Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Ephemeron posted:

IIRC, Normal New Home is winnable with 0 laws.

I'm pretty sure Normal New Home is winnable without turning on the generator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Fister Roboto posted:

Yes. I know. It was still putting me over the 75% threshold and there was literally nothing I could do about it.

I went back and checked my save, I had one post with 7 people in it, one tent with 2 people in it, and one that was completely empty. Seriously why are you defending this? It's stupid regardless of whatever else I was doing.

you are really defensive about this, it is not a big deal

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Morrow posted:

It is, I've done it. You gain a huge appreciation for just how warm some of those production buildings can get on their own and with a soup kitchen.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Morrow posted:

I'm curious about how to do this now

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

jokes posted:

I'm curious about how to do this now

You just invest heavily into insulation upgrades and medical facilities. Get the workplace heaters and faith soup kitchens. Be prepared for death.

Frees up quite a bit of workforce since you need very little coal production.

The storm I remember being tough to get through, but you can.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i'm unclear on how you'd handle the no-law situation, thinking about it. the londoner crisis would gut your city without a way to restore hope, no?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
the londoner crisis is surmountable without enacting laws, but you'll probably lose a few dudes that go out into the white and die

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i mean i've never tried it, how much is a few? they start out with a nontrivial portion of your population and as long as hope is below like 30% or whatever it is they keep gaining steam. going purely off my gut i'd kind of expect them to abscond with half the drat city unless you pulled a hope rabbit out of your hat.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

A dude on reddit did no-laws Refugees on Hard a while ago:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Frostpunk/comments/8ler0y/refugees_hard_no_adaptation_laws_no_deaths/

Can't find anyone who did no-laws ANH though. Bear in mind that:

reddit posted:

This run, being a No Law run, also means it has to be a No Automaton Run.

Automatons will cripple 1 worker randomly in the game and make him an Amputee. Without Care Houses (law required) or Prosthetics (law required), he will eventually commit suicide. Without a place to put his body (law required), my whole city becomes sick, constantly.

So by proxy, a No Law run has to be Deathless and Automatonless.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yikes-a-roni

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I guess bodies should eventually decay even without a place to put them. If they don't decay, they shouldn't make people sick, and if they do decay and make people sick they should eventually decay away and stop making people sick.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Should we do something about Bobby’s rotting corpse?

Not until the captain says we have to! You ever heard of jenkem?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Like seriously, are they leaving it on the table? Chuck it by the old storage or something, it'll freeze and nobody will get cold.

"You take a right by the depot, a left by green boots"

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Coolguye posted:

you are really defensive about this, it is not a big deal

Sorry, when I posted I was kind of hoping for some kind of helpful tip for dealing with the problem that I had maybe overlooked. Like I don't know, maybe there's a button hidden somewhere to spread out your sick dudes? Instead I got a bunch of goons pedantically blaming me for not anticipating my citizens acting like complete morons. My discontent was high, but if it wasn't for this dumb problem I wouldn't have gotten a game over. That's the issue, not whatever else I was doing.

But I've learned from it at least, and Overcrowding is kind of a trap option because it basically gives you a permanent discontent modifier. I'll go with Extra Rations from now on. Would be nice if this didn't happen though.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Fister Roboto posted:

But I've learned from it at least, and Overcrowding is kind of a trap option because it basically gives you a permanent discontent modifier. I'll go with Extra Rations from now on. Would be nice if this didn't happen though.

I did Extra Rations for my first couple of games then switched to Overcrowding and Overcrowding was by far the more useful law.

You may have run into some weird behaviour (or maybe your other medical facilities were not operating at that moment for some reason), but the person telling you that the overcrowding penalty was far from your biggest problem is 100% right. At this point you look like the guy spending $800 a month on candles insisting that he needs to cut down on his $40 food expenditure.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Gort posted:

You may have run into some weird behaviour (or maybe your other medical facilities were not operating at that moment for some reason), but the person telling you that the overcrowding penalty was far from your biggest problem is 100% right. At this point you look like the guy spending $800 a month on candles insisting that he needs to cut down on his $40 food expenditure.

this is such a weird response to someone complaining about running into a dumb bug

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Gort posted:

I did Extra Rations for my first couple of games then switched to Overcrowding and Overcrowding was by far the more useful law.

