Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

strong bird posted:

Did they announce a new healer yet

I have bad news friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

strong bird posted:

No new healers, only dps.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The next new healer will be Time Mage in 6.0. In the meantime, Chemist will be released as a Limited Job. "Mixing random items together to create OP effects is the core of the job identity."

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Clarste posted:

The next new healer will be Time Mage in 6.0. In the meantime, Chemist will be released as a Limited Job. "Mixing random items together to create OP effects is the core of the job identity."

God drat it this sounds too realistic and I hate it.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

You will need to get rare components to do the best mixes though, which only drop off of bosses in old dungeons.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Balmung sounds bad, I'm just gonna stay on Excalibur, thanks.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The Shame Boy posted:

You will need to get rare components to do the best mixes though, which only drop off of bosses in old dungeons.

And the components are consumed on use.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Balmung sounds bad, I'm just gonna stay on Excalibur, thanks.

It's not, and you couldn't get on Balmung if you wanted to.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

DPS queues pretty terribly at 16+ min for everyone? I just want to get SAM to lvl 70 and call it a day.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Submit yourself to heaven on high 21-30

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Use the magicite to clear the big room and get yelled at by some nerd who wanted to save it for the boss

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Alder posted:

DPS queues pretty terribly at 16+ min for everyone? I just want to get SAM to lvl 70 and call it a day.

Depends. Sub-70? Yes, definitely. At 70, my queues as a melee dps are usually under 10 minutes as long as I am queueing for a roulette. Ranged DPS is forever hosed. If I queue for a specific dungeon though, regardless of dungeon it's going to take >15 minutes.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

strong bird posted:

yeah, it's called doing mechanics so you don't get hit

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Great White Hope!
Nov 12, 2006

Spent a good chunk of time learning how to do house stuff this weekend. Spruced up the ole FC for recruiting all the babbies who want to transfer to Siren.

(the basement still sucks)

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Glams? Glams

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Ala Mhigan Striking is one of my favorite sets in the game

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The 60 Hildibrand quests are good but there's not much to it. It feels like they were just bowing to player pressure.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

FactsAreUseless posted:

The 60 Hildibrand quests are good but there's not much to it. It feels like they were just bowing to player pressure.

That's pretty much what happened. The Scholasticate quests were supposed to be HW's Hildibrand, but people wanted more actual Hildibrand so they added some more of it (but it wasn't remotely as good as in ARR).

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Something called a Foper just killed me in like twenty seconds. Level 60 enemy, totally unassuming, hitting me for between 2 and 3k an attack. IDK why, the other enemies in the area were normal.

Random battle enemies just seem to be way overtuned, especially in Stormblood.

Edit: Apparently these things can interrupt my spells, awesome!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It gets silly when enemies hanging around are a way bigger threat than any of your quest targets.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FactsAreUseless posted:

Something called a Foper just killed me in like twenty seconds. Level 60 enemy, totally unassuming, hitting me for between 2 and 3k an attack. IDK why, the other enemies in the area were normal.

Random battle enemies just seem to be way overtuned, especially in Stormblood.

Edit: Apparently these things can interrupt my spells, awesome!

It might have been a hunt target. The level capped hunt targets are like dungeon bosses.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Tashilicious posted:

It might have been a hunt target. The level capped hunt targets are like dungeon bosses.
Nope, just a Foper, I checked. I was exaggerating the number of hits but a second one killed me - it interrupted a spell so I couldn't win the damage race. I'm a bit undergeared but I've had similar issues with fully-geared characters and other SB encounters. It might be less of a problem for healer or tank classes.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Wait is there a death log?

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

FactsAreUseless posted:

Nope, just a Foper, I checked. I was exaggerating the number of hits but a second one killed me - it interrupted a spell so I couldn't win the damage race. I'm a bit undergeared but I've had similar issues with fully-geared characters and other SB encounters. It might be less of a problem for healer or tank classes.

Did you have your chocobo out to tank for you?

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FactsAreUseless posted:

Are you wearing Shire gear? If you're just starting SB, and you're not in Shire, or something higher than most HW quest rewards, it's going to be a bit rough

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Tashilicious posted:

Are you wearing Shire gear? If you're just starting SB, and you're not in Shire, or something higher than most HW quest rewards, it's going to be a bit rough
I'm 217 ATM but just hit 61 so I can grind for dungeon drops.

And I forgot about chocobos, that would help a lot!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Unrelated, I've come to really love BLM. Once you get past 50 the class gets a lot more interesting, and I'm enjoying it a lot at 60.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I swear the game just started assuming at some point that you'll always have your chocobuddy out. Even at 70 if I forget to summon him I can get mushed pretty easily doing FATEs or whatever else

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm 217 ATM but just hit 61 so I can grind for dungeon drops.

