Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Plus you get to play X-2 right after!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Yeah I really like 15, but of the two definitely 10.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If 10 had cutscene skip it might be my favorite in the franchise over 13, but unlike 13 its cutscenes are good and worth watching once cause it has the best story in the series.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I will say that despite having a loving stupid as hell plot, 13 stuck the landing of the ending about as well as it could have. I really came to like all the characters by the end of it and it pretty much worked. Although, uh, I thought maybe the beginning of 13-2 would make more sense after going back and beating 13 and that's a big ol nope.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Main thing to note for 10 is that it was their first foray into voiced characters and the English actors had to fit their lines into the Japanese animations which ranged anywhere from "shorter" to "ludicrously shorter". As a result of both of those, things can get rather bad.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

DrNutt posted:

I will say that despite having a loving stupid as hell plot, 13 stuck the landing of the ending about as well as it could have. I really came to like all the characters by the end of it and it pretty much worked. Although, uh, I thought maybe the beginning of 13-2 would make more sense after going back and beating 13 and that's a big ol nope.

Gonna level with you chief, I legitimately love 13 and all of its assorted nonsense but the games actively make less and less sense as you go on, to the point where knowing more about what's going on makes them harder to follow.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Artix posted:

Gonna level with you chief, I legitimately love 13 and all of its assorted nonsense but the games actively make less and less sense as you go on, to the point where knowing more about what's going on makes them harder to follow.

Yeah uh, I just fired up 13-2 for the second time in my life and I think it makes less sense in the wake of finishing 13. :psyduck: Oh well embrace the insanity I guess.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

I've only tried 13 once because I managed to own the one region type of XBox 360 that can't play any english copy of FF13 but its combat system just makes me feel like a colossal idiot incapable of doing anything. I think I got as far as Snow's eidolon fight and died there because I was misunderstanding something

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Merilan posted:

I've only tried 13 once because I managed to own the one region type of XBox 360 that can't play any english copy of FF13 but its combat system just makes me feel like a colossal idiot incapable of doing anything. I think I got as far as Snow's eidolon fight and died there because I was misunderstanding something

13's combat is pretty easy once you figure out some things the game doesn't tell you directly and get over some old rpg habits. Commandos slow the chain gauge depletion, but so do saboteurs (and also sentinels, but lol who uses those?). Commandos also turn into murder machines once the gauge breaks. Ravagers boost the gauge the fastest by far. Buffs and debuffs are incredibly powerful and for anything you aren't going to steamroll in <15 seconds, it's worth it to break out the sabs and synergists for at least a couple of spells each. Sentinels are nominally pointless most of the time, but they do lower damage taken for everyone just by existing and this stacks. Otherwise, there's not much point to keeping medics and sens around for most fights, especially since you heal to full after every combat.

Generically good paradigms that will carry you through most of the game (role after the / is for when you finally get that 3rd party member):
1. Com rav / rav - Bread and butter, smashes most fights without much fuss.
2. Syn sab / rav- Buff and debuff without cratering your gauge, handy for harder things.
3. com medic / rav- When you need some light healing.
4. sen sen / sen- When a big hit's coming and you will need to soak it.
5. com rav / com - When you break the chain gauge.
6. sen med / med- Quick recovery from that big hit you just soaked.

Also you should switch paradigms in combat relatively frequently since sometimes it gives you a free full atb bar.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 15, 2019

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Man I sure love the tease of getting to play as a rad version of Lightning before the game shoves this derpy Kingdom Hearts reject on me. I think I would have preferred literally any of the party members from 13 over this doofus.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Merilan posted:

Eidolon fights can be stupid difficult since they play unlike other fights in the game, dont necessarily blame yourself.

Also in order of quality its BoneX copy of 13, PC copy of 13, all other copies

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Barudak posted:

Eidolon fights can be stupid difficult since they play unlike other fights in the game, dont necessarily blame yourself.

I played the bonex 13 but switched to Steam for 13-2 so I could mod in the n7 and rear end Creed outfits that Square no longer has rights to and I don't think it's worth it. Game looks way worse running at 1440p natively than using a bonex supersampling to a 1080p display. I guess I am just going to have to deal with not having fun cosplay characters.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I like Noel :shobon: He's pretty upbeat for being literally the last human alive, you gotta respect that.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

DrNutt posted:

I played the bonex 13 but switched to Steam for 13-2 so I could mod in the n7 and rear end Creed outfits that Square no longer has rights to and I don't think it's worth it. Game looks way worse running at 1440p natively than using a bonex supersampling to a 1080p display. I guess I am just going to have to deal with not having fun cosplay characters.

