Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zadda
Jan 27, 2007

Young Urchin

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Managed to get this once:

I came across this too a couple of times, I reported it on the Ubi open beta forums :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Alkydere posted:

They even brought back the fuckton of decorations from 1404 AND gave them an actual mechanical bonus even.

I'm glad to hear this. Because for me building a Beautiful City is more important that building a maximum efficiency city.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Played this for an hour or so, then quickly uninstalled and put in my preorder. Glad to see we have a true charming-as-gently caress sequel to 1404.

The only nitpick I have is I'm not in love with the UI. Just a bit too big and a lost of wasted space, but otherwise I love what this game is doing.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

wheres my fucken preorder greenman

i get to play at 9 pm tomorrow...and i better get to play at 9 pm tomorromw :D

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Sucks to be you lot, I don’t have to worry about my GMG key being sent late, because I’m away for work til Thursday.

:(

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
I was just looking for a good price for this in the UK and I found on Voidu they have a 20% off voucher (GAMINGTIME) whch brings it down to £36

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
Am I missing something really obvious in the UI? I don't see any indicators for the range of warehouses.
Same for public buildings (marketplaces, schools, pubs) but it seems that those taper of with distance.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

kanonvandekempen posted:

Am I missing something really obvious in the UI? I don't see any indicators for the range of warehouses.
Same for public buildings (marketplaces, schools, pubs) but it seems that those taper of with distance.

Select a producer and you'll see the road highlighted to show its range.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'm glad to hear this. Because for me building a Beautiful City is more important that building a maximum efficiency city.

Yup, decorations add to the beauty of your island, which adds happiness, can help trigger festivals and can lure unique people to fill your buildings/ships with. Though once you get to artisans you get museums and zoos which give heaping gobs compared to your gardens once filled with exotic animals and various shinies you've stolen liberated from heathen lands.

Turk
Mar 27, 2006

I just got my key from Green Man. Check your emails.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Turk posted:

I just got my key from Green Man. Check your emails.

Yep downloading the pre load now. Can’t wait!

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

That's fitting, because if you've got a VPN and tune into japan/aus, the game is available now.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

SubNat posted:

That's fitting, because if you've got a VPN and tune into japan/aus, the game is available now.

Does Uplay not get pissy if people do this?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Drone posted:

Does Uplay not get pissy if people do this?

Nobody does.
Uplay, Steam etc get pissy if you try to use VPNs to circumvent your region's pricing, like buying cheap games from eastern europe etc.

They do not care about people accessing games early, since they've got your money, and that's all they care about.
Every time a game has a staggered release like this ( or separate US/EU times. ) thousands of people unlock games like this, there is never any issue.

e: Well, that's a weird way to handle the preorder bonus:

You just get a selection screen during game setup.
If they're just going to switches on/off, I'd rather have them be integrated into the game settings alongside other per-game settings.

I'm not even sure which ship gets replaced.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Apr 15, 2019

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Probably a skin for the flagship, if previous games are any indication.

Hell yes, just woke up to the email from GMG. Started the preload, put on some coffee. Gotta get ready for my sudden trip to Sydney.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

The steam version isn't unlocked yet, even going through a VPN. I am connected with mullvad though japan right now, and it doesn't work. People are reporting that if you bought it straight from ubisoft it is working though.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Filthy Monkey posted:

The steam version isn't unlocked yet, even going through a VPN. I am connected with mullvad though japan right now, and it doesn't work. People are reporting that if you bought it straight from ubisoft it is working though.

Yes, that is due to VALVE TIME(tm).
Games don't unlock until valve pushes the button to publish the title around lunchtime US.

Which is super annoying for us in europe, since that means that games unlock at 18-20 in the evening.
(There are a few midnight launch exceptions, however. But that's only for the biggest launches.)

I have no idea how it is for anyone who bought it on the Epic Store, however.

e: I have now gotten 2 crashes right after the part where the open-beta campaign ended.
Not sure if it's because of dx12, or gsync.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Apr 15, 2019

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Did you uninstall the beta? They said there could be issues if you didn’t, not sure if that’s at all the problem but worth mentioning

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Yeah I'm using Hotspot Shield and went through GMG/Ubisoft and I'm fine. Gotta break for breakfast though, don't want to pass out in the chair from hunger :).

