Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

What’s to debate?

I mean that seriously. Does anyone (who gives a gently caress about the series) actually consider his turboshits cannon?

This is the internet, of course some do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Schadenboner posted:

What’s to debate?

I mean that seriously. Does anyone (who gives a gently caress about the series) actually consider his turboshits cannon?

i know a girl who loves dune, including all the brian/kja stuff and she refuses to consider them as non canon nor the validity of any claims that those books are nothing at all like frank's or that his failson had no business writing them

sea worms and ultra spice and paolo are all as canon as the god emperor himself

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

MikeJF posted:

This is the internet, of course some do.

They ought to be loving slain.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

basic hitler posted:

i know a girl who loves dune, including all the brian/kja stuff and she refuses to consider them as non canon nor the validity of any claims that those books are nothing at all like frank's or that his failson had no business writing them

Do you know what happened to her to make her so fundamentally broken?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Not even the tribe wants their water.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

phasmid posted:

They ought to be loving slain.

The slow knife penetrates the shield

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
Apparently the Dune board game is coming back after being out of print in english since the 80s.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/05/dune-spice-and-sandworms-power-one-of-the-great-lost-board-games/

Now to con find some friends to play it.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Schadenboner posted:

turboshit cannon

Mods. Mods! Don't make me kanly you.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Joe Chill posted:

Apparently the Dune board game is coming back after being out of print in english since the 80s.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/05/dune-spice-and-sandworms-power-one-of-the-great-lost-board-games/

Now to con find some friends to play it.
Oh, were you talking about this - lots of sites reported it as a Avalon Hill Dune reprint, but it should come with a big :siren: because of one paragraph from the original announcement:

"Gale Force 9 Dune Announcement [PDF posted:

"]
The agreement calls for Gale Force Nine to produce original tabletop games drawing from the full scope of the Dune franchise—spanning the many publications from Frank Herbert, Brian Herbert, and Kevin J. Anderson—along with multiple direct tie-ins with Legendary’s highly-anticipated film from director Denis Villeneuve.

Which makes me nervous for the movie too, because those shitheels poison everything they touch.
Also, it's Gale Force 9 in combination with Modiphius and both are essentially an unknown to me.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 15, 2019

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
Yeah that's the one. Sorry, I linked to the wrong article. And yikes, that sounds awful. I'm hoping for just a remake of the original, not with all the @duneauthor poo poo.

EDIT: Fingers crossed:
https://twitter.com/pgocosmic/status/1113949698426011649

Joe Chill fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Apr 15, 2019

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

basic hitler posted:

My dad is also really bad about this. He loves Dune and just likes that there are more books and doesn't really distinguish between the two. He's also 65 and a pretty uncritical reader. His other books are mostly crap mil-fiction.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

basic hitler posted:

karma is fundamentally a problem. ranking popularity stuff first over linear presentation means that you can never have meaningful conversations about much of anything.

i like reddit for some stuff, but definitely not for discussion. i dont go to the dune subreddit but i can't imagine i'd feel any different about this if i did.
In general people are coming around to the wisdom of Lowtax, that all these measures to boost engagement rather than quality are in fact bullshit

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

muscles like this! posted:

My dad is also really bad about this. He loves Dune and just likes that there are more books and doesn't really distinguish between the two. He's also 65 and a pretty uncritical reader. His other books are mostly crap mil-fiction.

Tell him that the sleeper has awakened, then burn his non-canon Dune texts that is: anything but the Original Six, the Smithee-cut of Dune ‘84, and the Dune Encyclopedia (the authorized encyclopedia of Frank Herbert’s Dune).

For the father: nothing.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

Pretty sure that blind people are meant to be fed to the worms.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

They are Iduali from Sietch Jacurutu. Their water shall be shed upon the sands.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Apr 15, 2019

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

oh man I just realized I have 4 of the prequel books in HARDCOVER at my parents house
I need to re-read them awful shits for fun.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Wow, so true Ian McEwan...somebody get this to @dunauthor, maybe this is an area he can explore in his amazing series, Dune

https://twitter.com/BDSixsmith/status/1117517846085537793

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Who the gently caress is Ian McEwan?
It's that he outed himself as being someone to not listen to at all, on any matter, but still.

