widow. Josh later remarked on Facebook: “Congrats on being the only person to ever take an AC pic that all 3 of us look good in. So, of course it was outside a gay bar.” I’m incredibly fortunate and overly-proud to have captured that fleeting moment, as 2/3rds of the band is dead, and Station 4 is long gone. And the gay bar closed too

Josh also wrote the following on FB at that time. His account has been gone for years, and my email notifications may be the only record of his thoughts that still exists, and I want them out in public for other fans to one day read

quote:

Seth and I had our problems over the last year, but we straigtened everything out. The last US tour was the longest tour AC ever did (and one of the best) me, Seth, and Tim was the best AC lineup ever. If he hadn't died, we would've gone to Europe in Sept., then Austrailia, then Japan. He died in his wife's arms, coming off an awesome tour, and off one of the best records of his career. I wish I could die like that

There's enough gay mushy crap going around about Seth so I'm just gonna say this....3 things I learned at Seth's funeral: 1. Open caskets are rough, I'd rather have my last memory be something else. 2. When I croak, I don't care what happens to my body, just keep it the gently caress away from a church. 3. I wish you weren't dead you loving rear end in a top hat

Sadly Josh didn’t die like that, he fell off an escalator while goofing off last year

Ending on a positive (?) note, a recollection I found years ago from a fan, followed by Josh’s response

quote:

i was there. seth putnam was making fun of this woman standing on the side of the stage. they go back and forth for a little, she's just kidding around, and seth goes "i really wanna punch you in the face, can i punch you in the face?" and she says yes. so he hits her, really hard too. my friend pat said he saw blood shoot out from her face when he hit her. anyways after that everyone went silent and this one dude started screaming and running towards the stage. apparently this was her husband and he body checked seth putnam across the stage into the wall and started beating the poo poo out of him. the show got shut down, people complained for their money back. after they refused to refund the money some people decided they would just take beer from behind the bar. that resulted in all the security guards grabbing the dudes and trying to hold them there while everyone else escaped. they got away with the security guards chasing after their car in the middle of the street while a cop car 180'd so fast and chased after them. it was the best 5 dollars i've ever spent.

quote:

ha! That wasnt just some random broad. Seth didnt know it at the time but that was the promoter's wife

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

pwn posted:

Thank you for this, I ordered a copy of Picnic of Love yesterday morning to be safe. As it turned out, my store had plenty available (Anal oval office is not as popular here as, say, the South Park soundtrack, which I personally saw at least four people buying in the first minutes... christ.) I still bought one for my buddy, which is what I photographed. I hope the good doctor gets mine out post haste! I want to see the animated etchings as Seth and Josh serenade me!!

ON THAT TOPIC: Besides Bullmoose, does anyone have any good recs for stores selling online post-RSD? I’m still after that Courtney Barnett 12” single...

Does Dr Strange not charge shipping at initial order? They had the Mastodon 10" a buddy was after so I ordered it, but didn't get charged shipping.

And pwn, was the South Park soundtrack really like 75$ in store when you got it? Bullmoose had copies this morning but they were charging like 72$ I mean I know I overpaid by spending 41$ on the Green Jelly LP (would be interested in knowing store prices on that if anyone else snagged one too), but 75$ for a 2x LP? They're not even 3" records!

pwn
May 27, 2004

esperantinc posted:

Does Dr Strange not charge shipping at initial order? They had the Mastodon 10" a buddy was after so I ordered it, but didn't get charged shipping.

And pwn, was the South Park soundtrack really like 75$ in store when you got it? Bullmoose had copies this morning but they were charging like 72$ I mean I know I overpaid by spending 41$ on the Green Jelly LP (would be interested in knowing store prices on that if anyone else snagged one too), but 75$ for a 2x LP? They're not even 3" records!
I I didn't personally check, the store was tiny and packed and I was not wanting to clog up the works by lollygagging!

Strange hasn't yet charged me for shipping, either. I hope that they are legit and that I don't get an order cancellation from them :ohdear:

edit: Here's a couple download links, they should still be good for a few more days.

The Camberwell Now - The EP Collection

Kero Kero Bonito - Time 'n' Place

pwn fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 15, 2019

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

caligulamprey posted:

"You got in line at 4:30 in the morning for that?"

