Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Strontosaurus posted:

I read the whole thing when I was 10 because I wasn't allowed to see R-rated movies, but it was perfectly fine to read the same content.
My parents used that same logic when Jurassic Park came out when I was, like 9. They said I couldn't see the movie until after I read the book - joke's on them, if the book had been adapted faithfully it would have been a hard-R movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

s.i.r.e. posted:

lol, they can read because they have Ripley's DNA, the DNA that allows humans to read English. :lol:

That really is stupid.

It's somehow even worse than Whedon's script for the film this novelization is based on.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Slutitution posted:

It's somehow even worse than Whedon's script for the film this novelization is based on.
Hmm, are you sure it isn’t in the original script? The novelizations of Alien/Aliens include scenes that were cut or never even shot for the movies because the books were based on the scripts.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

the alien drone Gediman punished posted:

He could see the color of its emotions, whether it was hot or cold, and whether it felt pain or fear. He could see it felt fear of the warrior—but not enough. Especially not now that it proved it could hurt the warrior. The “Gediman” radiated the color of pride, of accomplishment.

I will remember that color when I come for you.
And I will come for you.

The Gediman’s body would be building materials for the crčche. Once it was secured there, the warrior would decide if it would serve as food for the Queen, or if it was suitable to bear her young, or even if it would serve as food for the young. He could decide, even, if Gediman should bear young and also be its first meal.

And since you have hurt me and taken pleasure in it, I will decide to do with you whatever will keep you alive the longest.

The warrior would watch until the Gediman’s pride melted away, and with it every emotion it ever had, until there was nothing left but fear, an all-encompassing fear like the Gediman had never known.

The main characters (Ripley, and all the aliens) live with ghosts in their heads who quote lines from the previous films at them:

quote:

Ripley curled up tight within her shadow and stared into the darkness, trying not to let the young woman’s words touch her. She was tired, so very tired—But she didn’t dare sleep.

I don’t wanna sleep, a small, thin voice said in her head. I have scary dreams.

Who had said that? Ripley couldn’t remember, but the memory stabbed like a knife.

<snip>

Its structural perfection is matched only by its hostility. Ripley could not recall who had said that to her or when, but she remembered it, nonetheless. It filled her with a crushing sadness.

<snip>

The warrior watched the changing emotions of the two humans who stood with their backs to him and his brothers. Another warrior stood at his side, while alone in the back of the cage sat the third—the smallest of the three. The second warrior paced nervously, but the first stood his ground, watching, waiting. He eyed the red button, now unnoticed by the humans.

The humans were upset, worried, nervous. Their colors were flaring, whatever was causing their concern still ongoing. There were strange sounds out there, voices, loud meaningless noise, flashing lights. It was interesting, but it wasn’t about to distract the warrior from his primary objective.

There had to be a way to turn the humans’ unexpected problem to their advantage.

A memory came to him. From the Mother.

I don’t know which species is worse… You don’t see them loving each other over…

It was not his memory, and he was not sure what all of it meant. But there was meaning there, something for him to learn. He considered…

Lastly, Vriess's first encounter with the aliens, while he's grabbing parts for the Betty:

quote:

Then, it was back, he could hear it—or could it be a different one? This one was more aggressive, not just scrabbling around the ceiling, but trying to get through it. Suddenly, it broke a comer of the tiling free and shoved its head through. And it was all head, a huge, elongated, nightmare head with no eyes, no ears, no hair, just skull and—

TEETH!
Gigantic, steel fangs, millions of them in a huge maw hissing right at him! Then its mouth opened wide, and something came out and—and—
THERE WERE MORE TEETH!

Vriess cracked finally and screamed hysterically. His finger squeezed the trigger. He fired, and fired, and fired.

The thing with teeth screamed back at him and exploded into a million fragments, all of them raining down on the berserk Vriess.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MrMojok posted:

I think the idea here is that since the Queen came from Ripley, and has her DNA, it can read. But seems like this also means all queens who came from humans can read. And their offspring can too.

I can honestly see what they were going for. A big running thing in Resurrection is that Ripley 8 is part xenomorph and the Queen is part human, as a result of their DNA getting jumbled up in the cloning process (hence Ripley acting weird and being hypersensitive to the xenomorphs, and the Queen giving live birth to the Newborn); the Ripley 8-derived xenomorphs all being smarter, to a near-human level, tracks with that just fine.

Them being able to read and understand English is a mad clunky way to handle that, but... meh.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Also I just rewatched Resurrection and... it's fine?

