Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

HJB posted:

"Some of my best friends are death cultists"
GB: How many people do you know that live their life by a literal interpretation of the Old Testament? I don’t know anybody.

(I'm not surprised he doesn't know anybody though, one of the few advantages of being an religiously self-isolating community is that you can avoid people like Gerard Batten more easily.)

e: 224 means Urim in Hebrew numerology, and so may refer to lights or to stones kept in a pouch and used in determining God's decision in certain questions and issues. Roll for initiative.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Apr 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

HJB posted:

"Some of my best friends are death cultists"

I mean, he's UKIP. That's probably entirely accurate.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like to think it's vince cable under the hat behind the bush.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

thespaceinvader posted:

What a complete fuckstain

Love 2 imply that anyone who isn't a hardcore fundamentalist doesn't actually have religious beliefs

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Why is he even focusing on the Old Testament? The New Testament is like 500 years older than the Koran and there are thousands of people who use that as a literal interpretation of how to live their life.

(it's cause he's a disingenuous shitheel)

(also lol at expecting him to know the first loving thing about the Koran other than "bad because jihad")

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Apr 14, 2019

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Guavanaut posted:

GB: How many people do you know that live their life by a literal interpretation of the Old Testament? I don’t know anybody.

(I'm not surprised he doesn't know anybody though, one of the few advantages of being an religiously self-isolating community is that you can avoid people like Gerard Batten more easily.)

e: 224 means Urim in Hebrew numerology, and so may refer to lights or to stones kept in a pouch and used in determining God's decision in certain questions and issues. Roll for initiative.

Is that Bill Bailey on the right?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

OwlFancier posted:

That hat isn't nearly stylish enough for my boy, Vince.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

no way, that hat is left of centre

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I also like that apparently the UK is full of death cult muslims but none of them actually do anything about it. Just really lazy death cultists.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Meanwhile they're taking orders from their totally not violent crime boss, Don Khaki

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Re : Local Election Chat

I received a letter from the local Tories. Inside the envelope was another letter (exactly the same) but addressed to my wife. There's an amazing paragraph about Corbyn that includes the line

"Did you know that he has advocated taking people's homes off them, in line with the Marxist doctrine that all property ownership is theft from society."
I think Kevin Drew, Constituency Agent for Hemel Hempstead Conservative Association is sounding a bit desperate with that reach.

Mine went straight in the recycling, the other copy was donated to one of our cats who likes shredding. She's had a drat good go at it.

One of the Lib Dem candidates knocked yesterday. She looked quite shamefaced when I told her I was a Labour Party member. How pathetic is that? In my ward a potential UKIP candidate was spotted a week or so ago doorknocking to get nominations although I don't know if they had any success and I've not seen any literature from them.

I will be leafleting the local area this coming week, and probably doing some canvassing too. These local elections are the first time I've been really involved even though I've been a party member for quite a while and it's actually quite exciting despite having only 2 of the 51 Councillors currently. I hope we might be able to double our score at least this time around.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Been doing some door-knocking myself over the past couple of weeks, and encountered the most stereotypical Middle England thumb-man yesterday. He was actually pretty polite, friendly, and interested in the local Labour manifesto I handed him.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Darth Walrus posted:

Been doing some door-knocking myself over the past couple of weeks, and encountered the most stereotypical Middle England thumb-man yesterday. He was actually pretty polite, friendly, and interested in the local Labour manifesto I handed him.

Is this one of those logic questions? All gamons are red faced unfit white men. Not all red faced middle aged unfit men are gamons. Does this guy go well with egg and pineapple?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol all our journalists are going to talk about pelosi meeting CUK as giving them true legitimacy

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2019/apr/14/tired-hungry-shamed-pupil-poverty-stops-learning

:(

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jose posted:

lol all our journalists are going to talk about pelosi meeting CUK as giving them true legitimacy

Do you think anyone outside of politics dorks even knows who nancy pelosi is?

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

OwlFancier posted:

Do you think anyone outside of politics dorks even knows who nancy pelosi is?

Do you think our Journalists care?

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

Nobody outside of politics dorks gives a cocked gently caress about a single one of the members of Change UK, but that's never stopped the media either.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Yeah, seriously
https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1117412952812990466

quote:

One couple, Qasim, 29, from Pakistan, and Debora, 33, from Portugal, were asleep at home when they were raided by four officials in January 2016. “We were questioned separately about our relationship and then Qasim was arrested, taken away and locked up in detention for four months before the Home Office finally accepted that our relationship was genuine,” Debora said.

