Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Welcome to Out of the Park Baseball!

Last year's thread.

About the Game

Out of the Park is almost certainly the most detailed and accurate sports management sim (NOT GAME) out there right now. It is made by baseball nerds, for baseball nerds, with all of the absurd detail level you'd expect from a team of computer programmers who love baseball. Note: if you love baseball, or management-style games, or both, you should give it a try.

In this thread base ball goons will manage a fake Major League Baseball team through the POWER OF DEMOCRACY. Last year, this worked out great: either myself, another poster, our our super scout Pete Ward proposed a course of action, we'd all vote on it, and put it into play. Baseball goons in general are smart and well informed about the sport and made consistently good decisions, with a few...bad ones thrown in here and there. A few things to keep in mind:

- We'll vote on a team strategy, so try and keep suggested proposals in-line with what we're trying to do. It doesn't HAVE to be, but strategies are strategies for a reason.

- We are the GM, and only the GM. This means our job is to implement an overall team strategy, hire/fire the manager and coaches, and manage the roster and team finances. Team tactics, like lineups, pitching rotations and so on, are handled by the manager that we hire.

- The game is hard. The trading AI is difficult to the point of obnoxiousness, player performance can vary wildly, and INJURIES after INJURIES. In other words, it is just like real life.

How This Will Work

I'm planning to run the sim three days a week, running two months of the season each time. This means we'll finish roughly a season a week. I'll adjust this if necessary, but this seems about right to me. I will post image updates in this thread, plus upload all of the relevant game files for everyone to browse. League website will be HERE.

Anyone can participate! You all are the GM. All you need to do make a PROPOSAL on something that we should do with our team. If a couple of people support your PROPOSAL, I will do my best to make it happen in-game. To support or reject a PROPOSAL, just quote it, and vote aye or nay. If a PROPOSAL gets a net three votes, I'll try and make it happen.

PROPOSALS can be just about anything. The more specific you are, the more likely I'll be able to make it happen, but it doesn't have to be specific. Some example PROPOSALS:

- Trade for a two to three star LHP with at least a year of team control left
- Trade Lucas Duda for whatever we can get, because he sucks
- Trade Curtis Granderson for Mike Trout, because Mike Trout is better that Curtis Granderson

...and so on

Some of these are easy to do, some are not so easy. If it gets the votes, I'll try and do it.

I will also occasionally call for VOTES. This is when the team requires a decision. Examples of VOTES include things like our team strategy, whether or not we retain a manager, coach or player, who we should target in trades or free agency, or what kind of player we should target in the draft. Example VOTE:

- Do we retain Don Mattingly as manager?

Yay or nay

Miscellaneous Crap

Settings, for OOTP veterans:
- "high/realistic" injury setting
- Trading AI is "hard" and "favor prospects"
- Player development is standard, but aging is slowed to .750
- Standard MLB rules, but "league evolution" is on, so the league will change as time goes on
- Inflation at 2-4% per year

We'll start our tenure at the beginning of the 2019 season.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

The Miami Marlins are the game's most worst team, possibly ever. They have no money, no farm system, no good players, no fan base, and minimal income. Their #3 hitter is Curtis Granderson, for gently caress's sake. This is hard, but teams have won big in South Florida before. Can we put together a winner with JEETS in the background and no money to speak of?

Projected 2018 Record: 57-105
Team Budget: $110mm
Farm System Ranking: #24

The Los Angeles Angels have a couple of good things going for them: the game's best player in his prime, an electric young two-way player (who is currently injured) and a lot of money. Other than that, their situation looks rough: a couple of albatross contracts, bad pitching all around, and uninspired offense outside of Michael "Mike" Trout. Still, they're looking like a playoff team this year...could we get them over the hump before Mike Trout goes south?

