Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you want to be the 2020 Democratic Nominee?
This poll is closed.
Joe "the liberal who fights busing" Biden 27 1.40%
Bernie "please don't die" Sanders 1017 52.69%
Cory "charter schools" Booker 12 0.62%
Kirsten "wall street" Gillibrand 24 1.24%
Kamala "truancy queen" Harris 59 3.06%
Julian "who?" Castro 7 0.36%
Tulsi "gay panic" Gabbard 25 1.30%
Michael "crimes crimes crimes" Avenatti 22 1.14%
Sherrod "discount bernie" Brown 21 1.09%
Amy "horrible boss" Klobuchar 12 0.62%
Tammy "stands for america" Duckworth 48 2.49%
Beto "whataburger" O'Rourke 32 1.66%
Elizabeth "instagram beer" Warren 284 14.72%
Tom "impeach please" Steyer 4 0.21%
Michael "soda is the devil" Bloomberg 9 0.47%
Joseph Stalin 287 14.87%
Howard "coffee republican" Schultz 10 0.52%
Jay "nobody cares about climate change :(" Inslee 13 0.67%
Pete "gently caress the homeless" Butt Man 17 0.88%
Total: 1930 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Z. Autobahn posted:

Next time folks ask "But why isn't Warren more popular":

Radish posted:

LOL at calling Biden a "great leader."

Democrats really are dumber than the chuds.

It's not dumb it's sexism, they are libs so they dont say the quiet part loud like the chuds do. Calling Biden a great leader is a sexist and anti semitic dog whistle against Warren and Sanders. Warren has the most detailed plans and articulates them like a professor Sanders helped drag the overton window for the democratic primary so far to the left in just 2 years, but that leadership doesn't count either way because they're not in the caucasian male goy club

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Biden has literally done nothing but stand next to a guy in over ten years but yeah he's a great leader.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Condiv posted:

one would think the info about him tearing up homeless encampments while there weren't enough homeless shelters to care for the displaced homeless would make you uncomfortable. ditto him firing the first black police chief at the behest of racists. guess not :shrug:

The thing I don't understand about someone who isn't low-info (and I don't think BrandorKP is low info in this context) liking Buttigieg is that there are a bunch of huge red flags and hardly anything to motivate one to overlook them. Like, I can understand being willing to overlook bad things there's some really good stuff about the candidate in question that you think outweighs them, but literally the only thing I can think of with Buttigieg is the recently mentioned thing about giving statehood to DC and Puerto Rico. Meanwhile, the guy's history should not even remotely inspire confidence.

The main solutions our country needs do not involve maximizing output given strict constraints. Even if you blindly assume that Buttigieg is some whiz kid who can solve complex optimization problems (and, again, there's zero reason to think this is the case), that isn't a skill that is particularly useful in this context. It's not like the thing keeping people poor in the US is some complex problem that no one has been able to find the solution to yet.

edit: Like, if I were comparing Obama during the 2008 election with Buttigieg now, Obama would end up looking better in that comparison.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

quote:

Being a great leader is more important in a presidential candidate than having great policy ideas, all voters say 50 - 39 percent. Democrats and Democratic leaners agree 52 - 38 percent.

Being a great leader is pretty obviously largely standing in for being electable. Which is at least an understandable thing for people to want when they're going up against Donny. When Biden shits away the electability argument, it's probably going to come down to a contest between Bernie and Harris.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Your Parents posted:

dude hes gay. hes GAY!!! how many clap emojis do you need to see???

Winemoms who are die-hard Hillary supporters are posting paragraphs of support for Buttigieg right now, just because he's gay.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Ytlaya posted:

While I understand why this seems to intuitively make sense, a point I was making earlier in the thread is that it's actually not entirely clear whether a bad Democratic administration like one under Biden is superior to Trump on the whole. While Biden in the specific role of president wouldn't be quite as bad as Trump, it would likely result in depressed Democratic turn-out for Congressional and state/local-level races (as opposed to the increased turn-out that occurred in response to Trump). There's also a good chance Democratic politicians would be willing to pass harmful legislation under a bad Democratic president in a situation where they'd be willing to oppose Trump (and it is very likely a Biden administration would support a number of actively bad things). And this is ignoring the fact that it makes a bad Republican winning even more likely after their term ends.

