Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Tormund and Beric are going to low key save the whole world and it's going to be loving badass.

Don't forget Night Watch Commander Dolores Edd :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Xanderkish posted:

Bran's wheelchair shenanigans reminds me of Resident Evil 7 where this old lady in a wheelchair keeps showing up in a bunch of different places even though we never see anyone move

Personally I think this can't be a coincidence and they're setting up the reveal that Bran is also a big pile of villainous mold.

Does he have the same kind of plot armor, because I tried shooting her every time I saw her only to have the game not let me.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Captain Magic posted:

They should put up a toll stop.

Someone's going to have to go back and get a shitload of dimes.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Great episode, as others have said it was basically a 50 minute recap but given how rapidly they're checking off checkboxes (Jon rides a dragon, all the reunions, Theon has already rescued Yara ffs) I think the pace is only gonna increase rapidly from here so I'm okay with this being an episode of mostly slower moments.

All the reunion scenes were really well acted, and thankfully there wasn't anything dumb like the whole weird Arya/Sansa feud being played up for fake drama.

Can't wait to see how this poo poo ends, I am all in, Game of Throne's is back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (wolf Howl)

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Darko posted:

The biggest example is that book Brienne couldn't find the Stark girls but met both of them almost immediately on looking in the show. That was a "cute" change at the time, but then EVERYTHING started happening as convenient as possible like that.

My counterpoint to this is that having Brienne wander around for like a book trying unsuccessfully to find two characters whose locations we know only to have it end on a cliffhanger ending is worse than something contrived happening so the plot can move forward.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
What's the third new illustration on the astrolabe in the intro? First two are the Red Wedding and dragons burnin' poo poo in ... Astapor? I think? The third one looks like it has four dragons and a comet.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Xanderkish posted:

My counterpoint to this is that having Brienne wander around for like a book trying unsuccessfully to find two characters whose locations we know only to have it end on a cliffhanger ending is worse than something contrived happening so the plot can move forward.

I complained about that too and hated those sections of the book (I liked how it showed the perspective of regular townsfolk but also was annoyed in reading futile quests), but there is a nice middle ground between the two.

This isn't a love/hate dichotomy either, but just describing the difference in feel between the shows start and now. I still think its fun, just a different type of fun.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I do wonder who's going to be the first "Big" death now.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

rip lil bear king too pure for these thrones

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

bobjr posted:

I do wonder who's going to be the first "Big" death now.

Surprised we didn't get any in the first episode. Really thought Beric and Tormund were gonna bite it for a moment there because I assumed someone had to die.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Darko posted:

I complained about that too and hated those sections of the book, but there is a nice middle ground between the two.

This isn't a love/hate dichotomy either, but just describing the difference in feel between the shows start and now. I still think its fun, just a different type of fun.

Oh, no worries. We're all just folks yakking about a show, here.

I was curiously less-hyped for this season than previous seasons. I dunno if that's just because I've changed a lot in 9 years, if it's hard to sustain maximal interest in a show for 9 years, if the drat year and a half break took something out of my enthusiasm, or if I'm still thinking about how last season had an episode dedicated to a World of Warcraft raid. I'm still having fun, but I feel like I'm missing something that used to be there.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

what the gently caress is this dialogue lmfao???

the skewered kid scene was the most surprising thing for the past couple seasons. good scene with all the wildlings too.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
So they're loudly foreshadowing that Arya is going to be the one to down the undead dragon.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

the dialogue ppl they have are almost certainly lifting poo poo from a fic they wrote back when they were a book fans

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

fishing with the fam posted:

Surprised we didn't get any in the first episode. Really thought Beric and Tormund were gonna bite it for a moment there because I assumed someone had to die.

Nothing ever happens in GoT season premieres, besides the pilot

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Lycus posted:

So they're loudly foreshadowing that Arya is going to be the one to down the undead dragon.

What makes you say that? The weapon she's having Gendry make?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Yeah I was expecting something like that as a "Final Season no one is safe" thing, but I hope they don't just put all that stuff in the final 2 episodes.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I don't think anyone wants the show to go as the pace of the books.

But drat, a lot of uncomfortable meetings in that episode. I completely forgot about Sam finding out about his Father and Brother, that's rough and will probably wreck Sam, but he's not going to do something stupid.