Projected 2018 Record: 93-69
Team Budget: $232mm
Farm System Ranking: #15

The Cincinnati Reds are one of baseball's oldest franchises, but aside from their extraordinary teams of the mid 1970s and a weird world series win in 1990, they've had very little to cheer about throughout their long history. Their lineup is solid, their pitching is uninspiring, but they have a decent farm and a bit of cash to play with. Can we rebuild the BIG RED MACHINE?

Projected 2018 Record: 80-82
Team Budget: $148mm
Farm System Ranking: #8

The Texas Rangers are baseball's definition of mediocrity. Despite this, they have a big and loyal following, and a healthy media market that generates plenty of cash. What they don't have are 1) good players, and 2) a good farm system. Their team is old, expensive, and nothing is left in the cupboard. Can we finally bring a World Series title to DFW?

Projected 2018 Record: 82-80
Team Budget: $150mm
Farm System Ranking: #28

The Chicago White Sox, aside from their baffling 2005 Series win, have been Chicago's "other team" for just about their entire existence. They've had some great players over the years (Frank Thomas) but have never really gathered the following that the Cubs enjoy. Their team this year is smellybad, but they've got an elite farm system, a big market to grow into, and a very healthy contract situation. They won't make the playoffs this year, but watch out for 2021...

Projected 2018 Record: 64-98
Team Budget: $130mm
Farm System Ranking: #3

The Milwaukee Brewers are a team on the decline. Despite having a solid lineup including the reigning MVP and good pitching throughout, some heavy contracts and a lack of funds are hamstringing the franchise right as it looked like they were about to challenge for a series. Do we tear it all down, or do we try and get one more good year out of the vets?

Projected 2018 Record: 76-86
Team Budget: $170mm
Farm System Ranking: #18

VOTE

Give me your #1 and #2 choice about which team we will take over.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 2, 2019

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
1) Marlins
2) Angels

Last time we managed to make miracles happen with the Padres and their Uber farm, can we make lightning strike twice?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
#1 Reds
#2 Angels

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

1. Marlins - I kinda want to see if we can build something out of what is essentially baseball's version of nothing. I see them basically as a logo with a stadium right now.

2. White Sox - Slight homerism despite living a short walk from Wrigley and actually being a Twins fan. Also we all know there's a team waiting in the wings there. Might turn out a lot like last year's Padres team.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

1) Sox

2) Brewers

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
1) Brewers - I want to run them into the ground
2) Reds - I want to run them into the ground, but less virulently

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Popete posted:

#1 Reds
#2 Angels

:same:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

1) Twins
2) Angels

PROPOSAL

In the unlikely event that the thread doesn't override your bad choices and pick the Twins, trade for Astudillo immediately and make him the starting catcher.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
1) Angels

2) Reds

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

IcePhoenix posted:

trade for Astudillo immediately

after what he did last time and his start this year there's no way he's not a part of this plan

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
#1 - Marlins
#2 - Reds
#3 - Do that Astudillo trade right now.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

IcePhoenix posted:

PROPOSAL

In the unlikely event that the thread doesn't override your bad choices and pick the Twins, trade for Astudillo immediately and make him the starting catcher.

Fully backing this.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Some things change, but franchise cornerstone cube catchers remain the same.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
1) White Sox
2) Reds

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
1. Marlins
2. Rangers

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
0) c u b e c a t c h e r
1) Marlins
2) Reds

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Popete posted:

#1 Reds
#2 Angels

:agreed:

The Reds seem like an interesting project, plus the Reds and Angels have SAS favorites on them.

Can the simulation end due to the death of baseball? I feel like that's the most probable outcome of the Marlins' simulation.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
1) Angels - to be honest, the first thing I thought of was recreating "Angels in the Outfield" :v:

2) Marlins - feels like we'd be given the blank slate here

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

1) White Sox - I want to see the South Side actually do things, for once, even though they're the South Side, and don't deserve to exist.

2) Marlins - Because we can't gently caress them up any worse than Jeets already has.

