Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Robot Mil posted:

What's Bronn doing again? My stream went funny at that point so I saw him holding a crossbow but not sure what for...

Cersei (via Qyburn) hired him to kill Jaime and Tyrion if they survive zombiewar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Darko posted:

High fantasy finish is fine, but the "THIS CHARACTER JUST HAS TO MEET UP WITH THIS OTHER CHARACTER AGAIN" that shrinks the universe ridiculously is the issue. The show has become all contrivances, while the book/early seasons were about how decisions and chance basically screw over everyone and life basically fucks things over.

The biggest example is that book Brienne couldn't find the Stark girls but met both of them almost immediately on looking in the show. That was a "cute" change at the time, but then EVERYTHING started happening as convenient as possible like that.

The universe was well built and expanded through the first several seasons. Now with every character's storyline converging towards one another, the writing would naturally bring more characters together. Sure it may be full of contrivances, but the universe is basically contracting rapidly into the finishing climax so I'm ok with getting everyone together by any means necessary, even if the writing isn't as strong as it was before.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

JT Jag posted:

they're first cousins, gross

Yeah, he should probably plowing his aunt

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Dany v Sansa: Dawn of Smugness

Lmao that Sam scene. Just keep kicking him while he's down.

Lasagna Pilot posted:

That jump scare was lit

:same:

Elephanthead posted:

Didn't I push you out a window kid, guess I need to finish the job.

I want an extended scene where Jaime goes up to Bran and just pushes him out of his wheelchair

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I keep having to check that I’m not watching this episode at 1.5x

the pacing is so rushed

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Oh both of them! Huh, would be an interesting end for both of them if they just got sneak attacked by a crossbow in the middle of a random conversation.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Karmine posted:

I’m not saying you’re wrong about the bolded part, but I dunno, it makes sense to me that, when everyone is convening at Winterfell, people who haven’t seen each other in a while will see each other again and we can follow up on/resolve hanging threads of story.

Early, it was hugely about travel time and area, so people would miss each other due to that. Now people are around due to speed of plot.

Also, there are some little differences that became big now, like character replacements such as Gendry being connected to everyone now.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

I keep having to check that I’m not watching this episode at 1.5x

the pacing is so rushed

It definitely felt like it blew by, but so much happened.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I almost thought Euron asking how the King was in bed was going to be an excuse for them to put in Cersei's monologue from the books.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Darko posted:

High fantasy finish is fine, but the "THIS CHARACTER JUST HAS TO MEET UP WITH THIS OTHER CHARACTER AGAIN" that shrinks the universe ridiculously is the issue. The show has become all contrivances, while the book/early seasons were about how decisions and chance basically screw over everyone and life basically fucks things over.

The biggest example is that book Brienne couldn't find the Stark girls but met both of them almost immediately on looking in the show. That was a "cute" change at the time, but then EVERYTHING started happening as convenient as possible like that.

Earlier cases of character meetings being convenient are quite valid, but now as the opener showed the only two places left that characters are really at are Winterfell and King's Landing. When people are that condensed, in Winterfell especially, it makes plenty of sense to me that they'd meet up.

In the case of the Hound/Arya meetup for instance, she was heading there to get Gendry to make her some rad thing, Hound was there to get a big ol axe, that's plenty for me to say it makes sense. Bran has psychic powers to meet anyone at anytime, so he's fine. Most of the other figures are high profile and connected with the movers and shakers so easy to set up meetings there. Dany sought out Sam to thank him for helping Jorah, boom done.

I thought it all flowed pretty naturally myself, moreso than many cases in the past. It wasn't just "hey these characters have history so they're meeting" but more that the characters had reasons to see each other, either to accomplish a goal or because they have an existing personal, political or familial relationship.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Darko posted:

Early, it was hugely about travel time and area, so people would miss each other due to that. Now people are around due to speed of plot.

Everyone who is involved in the war is at the front. I don't know what to tell you dude.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

teagone posted:

It definitely felt like it blew by, but so much happened.

I’m pretty drunk which I’m sure doesn’t help

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

bobjr posted:

I almost thought Euron asking how the King was in bed was going to be an excuse for them to put in Cersei's monologue from the books.
yeah that would have been a good place to slip in the "the dude passed out drunk by thrust two" bit.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

teagone posted:

The universe was well built and expanded through the first several seasons. Now with every character's storyline converging towards one another, the writing would naturally bring more characters together. Sure it may be full of contrivances, but the universe is basically contracting rapidly into the finishing climax so I'm ok with getting everyone together by any means necessary, even if the writing isn't as strong as it was before.

That's why I call it stupid fun. I enjoy seeing people meet back up, but it's oh so silly. As I said in my last post, it wouldn't be so bad, but the character merging they did means that everyone basically met everyone at this point, which makes it a ridiculously tiny world.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

NowonSA posted:

No way does Dany set aside those throne ambitions just because she's no longer the rightful Targ heir though, the happiest ending for the kingdom at large is probably Dany and Jon getting hitched and taking the throne while still making babies despite the incest, though man that's gotta take that coin flip on good targ rules from 50/50 to like 60/40 at least.

Daenerys "break the wheel" Targaryen :laugh:

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I can already loving see clearly in my head what's going to happen, Jon's going to tell Dany and because this is the middle ages aunt-nephew incest wasn't even greatly frowned upon, setting aside the fact that they're the Targaryens and incest is sort of their thing.

