Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
The big iron with polymorph synergy and the new predator gun I think are some of my favorite guns, not the most OP, I just love getting them.

The plague pistol even with synergies is just bad, doesn't give you immunity for poison so you got to deal with poison pools, only 4 damage a shot, has a little more ammo with the synergy but at its base the ammo is terrible for the damage it does, terrible magazine size, and the poison dot isn't that great at all.

Destro fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

The corsair is fantastic, maybe you are instead the one who sucks :catbert:

Alien Engine is still the best gun in the game.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up

BaconCopter posted:

The corsair is fantastic, maybe you are instead the one who sucks :catbert:

Alien Engine is still the best gun in the game.

I agree that the corsair is fantastic for gun munching.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I got a demon head yesterday and I really liked that. It made quick work of bosses.

What should I do to survive the Wall boss? When it makes the flame path with a wall of bullets on both sides I don't know what to do. :(

I always forget about active items and blanks. Maybe blanks is the answer.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Destro posted:

I agree that the corsair is fantastic for gun munching.

I legit really like the corsair, by default it's really underwhelming but with damage ups and/or the synergies it becomes an excellent 0 effort room clearer AND boss weapon.

Wildtortilla posted:

I got a demon head yesterday and I really liked that. It made quick work of bosses.

What should I do to survive the Wall boss? When it makes the flame path with a wall of bullets on both sides I don't know what to do. :(

I always forget about active items and blanks. Maybe blanks is the answer.

Wall is all about learning the general patterns and movement necessary to dodge said patterns. The walls of bullets are just short enough that you can dodge roll right over them.

BaconCopter fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 15, 2019

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Or you can just keep rolling back and forth across the flame. You'll never light up.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Slowly but surely getting the last few unlocks out of the game: Aside from getting around to nabbing the Paradox/Gunslinger (I love taking breaks and losing the pickup apparently), the only major hurdles left are the Advanced Dragun, the Rat's 3rd phase, and fukken Lead God.

Getting to Bullet Hell is a piece of cake for me, but holy crap do I love to dive into easy bullet patterns during every boss.

But once I manage to get the Finished Gun I still really want to learn about modding this mess; there's all kinds of items that could benefit from retooling and new synergies, and I'm curious about how the game would play if I hosed around with stuff like "What if clearing a room guaranteed a chest containing pickups that the player could gamble money on?" or "What if I turned this into Nuclear Throne and showered the player with limited-use guns alongside an inventory limit?"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
getting three perfects on winchester's game is going to be a trial

flight items are few and far between

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I think my favorite gun has to be the Scrambler. That thing can carry you for quite a while.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Oxxidation posted:

smh if you cheat to get them :(

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up

Oxxidation posted:

https://youtu.be/IvaRsBs166c

Here you go

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

precision posted:

smh if you cheat to get them :(

i got my first one legit and that is already more than enough to satisfy my conscience

i ran with cheatengine for this game's first year, i am mad and bad and dangerous to know

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!
Had a crazy rear end rainbow run with the robot. Ended up with clone and a ton of spice among other things. Absolutely destroyed the lich!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzZTkBJU6Ac

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Nice kill. You were pretty close to getting into one hit KO territory!

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

So started to try and get Into the game for the first time since it came out. Are there varying drop percentages based on starting character?

I was playing with the hunter for a while and I was lucky getting one key/heart drop a floor even with the dog. Switched over to the pilot and I get a stupid amount of drops now. Still cant get past the stage four boss reliably and no where near the dragun, but it's a start.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

So started to try and get Into the game for the first time since it came out. Are there varying drop percentages based on starting character?

I was playing with the hunter for a while and I was lucky getting one key/heart drop a floor even with the dog. Switched over to the pilot and I get a stupid amount of drops now. Still cant get past the stage four boss reliably and no where near the dragun, but it's a start.

Nope, they're the same for all the starting characters but there are some items that increase drop percentage. There's a hidden stat called "cool" that both increases the drop rate and decreases the cooldown on active items. It's possible you had one of those, but much more likely you just had a lucky run.

Each room has a percentage to drop that goes up each time you don't get a drop, so it's semi-randomized and you can get a lucky set of early drops that really smooths out the whole run.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!

BaconCopter posted:

Nice kill. You were pretty close to getting into one hit KO territory!

Gilded bullets might have been enough to OHK.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
You're all wrong, the best gun is Casey :colbert:

e: I have, on multiple occasions, instantly decided "this is a Casey Run now" upon finding that thing early on, and gone on to kill the Dragun and everything leading up to it using Casey and only Casey. That baseball bat absolutely loving rules, it is the best weapon in the game and also the most fun to use

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I just got to the Cam Clarke cameo without it having been spoiled for me. That was good stuff. It was on a rainbow run so I only had a few guns with no ammo left though- that mode is a little shaky and not as fun as it should be, yeah?