Like, I really don't get the hate.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I can honestly see what they were going for. A big running thing in Resurrection is that Ripley 8 is part xenomorph and the Queen is part human, as a result of their DNA getting jumbled up in the cloning process (hence Ripley acting weird and being hypersensitive to the xenomorphs, and the Queen giving live birth to the Newborn); the Ripley 8-derived xenomorphs all being smarter, to a near-human level, tracks with that just fine.

Them being able to read and understand English is a mad clunky way to handle that, but... meh.

That's totally fair. And I want to add that there were little bits of this that I liked, that did work for me.

(I'm hoping this post gets me out of being sued by the author, who is almost certainly a goon)

I also want to add that when I said the main characters are Ripley and the various aliens, including the queen, I am 100% serious.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I rewatched it yesterday. The longer version on the Alien bluray collection. It's a hell of a lot better than the novelization.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I don't hate A:R. I think all 6 films have their merit.

Pierre's direction, the design of the film, and that great cast make it watchable. Whedon's script is total dogshit, though.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

It's mainly about Alien and Aliens being hard acts to follow. The first two films in the series rank among the greatest films ever made. Ressurection is merely entertaining.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

MrMojok posted:

That's totally fair. And I want to add that there were little bits of this that I liked, that did work for me.

(I'm hoping this post gets me out of being sued by the author, who is almost certainly a goon)

I also want to add that when I said the main characters are Ripley and the various aliens, including the queen, I am 100% serious.

The author of the novelization? I believe that's Ann Crispin, and she passed away several years ago.

If you like the characters from Resurrection, there was a pseudo-sequel book called 'Aliens: Original Sin' that carried on with the same characters.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Resurrection is kind of like a Dark Horse Aliens comic brought to the screen. But with a lot quippier dialog. I don't love it like the holy trinity that came before but I always enjoy it.

Whether you like the film or not you have to admire the scene where they have to swim through the kitchen. The actors and crew all went through a lot of poo poo for a month to film that, and the behind the scenes stuff about the sequence is wild.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Xenomrph posted:

The author of the novelization? I believe that's Ann Crispin, and she passed away several years ago.

If you like the characters from Resurrection, there was a pseudo-sequel book called 'Aliens: Original Sin' that carried on with the same characters.

I was being facetious about that. And I apologize to the memory of Ann Crispin, and her estate.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

david_a posted:

Hmm, are you sure it isn’t in the original script? The novelizations of Alien/Aliens include scenes that were cut or never even shot for the movies because the books were based on the scripts.

Nah, that stuff wasnt in the script.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The concept is good but the author is just so, so bad at the wordcraft to evoke it. The Terminator novelization was so much better at getting into the theory of mind and thought processes of an alien being (in the sense of something utterly inhuman).

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

McSpanky posted:

The Terminator novelization
Which one? There are two. :v:

No really, that movie had two novelizations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I always forget about that! The one by Randall Frakes I believe, I don't have my copy handy to check at the moment.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

McSpanky posted:

I always forget about that! The one by Randall Frakes I believe, I don't have my copy handy to check at the moment.

The story behind that is great, too. If i remember right, Sean Hutson had been contracted to do the novelization of the movie, but at the time, Cameron had been sleeping on Randall Frakes' couch. Cameron forgot that 'The Terminator' already had an author writing the novelization and offered the gig to Frakes as a personal favor, and then the Hutson one came out first and Cameron said "uhhhh, whoops!" and requested that all copies be pulled off shelves in favor of the Frakes one that came out afterward.

I've got both versions, they're both neat in their own way. I haven't read them in forever, but I remember the Hutson one being a lot darker and more violent.

Randall Frakes went on to do the novelization for the second movie, as well.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Slutitution posted:

Whedon's script is total dogshit, though.

I think A:R is pretty much evidence that Whedon's style works totally fine under two conditions: it has to suit the premise, and the actors have to be good enough to make it feel like old friends busting each others' balls and not On-Point Quips.

Ersatz posted:

It's mainly about Alien and Aliens being hard acts to follow. The first two films in the series rank among the greatest films ever made. Ressurection is merely entertaining.

Yeah this is pretty much on target.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I can’t stand when people play the “only two good alien movies” poo poo. Honestly they’re all good in one way or another. I’d rather watch Alien Resurrection than a Star Wars prequel.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i agree. i think (from the snippets) that it's mostly the bad writing just doesn't sell the idea at all. like, using the word 'read' to describe an action that it doesn't really constitute a concious act of reading isn't quite right - especially with the alien. i honestly don't mind the idea that a xeno with a hosed up genetic history looks at squiggly alphanumeric shapes and understands the meaning inherent to those shapes, even if they don't recognise it as 'writing' or 'text'. but writing "the alien read the nametag" makes it extremely prosaic and uninteresting. oh the alien can read now. cool i guess.

also i think alien writing better have drat few sequences that are from the alien's perspective, cuz it's a minefield

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

CelticPredator posted:

I can’t stand when people play the “only two good alien movies” poo poo. Honestly they’re all good in one way or another. I’d rather watch Alien Resurrection than a Star Wars prequel.