Then Jon's going to realize A) he loves Dany, B) he doesn't want the throne, C) he thinks Dany will be better at it than him, D) her army isn't loyal to House Targaryen, their loyal to her, personally, E) that the entire loving North only trusts him because they think he's the son of Ned Stark.

I can see the scene itself; Dany proposes something, Lady Mormont tells her to gently caress off, they all look to Jon and say "we trust Ned Stark's son," and Jon's going to realize that sometimes, protecting what you love is more important than thrones and titles.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Did Bran invent wheelchairs in the GoT universe? If so, it’s kind of a letdown that he has to wait until the invention of sidewalks to be able to go anywhere.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Why did they settle of 6 episodes? Is the actor per-episode cost too high with the ensemble?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Did a hooker just proposition Qyburn

What the gently caress is this episode

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Did Bran invent wheelchairs in the GoT universe? If so, it’s kind of a letdown that he has to wait until the invention of sidewalks to be able to go anywhere.

there was a scene in this very show introducing the wheelchair

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

He pretty clearly doesn't go anywhere.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew
Every single scene in the rest of the show should just have a smash cut to Bran in his wheelchair staring at the character last talking and it will be the greatest show in history. I don't even care if it's Cersei and Qyburn. Just do it D&D.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Bip Roberts posted:

He pretty clearly doesn't go anywhere.

"Yo Bran, can we take you inside?"

"No. I need to be right here tomorrow to look ominously at someone, then cryptically hint at something that they won't understand until the proper time. Bring me another blanket, and some food."

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hahahah Cersei’s elephant obsession is loving awesome

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Darko posted:

That's why I call it stupid fun. I enjoy seeing people meet back up, but it's oh so silly. As I said in my last post, it wouldn't be so bad, but the character merging they did means that everyone basically met everyone at this point, which makes it a ridiculously tiny world.

Just chock it up to fate and destiny, and enjoy the ride :cool:

It's been ~9 years, and this is the poo poo I've personally been waiting for.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Sky Shadowing posted:

I can already loving see clearly in my head what's going to happen, Jon's going to tell Dany and because this is the middle ages aunt-nephew incest wasn't even greatly frowned upon, setting aside the fact that they're the Targaryens and incest is sort of their thing.

Then Jon's going to realize A) he loves Dany, B) he doesn't want the throne, C) he thinks Dany will be better at it than him, D) her army isn't loyal to House Targaryen, their loyal to her, personally, E) that the entire loving North only trusts him because they think he's the son of Ned Stark.

I can see the scene itself; Dany proposes something, Lady Mormont tells her to gently caress off, they all look to Jon and say "we trust Ned Stark's son," and Jon's going to realize that sometimes, protecting what you love is more important than thrones and titles.

I hadn't thought of the "Son of Ned Stark" angle being a factor here, that does make sense. Lyanna was a long time ago, her name's not gonna carry nearly as much weight in the North as Ned's, and him being revealed as Targ would basically shatter his Notrhern rep.

Definitely makes the most sense to sort out all of this stuff amicably after both the Dead are defeated and Cersei's out of the picture, talk it out, reach an agreement and put out the press releases after, but no way that's how it shakes down.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Bip Roberts posted:

Why did they settle of 6 episodes? Is the actor per-episode cost too high with the ensemble?

HBO started the "final season split" with Sopranos, and shows like Breaking Bad, etc. picked that up and it worked.

Basically, you budget out a shoot for one season, and then split it into two because you make more money overall spreading it out like that.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

JT Jag posted:

Bronn is gonna die tracking Tyrion down, having him in his sights with that crossbow, hesitating and getting cut down by guards Pod :(

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
People are complaining about people meeting up but hell, who's to say Bran didn't ask a guy to move him to the other courtyard because he knew Jaime would walk through there

the guy has Future Vision gently caress

I can see it so clearly too

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So what happens if the Night King and the zombie hordes go anywhere but Winterfell

Escobarbarian posted:

Did a hooker just proposition Qyburn

What the gently caress is this episode

Well he is the Hand of the Queen

Automatonic Water
Jul 8, 2012

dig thru the ditches
and burn thru the witches
and slam in the back of my.........
.........DRAGULA

Yams Fan
I dont get it, literally season 1 episode 1 the baratheons, lannisters and starks were all hanging out in the same house, why is it suddenly contrived to have the plot important guys here again at the plot-important location

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

hahahah Cersei’s elephant obsession is loving awesome

Elephants may be the best animal I ever met, Cersei is right yet again.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
What was the episode title? HBO Now just lists it as Season 8, Episode 1.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

So am I reaching or did the new opening hint at the idea that the wights are going to raise the dead from the crypts of winterfell and the dragons under the red keep

Not sure if speculation is spoiler worthy but hey

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

qbert posted:

What was the episode title? HBO Now just lists it as Season 8, Episode 1.

King's Landing Winterfell

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Automatonic Water posted:

I dont get it, literally season 1 episode 1 the baratheons, lannisters and starks were all hanging out in the same house, why is it suddenly contrived to have the plot important guys here again at the plot-important location

Because people love to hate the show

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

I wonder what weapon Arya is having made.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Sansa was complaining about food stores, but wouldn't the Unsullied and Dothraki have brought their own rations with them?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Wiltsghost posted:

I wonder what weapon Arya is having made.

It's a spear. She had a picture of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Jon riding a dragon is fuckin rad