There are also some mods that add new monsters for you to get. It also lets you get crystals for people like Caius, who is exactly as strong as you would expect the main villain to be.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Fister Roboto posted:

I like Noel :shobon: He's pretty upbeat for being literally the last human alive, you gotta respect that.

Lol yeah okay I definitely missed something in the opening story beats :psyduck:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DrNutt posted:

Lol yeah okay I definitely missed something in the opening story beats :psyduck:

Its all in the datalogs.

Sometimes in 13's datalogs as well like with Yuel.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
13-2 is a case of "Just nod and move on."

DrNutt posted:

:psyduck: Oh well embrace the insanity I guess.

That's good advice for Final Fantasy in general.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Barudak posted:

Its all in the datalogs.

Sometimes in 13's datalogs as well like with Yuel.

Huh the wikia only has stuff from 13-2 and LR, do you have a link to the 13 datalog maybe? Is it from one of the cieth stones?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Mega64 posted:

13-2 is a case of "Just nod and move on."

13-2 is basically a comedy for how much it doesn't get time travel. The rules it sets don't make any sense, and also contradict, it's great.

Although my favorite part is still the ending. Oh, it turns out that if you do the thing every piece of evidence tells you not to do, the thing that the evidence tells you will happen happens!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im traveling at the moment but I believe its in the annalects set of datalogs which chronicle the decline of pulse civilization* and its ultimate death. The last one I think is recorded by a seeress named Yuel.

*seriously everything about 13s setting is rad except the story itself

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Cleretic posted:

13-2 is basically a comedy for how much it doesn't get time travel. The rules it sets don't make any sense, and also contradict, it's great.

Although my favorite part is still the ending. Oh, it turns out that if you do the thing every piece of evidence tells you not to do, the thing that the evidence tells you will happen happens!

I think my favourite moment was them misunderstanding the most BASIC concept of Time Travel Paradox's

"If you change the future, you change the past." No, that's the opposite of how that works.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I've only gotten halfway through 13-2 but I vastly prefer its story over 13's simply to how ridiculous it is and how much 13-2 embraces that stupidity.

I really should give it another try someday.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Barudak posted:

Im traveling at the moment but I believe its in the annalects set of datalogs which chronicle the decline of pulse civilization* and its ultimate death. The last one I think is recorded by a seeress named Yuel.

*seriously everything about 13s setting is rad except the story itself

The best part is how all of 13-2 and LR only comes about because Etro felt sad about the party in 13-1 and decided to try and actually help out, rather than just sit back and watch like 99% of JRPG goddess'.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Onmi posted:

I think my favourite moment was them misunderstanding the most BASIC concept of Time Travel Paradox's

"If you change the future, you change the past." No, that's the opposite of how that works.

I'm sorry, I didn't know there were hard rules to loving time travel

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Terper posted:

I'm sorry, I didn't know there were hard rules to loving time travel

There are hard rules to loving causality, This is "History is written by the winners" taken to a stupid end.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Barudak posted:

Failboattootoot posted:

13's combat is pretty easy once you figure out some things the game doesn't tell you directly and get over some old rpg habits. Commandos slow the chain gauge depletion, but so do saboteurs (and also sentinels, but lol who uses those?). Commandos also turn into murder machines once the gauge breaks. Ravagers boost the gauge the fastest by far. Buffs and debuffs are incredibly powerful and for anything you aren't going to steamroll in <15 seconds, it's worth it to break out the sabs and synergists for at least a couple of spells each. Sentinels are nominally pointless most of the time, but they do lower damage taken for everyone just by existing and this stacks. Otherwise, there's not much point to keeping medics and sens around for most fights, especially since you heal to full after every combat.

Generically good paradigms that will carry you through most of the game (role after the / is for when you finally get that 3rd party member):
1. Com rav / rav - Bread and butter, smashes most fights without much fuss.
2. Syn sab / rav- Buff and debuff without cratering your gauge, handy for harder things.
3. com medic / rav- When you need some light healing.
4. sen sen / sen- When a big hit's coming and you will need to soak it.
5. com rav / com - When you break the chain gauge.
6. sen med / med- Quick recovery from that big hit you just soaked.