Sansa is basically Cersei at this point, but with less murder so far.

As others have said, they checked a bunch of important stuff off. None of it was surprising, so actually makes sense to do it now so they can concentrate on the unexpected stuff.

Thormund and Delorious Ed being buds! Also that poo poo was creepy as gently caress at Last Hearth. RIP Baby Umber.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Lycus posted:

They're loudly foreshadowing a lot of things at this point :v:

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Did we ever find out why the white walkers communicate exclusively in mandalas made of corpses?

It is meant as a meditation on the impermanent nature of existence and the centrality of death to the workings of the universe. You may not have known this but the White Walkers have a rich cultural and religious tradition.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I thought that was mostly wheel spinning and reunions, the Yara+Theon stuff especially was insulting : they clearly just needed Yara out of the way for a while and wanted to squeeze another redemption arc into Theons story even though it’s an obvious repeat again.

Also the Arya “Sansa is the smartest person I know” line was totally bizarre and off the wall, why are the Starks feuding again? It’s super manufactured drama.

The only drama came from the Bronn and the end, kinda. It doesn’t make sense that Bronn would stay in the city and it doesn’t make sense that Cersei would higher him to kill either of his two friends so it totally made sense that she was gonna try to assassinate him....but that didn’t happen. Who knows.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Lycus posted:

can you even wear the face of a dragon??

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mike N Eich posted:

I thought that was mostly wheel spinning and reunions, the Yara+Theon stuff especially was insulting : they clearly just needed Yara out of the way for a while and wanted to squeeze another redemption arc into Theons story even though it’s an obvious repeat again.

It's amazing they shat all over his redemption arc last season so it could result in this. :effort:

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It's amazing they shat all over his redemption arc last season so it could result in this. :effort:

Wasn't the climax of his redemption arc last season that someone tried to kick him in the nuts but it turns out he doesn't have nuts and therefore attained victory.

Sometimes I feel like I'm watching some kind of quantum show where half the time it's this extremely deep and complicated narrative and then the other half is just beautiful stupid.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Yeah, really, what was the point? Her capture didn't serve any narrative purpose, so, uh, huh?

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I thought Theon rescue was too fast too but I also thought Cersei loving Euron was pretty fast, who the hell is saying nothing happened this ep.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I just realized Mac from Always Sunny gets his eye shot out on the boat.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

I was certain there was going to be a fight scene, at least. I figured a bunch of wights surrounding them were going to get up when the kid started screaming.

ShakeZula posted:

What makes you say that? The weapon she's having Gendry make?

Yeah, they're focusing on her having a special weapon made, so it's going to have a special purpose.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Apr 15, 2019

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

If Euron had a dog and told his guards to take off their shirts theres no way Yara would have been rescued.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Why were they even bothering to go deep enough into the keep to find the Smallestjon's body? It's not like they have to solve a mystery about what happened

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Matt Zerella posted:

I just realized Mac from Always Sunny gets his eye shot out on the boat.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Why were they even bothering to go deep enough into the keep to find the Smallestjon's body? It's not like they have to solve a mystery about what happened

Cause it looks cool, duh!

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

How did I not notice that was Mac? He finally got his cameo. I wonder if Charlie gets one.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I cant wait to find out what happens on the next episode of Game of Thrones. See you next week, everybody!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

This episode had more balls jokes than AC/DC. Also I hope Varys gets to do something interesting, not lost in the ol' shuffle.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Captain Magic posted:

They should put up a toll stop.

Someone go back and a get a poo poo load of dimes!

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Jon gonna kill Dany

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I wonder if they are gonna address the whole Lord of Light actually granting real powers thing by the end. It was one of the more interesting questions in the book.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Heavy Metal posted:

This episode had more balls jokes than AC/DC. Also I hope Varys gets to do something interesting, not lost in the ol' shuffle.

Speaking of lost in the shuffle: I totally expect Melisandre to show up just to get killed by Varys. At least it'll give him something to do.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Escobarbarian posted:

Did a hooker just proposition Qyburn

What the gently caress is this episode

Who else are they going to proposition? With Bronn leaving, there are only two men left in King’s Landing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

that episode was a solid "1 episode out of a 6 episode season they spent doing nothing interesting other than trying to make arya smile and laid"

the preview for the next episode looks interesting though so there's that.