Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Is the best the thread has been in months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
The Miraikan in Odaiba is cool, say hi to the creepy robots from me

If you feel like getting out of Tokyo for a while, Mt. Takao and Kamakura are good day trips. Mt. Takao involves walking uphill on paved paths, and Kamakura's (optional) pilgrim trail features a lot of rocky and uneven terrain, but there's a lot of natural beauty in those areas and the Great Buddha statue in Kamakura's Kōtoku-in Temple is one of the most iconic structures in all of Japan.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Pollyanna posted:

Actually genuinely ordered a meal entirely in Japanese for the first time. I forgot how to ask for the check though so I got the poor lady in trouble when the old dude was like “yo” and pointed at us. I will never forget again :negative:

日本語上手ですね

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

caberham posted:

ntan please post some nice pictures of onsens or something

lol

Kumano - lots of people have visited here so nothing special
https://imgur.com/a/gxMnlA0

Minshuku in Toba, Mie
https://imgur.com/a/MjRnwGp

Kurashiki - It's actually worth visiting currently since a lot of the shops are a bit more high scale than standard tourist destinations, although with more people coming it's hard to say what it will be like in the future.
https://imgur.com/a/VALwYsq

Peanut knows exactly where this is/where it was taken from
https://imgur.com/a/dqKGnSI

Kintaikyo in Yamaguchi
https://imgur.com/a/40SZsYY

Karato Market in Shimonoseki at night
https://imgur.com/a/r8xo2Gk

Hagi in Yamaguchi - excuse the bad photo quality. This was really nice since basically there were no foreign tourists besides us.
https://imgur.com/a/PSXhwup

Tsunoshima in Yamaguchi - one of my favorite pics this trip
https://imgur.com/a/RKOAVKZ

Onsen/Sento in Yunotsu, Shimane
https://imgur.com/a/O07hypu

Iwami Ginzan
https://imgur.com/a/fjteHRL

Izumo Taisha
https://imgur.com/a/jCUyGCJ

Sorry for the lack of onsen pics - there were too many people in this time

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sumimasen anime wa doko desu ka??

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Is the paid tour of the imperial palace cool?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

ntan1 posted:

Peanut knows exactly where this is/where it was taken from
https://imgur.com/a/dqKGnSI

The michi-no-eki on Imabari Oshima :3

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Bloodnose posted:

I assume the Japanese authorities eventually notified the US embassy and he got consular access. I wouldn't worry. This isn't China

Heh, that’s why I was there! :911:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Sumimasen anime wa doko desu ka??

I have something for this

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Stringent posted:

Well, what do you think so far? How's Japan?

You know, Tokyo isn’t so bad so far. I was expecting more difficulty, but people here seem to be used to dealing with idiots like me. The biggest issues I’ve had so far are not knowing where to get toiletries and being too shy to speak, but it’s still early.

Dad is loving fascinated, but he does more stuff that could piss people off (“we’re sharing a bowl”, “where’s the check”, “why can’t I fit three people in this hotel room”, etc.). Mom’s gonna suffer. Sorry mom.

I still don’t know if I should or should not try to speak Japanese. I kinda get the sense that I shouldn’t from you guys, but not everyone speaks English so I mean, sorry :shrug:

caberham posted:

This is too painful

Man f u how else am I gonna get food :mad:

ntan1 posted:

日本語上手ですね

poo poo no, but I get that it’s a social performance thing to say that. We do the same in English for other things.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

You know, Tokyo isn’t so bad so far. I was expecting more difficulty, but people here seem to be used to dealing with idiots like me. The biggest issues I’ve had so far are not knowing where to get toiletries and being too shy to speak, but it’s still early.

Dad is loving fascinated, but he does more stuff that could piss people off (“we’re sharing a bowl”, “where’s the check”, “why can’t I fit three people in this hotel room”, etc.). Mom’s gonna suffer. Sorry mom.

