Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

WHAT IS THIS SERIES?

EDIT: Update on the previous page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

algebra testes posted:

If we beat the loving Rays in the WS I don't know what the gently caress

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Sanchez has been lights-out for us, right? Like starting him at home has to be a gimme, right?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
What the gently caress is this universe and how do we get there from our current one? :psyduck:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Game 4 box score
Game 4 log

what a loving baseball game

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Goddamn

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
:stare: what in the goddamn gently caress

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Ahahahaha, this is ridiculous.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

8 innings? Holy poo poo. What have we done?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
This is gonna be the shortest OOTP LP ever.

Someone send this thread to Jeter.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Game 5 box score
Game 5 log

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

WHAT THE gently caress

We... did it? :confuoot:

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I nominate we call our star 1st baseman "The Big Tuna"

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

zapplez posted:

I was thinking “Hammerhead” but I also like this.

Also now we have leverage to rebuild the dinger machine

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Well, that was unexpected. This is probably the least talented human-controlled team I've seen win a series, other than the sub-500 Royals team that bumbled its way through the playoffs in...OOTP 14 or something (I still remember it, it was so bad).

The reason? What must surely be the greatest playoff pitching performance of the modern era:

We did this without our staff ace. Someone should calculate our team ERA and WHIP. I don't think I've ever seen a pitching performance like this from a team that didn't have a Maddux/Glavine/Smoltz kind of staff.

Jeets sent this to us this morning.

Later that day, we got an ESPN alert:

Um...hmm. Looks like the market for fat guys with big bats just went through the roof. Adam Dunn is somewhere polishing his resume.

zapplez posted:

YES

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I was just going to say that this is the worst timeline because it vindicates JEETS

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Well time to tear it all down and start the rebuild.

As I'd tradition.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2020 Offseason

This figures to be a big offseason for us. We won the series, but we still have a lot of holes to fill, and some rule changes to deal with.

First, we saw the new DH rule in the NL.

The 40 man roster is now a 42 man roster.

And our ballpark renovations are going down. Here's what Jeets decided to go with: a new 4,000 person grandstand in left field, and lower walls all around. This gives us a pretty short porch in left: 330 feet, with a 7 foot wall. Righty power bats should see a surge in HRs.

VOTE

Arbitrations, Options and Extensions

Arbitration seems pretty straightforward this year. Buxton andJT Riddle are both in line for middling pay increases, and Ryan McMahon is in line for ~2.2m. These are all no brainers for me.

Randal Grichuk is our only free agent, and he's a non-compensation. He wants a TON of money...basically our entire remaining budget (9/203). I say...lol, good luck man. Thanks for helping us win the series.

Chris Archer is our only option, and him at $11m is a straight up bargain. This will be his last year though: try and extend Archer? If so, what ballpark figures?

We also may want to consider buying out arbitration years for Ryan McMahon, Jamie Callahan, or Nick Gordon. Gordon would be my choice...he's looking like a potential star 2B, and can play quality SS as well.

We hosed this up: our pitching coach, the guy who got the most ever out of the least, is expired. We're going to drive a dump truck full of money up to Mel Stottlmeyer Srs house, and beg him to come back.

Salary list

Free Agency

We have around $27m to spend in free agency this year, and it is an underwhelming group. I'd say our weaknesses are one COF position and arguably one SP spot. Other than that, we don't have any major holes to fill. We may take a look at a cheap right power bat to DH, in case our 20 year old Mexican Frank Thomas (discussed below) turns out to be a pumpkin.

Free Agent list

Prospects

Daniel Cerda will probably be ready for a look at the bigs this year. He's a plus glove at both 2B and SS, and has 900+ OPS potential. He's still got a ways to go with the bat, but he's looking like at least a replacement level SS this year. Do we service time gently caress him? JT Riddle is a reasonably solid SS in the interim.

Esteban "El Gran Dolor" Ochoa is also probably ready for a ML look, despite his knee injury last year. What that cost him was a chance to get used to playing the OF. So...he might be a perfect fit as our new DH. Unfortunately, since he got hurt while on the ML roster, we blew a year of eligibility on him, so we can't gently caress him on service time. The only reason to keep him down would be for legitimate developmental purposes.

Other prospects aren't ready yet.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I was just going to say that this is the worst timeline because it vindicates JEETS

Not true. We got returns on our trades.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Fire-sell everyone making more than 5 million dollars a season

pretty sure this is the only legal marlins vote after a championship

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

loving Marlins Wild Card magic. Now to completely scrap the team and go into rebuilding, so that we don't win a world series for another 17 years.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Are we even in the conversation with Bauer?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

algebra testes posted:

And/or Kluber?

I'm not sure what to do with our outfield situation. I want to believe Grichuk's year was an aberration and that most of the other guys on the FA list are probably just as good for much less. There's definitely no "Yes obviously" names on there for the outfield, so maybe we just watch the block and hope something silly hits Rule 5?