Man, my heart broke for the one dude in line who just wanted the only copy of the Green Jello record the store stocked. Whoever nabbed that up is a fucker who didn't deserve it.

Look what you made me do

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Ballz posted:

Look what you made me do

Welcome to the club! Do you also have The Warner Bros album?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I like the liner notes saying most of the band doesn't even think they're on the album considering how well the instruments are being played, which is fair. Deepsea Diver Song is absolutely gorgeous.

The dude doing all the pREServed remastering is currently opening for Avey Tare and I've never seen someone wear their influences on their sleeve harder, mostly in regards to all the stomping and finger-waggling.

...I mean other than Animal Collective's "We Tigers," which is just Eskimo condensed into three minutes

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 15, 2019

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

CPL593H posted:

Welcome to the club! Do you also have The Warner Bros album?

I saw it on the shelf a few days after record store day and was like, "Oh neat, I guess it's not as rare as I thought so I'll pick it up some time later." THEN I NEVER SAW IT AGAIN.

So I got an extreme sense of deja vu seeing BS on the shelf in almost the exact same spot today. Hell no I wasn't passing it up.

I also picked up the RSD Herbie Hancock, a second copy of Child's Play since I actually liked the album and gave the other copy to my father-in-law, and the live Elvis RSD for a co-worker who couldn't find it on RSD for some reason.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

My store only got one copy of Trout Mask Replica, not cool. Guess I'll wait for the repress.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CPL593H posted:

That makes sense. I wonder if the RSD thing is a dry run for seeing if people will buy this crap were they to mass produce them. It wouldn't work in 2007 but it sure as hell would work now. Third Man Records as it is today didn't exist until 2009. It was basically a sublabel type of thing for the White Stripes/Raconteurs releases when all of White's stuff was handled by Warner and others.
Whoops. I meant 2017. My point being I think they tried it before the vinyl resurgence. Doesn't matter. I only collect 5in records now.

Boinks posted:

My store only got one copy of Trout Mask Replica, not cool. Guess I'll wait for the repress.

Is it that hard to find an OG? Welp just checked discogs... Maybe I shouldn't have been practicing my scratch technique on that one...

Edit:

quote:

As previously reported, White and his Third Man crew are no strangers to the tiny format. Back in 2005, the White Stripes released a red and white Triple Inchophone alongside 3-inch singles of "Top Special," "Hotel Yorba," "Blue Orchid," "Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground," "The Hardest Button to Button," "Fell In Love With A Girl" and "Seven Nation Army."

sporklift fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Apr 16, 2019

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

sporklift posted:

Is it that hard to find an OG? Welp just checked discogs... Maybe I shouldn't have been practicing my scratch technique on that one...

:stare:

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Quite poorly too.

And I recorded it for posterity.

https://www.mixcloud.com/mawesome/well-dang/

It's the first track so you don't have to wade through the whole show... but that would be cool if y'all did. :downs:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

sporklift posted:

Whoops. I meant 2017. My point being I think they tried it before the vinyl resurgence. Doesn't matter. I only collect 5in records now.

:hellyeah:

They released that as a mini "business card" CD as well. My has a note from the label apologizing for the delay. I don't remember a delay, but that was a while ago.

Since I dug it out of my closet, I'm posting my other 3" CDs as well please don't report me!

The bottom right is a Melt-Banana split w/ Fat Day. The others came with it and I actually have no way to listen to any of these at the moment. You had to send in 5 cover arts to the label and in return received 5 3" CD singles. I apologize to whomever received my really bad cover art.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I am highly jealous of that Super Roots 2. Wasn't that only available through mail order twenty-plus years ago?

The last pit I was ever in was the last Melt-Banana tour about six years ago (where the gently caress are they? They used to tour the states like clockwork every three years) when they started playing Uncontrollable Urge followed by Infection Defective. There wasn't an inch of my skin below my neck that wasn't touching another human body and it was the strangest sensation. Then I spent the rest of the show pulling scared people out of the pit like an adult. Got a permanent scar from that one.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Heh, yeah. I think the Japanese release of Chocolate Synthesizer has a mail-in post card and the first 1000 received Super Roots 2 in return? Something like that. I bought it off eBay in 2006 or so, same with those other Eye releases.

