Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'll have to check how I mounted it when I get home, but I have zero issue with the remote. I even bought a little mount so it could sit above or below the TV if needed due to anticipating that, but I never needed to use it in the end.

Never had a piece of tape with mine, unless I simply didn't spot it in the box. Is that a new addition perhaps? I think my Express is the newest-bar-one (2017 model according to my Amazon order page) so might be something they've included since.

I don't think it's new. The first express I got was the bar style one several years ago and it had the tape. You could have just gotten a mis-packed box.

IR remotes will still work with the receiver behind the TV in certain circumstances (usually bright colored walls/limited outdoor light), but you end up needing to replace batteries a lot sooner for them to continue working reliably in my experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It'll probably be due to me just not noticing I expect, I've probably thrown the packaging out now too. A shame, because its probably better than what I used!

And yeah, it's a bedroom with hurricane shutters permanently up, so next to no outside light with light walls. I don't recall having to change the batteries in the last year or so, which means I'll probably have to do it in the next week now.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Welp, the new styled Plex is already on the Apple TV... wasn’t it only in beta like 3 days ago?

I always preferred the ATV version over the others. That side bar takes up faaaaar too much room on this one, even if it is probably better than the old generic version I’ll get used to it, now to spend some time removing the poo poo they spend far too much time on from my home view.

E: at least the side bar is easily swiped away. Preferred it when it was along the top though.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Apr 12, 2019

Violator
May 15, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Welp, the new styled Plex is already on the Apple TV... wasn’t it only in beta like 3 days ago?

I always preferred the ATV version over the others. That side bar takes up faaaaar too much room on this one, even if it is probably better than the old generic version I’ll get used to it, now to spend some time removing the poo poo they spend far too much time on from my home view.

E: at least the side bar is easily swiped away. Preferred it when it was along the top though.

Yeah. I like that they allow you to customize it more so you can hide crap you don’t care about. I also like how there is A LOT more filtering and display options that are more easily accessed. I think it’s an improvement overall at first use.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Is it Plex Pass only or something? My ATV Plex looks like it always has.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I don't have plex pass (although I have had it in the past), does the app page show there's an update that can be downloaded? I know sometimes these things can be slow to roll out for whatever reason.

One thing I haven't checked is if it contains the enhanced video player now, because that would be a big boost.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

OldSenileGuy posted:

Is it Plex Pass only or something? My ATV Plex looks like it always has.

Update it through the app store (if it hasn’t already)

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Every time I wake up my Shield to watch something, the goddamn Google Promotional Apps spotlight thing is on the home screen, and I always remove it only for it to return again later. Does this happen to anyone else?

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

So I have a few movies in my collection that are really quiet. Like I have to turn the TV all the way up and I can still barely hear it. It looks like VirtualDub is the main tool the internet recommends for adjusting volume, so I installed that and the Xvid codec it apparently needs, opened one of my files and increased the volume via the audio menu, but when I go to save it only wants to save in AVI format instead of MP4. Is that okay? Is there a better way to do this?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Organic Lube User posted:

So I have a few movies in my collection that are really quiet. Like I have to turn the TV all the way up and I can still barely hear it. It looks like VirtualDub is the main tool the internet recommends for adjusting volume, so I installed that and the Xvid codec it apparently needs, opened one of my files and increased the volume via the audio menu, but when I go to save it only wants to save in AVI format instead of MP4. Is that okay? Is there a better way to do this?

That is the 2000's method. There are a couple things you can try. I use handbrake and bump the gain. It's not foolproof, but it helps. I also mixdown to stereo and am using normal flatscreen TV speakers that shoot into my wall first. Overall the whole move to 11.12354 ATMOS DOLBY MEGAHD sound has led to a terrifyingly bad mixdown to stereo where you can't hear the audio and doubly so the dialog without blowing out your eardrums when the music or explosions start up.

