Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Akira is great because he's exactly as stupid as the protagonists. In order to enact his plans to kill Joseph so they can never find him, he appears in person where everyone has grouped together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

A fair point. I just wish he had a bit more presence than looming menacingly in his pajamas for most of the arc.

It still boggles my mind that his reason for killing Okuyasu's brother was to steal the Stand Arrow in order to shoot two rats before putting it into his room and never using it again. :psyduck:

He's an entertaining minor villain, though.

After getting shot at with flesh-melting rat bullets, Akira probably was too scared to use the arrow again.

Pyramid schema
Aug 14, 2017

I'm in love with this face and I've given up trying to figure out why.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Is it just me or does everyones hair make progressively less and less sense as this series goes on?

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Expect My Mom posted:

I like DIO as an evolution of Dio and what his new goals and priorities are. He's finally awoken and back on land and immediately fucks off to the desert to get away from the ocean, and this starts his conversations with Enya and wish to conquer fear itself. Being trapped for a century truly did affect him and The World really is a blessing to him. With this, in his mind, rightful union of himself and the one person he cared about in the world, DIO is free to seek this dream of true inner peace, one that The World allows him to have. The chapter titles of DIO's World are not only referring to the Stand, but the world of stopped time where he's completely safe. DIO also might see himself as a savior, he see him preying off the fear of Kakyoin and Polnareff's hearts to get them with the fleshbud so they too can quiet any fear in their hearts, just artificially.

I agree that DIO doesn't really do much in Part 3, but I think his change is more interesting than some give credit for, I couldn't write even a basic post like that about any of the Pillar Men

Yeah, I really enjoy the transition from Dio to DIO because we really do know why he's like that if we paid attention. That speech he gives to Polnareff on the stairs really does say it all about him, even if it's possible he's just bullshitting. He can't seem to fathom that you don't need to conquer fear completely in order to rise above it, which is why he loses his loving mind the more he fights Jotaro. It's really kind of sad that he tries to go about finding inner peace in completely the wrong way, but it's interesting (to me, anyway) that he's such a brain genius but seems to lack a lot of basic common sense. He went through all of that growth and change and gained ultimate power but learned nothing when it came down to it, which is basically the reverse meaning of The World card, funny enough.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

animatorZed posted:

Why couldn't his instructions have been: "leave Trish in the empty room and then leave"

Also, I know I read all of this part ages ago, but I didn't even remember Doppio existed.
Actually, when the anime started I think the only things I remembered were narancia's plane, and the gimmick of an exceptionally bizarre stand fight later on.

Aside from concern for my long term memory it's fun for everything to basically be new at least.

Same. I binged the whole manga in a few days and now 2 years later I couldn't remember any of the stands besides Aerosmith, Crimson and Mr. Freeze

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

overmind2000 posted:

Akira works as a villain because he's what someone with a very powerful Stand would do if they had no direction or ambition in life other than to gently caress around with their newfound power. He's refreshingly small-time as befitting someone from a town like Morioh.

He particularly works as a lead in to someone like Kira, the son of a noble family driven by dark and unspeakable desires that he barely has control over.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

I drew a rude bird.

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/1117563423448084481

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
Pet Shop was hardcore and could dismantle half the Buciaratti Crew

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Mr. Lobe posted:

Is it just me or does everyones hair make progressively less and less sense as this series goes on?

Nah, no one's hair makes less sense than Jotaro's.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It's part hat for godsakes.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

overmind2000 posted:

Akira works as a villain because he's what someone with a very powerful Stand would do if they had no direction or ambition in life other than to gently caress around with their newfound power. He's refreshingly small-time as befitting someone from a town like Morioh.

That's why I like part 4 so much. In part 3, stands are really just a means to an end. The same basic plot could have been executed through other methods, like Hamon or poker. But in part 4, stands act as a catalyst to drive the conflict forward. None of the events of part 4 would have happened if stands weren't a thing that anyone could potentially have.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

somepartsareme posted:

He has a labeled photograph of dio in his wallet

who doesn't

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

RatHat posted:

Nah, no one's hair makes less sense than Jotaro's.

I love that David was brave enough to essentially say "we don't loving know what's going on back there either" by the time part 4 came around, and his hat was no longer the same color as his hair, and just did what they could.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
jotaro's original hat is one that he's had as a kid, he's wearing it when he's a smiley happy normal sized kid in the photos at the beginning of part 3, so the idea is that when the joestar genes kicked in and he became a giant, his big ham hock head blew the back of the hat out but he still wears it

he does it to the rest of the hats because it's his Thing now

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I'm now caught up with anime jojo except for the most recent crunchyroll episode because I'm not actually a subscriber.
I have to say I'm really enjoying Golden Wind the most of the entire series.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
That was a good rear end episode

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Half of Dracula posted:

Pet Shop was hardcore and could dismantle half the Buciaratti Crew

Most of the stands we've seen so far in part 5 have disabled half the Buciaratti crew.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

gnome7 posted:

Most of the stands we've seen so far in part 5 have disabled half the Buciaratti crew.

