Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
Even Toulon won't have him, Boudjellal just called him a moron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I've seen a few people calling Folau's possible firing religious persecution.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

bessantj posted:

I've seen a few people calling Folau's possible firing religious persecution.

He's not being fired for his beliefs. He's being fired for being a spectacular douchebag.

Granted, you could make a case that a lot of other rugby players should also be fired under those criteria, I guess.

PS: Freedom of speech is not freedom from consequences of your actions, and in any case any professional sportsman's contract has (or should have) clauses dealing with unprofessional behaviour.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Thel posted:

He's not being fired for his beliefs. He's being fired for being a spectacular douchebag.

Granted, you could make a case that a lot of other rugby players should also be fired under those criteria, I guess.

PS: Freedom of speech is not freedom from consequences of your actions, and in any case any professional sportsman's contract has (or should have) clauses dealing with unprofessional behaviour.

Yeah but there are plenty of people falling over themselves to shout religious persecution at anything these days (and probably days gone by).

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

bessantj posted:

Yeah but there are plenty of people falling over themselves to shout religious persecution at anything these days (and probably days gone by).

Or crying "Free speech" like it's some sort of immunity from getting your dumb rear end fired for being a shitlord.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Whitehouse is being his usual glowing self in the Munster match, not giving a red card for a cheap shoulder to the face because it was only "medium force."

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

goatface posted:

Billy Vunipola has decided he will join him on that hill.

Just saw this on Twitter. Weeewww lol

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

edinburgh about to blow an opportunity to move ahead of treviso in the race for the play-offs.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Chiefs - Blues is a good game

Edit: goddamn. What a try!

slothrop fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Apr 13, 2019

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Leinster Glasgow has been a really good game. Best two teams in the league.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Surprised how handily Glasgow won considering it was on Leinster's home patch.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Score probably doesn't show how close it was up until the 75th minute though George Horne's intercept try in the 83rd minute was great.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/47869324

Billy Vunipola booed when he came off the bench for Sarries today :magical:

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Vaders Jester posted:

Good

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Vaders Jester posted:

and we beat the fuckers too

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Best thing about it is that Bristol played "It's Raining Men" on the stadium PA after the match.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Hey all- does anybody know if espn plus will broadcast the World Cup? I’ve been debating signing up since it means I could watch the union matches live on my fire stick on my tv but if I have to pay separate for World Cup coverage I might just stick with watching them on the computer.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Jonny Gray made 43 tackles, missing none, in the Leinster/Glasgow game, that a huge effort from the man.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

areyoucontagious posted:

Hey all- does anybody know if espn plus will broadcast the World Cup? I’ve been debating signing up since it means I could watch the union matches live on my fire stick on my tv but if I have to pay separate for World Cup coverage I might just stick with watching them on the computer.

Couldn't tell you dude, might be worth looking to see if the BBC are broadcasting in your area?

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

bessantj posted:

Jonny Gray made 43 tackles, missing none, in the Leinster/Glasgow game, that a huge effort from the man.

He's bonkers. A rest and a bit of a kick up the arse by being dropped to the bench in the 6N has done wonders for him the last few weeks.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Vaders Jester posted:

He's bonkers. A rest and a bit of a kick up the arse by being dropped to the bench in the 6N has done wonders for him the last few weeks.

No doubt helped by Leinster's tight high phase play. But that is a monster shift no matter how you look at it. If he keeps it up he'll catch the eye of French teams.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Vaders Jester posted:

Couldn't tell you dude, might be worth looking to see if the BBC are broadcasting in your area?

RWC is on ITV, not BBC.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

HappyCamperGL posted:

RWC is on ITV, not BBC.

Christ... my brain must have blanked that.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Vaders Jester posted:

Yeah, ITV was what I was thinking. It’s what I get for being a dirty American.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Vaders Jester posted:

Christ... my brain must have blanked that.

HOW COULD YOU FORGET ABOUT BRAVE ENGLAND AT A TIME LIKE THIS, THE RUGBY WORLD CUP, THE TIME WHEN WE MUST ALL COME TOGETHER AND BELIEVE IN OUR BRAVE, ENGLISH UNDERDOGS!! GOD BLESS THEM AND MAY GOD SAVE THE QUEEN. WE'LL BE RIGHT BACK AFTER THESE ADVERTS.

CMON IN-GER-LAAAAAND.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Nasty tackle by Joe Tekori, got him a yellow.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Tyma posted:

HOW COULD YOU FORGET ABOUT BRAVE ENGLAND AT A TIME LIKE THIS, THE RUGBY WORLD CUP, THE TIME WHEN WE MUST ALL COME TOGETHER AND BELIEVE IN OUR BRAVE, ENGLISH UNDERDOGS!! GOD BLESS THEM AND MAY GOD SAVE THE QUEEN. WE'LL BE RIGHT BACK AFTER THESE ADVERTS.

CMON IN-GER-LAAAAAND.

gently caress, not the adverts! That means we have to listen to Paloma Faith butcher World In Union, like an asthmatic caught in a dry ice machine.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They'll probably have someone else butchering it this time.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

At least we'll get to see Woodward's face when England fail to make it out of the group again.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

bessantj posted:

At least we'll get to see Woodward's face when England fail to make it out of the group again.

:smugmrgw: This?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Something like that only it looks like he's making GBS threads himself more.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Looks like the CAS games are beginning.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

So can we expect Vunipola to be sacked/removed or is English rugby going to ignore that he's a clear oval office?

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Communist Bear posted:

So can we expect Vunipola to be sacked/removed or is English rugby going to ignore that he's a clear oval office?

If I was a subscriber to BT Sport I'd be cancelling now. The shite Austin Healy went on about him, tantamount to support and commiserations for his tough week. An absolute disgrace from a professional broadcaster who'd you'd hope would have the sense to realise they want and need a diverse audience.

I was fuming watching it. It'd have sickened me if I wasn't already a few stomach settlers deep.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Communist Bear posted:

It's a first offence though? So probably just a warning.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He's had "the chat" from his club and the england set-up. I think they're probably going to leave it at that unless he does it again.

If he does... eh, depends how badly the team is doing.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Communist Bear posted:

Despite winning, Saracens had an absolute NIGHTMARE of a day, and there's no way English rugby can ignore it, because it's incredibly visible.

* Vunipola was boo'd every time he had the ball.

* At one point, someone ran onto the pitch, for the sole purpose of confronting Vunipola, and actually managed to get face to face with him, before security intervened.

* Saracens sold 15,000 tickets, which is less than 50% of the stadium capacity, for a European semi-final. 3,000 ticket holders didn't attend the game, and Munster's (away) supporters outnumbered Saracens (home) supporters by a ratio of more than 2 to 1.

* After the match, Vunipola was given a post-match interview, and thus a chance to apologize. His only response was to insist that "I'm allowed to believe in what I believe in", and to deflect the question.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
It's pretty baffling to me the level of surprise that religious people believe in nasty intolerant poo poo, I mean it's all right there in the books they're always banging on about how do people not know this about them by now?

edit: probably should qualify that with a 'some/most' religous people.

Smorgasbord fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Apr 21, 2019

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
The whole Church of England is based around studiously ignoring anything controversial in the Bible and trying to persuade people to tolerate each other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Unless you're in Northern Ireland, where things tend to go a bit beyond having a slice of cake with your cup of tea.