If you want to go with this analogy, it would be like saying that a grocery clerk overcharged you, and having a bunch of people tell you that it's your fault for buying too many candles.

Like yeah, if I knew ahead of time that this was going to happen, I would have compensated for it and not driven my discontent so high. I was playing on extreme so a lot of it was pretty necessary, I'm not sure what I would cut out of my discontent budget. But that's not really the issue. The issue is that this "weird behavior" is the straw that broke the camel's back, and a bunch of folks are telling me to take some food off of the camel to accommodate the straw.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

this is such a weird response to someone complaining about running into a dumb bug

It's not necessarily a bug (there's a bunch of non-bug ways to have enough medical capacity but end up with overcrowded facilities anyway) and it's not a situation that would make you lose without already being a gnat's width from losing anyway.

Fister Roboto posted:

I was playing on extreme

That makes a bit more sense, I imagine running discontent high must be pretty unavoidable on that difficulty.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Southpaugh posted:

Yeah never toggled it on, it just doesn't do enough, if people are starting to starve its probably too late, you're at the early stages of a failure cascade.

Soup is one of my favorite policies because it's proved so useful for me in past games. Being able to get an instant 30 percent increase in ration production when I realize I face a raw food deficit or am going to have trouble meeting a stockpile benchmark has saved my skin several times.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Coolguye posted:

i mean i've never tried it, how much is a few? they start out with a nontrivial portion of your population and as long as hope is below like 30% or whatever it is they keep gaining steam. going purely off my gut i'd kind of expect them to abscond with half the drat city unless you pulled a hope rabbit out of your hat.

Fun fact, there's a series of events where Londoners hold speeches in the town square, and if you just sit back and let that happen without breaking them up then during the (I think ) third speech you can be like "I let you speak, now it's my turn" and it causes their numbers to plummet, I recall them losing most of their membership overnight even if your hope still isn't great. But this only happens if the Londoners are above some threshold, so if you're on the ball then you don't get those events, and you have to not instinctively send in guards/faith keepers to disperse them.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

It is not a trap, it's one of the most powerful laws in the game and nearly a must-have on Survivor difficulties. The discontent modifier is negligible and if you plan to permanently overcrowd your medical facilities then you can dump those engineers into other essential positions (like workshops) and dig yourself out of discontent holes much more easily.

For the same reason, combining overcrowded with child shelters + medic apprentices is insanely good. For a very small amount of discontent you're nearly tripling your healing throughput

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

QuarkJets posted:

For the same reason, combining overcrowded with child shelters + medic apprentices is insanely good. For a very small amount of discontent you're nearly tripling your healing throughput

If you're playing Endless this combo is the go-to, because eventually you will run out of things to research and the engineer apprentices go to waste.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

DasNeonLicht posted:

Soup is one of my favorite policies because it's proved so useful for me in past games. Being able to get an instant 30 percent increase in ration production when I realize I face a raw food deficit or am going to have trouble meeting a stockpile benchmark has saved my skin several times.

You're probably better at frostpunk then me tbh, this is my first foray into management style games, but yeah 30% is a lot.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
The secret to being good at management-style games is playing on easy ;)

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Sometimes I add sawdust to stretch things further than soup. I do this so people will get sick and die. Then I starve them out for a while. That's when the real fun begins.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I've never had an actual empty city - if there are automatons in the city, do you get a game over if the last person starves or leaves?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

You'd probably lose way, way earlier because of the deaths.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

FAUXTON posted:

Anyone ever win the main scenario without soup?

