Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mordja posted:

What were those notes? The first game had its problems, but it really captured the feeling of being a 1-tonne wrecking ball and I'm sad there won't be another.

Basically Titus gets blackmailed by the Inquisition, but he escapes, goes on a rampage of righteous fury against the corrupt, and eventually establishes an Ultramarines successor chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Firewarrior had the best bolters in any game, full stop.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

jizzy sillage posted:

Firewarrior had the best bolters in any game, full stop.

I think Fire Warrior and Chaos Gate are among the few games that nailed the sound and impact of bolters. Most other games sort of just alter them to be more like machine guns.

It's just a shame Fire Warrior wasn't better.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I like the voice actor for serious old table guy, he had gravitas

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Firewarrior was the last fps I ever played that had red/blue/yellow key level design.

It did not give me a good impression.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Doc Hawkins posted:

Firewarrior was the last fps I ever played that had red/blue/yellow key level design.

It did not give me a good impression.

You should play Doom, new or old, both are good.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

You should play Doom, new or old, both are good.

I have played old Doom. Hence my familiarity with needing the blue key. It's a very uninteresting objective, and quite jarring in a game trying to give you an impression of an immense baroque black metal universe. It's mostly fine in Doom, because, hey, run around and shoot the demons, who cares, it's just a cool game. I felt the same way in quake, but then thought it was jarring in quake 2.

Does new Doom actually do the colored keys thing? Does new Wolfenstein do it? I'm concerned now.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

New Doom has colored keys, but there's usually some narrative around them, like you find the dead scientist who had the yellow keycard in order to get through the locked door in the science lab. Most levels don't have keys.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Max Wilco posted:

I think Fire Warrior and Chaos Gate are among the few games that nailed the sound and impact of bolters. Most other games sort of just alter them to be more like machine guns.

It's just a shame Fire Warrior wasn't better.

Everybody I've met that played Fire Warrior said that it wasn't bad but it wasn't really all that good either. It just kind of exists. The concept was neat and I never got to play it but hearing that it's like...should I?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Everybody I've met that played Fire Warrior said that it wasn't bad but it wasn't really all that good either. It just kind of exists. The concept was neat and I never got to play it but hearing that it's like...should I?

I didn't play it myself, but Mandalore Gaming did a video on the game, which is worth watching: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDh_aoyZT38

It seems like it manages to capture certain aspects of the setting pretty well (some the various weapons, as well as the level design in certain areas), but the overall package is under-par.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Doc Hawkins posted:

I have played old Doom. Hence my familiarity with needing the blue key. It's a very uninteresting objective, and quite jarring in a game trying to give you an impression of an immense baroque black metal universe. It's mostly fine in Doom, because, hey, run around and shoot the demons, who cares, it's just a cool game. I felt the same way in quake, but then thought it was jarring in quake 2.

Does new Doom actually do the colored keys thing? Does new Wolfenstein do it? I'm concerned now.

Bongo Bill posted:

New Doom has colored keys, but there's usually some narrative around them, like you find the dead scientist who had the yellow keycard in order to get through the locked door in the science lab. Most levels don't have keys.

Yeah it's basically just a way to get you to go back through areas to get the key through the door, generally with a new encounter. Good way to make use of the same geometry to extend the gameplay. While being more consistent than "you need to press this specific switch to open this specific door". If you see a blue door you know you need a blue key, and you can remember to go back to the blue door once you have the blue key.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's a clever way to give structure to open-style level design if you don't have the time or technical capability for real scripting. OG Doom tended towards very open levels and without keycards and such, there would've been a decent chance of you just running past the majority of the level and stumbling into the exit by pure chance. Locked doors give you a reason to actually go everywhere in a particular order.

That said, it doesn't really belong in any game made after the year 2000.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

You can have locked doors, backtracking, etc. Literal arbitrary color-coded keys/cards is super game-y. Not even necessarily bad, but clearly it undercuts the impression of a story or fictional space, unless you're making a Paranoia fps, then I'd be on board a million percent.

Cardiovorax posted:

That said, it doesn't really belong in any game made after the year 2000.