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Nope, they're the same for all the starting characters but there are some items that increase drop percentage. There's a hidden stat called "cool" that both increases the drop rate and decreases the cooldown on active items. It's possible you had one of those, but much more likely you just had a lucky run.

Each room has a percentage to drop that goes up each time you don't get a drop, so it's semi-randomized and you can get a lucky set of early drops that really smooths out the whole run.

It's actually been like, ten runs in a row. All excellent drop rates of ammo and keys and such. Switch back to Hunter and garbage drop rates.

Wtf

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
The high caliber + any invuln item loving wrecks bosses, you just stand next to them and fire and the soul spawns right on you doing alot of damage.

Edit: Actually i think you need the holey grail with the high kaliber to get the souls to come to you.

Destro fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 15, 2019

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
alien engine + the boots that prevent knockback + invuln are good for melting bosses too

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Potion of Lead Skin is honestly pretty OP for its rarity level/shop cost

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

precision posted:

Potion of Lead Skin is honestly pretty OP for its rarity level/shop cost

So is double vision and gun friendship as well. Browns are not that bad to open if you've already opened the gun chest.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Had a run that got Junkan early, leveled him up to 7 and finally unlocked him, but didn't go the distance. Feels bad knowing he'll be pretty rare from now on.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up

Atoramos posted:

Had a run that got Junkan early, leveled him up to 7 and finally unlocked him, but didn't go the distance. Feels bad knowing he'll be pretty rare from now on.

Tbh Junkan is fun, but I don't think he's worth losing all the chests considering you need 7 junk to fully upgrade him. So that's 7 + chests, probably more like 10+ cause not all of them will drop junk. That said I usually try and upgrade him if I get him early just for fun.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

If you get Junkan it is now a Junkan run, all chests are forfeit. They knew the risks.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It would be easier to ignore Ser Junken if he wasn't so drat cute :3:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I would swear coolness is bugged. I've had runs with 0 room clear chests after smoking a dozen times/with the sixth chamber. Room clear chests seem super rare right now in general.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Destro posted:

Tbh Junkan is fun, but I don't think he's worth losing all the chests considering you need 7 junk to fully upgrade him. So that's 7 + chests, probably more like 10+ cause not all of them will drop junk. That said I usually try and upgrade him if I get him early just for fun.

Its such a drat shame that its almost impossible to get Ser Junken on rainbow runs.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

No Wave posted:

I would swear coolness is bugged. I've had runs with 0 room clear chests after smoking a dozen times/with the sixth chamber. Room clear chests seem super rare right now in general.

I usually no hit the entire first three floors and still see maybe one blue chest. It feels like it's always been that way though

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I knew the chamber gun generally got better with every floor, but good lord is the bullet hell version ludicrously overpowered. It's basically an extremely ammo efficient version of the abyssal tentacle that also does extremely high damage.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Einwand posted:

I knew the chamber gun generally got better with every floor, but good lord is the bullet hell version ludicrously overpowered. It's basically an extremely ammo efficient version of the abyssal tentacle that also does extremely high damage.

The bullet hell chamber gun is easily one of the best guns in the game. The damage output is utterly mind blowing and can easily break the Lich's DPS cap with some damage increases.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

No Wave posted:

I've been getting one on the first floor with the pilot consistently now for five runs, but not with other characters. This without any items but the starters.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

How are Hegemony credits calculated?
Sometimes I'll kill a boss and get 1, sometimes I get like 12.

I assume it increases as you go lower but I can't figure out a pattern.

Also, I can't get Bowler to show up (on Switch). His cell has never popped up at all.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

How are Hegemony credits calculated?
Sometimes I'll kill a boss and get 1, sometimes I get like 12.

I assume it increases as you go lower but I can't figure out a pattern.

Also, I can't get Bowler to show up (on Switch). His cell has never popped up at all.

I know it doubles credits if you no-hit, other than that I think it's random. The wiki has 1-3 for floor 1, 1-4 for 2/Oubliette, 2-5 for 3/Abbey/4 and no info for the other places.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Don't you also get way more Credits than usual if it's your first time killing that specific boss? I swear it seemed that way since like I said I started my save file over a few months ago

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Unlocked all the alternate guns. Rainbow mode has been a fun way to revisit this

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

precision posted:

Don't you also get way more Credits than usual if it's your first time killing that specific boss? I swear it seemed that way since like I said I started my save file over a few months ago

That could be it, I had the game on PS4 initially and when I bought the Switch version I had a LOT more credits than I was used to seeing possibly for this reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

FINALLY beat the Lich as the Gunslinger.

Tho I will say, Yari Launcher + Holey Grail makes the game almost impossible to lose.