A snippet from my exported preset json file that makes it Stereo AAC 224kbps +2 gain.

quote:

jq .PresetList[0].AudioList
[
{
"AudioBitrate": 224,
"AudioCompressionLevel": 0,
"AudioEncoder": "av_aac",
"AudioMixdown": "stereo",
"AudioNormalizeMixLevel": false,
"AudioSamplerate": "48",
"AudioTrackQualityEnable": false,
"AudioTrackQuality": -1,
"AudioTrackGainSlider": 2,
"AudioTrackDRCSlider": 0
}
]

You can also use ffmpeg, this example does a "direct stream copy" of the video, which handbrake doesn't have an option for, and re-encodes the first audio track to the same as above but with a volume boost, and copies the first subtitle track: ffmpeg -i infile.mkv -map 0 -c:v copy -c:a:0 aac -b:a:0 224k -ac 2 -filter:a "volume=1.25" -c:s copy outfile.mkv

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Apr 14, 2019

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
If you want to fix the cannot hear dialogue/any other thing happening blows out your eardrums problem turn on dynamic range compression and crank it up till the job is done. I think I run 3.0 on handbrake but I feel like I could go even higher with it.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

wolfbiker posted:

Every time I wake up my Shield to watch something, the goddamn Google Promotional Apps spotlight thing is on the home screen, and I always remove it only for it to return again later. Does this happen to anyone else?

Saw this earlier.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/5/18296639/android-tv-home-screen-ads-google-sony-tv-nvidia-shield-xiaomi-sponsored-channel

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Finally flattening and reinstalling Linux server this weekend. Going to try Debian and Docker.

https://hub.docker.com/r/plexinc/pms-docker/

Hopefully things don't go sideways. We'll see!

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

interesting, thanks. nice of them to include the option to disable them, only for it to not work.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Anyone using XPlay as a Plex client alternative on LG Smart TVs? The official client is awful and nerds over on Reddit recommend XPlay but I wanted to hear some actual anecdotes if anyone has any.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

odiv posted:

Finally flattening and reinstalling Linux server this weekend. Going to try Debian and Docker.

https://hub.docker.com/r/plexinc/pms-docker/

Hopefully things don't go sideways. We'll see!

Any benefits of using that one vs the one by the linuxserver.io guys?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Good question. It's the one I found so I'll make sure to look into both before proceeding.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
If you stick to the linuxserver.io dockers they share the same base so it takes up less space. Not a big deal but it's something to keep in mind.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Speaking of space, Jesus PLEX likes to make a ton of files and folders.

I'm trying to copy over the files to my NAS before I flatten the server and I'm up to 70k folders so far.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

odiv posted:

Speaking of space, Jesus PLEX likes to make a ton of files and folders.

I'm trying to copy over the files to my NAS before I flatten the server and I'm up to 70k folders so far.

The metadata/fast forward frame stuff (I forget what it's called) is absolutely a poo poo show to copy. It's just a million tiny files and folders and it takes forever. You COULD skip all that and let it reprocess, but I've always just copied it over. With the size of my library it would take days/weeks.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Yeah, I don't think I had that fast forward stuff turned on, but it's still a lot.

I think I hosed it up a bit because of no symbolic links on my NAS, so it's making real folders. There's probably a lot of duplication now. I'll have to give it a look.

Maybe I'll just copy the bare minimum and let PLEX recreate the rest instead of dealing with this.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
you could tar up the files then copy the tar file. running tar takes less time than copying a ton of small files and folders, copying a single file is much faster than copying a bunch of files and folders.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Dren posted:

you could tar up the files then copy the tar file. running tar takes less time than copying a ton of small files and folders, copying a single file is much faster than copying a bunch of files and folders.

This saved me when I was transferring my music collection from Google Music to Plex. Brought the transfer time down from three days to one. Used 7Zip to compress the poo poo out of it, and only copy over 1 large file instead of a million little ones.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Yeah or if you are on *nix use gzip instead of 7zip

disney+ is gonna duplicate a lot of my plex use case, wondering how long I’m gonna keep running my plex

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
If you don't have the room to tar your plex directory you can do it with netcat as well - iff on a local network. Over the internet you must use ssh (for authentication and integrity, confidentiality if you need it - you can recompile it with the null cipher if you don't.)

Dest: cd /my/awful/dir; nc - l 0.0.0.0 12345 | tar xf -
Src: cd /my/awful/src ; tar cf - | nc ip.of.dst 12345

Add a pipe to 'pv' if you want stats, and a 'v' to tar if you want a file list to scream by. I wouldn't bother with compression locally unless you have more disk i/o than network and compressible data. Hint your movies and pictures are going to compress poorly and cost a ton of cpu.

Typed this on my phone from memory so syntax and sanity check at your own peril.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Thanks for tips, but I'm not transferring the media, thank God. That's all on my NAS and staying there.

