Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

L4d2 came out in '09 on the source engine and still has better gore than any game I played since (RE2 remake is close) and they did it in a really simple but time consuming way,
I think game devs have their priorities all messed up sometimes, I don't care if making a giant open world and lots of boring loot gets you lots of profit I want to shoot holes though zombies!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

there should definitely be more gore in games in general, it is a very satisfying visual feedback for shooting at bad guys. I want guts to start spilling out and chunks of people's legs getting taken out with arterial spurts that other bad guys slip over in

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Caesar Saladin posted:

there should definitely be more gore in games in general, it is a very satisfying visual feedback for shooting at bad guys. I want guts to start spilling out and chunks of people's legs getting taken out with arterial spurts that other bad guys slip over in

sounds like time to resurrect the soldier of fortune franchise

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Any game that doesn't have a "just been shot in the dick" animation is bad

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

signalnoise posted:

Any game that doesn't have a "just been shot in the dick" animation is bad

You remember "Oblivion with guns"? How about... FIFA with guns!!

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Caesar Saladin posted:

Ragdolls really killed games having decent gore in the mid 2000s and they've never quite recovered.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
KF2 with flex on is pretty sweet. I like exploding Bloats and watching their blood and bile pool on the ground.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Shadow Warrior 2 had some really satisfying gore.

Maybe unpopular: 22 years later and Final Fantasy Tactics is still the best SRPG. The dual class system owns and grids are way better than free movement.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

internet celebrity posted:

Maybe unpopular: 22 years later and Final Fantasy Tactics is still the best SRPG. The dual class system owns and grids are way better than free movement.

Tactics Ogre was better

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
XCOM is the best TRPG.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

internet celebrity posted:

FFT is good but it's broken to poo poo and back. Beautiful sprite work, amazing sound design- I can still hear the SFX for an arrow being nocked and shot- great sidequests with dumb fun characters. The random battle system is great too for keeping a challenge (for newer players) if you've over-leveled for the story fights.

I still have a hard time thinking of characters who were a bigger rear end in a top hat than Delita. Don't even try to defend him.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

speaking of ragdolls, can we talk a minute about porrasturvat, a classic game about pushing a man down the stairs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3M8QsXlwbk

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Twelve Batmans posted:

FFT is good but it's broken to poo poo and back. Beautiful sprite work, amazing sound design- I can still hear the SFX for an arrow being nocked and shot- great sidequests with dumb fun characters. The random battle system is great too for keeping a challenge (for newer players) if you've over-leveled for the story fights.

I still have a hard time thinking of characters who were a bigger rear end in a top hat than Delita. Don't even try to defend him.

Yeah Orlandu or however it's spelled makes the second half of the game pretty easy. The first couple chapters keep a pretty good difficulty curve if you don't over level or go straight for broken builds like ninja with equip sword and move+3.

The story was great too and the updated translation for the PSP version makes it way more comprehensible. It's hard not to draw parallels with ASOIAF - a supernatural threat appears during a war following a succession crisis.

Algus was a way bigger rear end in a top hat imo.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Fun thing about FFT: the most recent set of 24-person dungeons in Final Fantasy 14 ties together the plots from FFT and FF12. You go to a bunch of locations including the Ridorana Lighthouse and Orbonne Monastery and you fight a a bunch of throwback bosses and several FFT characters (including basically a Lucavi Algus) . Last boss is Ultima, both forms, with the appropriate FFT music. It owns pretty hard!

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

XCOM is the best TRPG.

I think you mean XCOM2.

ashrum3
Feb 16, 2019
any of the new sonic games they really suck

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

ashrum3 posted:

every sonic game ever has been bad except sonic adventure 2 and sonic mania, which is new

so fully half of the good sonic games are new

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

ashrum3 posted:

Generations and Mania were excellent

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

Video game glitches aren't a big deal. Losing your mind everytime a character t-poses is sick streamer mentality.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

i think it is probably very hard to overstate how much i do not enjoy the old genesis sonic games, and how much i enjoy mania despite aping heavily from them

it's like at least once a zone there's something that is clever enough to bring a smile to my face