As for buyouts, I'm less concerned about position players as I am Sanchez, Sims, and Pablo Lopez. There's obviously the risk of their arms falling off, but they all project to hit double-digit arb numbers and that makes me nervous. With Sims it's probably worth seeing how his injury recovery goes, but the other two, I dunno. Not enough to really pop a proposal about, but something to think about in the coming year.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

bewbies posted:

We did this without our staff ace. Someone should calculate our team ERA and WHIP. I don't think I've ever seen a pitching performance like this from a team that didn't have a Maddux/Glavine/Smoltz kind of staff.

A 1.48 team ERA with a 0.859 team WHIP. :stare:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

TheFlyingLlama posted:

You know what you must do.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Are SELLING

Doolittle
Archer
Kepler
Hamamura?

It is...the Marlin way.

I have to admit I am rather attached to Hamamura.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

I'm not happy with this fire sale. drat Jeets, we already don't have any money. Why do you gotta give us even less?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

bewbies posted:

Are SELLING

Doolittle
Archer
Kepler
Hamamura?

It is...the Marlin way.

I have to admit I am rather attached to Hamamura.

DO NOT

Our goal is to fix this mess, not allow it to continue.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

only 4 guys? that's not much of a firesale, might need to lower it to 2.5

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Any traditional targets for DH ? I want fat power.

edit:

I'd love to get Khris Davis.

Jose Abreu if he is cheapish.

Marcell Ozuna possible for COF?

Jake Odour-easy for SP if we can get him fairly cheap

I like Puig but don't see him in the budget.

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Apr 15, 2019

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Nah, don't sell anyone. Jokes aside, I want to see this crazy-rear end team can get lightning in a bottle twice somehow.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Buyout possibilities:

Lucas Sims: 7/126, with TO the last season

Ryan McMahon: 6/60

Nick Gordon: 6/36

Any of these interesting?

Hamamura won Rookie of the Year (at age 27 lol) and Mattingly won manager of the year. Juan Soto won his second straight MVP.

A few VERY interesting international free agents entered the market as well:

Yukihiko "Muscles" Miyamoto is Japan's greatest hitter. Pete thinks he could OPS over a 1.000 in the majors (310/400/650), with 50 HR power. He has a plus plus arm, but a middling glove and range. He wants 9/222 (AAV 24.6mm), but we could...maybe squeeze him down a bit. He's affordable, in any case.

Yukata Okamoto isn't far behind. He looks like a 280/380/550 kind of hitter, with a decent glove in either corner. He's asking 9/128 (AAV 14.2m).

Both of these Japanese sluggers are 28, and are lefties.

It is a golden age of Japanese power hitters.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 15, 2019

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Do it.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

bewbies posted:

Buyout possibilities:

Lucas Sims: 7/126, with TO the last season

Ryan McMahon: 6/60

Nick Gordon: 6/36

Any of these interesting?

Hamamura won Rookie of the Year (at age 27 lol) and Mattingly won manager of the year. Juan Soto won his second straight MVP.

A few VERY interesting international free agents entered the market as well:

Yukihiko "Muscles" Miyamoto is Japan's greatest hitter. Pete thinks he could OPS over a 1.000 in the majors (310/400/650), with 50 HR power. He has a plus plus arm, but a middling glove and range. He wants 9/222 (AAV 24.6mm), but we could...maybe squeeze him down a bit. He's affordable, in any case.

Yukata Okamoto isn't far behind. He looks like a 280/380/550 kind of hitter, with a decent glove in either corner. He's asking 9/128 (AAV 14.2m).

Both of these Japanese sluggers are 28, and are lefties.

It is a golden age of Japanese power hitters.

Gordon seems like it might be a good one, but I really feel like we'd be massively overpaying the other two.

I wouldn't be upset with Okamoto. We could probably make a bid for Miyamoto, but that's pretty spendy even if we manage to lowball him some. I mean, those numbers are certainly worth superstar money, but I don't think we have it... do we?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

rickiep00h posted:

Gordon seems like it might be a good one, but I really feel like we'd be massively overpaying the other two.

I wouldn't be upset with Okamoto. We could probably make a bid for Miyamoto, but that's pretty spendy even if we manage to lowball him some. I mean, those numbers are certainly worth superstar money, but I don't think we have it... do we?

We actually have $32 mil available this offseason, but that will go down quickly the next few years as our young guys hit arbitration.

This is after paying Pit Bull his $10 mil.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Can I say.

It would be really funny to Marlins it and fire sale again to see how long it takes to rebuild.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

Go for Muscles if we can afford him

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Extend Gordon and continue signing/trading for as many international players as possible

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

algebra testes posted:

He wants 10/425.

That said, he's been the best pitcher in baseball the last 2 years, and he's 29. Who is the last FA we've seen like that?

edit - he signed with the barves for 7/266 (38mm AAV) with an opt out after year 2.

Good news: we extended Nick Gordon for 7/77. Good deal on a good young player.

Bad news: we've been priced out of both Japanese superstar OFs.

Fallback options are:

Starling Marte (expensive)
Hunter Renfroe (not bad, cheap)
Jorge Soler (bad glove, good bat, cheap)

Or, we could let it ride and see what comes out in RULE 5...

bewbies fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

RULE 5