Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

13Pandora13 posted:

So like, what's literally anyone's plan for breaking this news to Danerys, and how do they plan on backing up such a claim?

The dragons will shoot fire at Jon and everyone will know he's also a dragon by his unscathed dong blowing majestically in the wind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
loving lost it at "stay back, he has blue eyes!"

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

I mean yeah nothing happened but my bar for this show is basically in the Mariana Trench at this point so it was enjoyable

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Extremely hilarious to me that everyone let Bran sit in the same spot for 24 hours unattended

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

RBA Starblade posted:

The dragons will shoot fire at Jon and everyone will know he's also a dragon by his unscathed dong blowing majestically

They made a point of Jon getting burned all the way back in season 1. GRRM :argh:

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Majorian posted:

Same. People like to not like things because it's the internet.

I think the new hip thing to do is to loudly claim how much you hate GoT but honestly those people can gently caress off. Show is still more entertaining than most of the poo poo thats on.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Bran "I like to watch" Stark is way creepier than that Umber kid.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Deuce posted:

loving lost it at "stay back, he has blue eyes!"

This and the dragons sex creeping was hilarious but also a really weird tone for this show

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Deuce posted:

They made a point of Jon getting burned all the way back in season 1. GRRM :argh:

Oh guess he's hosed then lol

quote:

Bran "I like to watch" Stark is way creepier than that Umber kid.

I hope every conversation in Winterfell has someone looking over their shoulder at Bran

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

We've jumped into another reality where GOT is a Netflix show instead of an HBO show.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Tarleys betrayed the Targaryeans, then the Tyrells, but for some reason refused to betray the Lannisters who they served for like 3 days.

I mean, staying true on that OG betrayal, and they really didn't like that Dany was showing up with rape-crazy foreign hordes. Made sense to me since they were stubborn jerks who'd rather die with honor than bow to what is essentially a foreign power now.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Deuce posted:

GRRM has said the fire thing with Dany was not a Targ thing any of them could do, but a particularly specific event

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

It was an episode chock full of recaps to bring everyone up to speed after a year long hiatus. It was fine.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Harlock posted:

Extremely hilarious to me that everyone let Bran sit in the same spot for 24 hours unattended

He probably makes creepy comments to everyone within earshot so everyone just tries to be polite as possible since he's technically lord of the castle

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I actually thought it was pretty good, but I had very low expectations going in. Also I forgot how few episodes are left so, now knowing that it seems like a waste

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
this cherynobol show looks lit

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Harlock posted:

No one batted an eye at Arya roaming around just doing whatever for the entire episode so I'm thinking Sansa only remembers to pay attention to the siblings she's mad at.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

13Pandora13 posted:

This and the dragons sex creeping was hilarious but also a really weird tone for this show

Gonna take a shot in the dark and say those jokes were pure D&D.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Darko posted:

It was stupid as gently caress, but it was fun stupid instead of boring stupid. It's just diametrically opposite of the show it started off as. It's better than most stuff as a general show.

Yeah it's become the opposite of GRRM's writing. Stuff he does is smart, unsatisfying and takes forever, whereas this is awesomely stupid, moving at a breakneck pace and full of satisfying occurrences that have been built up

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Its Coke posted:

Yeah it's become the opposite of GRRM's writing. Stuff he does is smart, unsatisfying and takes forever, whereas this is awesomely stupid, moving at a breakneck pace and full of satisfying occurrences that have been built up

And most importantly ends

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Bran forgives everything Jaime did after he does the one task no one else would—move him out of the loving cold.

mizbachevenim
Jul 13, 2002

If you fake the funk, your nose will grow

YaketySass posted:

I Bran (So Far Away)

Cripes that's funny

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Maybe expectations are just lower but thought that was a pretty good first episode. Also new opening felt really neat and inspired!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Jamie's sentence for his crimes will be to serve as Bran's butler for a month. Oh man, the antics that will ensue!

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Yeah I thought the plot would advance a lot faster, literally each individual scene from now on is like 2% of the final season and it seemed like a ton of time wasted on stuff that didn't advance the plot.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

13Pandora13 posted:

GRRM has said the fire thing with Dany was not a Targ thing any of them could do, but a particularly specific event

Not how it works in the show. But it is probably just Dany specific., I guess.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Is it just me or wasn't every episode supposed to be an hour and a half since they skimped out on half the episodes of a normal season?

This episode felt like literally nothing happened and a complete waste of time.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Captain Magic posted:

Bran forgives everything Jaime did after he does the one task no one else would—move him out of the loving cold.

"You came to change my diaper since I can't control my bowels due to your actions, I see the future now btw"

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

NowonSA posted:

I mean, staying true on that OG betrayal, and they really didn't like that Dany was showing up with rape-crazy foreign hordes. Made sense to me since they were stubborn jerks who'd rather die with honor than bow to what is essentially a foreign power now.

From a legal standpoint Dany has entirely justifiable cause to execute Randall Tarly, given that he was a sworn vassal to Lady Olenna, and betrayed and helped kill her. Surprisingly, the feudal contract was taken quite seriously, nobody liked an oathbreaker because the next oath they break might be to you. If anything it could be argued Daenerys was stupidly merciful for offering him the chance to bend the knee.

DickOFF Tarly just was dumb and said "kill me too please."

Yeah, sucks for Sam, his brother really didn't deserve to die but it was entirely his choice to die.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

lol @ Bronn serving Cersei without seeing her, but sad that the Sandor/Arya reunion couldnt have them let their guards down for a minute and be happy instead of sociopaths

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Jean Eric Burn posted:

Yeah I thought the plot would advance a lot faster, literally each individual scene from now on is like 2% of the final season and it seemed like a ton of time wasted on stuff that didn't advance the plot.

Which parts didn't advance the plot? The only scene I can think of is Tyrion's conversation with Sansa.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Well, that one episode was better than all of last season. I didn't even mind how little the plot moved.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m less than 15 minutes in and this feels like every scene is in fast motion

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

TraderStav posted:

Jamie's sentence for his crimes will be to serve as Bran's butler for a month. Oh man, the antics that will ensue!

Sansa you can't date my butler!

why not?

Because he's MY butler

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Darko posted:

It was stupid as gently caress, but it was fun stupid instead of boring stupid. It's just diametrically opposite of the show it started off as. It's better than most stuff as a general show.

it was a 50 minute recap show.

it reminded me of reading Terry Goodkind where he'd spend the first 2/3rds of his next novel recapping what happened in the previous one

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
Jon Bradley and Kit Harrington were absolutely wonderful to watch. I enjoyed the episode overall but the scene in the crypt. Oof.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Darko posted:

ugh, I didn't even consider Jaime meeting Bran and Dany. This show is just ridiculous fanservice.

I personally don't mind it. I said the same about season 7 too. Give me all the fanservice, I want it. I want all my heroes — and antiheroes — to meet up and fight fantasy medieval zombies. Building up six seasons of all the good stuff, now gimme those sweet LOTR-esque battles and dragons fighting zombies and poo poo in the payoff.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Dave Hill wrote that episode

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Kawalimus posted:

Maybe expectations are just lower but thought that was a pretty good first episode. Also new opening felt really neat and inspired!

Agreed! I was very surprised to see the entirely new opening--they can do that now, I think, because the entirety of the story takes place in like three places on the map. It looked great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Great show. Bran sat outside all day and all night waiting for Jaime to show up.