I mean jesus christ, like the earliest Sci-fi stories are about blurring the line between man and machine

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Johnny Aztec posted:

I mean jesus christ, like the earliest Sci-fi stories are about blurring the line between man and machine

Hell, the most important founding story of science fiction as a genre is widely held to be Frankenstein.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
That guy's twitter takes 24 hours off his sex life every time he posts.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Johnny Aztec posted:

Who the gently caress is Ian McEwan?
It's that he outed himself as being someone to not listen to at all, on any matter, but still.

He is an extremely famous novelist

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Schadenboner posted:

Tell him that the sleeper has awakened, then burn his non-canon Dune texts that is: anything but the Original Six, the Smithee-cut of Dune ‘84, and the Dune Encyclopedia (the authorized encyclopedia of Frank Herbert’s Dune).

For the father: nothing.

He's had the Encyclopedia since at least the 80s.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Hackfrauds of Dune by Billy "Black Man" Jeeling.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Wow, so true Ian McEwan...somebody get this to @dunauthor, maybe this is an area he can explore in his amazing series, Dune

https://twitter.com/BDSixsmith/status/1117517846085537793

Literary types talking about genre fiction is usually a little more insightful than genre types talking about literature, but not by much.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Y'all heard about that guy who left his wife for Natalie Portman? Literary dudes can be dumb as all gently caress.

Someone lock this guy in a dungeon with the complete Lem Bibliography until he repents, tia

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
I don't know if the guy who wrote "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close" counts as literary, does he? Still really funny though.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I consider him an ideal representative of the type. At the very least he perfectly matches my prejudices, and people actually gave a poo poo about him.

E: If Dave Eggers counts then Foer (even his name sucks) has gotta

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I miss Iain M Banks and Iain Banks. :smith:

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

sebmojo posted:

He is an extremely famous novelist

Yeah well, I've never heard of him.

Know who else is famous? Kim Kardashian.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Johnny Aztec posted:

Yeah well, I've never heard of him.

Know who else is famous? Kim Kardashian.

I don't understand what you mean.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

MikeJF posted:

Both excellent writers of the Iain Banks school.

Cause to be honest, it was hard to tell which of his books weren't set in the Culture, even contemporary ones. That's part of why the Culture is such a cool idea. Sometimes I picture Horza Gobuchul fighting religious fanatics on a frozen moon at the same time that mentally ill kid is building death totems on the skerries of Scotland.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

sebmojo posted:

I don't understand what you mean.

Wheels within wheels, my friend. Wheeels within wheeeels

I have no idea what im going on about,sorry

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Johnny Aztec posted:

Wheels within wheels, my friend. Wheeels within wheeeels

I have no idea what im going on about,sorry

:hmmyes:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

He's had the Encyclopedia since at least the 80s.

Then he'll understand why you're doing this, and why it needed to be done.

:(

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

MikeJF posted:

Also Gene Wolfe just died :smith:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Doc Hawkins posted:

Y'all heard about that guy who left his wife for Natalie Portman? Literary dudes can be dumb as all gently caress.

Are you calling ballet dancer Benjamin Millepied a literary dude? Or did someone else also leave someone for Natalie Portman?

Mizaq
Sep 12, 2001

Monkey Magic
Toilet Rascal

kiimo posted:

Are you calling ballet dancer Benjamin Millepied a literary dude? Or did someone else also leave someone for Natalie Portman?

No, (I had to google it), some author left his wife for Portman but did the deed before talking to Portman about it. Total creepy nerd lol. http://www.pajiba.com/celebrities_a...e-no-thanks.php

in other news:

RIP Gene Wolfe

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Mizaq posted:

No, (I had to google it), some author left his wife for Portman but did the deed before talking to Portman about it. Total creepy nerd lol. http://www.pajiba.com/celebrities_a...e-no-thanks.php

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

MikeJF posted:

Hell, the most important founding story of science fiction as a genre is widely held to be Frankenstein.

The word "robot" was coined by the 1921 Czech play "Rossum's Universal Robots," and even THEN the plot was "we made mass-produced artificial slave laborers, wait oh gently caress they have feelings
and want rights and are rebelling."

Related: https://www.theonion.com/honestly-i-always-saw-edward-scissorhands-as-the-villa-1819584925

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Sorry but this is really funny.