Yeah, Melt-Banana is definitely overdue for a tour. I have seen them every other year since 2005, except for 2013 when I was called out for work right before I was going to leave :mad: I didn’t go into the pit last time I saw them because they were opening for Napalm Death and metal crowds don’t seem quite as cool as punk crowds. :shobon:

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Badass funk. I mean, this song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmpYEJnGKLQ

Weird plastic sleeve on the Dangerdoom. Looks kinda cool but probably gonna fall apart with use.

This month's VMP. Cool story behind it. http://www.vinylmeplease.com/magazine/nat-turner-rebellion-vinyl/ Not a huge fan of the cover art. Looks like some crappy bargain bin compilation CD. I mean. Just making the cover matte would be an improvement. Instead it is super glossy. But hey I'm nitpicking. Record sounds great. Slightly warped but not enough to complain about. The 7in is a cool bonus. Wish they would ditch the art, stencils, cocktail recipes, and little booklets and do singles or cds or something.

Next month's VMP is looking kinda lame. Though the albums haven't been announced yet the guesses at this stage are usually correct.

So we have
Experience Unlimited - Free Yourself which seems like a pretty cool record but I just picked up a copy for $11

Al Green - Call Me Again great album but widely available for around $10+

Camp Lo - Uptown Saturday Night This might be cool. I wasn't listening to hip hop that much during this era but I liked what I heard.

Ma$e - Harlem World Ugh. Please no. This stuff is why I wasn't listening to much hip hop during that era.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Speaking of Nat Turner, the Philadelphia Inquirer recently ran a story on it that’s really fascinating. Love all the press this thing is getting.

And I agree, next month’s picks seem underwhelming. Neither hip hop front runner does much for me, and while EU is intriguing, it’s probably gonna stay in their store forever so I might just grab it as a swap some time down the road. I’ll probably get Al Green, though.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
Had a milestone birthday recently so went and bought myself a 'proper' set of speakers. The shop sells records too, so naturally I couldn't go home without some new ones which the nice man refused to take any money for.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Anyone pre-ordering the new FlyLo? Looks like a bunch of different sites are offering their own exclusive version.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Ballz posted:

Anyone pre-ordering the new FlyLo? Looks like a bunch of different sites are offering their own exclusive version.

I pre-ordered the clear version of his official store since I figure that's where the most money will go to the artist.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Ballz posted:

Hell yeah. That David Lynch video was crazy

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I ordered the red one from Rough Trade, they had some other stuff I wanted so I could save on shipping.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

You dudes have talked about widening a hole (heh) that’s a little tight on records, but what about flexidiscs? Seems like a more delicate situation to me.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

You dudes have talked about widening a hole (heh) that’s a little tight on records, but what about flexidiscs? Seems like a more delicate situation to me.

Use a water based lube and go very slowly.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Currently holding up this can of poppers to this Hardy Fox flexi, hoping that'll do the trick.

He would have wanted it this way. :unsmith:

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 19, 2019

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I'm listening to B.S. now for the first time. It's... a lot better than I thought it was gonna be?

Still no way I see myself getting away with ever playing this around the wife, but I'm enjoying it quite a bit. I could totally see myself going down a rabbit hole with these guys.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I find myself forgetting that I even own the Warner Bros. album because I never thought I'd ever have it in my possession in an official form. But I've been spinning that Baby Sex on the daily. It's a fun one.

Just got a handful of records back from my friend's house:

I love the inner sleeve of they Avey Tare.

And here's a digital download code up for grabs (my LP came with the limited edition 10", but I don't know if they're included in the download):

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

This is unrelated to the thing you just posted but when we were talking about Devo fair recently you (at least I think it was you) said that Oh No! It's Devo is your favorite of their albums because it's very cocaine driven. Well I found this clip of them doing Whip It on the ill fated Fridays where the band appears to have snorted half of Colombia.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQidM91CkXE

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I got a really well preserved copy of the prince album Dirty Mind today as well as a fairly nice copy of led Zeppelin 3.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

thrilla in vanilla posted:

I got a really well preserved copy of the prince album Dirty Mind today as well as a fairly nice copy of led Zeppelin 3.

Dirty Mind is a perfect album. A tight 30 minutes with no filler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Fav. Prince album, no question. That poo poo is concise.