“I was in a state of shock and trauma all the time I was in detention,” said Qasim. “It was very insulting that the Home Office came inside our home to check that everything was joined.”

Another couple who sought permission to marry were told their relationship would not be investigated, only to have their wedding ceremony interrupted by officials, according to a statement submitted to their lawyers and provided to the Guardian.

The statement said the couple were taken into separate rooms and asked about their sex lives, including details about sexual positions and contraception. The woman was so distressed that partway through the interview she refused to answer any more questions. The Home Office officials then halted the ceremony and declared the marriage to be sham.

The couple, who are still together, were so humiliated that they did not tell their reception guests that the marriage had not been permitted to go ahead, instead continuing with the event and pretending to celebrate.

In another case, a gay couple were invited to a Home Office reporting centre for an interview after they requested permission to enter into a civil partnership. The couple were questioned separately, the British man for 90 minutes and his Thai partner for five hours.

The Home Office asked to inspect the couple’s phones and found an email sent by the Thai man many years before to a former partner, which included a naked photo of himself. This photo was shown to everyone in the interview room, leaving the man feeling humiliated, the couple said.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Lol

https://twitter.com/gross_its_me/status/1117035108832301056?s=19

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Apraxin posted:

Yeah, seriously
So apparently being in a sexless (but not loveless) marriage is a privilege not open to non-Europeans :wtc:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Remember when they were making gay refugees fleeing persecution provide sex tapes to prove their sexuality?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Government is filled entirely with perverts, whodathunk.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I really don't understand why people haven't started rioting. I wonder how bad it has to get, and then I look at the US where the government is enacting a slow-motion genocide against all black people and I realise it probably still has to get a whole lot worse :(

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Genuinely confused by this - what DID the landlord expect? Answers on a postcard

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
My best guess is that the landlord expected the tenant to remain in the house paying rent right up until the buyers move in.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

TACD posted:

I really don't understand why people haven't started rioting. I wonder how bad it has to get, and then I look at the US where the government is enacting a slow-motion genocide against all black people and I realise it probably still has to get a whole lot worse :(

It's so loving depressing.

https://twitter.com/Rachael_Swindon/status/1117433479392788481

e:
https://twitter.com/PeterStefanovi2/status/1117438665502937088

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 14, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Seemingly for them to be so grateful for the landlord graciously providing them a house out of the goodness of their heart, that they would help the landlord to sell it from under them.

https://twitter.com/gross_its_me/status/1117155992196780032

I was so focused on minimising the impact on you that I wanted you to help sell your home entirely for my benefit.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

OwlFancier posted:

TNG is sort of the classic trek, lots of good episodes and absolutely iconic, but not necessarily the best overall.

https://twitter.com/softsynthbear/status/1116843758945878017?s=20

F'real though I think I've liked all of the trek's I've seen. Never been able to get into TOS because it's too cheesy. TNG has some bad episodes but also some of the absolute best ("The inner light" is one of the best videos of all time. TNG had a really strong character roster, especially once they all had some time to settle in (and as long as you ignore Wil Wheaton).

I couldn't get into DS9 all that much but I think maybe if I'd actually watched the series from the start I'd get into it more.

I'm quite enjoying Disco so far but I'm a few episodes behind atm. I think the 2nd series (up to where I've seen, ep5 or 6) has been better now it's had less of the Klingon stuff and is getting a bit more into classic trek territory.

Pablo Bluth posted:

Farscape.
It takes a while to find is feet but it develops in to something brilliant. Unlike most TV sci-fi it really runs with the opportunity to do weird poo poo instead of just actors with funny foreheads.

Oh yeah man Farscape started out pretty dumb but actually got really, really good, and the ending.... drat.

Failed Imagineer posted:

TNG is the obvious place to start. I'm currently making my girlfriend watch through for the first time (only took 9 years but she's loving it) but I highly recommend skipping many episodes - I use both letswatchstartrek.com and a Reddit guide, plus my own episode opinions, to decide which ones to skip. Mostly Llwaxana episodes, anti-Irish racist episodes, Wesley episodes, and the one where Beverly's grandmother bequeaths her a candle containing an ancient sex ghost.

Then do the same with DS9, except you don't have to skip hardly any episodes after S1 (maybe some Vic Fontaine poo poo later on). DS9 is best Trek.

Oh hey can you gimme a link to the reddit guide etc.?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
If we're still doing sci-fi chat, I forgot to mention that of all the great characters in the expanse, Jared Harris steals literally every loving scene he's in and should be in more stuff. :v:

Edit: also yeah, when I recommended Discovery I forgot to say the first season is poo poo lol, just completely excised it from my memory at this point.