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

food court bailiff posted:

i think it is probably very hard to overstate how much i do not enjoy the old genesis sonic games, and how much i enjoy mania despite aping heavily from them

it's like at least once a zone there's something that is clever enough to bring a smile to my face

The music is super great too

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

The music is super great too

i enjoyed what i heard before i muted it forever to avoid hearing WAPOO WAPOO WAPOO WAPOO WAPOO for a minute and a half every level trying to get those damnable coins

GET BLUE SPHERES

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

i enjoyed what i heard before i muted it forever to avoid hearing WAPOO WAPOO WAPOO WAPOO WAPOO for a minute and a half every level trying to get those damnable coins

GET BLUE SPHERES

See if you had enjoyed them as a child that sound would be soothing white noise to you by now :v:

The other bonus stage music is so catchy and upbeat though

e: The Mania blue sphere stages are hard as gently caress though

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
the original NES zelda 2 is the actual dark souls of platformers with its xp/leveling system, resapwning at the temple/campfire, the precise and punishing combat, and the option to laborously grind xp if you suck.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

signalnoise posted:

Tactics Ogre was better

In a thread full of bad opinions, this is by far the worst. Pack it up, everyone. Nobody's topping this.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Final Fantasy Tactics is the worst SRPG ive ever played and of the thousands of games Ive played in my life its in the bottom 5% no question alongside garbage like The Fifth Element: The Game

Edit: Spectral Souls, which is hot trash, is better

Barudak fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Apr 16, 2019

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
fft is okay. but it is not in fact very tactical.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I don't remember anything about FFT except that it had like way too many classes and the story meandered forever. I don't think I ever beat it.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

the best version of FFT by far is the iOS release

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

the best version of FFT by far is the iOS release

the one that has separate apps for phone and tablet that don’t share saves?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
The job system is very good but loving lol if you don’t want to fly a blimp across a blurry pixelated world in the best final fantasy game: ff 5 (not unpopular)

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Time_pants posted:

In a thread full of bad opinions, this is by far the worst. Pack it up, everyone. Nobody's topping this.

I can surely top it

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Lazyhound posted:

the one that has separate apps for phone and tablet that don’t share saves?

yeah

as opposed to the other releases you had to buy for other platforms and then deal with a way worse interface at a lower resolution

Barudak
May 7, 2007

yeah

as opposed to the other releases you had to buy for other platforms and then deal with a way worse interface at a lower resolution

The PSP version with the patch to fix the slowdown is better because good lord it controls bad with a touch interface.

Thats right, Ive played every version of this poo poo game hoping to figure out why its good.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Unpopular video game opinion: Left 4 Dead 2 has a lot more variety, but Left 4 Dead 1 is overall more tightly designed. Also its pistols are better.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ffv is one of the games that wasn't released in the west until decades later, right? was the reason something like "westerners are too stupid to understand the job system"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

ffv is one of the games that wasn't released in the west until decades later, right? was the reason something like "westerners are too stupid to understand the job system"

It came out on the PS1 on a double feature port compilation that might be the worst port job of all time* 6 years later. Which makes sense because SE tried to bring it to ammerica 3 times prior but kept loving it up. No seriously, they first tried to make it FF3, got cold feet since it was hard so they decided to retitle it FF Extreme then realized that was dumb then tried to port it to PC because the SNES window was closing then couldnt get that to work so they dumped the abysmal port to the PS1 with little fanfare

*Silent Hill ports powerful contenders for that title.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

Yes, they also specifically dumbed down/made easier the version of FF2 for SNES that the USA got (it's called FF4 Easytype lol)

FFV was also one of the earliest ROMs to get a complete fan translation patch (and IIRC a couple of the people who did it ended up actually working for Square-Enix's localization crew later on)

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

fan translations were wild, i'm like 8 years old playing Tales of Phantasia on an emulator and one of the characters tells me that another one "fucks like a tiger" and the moment is burned in my brain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Caesar Saladin posted:

fan translations were wild, i'm like 8 years old playing Tales of Phantasia on an emulator and one of the characters tells me that another one "fucks like a tiger" and the moment is burned in my brain

Thats the one that translated Ragnarok as Kangaroo right?