You edited in this part so I'll edit in my empty-quote of it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
:confused: I'm pretty sure that was there all along, but I guess it's not like it matters.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
DUSK came out in 2018, has coloured keys and thank god for DUSK. :colbert:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

[Mod] I replaced all colored key cards with numbered ones.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It's not a mod but I think it's funny.

https://twitter.com/XCOM/status/1116793107713069056

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
loving :laffo:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

https://twitter.com/pleaserespond47/status/1116800729732255751

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

That's peak or near peak smug internet gamer there.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It’s sad how many people don’t get the joke

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

It’s sad how many people don’t get the joke

Voice actors (Cam Clarke and David Hayter's Taco Bell skit) and companies being free to jump in on jokes is like the only good thing about the games industry.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

To be fair, XCOM's tendency to make you miss shots at point-blank range is pretty aggravating.

I say this having bought both new XCOMs, but not having played them yet. I just know about the issue from things I've seen online:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
they are fun, you just have to learn to deal with loss.

i enjoyed the gently caress out of all the xcoms and also :xcom:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Max Wilco posted:

To be fair, XCOM's tendency to make you miss shots at point-blank range is pretty aggravating.

I say this having bought both new XCOMs, but not having played them yet. I just know about the issue from things I've seen online:

That's fair, and usually what a lot of people think of, but the opposite is true as well.

When the mission has gone south, and your squad is down aside from one wounded soldier, and Advent only needs one more civilian killed to wipe out the resistance, so you line up that 10% shot on the last Advent soldier, say a quick Hail Mary, and instantly blow that Officer's head off with a solid crit, saving a bleeding out XCOM soldier and the entire resistance cell in that region, :xcom: too

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Danaru posted:

That's fair, and usually what a lot of people think of, but the opposite is true as well.

When the mission has gone south, and your squad is down aside from one wounded soldier, and Advent only needs one more civilian killed to wipe out the resistance, so you line up that 10% shot on the last Advent soldier, say a quick Hail Mary, and instantly blow that Officer's head off with a solid crit, saving a bleeding out XCOM soldier and the entire resistance cell in that region, :xcom: too

:getin:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

I didn't realize the Honest Trailers voice did XCOM work.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
he is a treasure.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's so satisfying to hear him.

"I had... high expectations, Commander... and yet... you exceeded them." :allears:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Oh, his "Greetings, Commander" sends chills down my spine every time I hear it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Hey, that guy sounds pretty cool!

(The original was taken down I guess.)

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/66726

This seems pretty promising!

quote:

You've all most likely heard of mods such as CAGE and Continue After Ending by McLion. Whilst these mods are great, and allow you to continue after you conclude the battle of Hoover Dam, that's all they do. The world doesn't change; the Dam battle still takes place as if nothing changed, if you help the Legion, they never take over New Vegas and NCR troopers are still around and act as if they haven't lost yet, and if Goodsprings was taken over by the NCR, this isn't represented at all.

This is where this mod comes in. After two weeks, Hoover Dam is taken over by the respective faction and the fighting stops, the Kings will get eradicated by the Legion, if alive, the Brotherhood of Steel will take over Helios One and patrol the roads, and the Great Khans will evacuate their camp, taking everything with them. This is only a small portion of what can take place however, and there are a massive amount of things that change based on how you play.

Not only this, but dialogue has been changed to represent whatever endings are chosen

A surfing dog?!
Apr 23, 2006

I know this is pretty tame as far as bad mods go, but

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Is this literally a shopped photo of a Jaheira cosplayer? Because it looks like it is.

Oh god, I'm still laughing.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Finally, our many years of asking have paid off and we've got our Matrix game!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGd3kl7LRVI

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh that’s been around for over a decade now

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Replayed Max Payne 2 with the Payne Effects mod, game's still fun as hell. Also replayed MP1 before that, def not as good from a gameplay standpoint, possibly better from an atmosphere one? I dunno, I dug all the modern-day ragnarok poo poo.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Finally, our many years of asking have paid off and we've got our Matrix game!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGd3kl7LRVI

The best part of this is that Bravura has mirror shades too.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Have you ever wished Half Life 2 played more like Titanfall 2?
https://www.moddb.com/mods/mobility-mod-for-half-life-2/videos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slowflake
Aug 18, 2010

Mordja posted:

Have you ever wished Half Life 2 played more like Titanfall 2?
https://www.moddb.com/mods/mobility-mod-for-half-life-2/videos

I have NOW, thank you very much for the link.
Now all we need is a campaign that's 10 times harder so I don't just steamroll the base one. But I'm sure the internet has that covered too.