Pilchenstein fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 14, 2019

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Yeah, I'm enjoying disco for what it is but it doesn't really feel like star trek though I think the second series is getting better and (unsurprisingly) the episode directed by Frakes was excellent.

I feel like on the whole they've put too much emphasis on the grand plot arc and not enough on the characters (beyond Michael). Some of my favourite bits of TNG for example were the daft scenes where they played poker or chatted in ten forward or had some dumbass farce adventure involving looking for a lost cat or whatever - the little soapy sections that really fleshed out the personalities. I'm nearly two series into disco and I still don't know a thing about 99% of the crew, even the ones the writers desperately want me to care about (tilly, that cyborg woman etc).

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Nuclear Spoon posted:

i can't believe they didn't give them a name like chronolite instead of just saying TIME CRYSTALS I GUESS WHATEVER and also Why Aren't You loving Wearing Gloves You're THe Chief loving Science Officer

They called them time crystals because time crystals are real: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_crystal

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Pilchenstein posted:

If we're still doing sci-fi chat, I forgot to mention that of all the great characters in the expanse, Jared Harris steals literally every loving scene he's in and should be in more stuff. :v:

Yeah he's fantastic. I'm a big fan of Cara Gee as Drummer too.

The only weak link in the cast of the Expanse is Holden, and that's not that big a deal given how much time the other characters get.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Gorn Myson posted:

Yeah he's fantastic. I'm a big fan of Cara Gee as Drummer too.

The only weak link in the cast of the Expanse is Holden, and that's not that big a deal given how much time the other characters get.

Apparently he was quite difficult to cast because they needed someone who could do sex scenes in a harness to simulate zero-g.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

ThomasPaine posted:

Yeah, I'm enjoying disco for what it is but it doesn't really feel like star trek though I think the second series is getting better and (unsurprisingly) the episode directed by Frakes was excellent.

I feel like on the whole they've put too much emphasis on the grand plot arc and not enough on the characters (beyond Michael). Some of my favourite bits of TNG for example were the daft scenes where they played poker or chatted in ten forward or had some dumbass farce adventure involving looking for a lost cat or whatever - the little soapy sections that really fleshed out the personalities. I'm nearly two series into disco and I still don't know a thing about 99% of the crew, even the ones the writers desperately want me to care about (tilly, that cyborg woman etc).

It doesn't feel like old trek but I think that's ok. Old trek died. It died after multiple bad series like Voyager and Enterprise and even worse films. Old trek died hard. People seem to forget that bit. It ran itself into the ground. It wasn't failed. It just died.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Azza Bamboo posted:

My best guess is that the landlord expected the tenant to remain in the house paying rent right up until the buyers move in.

Or they were hoping to sell it as "Tenant in situ, x00 pounds a month income."

When I was buying there were a lot of properties being advertised like that.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

The degree of rage I felt when they didn't just loving beam Airiam out of space and into the brig can't be expressed, such bullshit.

But it was good to see them doing that old-school thing of giving a minor character an episode so we'd 'care' when they kill her.

BSG owns until the last couple of episodes.
SG-1 owns real hard.
Farscape owns.
Lexx makes Farscape look normal and sane, and is good and cool, if my memories of late-night viewing as a drunk teenager serve.
DS9 is probably the best Trek because Dax is insanely hot and Odo owns and Sisko chews the scenary.
The Expanse owns an extreme amount. Amos :swoon: Chrisjen :swoon: Alex :swoon: Bobbie :swoon: Drummer :swoon:
Babylon 5 is the best and greatest though. Now and forever. Crusade got done dirty.
New Voltron on Netflix kind of rules too.

Sorry babes, but I'm too mentally fragile to engage with the government's current and previous atrocities so it's just sci-fi opinions from me today. My opinion: sci-fi is the best genre.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Stargate Universe was ahead of its time.
If it came out now, as a Netflix serires or whatever, it would be a hit.
I miss it.

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.
Property LOLs:
https://twitter.com/rabbitinahat/status/1115361026571161606

Apologies if already posted, but I don’t remember seeing this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Ms Adequate posted:

SG-1 owns real hard.

I knew you were alright :hfive:

I always really liked how, despite the setup being "a bunch of tooled-up army air force mans go on violent wilderness adventures" it managed to seem much less militaristic than TNG.

Probably because two of the main trio were huge nerds and the other one was MacGyver and none of them were particularly professional or deferential to authority