Also you should switch paradigms in combat relatively frequently since sometimes it gives you a free full atb bar.

Ah thanks folks, I'll definitely keep it in mind if I give it a try. I've still got it on Steam so I'll break it out again sometime I have a chance!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

On PC be warned if you plan to use a controller on steam the game has an unpatched bug and will often throw shitfits about not recognizing it when you swap from text boxes back to gameplay. For me rapidly pressing a button on the controller caused it to re-recognize it but I cant guarantee itll work or even if youll hit the bug.

Also every two fills of the atb bar youll have a full atb bar when you swap paradigms. I.e. you start the fight, have your characters atb fill and execute their actuons twice, once you swap to any other paradigm setup youll have a full atb bar. Once youve burned that free atb bar youll need to refill two more times and then another will be ready.

This is super valuable because it means if you swap to a healing paradigm you can instantly start blasting healing. Its also why you shouldnt panic and always try to heal your characters to green health. Healing is extremely bursty in 13 so as long as you swap fast enough with atb refresh ready your characters can go from red to green health in a flash. Try to disabuse yourself of the notion you should always have a healer active.

From an offenssive standpoint the same thing applies, it lets you squeeze out more dps and it can sometimes be useful to have two identical paradigms so that you can swap between them and milk that free atb.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Apr 15, 2019

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Onmi posted:

There's people and machines that can see the future therefore future causes acting on the past. See also: yelling at Hope

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

DrNutt posted:

Huh the wikia only has stuff from 13-2 and LR, do you have a link to the 13 datalog maybe? Is it from one of the cieth stones?

https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Datalog_(Final_Fantasy_XIII)/Analects#IV._The_Heavenly_Deceit

Analects 4 and 9 were written by one of the older Yeuls.

Merilan posted:

I think I got as far as Snow's eidolon fight and died there because I was misunderstanding something

Some people die there because they throw you into a fight with weird rules. For that fight, the biggest tip is to go into sentinel to defend when they do their big attack. They telegraph the big attack after they sit still for a while when it says "ATB Charge", after which they do several moves that ends with "Wheel Grind" or "Pirouette". Defending these big wheel attacks gives you a big chunk of meter that you need to win the fight. Other than that, it should just be standard switching from Com-Rav to attack when you need to.

Remember that the goal is to fill up the gestalt meter thing, so it doesn't matter much if you keep their chain gauge up for long, you just need to build it up a couple of times and defend the big wheel attacks and it should fill up fine.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Rewatched the opening cutscene to 13-2 to see if I could make any more sense of it but all I'm getting is "Soul Calibur villain gets stuck in a Final Fantasy game, Soul Calibur cutscene ensues."

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
A Yeul who could do a Triple Lindy

A Yeul who was anti-vax

A Yeul who enjoyed Final Fantasy VIII

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012

Saint Freak posted:

A Yeul who enjoyed Final Fantasy VIII

The only good Yeul.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Onmi posted:

There are hard rules to loving causality, This is "History is written by the winners" taken to a stupid end.
Clearly, the world takes place inside a black hole and is only interpreted in a linear fashion for the benefit of the player. The laws of the universe mean nothing.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Mega64 posted:

https://twitter.com/cleartonic/status/1116880856046608384

There's a FF5 open world randomizer in beta testing right now, similar in scope to Free Enterprise.

Hell yes, give me more of these cool-rear end open-world randomizer mods.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
In conclusion, the XIII series is a land of contrasts.

Meow Meow

Choco-Chow

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
what the hell, ignis is like a better noctis, this combat should have been the default, it's much more interesting...finding this out 100 hours in from doing his dlc finally

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Hogama posted:

Clearly, the world takes place inside a black hole and is only interpreted in a linear fashion for the benefit of the player. The laws of the universe mean nothing.

-Exdeath

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Dunno if anyone else in this thread has been following this series, but it's not dead and there's a new video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5f4-m77O90

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Tried out the FFV randomizer. It does seem like it will be fun, but it still rough right now. The Wind Raptor got replaced by the Sgt/Deathclaw and his dogs were doing 50 damage per attack which is more then Wind Raptor could do. Nice thing, the mod does work with the GBA script patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Xad posted:

Dunno if anyone else in this thread has been following this series, but it's not dead and there's a new video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5f4-m77O90

Quoting so I can find this later. Thanks for posting it.