Basically, I don't think it's nearly clear enough to condemn people for not voting for the lesser evil. It isn't the black/white "obviously even a bad Democrat being elected is better" situation that it might appear to be at first glance.

further supporting this perspective:

https://twitter.com/jackallisonLOL/status/1117442913095393280

I'm sure President Hillary would have been very competent in getting IBM to build databases of the people in camps.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

AsInHowe posted:

Winemoms who are die-hard Hillary supporters are posting paragraphs of support for Buttigieg right now, just because he's gay.

he's also a troop. flag hags

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

BrandorKP posted:

Yep. Don't like his stance on Israel though. I mean of course I'm going to like him. I told you guys you'd have to push things to the left of where I'm comfortable.

as Niebuhr taught you, as James Comey demonstrated, and the Buttman recapitulates: as long as you make a sad face and declare "otherwise The System says the commies might win," there is no amount of suffering it is wrong to visit on the powerless.

right, Brandor?

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

AsInHowe posted:

The polling data seems to show that his support is more college-educated white men. Liberal tech bros feeling the butt.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

Oh Snapple! posted:

40% is completely meaningless to the point where even acknowledging the proposal is a waste of everyone's time, both because it has 0 power to begin with and because the options given for "worker-chosen" representatives will not necessarily be good options. It's the definition of a nothing proposal.

This is a moronic take. I'm voting for Bernie for a variety of reasons but poll CEOs and boards to see how happy they'd be about her proposal and I bet you anything they'd be very unhappy. Why would they be unhappy? Because worker representation on a board would probably be more effective (or just about as effective) than unionization at driving company policies to benefit workers at the expense of shareholder profit. What you're painting as a waste of time would fundamentally transform the balance of worker/shareholder power at the largest corporations. It would be a Good Thing, and I hope president Bernie implements her plan.

I'm sure anything other than full communism now is a waste of our time in your view, but given that the chance of full communism now is roughly 0%, you seem to be the one wasting people's time with your idiotic and empty criticisms.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Z. Autobahn posted:

The polling data seems to show that his support is more college-educated white men. Liberal tech bros feeling the butt.

the berniebros have abandoned bernie?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Even with all the negatives of Butt if he wins I'll be pretty loving excited to vote for him for identity politics reasons I have to admit. Not my first second or third choice though

I think he's picking off a Sanders segment of voters who primarily identify a white and male though, since Sanders has made his campaign visible a lot less so than last time

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Even with all the negatives of Butt if he wins I'll be pretty loving excited to vote for him for identity politics reasons I have to admit. Not my first second or third choice though

I think he's picking off a Sanders segment of voters who primarily identify a white and male though, since Sanders has made his campaign visible a lot less so than last time

cool you’re excited to vote for a racist war criminal , how nice. Flowers and butterflies

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah it means a lot to be able to vote for a gay person for president, it would mean a lot to close personal friends and relatives of mine

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Yeah it means a lot to be able to vote for a gay person for president, it would mean a lot to close personal friends and relatives of mine

voting for a gay fascist who wants to expand the empire to half the world means a lot to you ?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Wiping away a tear as I watch my gay president give Israel the thumbs up to purge Palestine from the face of the earth.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Oh Snapple! posted:

Wiping away a tear as I watch my gay president give Israel the thumbs up to purge Palestine from the face of the earth.

Tel Aviv has a Pride Parade where they allow LGBT to wantonly murder as many Palestinians as straight Israelis. How can you say Israel is an apartheid hellscape?

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Oh Snapple! posted:

he’s gay , it’s okay how he wants to bomb brown people (who he speaks the language of !)

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Oh Snapple! posted:

Buttigieg is pro-two state solution IIRC.

Pulcinella di Bund posted:

voting for a gay fascist who wants to expand the empire to half the world means a lot to you ?
[citation needed]

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Oh Snapple! posted:

*the national anthem "we are the champions" plays as missiles rain down on climate refugees*

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Gnumonic posted:

This is a moronic take. I'm voting for Bernie for a variety of reasons but poll CEOs and boards to see how happy they'd be about her proposal and I bet you anything they'd be very unhappy. Why would they be unhappy? Because worker representation on a board would probably be more effective (or just about as effective) than unionization at driving company policies to benefit workers at the expense of shareholder profit. What you're painting as a waste of time would fundamentally transform the balance of worker/shareholder power at the largest corporations. It would be a Good Thing, and I hope president Bernie implements her plan.