You'll get a 'suspicious activity' email from Ubisoft though.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Mazz posted:

Did you uninstall the beta? They said there could be issues if you didn’t, not sure if that’s at all the problem but worth mentioning

Yup, wiped it, and have the newest drivers.
Dropped it down to dx11 to see if that fixes it.
Games rarely support dx12 well, so I'm not surprised if that's the issue here.

Mayveena posted:

Yeah I'm using Hotspot Shield and went through GMG/Ubisoft and I'm fine. Gotta break for breakfast though, don't want to pass out in the chair from hunger :).

You'll get a 'suspicious activity' email from Ubisoft though.

Well yes, but that's suspicious as in 'we think someone might have hijacked your account.' Because you're suddenly logging in from the other side of the world.

e: yup, no crashes since dropping down to dx11.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 15, 2019

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The last few Anno games just didn't hook me. Glad they went back to a more traditional Anno game, really looking forward to this.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

So how's this VPN thing work if I pre-ordered on Uplay? Connect my handy dandy NordVPN to Australia, launch Uplay, then the game somehow activates? Do I need to remain VPN'd into Australia until the game officially releases here in Germany, or do I only need to VPN in once for the activation?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
As a dude who pre-ordered via Steam, I'd like to know that too.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Drone posted:

So how's this VPN thing work if I pre-ordered on Uplay? Connect my handy dandy NordVPN to Australia, launch Uplay, then the game somehow activates? Do I need to remain VPN'd into Australia until the game officially releases here in Germany, or do I only need to VPN in once for the activation?

Because the game can be played offline you should only need to VPN once. I used Japan. I'm not seeing though how to change to offline, I'll keep a lookout on Reddit to see if they mention it there.

E: Ok yeah, log into the launcher with the vpn. Then quit the game, go into the launcher and choose go offline under the menu in the left hand corner. Game works fine.

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 15, 2019

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Drone posted:

Should be
VPN in, uPlay goes 'oh hey, you're australian, the game is unlocked for you.' and you can start it up. I just tend to keep the VPN on, so online stuff functions normally.

Very likely the game will-unactivate again if you turn off the VPN and try to launch the game again.
Though uPlay does have an offline mode, so just logging in with the VPN, then activating uPlay's offline mode. (Top left button / menu, 'Go Offline.)

It's worth mentioning that for both uPlay and Steam, you'll want to turn off the client before starting up the vpn.

Gyshall posted:

As a dude who pre-ordered via Steam, I'd like to know that too.

I'm not sure if Steam has the same rolling unlock as uPlay, but if it does:
Turn off steam, log onto VPN, verify that you can run the game ( it might have to decrypt, on steam. Or install extra stuff.), then you can restart steam in offline mode and then turn off the vpn if you want to.
There's no problem with playing the game with the vpn on the whole time either, honestly.

In either case, if you log onto the client without having the VPN on, the game is very likely to go back into 'pre-load / unreleased game' and won't let you start it again. So until release hits in your timezone, you'll need to use offline mode, or be on the vpn.
(Though if you turn off the vpn after starting up the game, it's not like the launchers will kick you out, but they may act oddly in regards to online functionality.)

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

People on Reddit are saying you only need to start the game on VPN, after that it's fine if you disconnect. I'm still gonna do the offline play version though just in case Ubisoft decides to suddenly be strict on this stuff.

I could just stay on the VPN but it's slow as helllllll, thanks Australia. Also a bunch of online connectivity in-game is apparently limited with VPN on... can't multiplayer currently and cloud saves aren't working.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
They announced some future plans today, with the unveiling of the Seasons Pass, that covers the first few expansions. Copied straight from the website they are:

DLC 1: Sunken Treasures
Expand your island with a new European session and large continental island, as you join an eccentric inventor and his diving bell on a treasure hunt.

DLC 2: Botanica
Grow your city’s attractiveness to new heights with a modular Botanical Garden, allowing you to earn new items and rewards as you draw the tourist masses to your floral masterpiece. Alternatively, construct the new Musical Pavilion and enjoy beloved tracks from previous Anno games inside your city.