I never used soup.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Southpaugh posted:

You're probably better at frostpunk then me tbh, this is my first foray into management style games, but yeah 30% is a lot.
it's easy to lose track of the math because especially on normal it's easy to beeline research that fixes up the pretty dire food situation. but with no research, 15 hunters bring home enough raw food to make food rations for 30 people. that's a pretty raw deal when you need so many people getting wood, getting coal, etc. soup can instantly change that to 15 people feeding 39, which early on is frequently the difference between requiring two hunter huts and three, which will in turn be the crew for an entire sawmill or gatherer's hut or whatever.

later on soup is pointless because hunters get very efficient with research and investment into flying hunters, and on normal you can beeline the first of these techs so they're available almost immediately. on harder difficulties the research gets a lot slower and soup becomes a much more attractive option as a stopgap.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
................soup time

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Bogart posted:

................soup time

Perfect username/av/post combo. :thumbsup:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Coolguye posted:

it's easy to lose track of the math because especially on normal it's easy to beeline research that fixes up the pretty dire food situation. but with no research, 15 hunters bring home enough raw food to make food rations for 30 people. that's a pretty raw deal when you need so many people getting wood, getting coal, etc. soup can instantly change that to 15 people feeding 39, which early on is frequently the difference between requiring two hunter huts and three, which will in turn be the crew for an entire sawmill or gatherer's hut or whatever.

later on soup is pointless because hunters get very efficient with research and investment into flying hunters, and on normal you can beeline the first of these techs so they're available almost immediately. on harder difficulties the research gets a lot slower and soup becomes a much more attractive option as a stopgap.

This also illustrates how powerful the first hunting tech is; 15 hunters suddenly bring in 20 raw food, providing 40 meals (and even more soup meals).

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I have found that hunters, particularly flying ones are a complete no brainer, particularly vs an industrial hothouse which requires two steam cores. Whats the big difference there? Does it just come down to which one you lean into with your research?

I try to run both because I know all those British peasants will die without potatoes and swedes.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I agree, hunters are generally just better. Hothouses do have some upsides, in that they run at all times of day and require fewer workers while producing a good deal of food. I get the impression that the game wasn't originally going to let hunters provide a limitless and very regular food source, but the developers chose to focus on making other systems more fun instead

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 18, 2019

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

QuarkJets posted:

I agree, hunters are generally just better. Hothouses do have some upsides, in that they run at all times of day and require fewer workers while producing a good deal of food. I get the impression that the game wasn't originally going to let hunters provide a limitless and very regular food source, but the developers chose to focus on making other systems more fun instead

Yeah, just on a thematic level, it's weird that the entire society can be supported exclusively by hunting game in such a desolate area. Even more so when the temp starts getting ludicrously cold. It would make more sense as a supplement for other food sources, at most.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I dont know posted:

Yeah, just on a thematic level, it's weird that the entire society can be supported exclusively by hunting game in such a desolate area. Even more so when the temp starts getting ludicrously cold. It would make more sense as a supplement for other food sources, at most.

"Pork again? Where do the hunters find all these wild pigs? Not that I'm complaining."

"Yeah, me either, working in this cold really builds up an appetite. Hey, on an unrelated note, whatever happened to that column of refugees the scouts spotted last week? Never made it to town, poor bastards."

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Might be less hunting, and more scavenging for animals that froze to death.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

QuarkJets posted:

Hothouses can be operated by the robots too.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Groetgaffel posted:

Might be less hunting, and more scavenging for animals that froze to death.

This is what I figure: they aren’t hunting so much as Meat Miners. Searching for frozen herds of cattle or scavenging supplies like the scouts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Kuiperdolin posted:

Hothouses can be operated by the robots too.

Yeah, Hothouses are great for scenarios like The Arks, where you have few people but access to robots, and can run the Hothouses 24/7. A single Hothouse with a robot produces 72 food a day (modified by robot efficiency), getting up to ~160 per day once you research the techs, making it equivalent to 4 fully upgraded Hunter's Huts.

The problem is, they're gated behind techs you can't get until well past the start of the game, they require resources you might not have, and most of the scenarios actually give you too many people so it doesn't actually address your real problems.