And I forgot about chocobos, that would help a lot!

Shire gear is 260, 270 after upgrade. If you have Poetics, go get some shire gear. You'll not replace it until like halfway through SB content.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Tashilicious posted:

Shire gear is 260, 270 after upgrade. If you have Poetics, go get some shire gear. You'll not replace it until like halfway through SB content.
This isn't my first class on this character. I already got to 70 with my MCH, and I don't want to run MSQ Roulette just to get leveling gear for my BLM. It's why I'm undergeared. I don't have the gil or the tomes to be at max gear every level. I've largely been relying on dungeon drops since 50.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

The 70 Hildibrand is even worse. The thing that makes Hildibrand work is when he has an exasperated straight man to play off, and the counterpart in that line is way too enthusiastically supportive for any of the humor to stick.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

FactsAreUseless posted:

This isn't my first class on this character. I already got to 70 with my MCH, and I don't want to run MSQ Roulette just to get leveling gear for my BLM. It's why I'm undergeared. I don't have the gil or the tomes to be at max gear every level. I've largely been relying on dungeon drops since 50.

You don't need to be at max gear level all the time, but expansion jumps assume a certain baseline and 217 is way below it (the last dungeons in HW required item level 230) - but you can get 255 whites from vendors, that's why they added them.

Also I hope you're not running dungeons with randoms while being that undergeared :colbert:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

orcane posted:

You don't need to be at max gear level all the time, but expansion jumps assume a certain baseline and 217 is way below it (the last dungeons in HW required item level 230) - but you can get 255 whites from vendors, that's why they added them.

Also I hope you're not running dungeons with randoms while being that undergeared :colbert:
I am, and I'm doing fantastic damage. BLM is so much more efficient in dungeons than MCH that the gear loss isn't much difference.

(I did in fact gear up after having issues with the enemies and am now at 251)

Edit: however, I now have just 130k gil so I may be grinding dungeons for equipment again after this

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

CYBEReris posted:

The 70 Hildibrand is even worse. The thing that makes Hildibrand work is when he has an exasperated straight man to play off, and the counterpart in that line is way too enthusiastically supportive for any of the humor to stick.

It gave us Kugane Ohashi so you shut your goddamn mouth.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

CYBEReris posted:

Neither Cyr or Shigure are very good straight men. The fact of the matter is, Briardien set the bar for whoever followed him really high by being a fun straight man who got in on the action, working as a foil for Hildy while still not being immune to the fallout of the comedy. Neither Cyr, who's basically just an exasperated observer to the whole process, or Shigure, who isn't very 'straight' of a straight man, carry the role particularly well.

It doesn't help the 70 plotline at all that Hildebrand is, for much of it, barely involved in the actual events. He's mostly just there because it's his show, but you could re-write 2/3s of the Stormblood arc without him and get the same story with a few less wacky antics, which is something you can't say about the other two arcs.

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

I am, and I'm doing fantastic damage.

Lol

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

This is not an emptyquote

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

FactsAreUseless posted:

I am, and I'm doing fantastic damage. BLM is so much more efficient in dungeons than MCH that the gear loss isn't much difference.

(I did in fact gear up after having issues with the enemies and am now at 251)

Edit: however, I now have just 130k gil so I may be grinding dungeons for equipment again after this

Like HW's level 50 field monsters are tuned to expect you to be around i115+, SB's level 60 field monsters like the Foper are about i255. At almost 40 ilvls short vs an enemy that is specifically annoying to casters, it'll be rough going. You probably should farm up some money at some point regardless though, if only so you don't have headaches the next time you level up a job.

Re: Hildy I'll agree that most of the SB quests are just kind of there and not nearly as engaging as the ARR quests were. They did set up the last quest though, which was Extremely Good and brings us a fun fight and a very powerful dance. And at least for me, several hours of fun when a Hildy-hating mentor realized they had to do two expansions worth of Hildy to get their mentor roulette back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mr. Locke posted:

Neither Cyr or Shigure are very good straight men. The fact of the matter is, Briardien set the bar for whoever followed him really high by being a fun straight man who got in on the action, working as a foil for Hildy while still not being immune to the fallout of the comedy. Neither Cyr, who's basically just an exasperated observer to the whole process, or Shigure, who isn't very 'straight' of a straight man, carry the role particularly well.

This was my feeling as well. I liked HW Hildy for having a good emotional heart to the story and not having a cringey scene like the "Cross-dressing is really funny you guys!" bit from ARR, but he needs a good supporting cast to work and SB just didn't give him one.

They tried to work the WoL into it as the straight man, I think, but the WoL is such a nonentity I don't think it worked.