Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Settle down, it was a joke for Codezombie's benefit not a burn on you dumbass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Seems like he missed the punchline then.

Dirt rally 2 already has dlc cars and dlc tracks, being released on a set schedule announced before release. Why can't do that for f1?

Alternatively, just the option to import a last year's campaign into the next year would do pretty good. They change the single player campaign mechanics every year, but they could fudge the numbers and make it work.

Madden makes a big deal out of picking a team and playing games in real time with the season. I think a mode like that for f1 just makes sense. Call me crazy.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Zaphod42 posted:

Dirt rally 2 already has dlc cars and dlc tracks, being released on a set schedule announced before release. Why can't do that for f1?

Dirt Rally isn't a yearly series. I'd assume as soon as F1 2019 is out the door most of the team is already moving on to F1 2020 because yearly franchises are a loving nightmare.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Yeah, and I guess economics wise you want to have new boxed releases instead of like a live service so you can charge $60 every year.

Idk, feels like dirt rally 2 changed a lot vs rally 1 or dirt 4, where f1 games just do a few tweaks. 2016 was a big graphical update, but 2017 and 2018 felt pretty similar? Course, its hard to know exactly how much the physics engine is changing in subtle ways.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Kodo posted:

The Manta 400 and M1 pro car are available in DR2. Did a quick run in the 400 - it definitely feels easier to drive than in DR1, but doesn't have that same pace it seems. Still fun to drive

I tried the BMW and spun it slightly less than the Stratos, but my true love is the Manta anyway.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
"I'm a developer" is the "I'm a mother" of the nerd world.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
zaphod stop posting

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Firewalls cause bluescreen

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

I was specifically referring to someone saying "well he's a developer and these statements would be unacceptable to one of his own ilk"

I wouldn't have brought it up otherwise. Stop playing smug over a strawman. Can we move on already?

You guys are the worst sometimes.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

OhsH posted:

zaphod stop posting

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

jesus christ

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

It's the other guy's fault

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
has anyone said shut the gently caress up zaphod yet

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

fucken mute them and move on. all of you responding is ruining my immunity.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I'm a developer, and so is my wife

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Developers, developers, developers, developers

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Don't say that in front of a mirror or the Codezombie will getcha.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Get this: https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/jaguar-d-type-1955-long-nose.26099/
Get this: https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/deutschlandring.25977/

Bliss.

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Good god I disappear for a couple of days to give a lecture to a buncha students and this thread implodes, god how I love this place.

Who's yer mammy. :grin:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

That got creepy fast.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

yeah....

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

*shuffles feet*

Aaaaanyways, the second half of my Obutto comes in today! I won't be putting it together though because I'm engaged to drive a real car :getin:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

KillHour posted:

*shuffles feet*

Aaaaanyways, the second half of my Obutto comes in today! I won't be putting it together though because I'm engaged to drive a real car :getin:

The Obutto is dope and you'll be very happy.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Shine posted:

The Obutto is dope and you'll be very happy.

What? Oh yeah, that thing. I've been... distracted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K42NqqOsxwk

I will say the box is extremely heavy though.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

:cheers: Nice car, aMAzing track! It's right up there with Feldbergring and Thomson Road by the same guy. My favourite cars on the track so far are the 90s DTM cars; you can really throw them into most corners.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone used TrackIR or something similar for racing? All of the sims I play are supported and it seems like a nice little improvement without going full VR.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is there really a place for trackir in a world where cheap vr headsets exist?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is there really a place for trackir in a world where cheap vr headsets exist?

Yes. The resolution isn't nearly there yet, especially in the cheap segment.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The $50 vr headset that goes on sale at Walmart has a higher res than the Oculus Rift though

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It will be pretty soon. WMR headsets are pretty much only good for sims and things where the controllers are right in front of you. HP is coming out with the Reverb pretty soon which will have 2K per eye resolution.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Tippis posted:

Yes. The resolution isn't nearly there yet, especially in the cheap segment.

Counter-opinion: I tried track-ir for about a week and then I got VR and haven’t even thought about track-ir since. WMR or better is just fine for VR sim racing. People say “I can’t see the number on the car in front of me” which is bullshit because I can just fine, and even if I couldn’t, why does that particular metric matter?

Someone that says VR isn’t ready for sim racing is someone that hasn’t tried it in the last two years. The resolution vs immersion trade off is definitely worth it, and most games have optimized their performance and graphics for VR now and everything looks “fine”

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I guess look at it this way. People move from trackir to VR, but not the other way

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I guess look at it this way. People move from trackir to VR, but not the other way

I moved back to TrackIR after VR for all but the simplest sim stuff. So close enough.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

To answer the question: yes, TrackIR is good in racing sims. Being able to look around corners is more helpful than you might think, until one day you play without TIR and realize how much it messes you up when your view is glued ahead. At least, that was my experience when I played without my TIR one day. Though some sims, like pCars, have automatic camera panning in corners to mitigate that.

Racing sims are incredible in VR (weight transfers and traction loss are so much easier to "feel" in 3D), but the high requirements for VR resolutions means things probably won't be as pretty as on your monitor. PCars looks amazing on my monitor, but looks like an older console game at VR settings that give me a good framerate, which is a bummer.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The $50 vr headset that goes on sale at Walmart has a higher res than the Oculus Rift though

It was fun for $50, but the 60hz frame rate gives me a headache and the tracking on it is really, really glitchy.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

TremorX posted:

60hz frame rate

yowza, that's not good enough no

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

THIS IS HOW YOUR CANDIDATE EATS CINNAMON ROLLS, KODO
I kind of wish DR2 had tiered rankings rather than ranking you against everyone. I don't find it so helpful to be compared to WR times than to those in my 'class'. It's more fun to try and top those lower divisions than it is to constantly be compared to the CrazyNevada's of the game.

Also, I appreciate the new more realistic M1 pro sounds in the new patch. The audio is incredible throughout this entire game.

Kodo fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Apr 17, 2019

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Man, driving the Stratos through dark, rainy Finland in VR is goddamn nightmare fuel. What an insane rush.

SiCk
Jul 4, 2003

My name's SiCk, and I'm the Biggest Idiot Ever!

Shine posted:

Man, driving the Stratos through dark, rainy Finland in VR is goddamn nightmare fuel. What an insane rush.

DR is really the only driving game in VR that has ever made me feel something physically, one of the wales stages would make my stomach sink every time I went over a certain hill, it was amazing. Can't wait for some VR action with DR2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

So.... anybody's load times go down toilet lately? Was playing last night, selected another event to do, and it was just eternal load screen.

Same thing now - start game, get rewards, select event, and it's still doing the pre-event load screen for like 5 minutes now. Music is going and it's still responsive.

e: eh, verified Steam files and 3 were toast. Let's see if that fixes it.

e2: Yep, that fixed it. Still not any faster on the stages though :(

a mysterious cloak fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 19, 2019