I still don’t know if I should or should not try to speak Japanese. I kinda get the sense that I shouldn’t from you guys, but not everyone speaks English so I mean, sorry :shrug:

Man f u how else am I gonna get food :mad:

poo poo no, but I get that it’s a social performance thing to say that. We do the same in English for other things.

Nothing wrong with speaking it if you know some and many people will appreciate it as long as you're able to be understood, but read the situation and if they literally don't understand you then English may be called for.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I made a Tokyo itinerary for someone else, I just PMed you pollyanna. Maybe it would help?

caberham fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 15, 2019

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

hot jeebus just chill and have fun

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Business of Ferrets posted:

Heh, that’s why I was there! :911:

I forgot I'd seen you in the FSO thread. Sorry you had to deal with that on leave.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Pollyanna posted:

Dad is loving fascinated, but he does more stuff that could piss people off (“we’re sharing a bowl”, “where’s the check”, “why can’t I fit three people in this hotel room”, etc.).
what kind of restaurant are you going to that doesn’t just bring the check to the table with the food?

and yeah sharing’s a no-no unless it’s something like nabe that’s explicitly all about sharing. order at least one thing per person. a lot of more touristy places are so fed up with gaijin trying to cheap out that they have signs posted about this

please tell me at least he isn’t trying to tip :ohdear:

Pollyanna posted:

No you should definitely do it. Even if it’s just hellos and thank yous, people will genuinely appreciate the effort.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Many places just hold the bill at the register for you, especially smaller places that do things manually.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Soricidus posted:

what kind of restaurant are you going to that doesn’t just bring the check to the table with the food?

Haha what
Like anywhere that isn't Saizeriya or mall tonkatsu does this

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Pollyanna posted:

Goddammit, apparently you need a mailing address in the country or something for the SoftBank portable routers. What the gently caress.

https://www.japanwifibuddy.com

I've used this outfit for years. I pick up the routers at the airport right after I land.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

お勘定お願いしますmuffuga

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

https://www.japanwifibuddy.com

I've used this outfit for years. I pick up the routers at the airport right after I land.

I figured out that I could just put your hotel’s address and pick it up anyway. :shrug:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Pollyanna posted:

お勘定お願いしますmuffuga

I figured out that I could just put your hotel’s address and pick it up anyway. :shrug:

Groovy. Sorry I didn't notice that you were basically almost on the airplane when you posted beforehand.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

NPNP, I got options for next time :)

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I met Tom Green in Shibuya out of all places. Dude's not really been om my radar since Freddie Got Fingered, but my inner 12 year old cant stop being blown away by this.

Dude looks like a dime store Slavoj Zizek too..

Archer666 fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Apr 15, 2019

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Archer666 posted:

I met Tom Green in Shibuya out of all places. Dude's not really been om my radar since Freddie Got Fingered, but my inner 12 year old cant stop being blown away by this.

Dude looks like a dime store Slavoj Zizek too..

He's doing a comedy show this weekend I think, been seeing ads for it. You could probably still get tix

Edit: actually today at 20:00 at Good Heavens pub

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh my god.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

LimburgLimbo posted:

He's doing a comedy show this weekend I think, been seeing ads for it. You could probably still get tix

Edit: actually today at 20:00 at Good Heavens pub

Not sure my nostalgia can overcome the 8000 yen ticket cost... and I dont think i can appreciate his dumb humor the way i could when I was 12

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Ah, didn’t actually go so far as to see the prices. 8k is rather steep considering we had Dave Chapelle for 10k the other day haha

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Why is booze so cheap here? Don Quijote has Bombay Sapphire for 15 bucks.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Why is booze so cheap here? Don Quijote has Bombay Sapphire for 15 bucks.

That’s a Don Quijote specialty, it’s a little more like American prices in most other shops.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Taxes; the US taxes liquor heavily and beer lightly, where it’s the opposite here.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Fair point on Don Quijote being cheap. Didn’t know about the taxes though, weird.