My question is, why are the Brewers on the list of choices? They have a really solid team this year, and while they are somewhat old, they aren't over the hill.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

#1) Marlins

#2) Do an expansion team

Padres was cool but they already had a farm system built for success. Would be cool taking a franchise without a ton of hope and build it completely from scratch.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

#1) Rangers
#2) Marlins

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
1- Expansion Team
2- Reds

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

1) Marlins - I like the idea of us starting from basically the ground up and somehow making a kickass, winning team from nothing.

2) Brewers - It might be an interesting balancing act seeing who to keep and who to replace.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

1) Reds

2) Brewers

Let us go.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
1) White Sox

2) Reds.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
We get a text on our phone.

Welp. Looks like we're now the general manager of the worst baseball team...possibly ever. We have maybe a half dozen actual major leaguers, and not a one that could be called above average. We have exactly one (1) blue chip prospect (Sixto Sanchez), who we shall cling to like a baby koala clings to his mom.

The good news: we have some money available. That...that's about it.

So first things first, we need to decide a few things about how we're going to approach this problem.

VOTE

What is our approach to team building?

This question determines the biggest chunk of our strategy: what is our preferred method of acquiring new players? This isn't meant to be exclusive (ie, we'll still sign free agents even if we're building through prospects), but it does determine how we'll focus our efforts, particularly scouting. PICK ONE, ONLY ONE.

1) Build through prospects. We draft well, hoard our prospects jealously, trade for prospects as much as we can and patiently wait for them to emerge as big leaguers. Note: everyone does this now, so it can be very hard to stockpile prospects and beat other teams in development.

2) Build through waivers, trades, and Rule 5. We look for young guys other teams undervalue, who are past the prospect stage, and collect them like cigar butts, seeing if any are the next Max Muncy or Johan Santana . Note: this is, for example, how the A's are doing it these days.

3) Sign undervalued veterans. We wait patiently until late in the winter, and then try and snag veteran free agents who flew under the wire. Cheap deals on quality pros like Mike Moustakas, for example. Could this be the new market inefficiency?

4) Sign star players. We pay the big money to get proven players. Or maybe...one proven player.

What skillsets do we emphasize?

Several questions here broadly determine how we prioritize different parts of our roster. This of course does not mean that we forgo pitchers if we choose hitting, but it does mean we'll spend more of our limited resources on hitters.

1. Pitching or hitting?

2. Starting pitching, or bullpen?

3. Starters, or depth?

4. Pick two: power, speed, patience, defense

5. Pick one: velocity, control

What is our preferred tactical approach to the game?

note: this is ultimately up to the manager, but we are the ones who hire the manager

1. Smallball. Steals, hit and run, pinch runners, etc.

2. Sabermetric. OBP uber alles.

3. Tactical. Shifts and matchups, all day long.

Some info to help you make your decisions:

note: 1.000 is average

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

1. Marlins
2. White Sox

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
As we sit down at our desk and try to figure out how on earth this could be a competitive major league team, we hear the heavy thunk of cowboy boots and the jangle of spurs coming slowly down the hallway. We can smell his cigar before he knocks on the open door.

How you been, kid? Looks like you could use some help....

It is our old friend, Pete Ward!

What is Pete's job?
1. Hitting Coach
2. Pitching Coach
3. Scouting Director
4. Trainer

And finally, we contacted the Twins about Cube Catcher. They want our best player, Sandy Alcantara, plus a good prospect for Da Cube.

VOTE

Too much for Cube Catcher? Or is he worth any price?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I feel like the only way we'll ever get anywhere in the long term with the Marlins is to focus on prospects. Use our money right now to grab some veterans and put bodies on the field, but we have no young core to work with. Along those lines, Pete, scouting extraordinare , is gonna be putting in some overtime.

E: Leave Cube Catcher. We only have one good player to begin with, we can't part with him just yet. :negative:

Artix fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 3, 2019

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Prospects Prospects Prospects!

1: Hitting
2: Starting Pitching
3: Starters
4: Power, Patience
5: Velocity

If we want to compete with other richer clubs we need every edge, so our Manager needs to use Sabermetrics!