DLC 3: The Passage
The Passage will take you on a new adventure to the Arctic Circle as you explore the legendary Northwest Passage. To succeed in this merciless climate, you will need to construct an arctic outpost and master all-new production chains and goods.

The first one sounds like it will just be one big island on it's own map with a bunch of quests/puzzles attached to it. They had something similar in 2205 but I don't remember it all that well. The second one also sounds relatively minor in size as it mainly adds a new building that acts like the zoo or museum. I suspect it will have new expeditions to support it as well.

The third one looks to be where the meat is at. Adding a new environment type (arctic, as many people who spotted the snow covered landmass to the top right of the world map suspected) to the game and a new chain of buildings that need to be built to exploit it. I suspect it will be a lot like the arctic maps in 2205 in which you need to sink resources and money into them to get products demanded elsewhere in return. Except this time the game is already designed agianst not needing anything from the extra region so I'm curious to see how they tie things in.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Psychotic Weasel posted:

The third one looks to be where the meat is at. Adding a new environment type (arctic, as many people who spotted the snow covered landmass to the top right of the world map suspected) to the game and a new chain of buildings that need to be built to exploit it. I suspect it will be a lot like the arctic maps in 2205 in which you need to sink resources and money into them to get products demanded elsewhere in return. Except this time the game is already designed agianst not needing anything from the extra region so I'm curious to see how they tie things in.

i think they will add another difficulty level with that third expansion, iron man save, etc. as they did with 2205

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Steam release is listed as not being for another 20 hours. Should come out tomorrow at noon EST.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Filthy Monkey posted:

Steam release is listed as not being for another 20 hours. Should come out tomorrow at noon EST.

Damnit

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Except this time the game is already designed agianst not needing anything from the extra region so I'm curious to see how they tie things in.

Probably something like the Tundra from 2205. Nothing you need, but if you're willing to sink in the resources, you get a new module or other feature to add to your settlements that's very powerful. The Tundra module also came with a hell of a drawback, but it was worth every penny if you were prepared for the costs involved.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

So campaign postgame, when it goes over to being a sandbox spoiler:
There are a bunch of weird, sometimes invisible decoration elements left over on the island after getting razed. Some of them I can't delete, it's super drat annoying.
I really wish they'd just purged the island the same way they do when you do a takeover of an island in normal gameplay. So that you got a completely clean slate.

Or at the very least turned all the non-buildings, non-roads into the same kind of item that trees/vegetation are, so that they'd be deleted when you built on them.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Been having this weird bug where sometimes my fire stations display the hospital interface when selected. Seemed harmless at first but it's really annoying when a big fire breaks out, because while the stations still send out their one default fire brigade but I can't mobilize the extra guys because the button isn't there.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
I'm having a poo poo-ton of fun playing this via a NZ VPN. Playing the beta for 4 hours or so was a perfect taste to get my "real" campaign started. Also, I like that the game actually audibly tells you when you've been playing for 2 hours. It's a good stretch / check your laundry reminder.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Messing around with some of the settings, and lo and behold setting it to DX12 actually does show a large boost in performance. Up to 20 extra FPS in some areas.

This has got to be the first game ever I've personally scene where DX12 actually had a benefit, versus the vast majority of games where it does nothing or even drags the performance down.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

We all know the whole "the digits of the year in each Anno game always adds up to 9" thing. But with 1800 being Anno game #7, I just realized that, regardless of whatever they do for the next game after that, the ninth game needs to be Anno 0009. :v:

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

We all know the whole "the digits of the year in each Anno game always adds up to 9" thing. But with 1800 being Anno game #7, I just realized that, regardless of whatever they do for the next game after that, the ninth game needs to be Anno 0009. :v:
I'm on board for a Roman Anno. I guess that would be Anno IX, though.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Today's the day, huh? Have fun, gang. :)

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

FractalSandwich posted:

I'm on board for a Roman Anno. I guess that would be Anno IX, though.

That would be really cool. Lots of options still unexplored in history, ancient Egypt would be neat too.

Really excited to dig into this tomorrow. Reviews seem positive and the betas were a lot of fun. Plus trains! And steamships!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Aw Shiet, just dropped on Steam.