Alien: Resurrection has more merit and artistic value than 90% of big Hollywood movies today. I just wish the characterization was better, especially with that uniquely dope cast.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Slutitution posted:

Alien: Resurrection has more merit and artistic value than 90% of big Hollywood movies today. I just wish the characterization was better, especially with that uniquely dope cast.

Like I alluded to earlier, I think the characterization is actually fine. Elgyn's the only character who doesn't come off as very well-sketched, and that's mostly because he dies too quickly for us to see much of him.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They’re all proto versions of the serenity crew. Elgyn is Mal, Johnner and Christie are Jane, Viers is sort of Simon, Call is River.

Hilliard would probably be Irana. I don’t think anyone is a Kaylee.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

CelticPredator posted:

It's not about there being only 2 good films, but like someone else said, Alien (and Aliens but to a lesser extent) is one of the greatest sci-fi and horror films ever, none of the sequels will ever live up to that.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t see why that really matters.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

You don't see how a series with two groundbreaking films will always be compared to those two?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I see it. But I think it’s boring. Everyone knows how good those movies are. Doesn’t mean the others aren’t also good too.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

But it does mean that the others aren’t also not good also as well, does it not?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

All alien movies are good.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CelticPredator posted:

I don’t see why that really matters.

It's mostly just a way of squaring the circle between Resurrection being "the bad one" of the first four (and it is, it's definitely a step down from 1-3) and also being a pretty fun movie on its own. If it weren't for the comparison, people would probably look more kindly on it, the way people love stuff like Blade and Deep Rising that's absolutely in the same vein.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Also, side note, but seeing Ron Perlman young-ish is strange.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

They’re all proto versions of the serenity crew. Elgyn is Mal, Johnner and Christie are Jane, Viers is sort of Simon, Call is River.

Hilliard would probably be Irana. I don’t think anyone is a Kaylee.

People always say this but theyre not really similar at all outside of "a group of people in a spaceship" Like Johnner and Christie are the closest to Jane because they're all big guys with guns and then....Vriess is the doctor? How? Elgyn is not particularly plucky or heroic like Mal (whos supposed to be Han Solo)... but hes the leader and he sleeps with Wash?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i think its their ragtag mercenary quippy tone thats the most proto-firefly and also the part of the film largely at odds with the body horror in the rest of it. honestly if the whole thing felt tonally a bit more nihilistic and maybe dreamier in a david lynch kinda way? itd be more well regarded i think

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The script is incredibly loving bad and aside from Call the crew are all unrepentant monsters who should have been murdered by a Xenomorph.

They sell people to the army to be used as experiments.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

The script is incredibly loving bad and aside from Call the crew are all unrepentant monsters who should have been murdered by a Xenomorph.

They sell people to the army to be used as experiments.

haha i do forget about that. not exactly heroic material really

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
They're also extremely sexist towards Call.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

MrMojok posted:

Skip the novelization of Resurrection. Don’t even think about it. It is probably the worst bit of Aliens fiction I’ve read, and that includes some fanfic.
See, all I'm hearing here is that you're sitting on a Let's Read goldmine, and look, you've basically already started...

Slutitution posted:

I don't hate A:R. I think all 6 films have their merit.

Pierre's direction, the design of the film, and that great cast make it watchable.
The fashion. I remember seeing some posts somewhere about this but no idea where to find them

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I think I've made this same post around 6 times in this thread, but as much as I hate Whedon, people are reading his script through a lens of what already exists as opposed to having read it before the movie came out. The "idea" of the script was to create a John Woo action vehicle with aliens, which could have been amazingly ridiculous if it captured the tone of a, say, Face/Off. It's just that the script, instead, got filtered through opposing visions, which resulted in something really, really, tonally weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

banned from Starbucks posted:

People always say this but theyre not really similar at all outside of "a group of people in a spaceship" Like Johnner and Christie are the closest to Jane because they're all big guys with guns and then....Vriess is the doctor? How? Elgyn is not particularly plucky or heroic like Mal (whos supposed to be Han Solo)... but hes the leader and he sleeps with Wash?

Prototype my dude.