How much of the crew's original bodymass is even left? After the repeated body part part replacement its probably a lot less than they'd want.
When do we hit a ship of theseus situation?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Can giorno just make a biomass copy of someone from golden wind that still has their stand like he did with the turtle? Your ability is god damned bullshit giorno.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

animatorZed posted:

How much of the crew's original bodymass is even left? After the repeated body part part replacement its probably a lot less than they'd want.

I think Fugo is the only one who didn't get any body parts replaced.

comedyblissoption posted:

Can giorno just make a biomass copy of someone from golden wind that still has their stand like he did with the turtle? Your ability is god damned bullshit giorno.

I don't think Gold Experience can make anything bigger than a snake.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

animatorZed posted:

If you wanna get technical about it, outside of the central nervous system your body is basically replacing itself all the time. Giorno is just augmenting that process.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I think Fugo is the only one who didn't get any body parts replaced.

Unless I'm misremembering, Abachio only got his hand zipped back on by Bruno and nothing else

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

superb birb

subirb

Part 3 would have been better if we'd seen DIO chilling in Egypt somewhat on a night being a huge prick, maybe even recruiting Vanilla Ice and the D'Arbys in the present of the series, something more than just him chilling in a library and spooking Hol Horse and then sitting in a chair waiting for the boys to find him.

Like maybe even have the Senator thing still happen but it's just DIO doing DIO things on a night out rather than it being part of chasing down Jotaro and Joseph.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

DIO buys a man's truck and then uses The World to not only steal the money back but also the man's wallet.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I don't think Gold Experience can make anything bigger than a snake.

Trees are bigger than snakes, I'm pretty sure.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

also there's snakes bigger than people

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

fractalairduct posted:

Trees are bigger than snakes, I'm pretty sure.

Aside from a tree that one time. :argh:

Mr. Lobe posted:

also there's snakes bigger than people

Anything bigger than a bricksnake. :argh:

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
If it ever gets addressed it should be "how much effort GioGio puts into it". Give him a day, grow a full-sized tree...

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

He grew a full sized tree to escape Koichi in a couple of seconds in the first episode

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Trying to think of where Giorno's limits are is pointless because even Araki never really bothered. Gold Experience is as bullshit as the plot requires.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Gold Experience is just Super Hamon.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

multijoe posted:

He grew a full sized tree to escape Koichi in a couple of seconds in the first episode

works every time

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

overmind2000 posted:

Yeah exactly. Also while on his own he's not much, but RHCP is a cool stand and a separate character in his own right, and that adds a lot to Akira.

Going to this weeks episode I wonder: does Popplio have pink hair beacause he, like Trish, is the boss' kid? The backstory given in the episode does suggest that he's someone like that... I think? I know that friday will probably bring answers, but it's just something I thought of after seeing the episode. I hope he wins against Risotto, cause then we'll get some family time, the best time in Jojo.

I haven't read the manga mind you.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kikas posted:

Going to this weeks episode I wonder: does Popplio have pink hair beacause he, like Trish, is the boss' kid? The backstory given in the episode does suggest that he's someone like that... I think? I know that friday will probably bring answers, but it's just something I thought of after seeing the episode. I hope he wins against Risotto, cause then we'll get some family time, the best time in Jojo.

That isn't it. It's as Italian Avdol said: he has two souls, light and dark. Doppio (Popplio is a Pokemon) IS the boss - an alternate personality that somehow also completely changes his age and reverts him to the age he was when he killed his caretaker(?) and presumably started his whole "no one must know I exist" thing.

Doppio is completely unaware of all of this and thinks of himself as simply the boss' underling, connecting with him through fake calls with fake phones, making it clear that he's not all there. Whether the boss is aware is unclear but likely.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

I don’t know that it’s been made quite that explicit yet

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

It wasn’t explicitly spelled out that clearly but all of it was in the episode.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

JahRoo posted:

I don’t know that it’s been made quite that explicit yet

I mean, he straight up turns into the boss, voice and all, and uses King Crimson.

Also, given circumstances with Trish, there's no reason to assume he'd be okay with having another child.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Also, given circumstances with Trish, there's no reason to assume he'd be okay with having another child.

Yeah but if he was in full control of Doppio he could be okay. Plus his indentity does remain hidden. That's one aspect that made the idea that it's a kid so interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I mean, he straight up turns into the boss, voice and all, and uses King Crimson.

yeah that's why king crimson has a second little head on its forehead, it has some possession poo poo going