Welcome back Pete! We left your old job as our Scouting Director open!

Oh Man the Marlins are so bad. It will be interesting to see how this goes. I see a lot of Tanking losing in our future.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Team Building
Undervalued Veterans

Skillsets
Pitching
Starting Pitching
Depth
Speed Defense
Control

Tactical approach
Smallball

Everyone in the league is going to be stockpiling high OPS prospects, we need to do something different.

Pete
Scouting.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Pete is scouting, end of story :colbert:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Build through prospects

Emphasis on hitting, focus on bullpen and velocity for pitching.

Sabermetrics.

Pete is scouting director, end of story. :colbert:

PROPOSAL: Starlin Castro is on his last guaranteed year with a somewhat expensive club option for next year, so this is probably the best time to flip him. He's not going to bring back blue chips, but I say stick him on the block and see if anybody offers us some lottery tickets Pete takes a liking to.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Build through waivers

1. Pitching

2. Starting pitching

3. Starters

4. patience, defense

5. velocity

Sabermetric.

Pete is a scouter

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
2) Build through waivers, trades, and Rule 5. We look for young guys other teams undervalue, who are past the prospect stage, and collect them like cigar butts, seeing if any are the next Max Muncy or Johan Santana . Note: this is, for example, how the A's are doing it these days.

1. Hitting

2. Bullpen

3. Starters

4. speed, defense

5. velocity

1. Smallball. Steals, hit and run, pinch runners, etc.

Pete should Scout.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
This is where my ultra inexperience comes in, but I do agree that

iospace posted:

Pete is scouting, end of story :colbert:

Let's put his skills into good use and focus on scouting and rebuilding the farm.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I didn't notice this had started or I would have voted Angels just to see what kind of a return Trout would have fetched :lol:

Pete needs to be a scout and I agree about trading Castro ASAP

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Hey Pete, glad to see you're still kickin' and scouting.

I say Strategy 2: Waivers, Trades, and Rule 5: We don't have prospects and in the time it takes to amass any (beyond trading Castro) would put us out of contention for 5 years and if there's anything ownership hates it's Not Winning Ever. Even Jeets, methinks. OOTP Jeets, anyway. With Pete along for the ride, maybe he'll see things the other scouts don't. I remember he treated us well when it came to weird no-name guys with the Padres. No reason to believe he won't do the same this year.

Focus should be Hitting. Projection is a lot harder with pitching than hitting/fielding. Plus getting good pitching on the secondary market is like pulling teeth. Build a monstrous offense and hope we can score enough just-above-average guys for the rotation that we don't have to worry about being the Cubs.

Starting Pitching. Rather we had dudes we hire to eat innings eat those innings than deal with a constantly overworked bullpen. It just never works out.

Starters. Depth is for losers who get hurt. (Also I don't think we can build a viable deep roster without a seriously large amount of money, and that won't happen without putting butts in seats.)

Power, defense. Hard hit balls and robbing hits.

Control. Walks are bad. Velocity is temporary.

Sabermetrics. Smallball is bullshit. Get dudes who get on base, moved around by other dudes who get on base (and/or clear them.)

Considering all this, our entire coaching staff might be on the outs. We're going to have to rely heavily on Pete and luck, and it's unlikely that we'll be making any free agent splashes basically ever, because that's probably where the pitchers are going to have to come from. I don't expect making any extensions this year unless we have a complete roster overhaul by the end, so that's money we'll be carrying forward.

I have to assume ownership is basically giving us carte blanche at this point, because I find it unlikely that any of these players are going to be fan favorites or ownership darlings considering we have a roster that consists mostly of men who indeed wear Major League Baseball uniforms and that's about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

I agree with the proposal to trade Starlin Castro.

In fact I propose we go one step further and trade every player above the age of 30 (with the exception of Curtis Granderson.)

fucking love Fiona Apple fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Apr 3, 2019