I'm sure anything other than full communism now is a waste of our time in your view, but given that the chance of full communism now is roughly 0%, you seem to be the one wasting people's time with your idiotic and empty criticisms.

Unless it's already a weirdly worker-minded boardroom, they're going to have 0 power or leverage whatsoever. And of course those companies aren't going to want it even with this in mind. They're collectively huge shitheads who don't want even the optics of "losing."

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

Condiv posted:

the berniebros have abandoned bernie?

A small subsection of them, but a lot of Bernie's support is from non-college-educated folk

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Youth Decay posted:

[citation needed]

you’re a fascist supporter if you like butt

He wants to destroy and kill brown people and he’s extremely racist

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Youth Decay posted:

That doesn't mean much. A lot of people are publicly pro-two state solution.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

I'm bi and I would rather the dude people will know as the first gay president not be a bloodthirsty racist

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Very glad a straight man is here to tell me how it's good the person people think I am like being a reprehensible piece of poo poo is good and cool, actually,

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Pete sucks and if you have any support for him you’re a right wing nut job

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Forgive my ignorance, but what's all this about Buttigieg being racist? Is it specific to Israel-Palestine?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

El Jeffe posted:

Forgive my ignorance, but what's all this about Buttigieg being racist? Is it specific to Israel-Palestine?

google buttigeig south bend police. you will be interested by what you find.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Gnumonic posted:

I agree, though mostly in the sense that simply bringing up the topic of worker ownership of businesses is important. Like, even if that specific policy didn't directly accomplish much, it's still important to have it be part of the discussion.

I feel like Warren is fairly strong in terms of, for lack of a better description, supporting policy that would increase taxes/regulation on wealthy individuals/businesses, but that her main weakness is that she doesn't focus much on actually giving to the poor/working class. She seems to have a resistance to just openly supporting large government programs to redistribute wealth (or provide services, like MfA). This isn't as surprising to me as it might seem; it's entirely possible for someone to simultaneously be in favor of punishing the rich while also retaining a lot of wrong ideas about the "fiscal irresponsibility" of heavy government spending.

El Jeffe posted:

Yeowch mentions the police thing, but with regard to Israel-Palestine his views seem pretty exceptionally bad, to a degree worse than even many other Democrats:

Vox posted:

The 37-year-old openly gay mayor of South Bend, Indiana, has in the past described Israel as a model for the US in how to deal with security threats. He’s blamed most of the suffering in Gaza on Hamas, the Palestinian Islamist political organization and militant group that has run the territory since 2007. And he’s strongly rejected condemnations of Israel — and US support for it — made by progressive lawmakers.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 15, 2019

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

Radish posted:

Biden has literally done nothing but stand next to a guy in over ten years but yeah he's a great leader.

Doing nothing but stand around is sooo much better than he did earlier in his career.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

google buttigeig south bend police. you will be interested by what you find.

Ytlaya posted:

Yeowch mentions the police thing, but with regard to Israel-Palestine his views seem pretty exceptionally bad, to a degree worse than even many other Democrats:

Hmm yeah that's all pretty questionable. I guess I continue to not support him, but now for specific reasons! Thanks goons.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

El Jeffe posted:

Hmm yeah that's all pretty questionable. I guess I continue to not support him, but now for specific reasons! Thanks goons.

cool. Continue your support for the fascist

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Reading is hard eh? :raise:

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I agree, though mostly in the sense that simply bringing up the topic of worker ownership of businesses is important. Like, even if that specific policy didn't directly accomplish much, it's still important to have it be part of the discussion.

She hasn't brought up worker ownership.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Radish posted:

He wasn't even that great of a VP, since he never really managed to wrangle the senate into doing anything important.

mandatory lesbian posted:

Very glad a straight man is here to tell me how it's good the person people think I am like being a reprehensible piece of poo poo is good and cool, actually,

Welcome to all dialogue about Buttgeig

Grapplejack fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Apr 15, 2019

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
Biden forced Obama's hand on gay marriage. He'll be able to use that when campaigning.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Calm down dude

Also yeah while a gay president or VP would be an extremely good thing, it'll sadly have to wait because butt is extremely bad

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

LinYutang posted:

Biden forced Obama's hand on gay marriage. He'll be able to use that when campaigning.

I didn't know that Obama had complete control over the supreme court

Also Biden voted for DOMA lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

That's a reasonable post though, there is literally no reason to vote for Biden if he won't improve your life

Which means if you're not rich