If you’re in the Ameyoko area, Tendon Tenya (I think that’s its name) is pretty choice. Chose it for dinner on instinct and 👍👍👍 tendon good.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Not to poo poo on your parade or anything (there's plenty of other posters here to do that), but tenya is a chain you can find all over.

It's a hella good chain though, I eat at one nearly every other day whenever I'm in Japan because tendon is the food of the gods.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
It's harder to find a bad meal than a good one in Tokyo, so yeah, go nuts trying places.

Kulex
Apr 4, 2007

A shpectre is haunting Europe - the shpectre of Shlavoj Zizek... and so on and so on.
Tell me if this 9 stop day in Tokyo is too much. Ignore that it's set to walking; there will trains and buses getting me around. I'm just trying to figure out a route that doesn't double back on itself.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

QuasiQuack posted:

Not to poo poo on your parade or anything (there's plenty of other posters here to do that), but tenya is a chain you can find all over.

It's a hella good chain though, I eat at one nearly every other day whenever I'm in Japan because tendon is the food of the gods.

:downs: I can’t tell what’s a chain and what’s not.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Kulex posted:

Tell me if this 9 stop day in Tokyo is too much. Ignore that it's set to walking; there will trains and buses getting me around. I'm just trying to figure out a route that doesn't double back on itself.

Straight back down without heading out to Ikebukuro/Shinjuku/Shibuya at all? I would skip everything after the Hamarikyu garden and set that as the end instead and swing wider west earlier. That part of the waterfront isn't very touristy for various reasons, except for Odaiba which is very touristy. Where will you be staying?

Kulex
Apr 4, 2007

A shpectre is haunting Europe - the shpectre of Shlavoj Zizek... and so on and so on.

harperdc posted:

Straight back down without heading out to Ikebukuro/Shinjuku/Shibuya at all? I would skip everything after the Hamarikyu garden and set that as the end instead and swing wider west earlier. That part of the waterfront isn't very touristy for various reasons, except for Odaiba which is very touristy. Where will you be staying?

Ikebukuro/Shinjuku/Shibuya will be covered on other days. We'll most likely be staying in Shin Okubo.

I'm trying to figure out a day to catch all the touristy stuff and shrines & temples in the east.

Odaiba at the end there is for the purpose of "oh, we get to ride a boat/ferry, see a big gundam and grab a bite to eat and rest."

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

When will this trip be happening? Some seasons are better for that much walking than others. (Summertime you may want to make some stops to break up the heat).

There are better river cruises or night cruises if you want to work a boat trip into it. There's some that go down the rivers and canals in better spots in the city, or you could get one of the Kawasaki industrial waterfront night tours if you want to go that direction.

Kulex
Apr 4, 2007

harperdc posted:

When will this trip be happening? Some seasons are better for that much walking than others. (Summertime you may want to make some stops to break up the heat).

There are better river cruises or night cruises if you want to work a boat trip into it. There's some that go down the rivers and canals in better spots in the city, or you could get one of the Kawasaki industrial waterfront night tours if you want to go that direction.

It'll be August (I'm going to die from the heat and humidity).

I'll check out some of the river cruises. TBH it's not a key thing it's just to break up the journeying of walking/bus/train. I could also probably cut out one or two things for more rest stops.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Kulex posted:

It'll be August (I'm going to die from the heat and humidity).

I'll check out some of the river cruises. TBH it's not a key thing it's just to break up the journeying of walking/bus/train. I could also probably cut out one or two things for more rest stops.

The public transportation option on Google Maps works quite well for Tokyo, you should use it if you're not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Stringent posted:

It's harder to find a bad meal than a good one in Tokyo, so yeah, go nuts trying places.

This is what I like to hear! Fuuuuuuck I can't wait to hopefully put on like five kilos in ten days. :hampants:

Here's a random question: do people run, like for fitness, around Tokyo? Basically, is there running etiquette? I'm going to start running soon, and gently caress it'd be pretty cool to put in some miles on a different continent.