I just decided to put in a new ssd instead, so I'll copy the metadata and settings over from the old drive to that once PLEX container is up. No real hurry on that so I can just copy over as is instead of messing with it.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I'm running into a kinda weird issue. I've got 1 TV show and 1 movie that just can't seem to grab metadata. Plex knows what they are. I've done a "Fix Match" on both. Cleared the agent cache. It just spins and never finds anything.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Irritated Goat posted:

I'm running into a kinda weird issue. I've got 1 TV show and 1 movie that just can't seem to grab metadata. Plex knows what they are. I've done a "Fix Match" on both. Cleared the agent cache. It just spins and never finds anything.

Try renaming the file? IIRC, Plex is picky about the naming and chokes if something is like Movie_1.mkv instead of like Snow.White.mkv.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

BoyBlunder posted:

Try renaming the file? IIRC, Plex is picky about the naming and chokes if something is like Movie_1.mkv instead of like Snow.White.mkv.

Both are named to Plex standards. I even rebooted the server to make sure it wasn't just a weird connection problem.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Irritated Goat posted:

Both are named to Plex standards. I even rebooted the server to make sure it wasn't just a weird connection problem.

can you post the filenames and folder structure you are using?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Irritated Goat posted:

Do the 'Plex Dance' for each of those items.

Cut/paste them outside of your library folders. Have Plex scan your libraries. When Plex can't find those files, empty trash to delete their entries. Then clean bundles. Then add the items back to library folders. Scan libraries. Should scrape just fine then. If not, do the Plex Dance again.

https://forums.plex.tv/t/the-plex-dance/197064

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

teagone posted:

Do the 'Plex Dance' for each of those items.

Cut/paste them outside of your library folders. Have Plex scan your libraries. When Plex can't find those files, empty trash to delete their entries. Then clean bundles. Then add the items back to library folders. Scan libraries. Should scrape just fine then. If not, do the Plex Dance again.

https://forums.plex.tv/t/the-plex-dance/197064

Did it twice. No dice. :(

derk posted:

can you post the filenames and folder structure you are using?

Movies\Annabelle (2014)\Annabelle.mkv

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Irritated Goat posted:

try Annabelle.2014.1080p.BluRay.x264-SPARKS.mkv

?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Irritated Goat posted:

The folder name doesn't really matter. It's the file name. Add the year to the filename — Annabelle (2014).mkv — and see if that helps.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I personally get better results when things are in a well labeled folder rather than a bunch of films in a /Movies/ folder, even with the same names.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I'm pretty OCD about my file naming and folder hierarchy and never had an issue I couldn't fix using the Plex Dance. I also have every file nested inside their own folder for neatness. Everyone should do the folder nesting method imo — https://support.plex.tv/articles/200381023-naming-movie-files/

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
This is silly and probably not the issue but I've had specific seasons scrape and not scrape based on whether the database was working right. TVDB was having problems one day and one specific season of King of the Hill absolutely refused to scrape while all the other ones worked fine. I waited a day and it pulled just fine the next time I refreshed metadata.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Try removing the parentheses from the folder name because as i mentioned up thread that was loving me over after a recent update to either server or player and that was the only thing that fixed it.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Laserface posted:

Try removing the parentheses from the folder name because as i mentioned up thread that was loving me over after a recent update to either server or player and that was the only thing that fixed it.

It would make sense that it's a recent bug. Everything else has been present previous to this. I'll have to test that.

teagone posted:

I'm pretty OCD about my file naming and folder hierarchy and never had an issue I couldn't fix using the Plex Dance. I also have every file nested inside their own folder for neatness. Everyone should do the folder nesting method imo — https://support.plex.tv/articles/200381023-naming-movie-files/

I do the same.

teagone posted:

The folder name doesn't really matter. It's the file name. Add the year to the filename — Annabelle (2014).mkv — and see if that helps.

I'll give that a shot. It might be what the bug is Laserface mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EpicCodeMonkey
Feb 19, 2011
Re: running Plex inside Docker and the metadata crapshow, has anyone tried mounting a loopback file as the metadata directory? I'm wondering if it would have much of a performance benefit on the host. Seems better to have one enormous 10GB file on the physical disk to compress and move, vs the 100 trillion tiny files it would contain.