Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

Beamed posted:

Do you guys think there will be a decision to form the Byzantine Empire if you're playing as Rome and conquer its historical borders????

this games byzantine will probably be restoring alexanders borders as Macedonia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Beamed posted:

Do you guys think there will be a decision to form the Byzantine Empire if you're playing as Rome and conquer its historical borders????

Only if you're a Greek culture ruler. And then if you're scandinavian you can form Miklagard.

Come to think of it, I wonder if there'll be any unique mechanics for capital cities.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

RabidWeasel posted:

The one they did yesterday? The guy as Epirus getting annexed by the AI in his first war was hilarious.

This is from a few pages back, but I didn't realize this was Pravus. Here's a link to what happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NlBnXtVwO8

Seems like he had a relatively decent idea of what he was doing, just wasn't expecting the AI to be able to get like three separate alliances after he started the war.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Wow I thought they figured out clear alliance chains like a year into EU4.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

In EU4 they made the AI extremely unlikely to accept an alliance with a country that is currently at war. Seems like that aversion doesn't exist in Imperator. Not sure what to think about that. EU4 introduced condottieri as a way to add an element of unpredictability when declaring war, but full-on alliances and calls to arms after the war started feels kinda lovely.

Predictability rewards good planning. There should be some element of randomness in order to keep players on their toes and force them to adapt, but you still need that element of predictability in order for the experience to feel rewarding. Otherwise you're just clicking the declare war button and praying. Maybe this won't be a factor beyond the first few months, once alliances are mostly figured out?

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Apr 15, 2019

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Here I think the take away is to wait until the AI actually settles before pressing that button

still lovely tho

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Mantis42 posted:

They didn't bother applying that knowledge to HoI 4 either. Large factions still allow in minors about to be crushed across the other side of the world.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

this games byzantine will probably be restoring alexanders borders as Macedonia

I'm pretty sure the Argead Empire is a creatable title.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Randarkman posted:

Honestly there's no good reason that I can think of that an EU game shouldn't use a character system like Rome. It does great for flavor/immersion and is great for civil wars and such. You could even have fashions as regards hair and clothing change with era. It'd be really neat.

Yuuuuuuup. Should be in V3 too.

You could do much with monarchs, advisors, generals, faction/estate leaders.

It would add tons of flavor, connection to your people, fun historic poo poo like when your Catholic monarch is trying to rule a country where your other characters are increasingly Protestant, the ability to sell more cosmetic dlc.

It's arguably too late for Eu4, but if they don't do it for 5 they're screwing up, IMHO.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Gamerofthegame posted:

Here I think the take away is to wait until the AI actually settles before pressing that button

still lovely tho

Yeah I'm mostly in favour of anything which takes away the incentive to immediately declare war as early as possible into a new campaign, also from what I've seen AI allies seem to generally be a bit more useful than they are in EU4 so getting your own allies is something that's probably worth doing.

Mantis42 posted:

Alliances work a bit differently in Imperator so they reintroduced the mechanic where the war leader is always the strongest nation who then gets to call in their own allies, since it's impossible to make alliances across different power levels.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Thinking posted:

mechanics DLCs entirely to disguise the ultimately shallow gameplay and terrible AI

Wait what? Do you think we lock things/create features to hide mistakes by the AI? :psyduck:
I'm trying to wrap my head around this what you are actually trying to say here. Besides just throwing in a stereotypical "AI is shite" in a random complaint post.

Orv posted:

My favorite thing about dev clashes since I've been watching them for various Pafadox titles is that some of the devs just really don't want to let the viewers down. :allears:

Of course some of them are also down to megalomania basically 24/7 so it's a fun balance.

I am very proud of my small kingdom being able to beat the Roman Legions silly :colbert: and I don't give a poo poo what the audience calls me

Groogy fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Apr 15, 2019

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Throwing layers of poorly-working crap at the player to hide how terrible the AI and base gameplay really is is more Firaxis stuff. :v:

Groogy posted:

I am very proud of my small kingdom being able to beat the Roman Legions silly :colbert:
That's pretty cool and worthy of some prais-

quote:

and I don't give a poo poo what the audience calls me
:smith:

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
None of these dev videos are as painful as the HOI one where they're trying to roleplay as their nations, primarily through excruciating fake accents

E: and not one USSR player could hold a frontline

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Poil posted:

Throwing layers of poorly-working crap at the player to hide how terrible the AI and base gameplay really is is more Firaxis stuff. :v:

That's pretty cool and worthy of some prais-

:smith:

I mean as in "I don't give a poo poo that they hate me for loving Kaiser Johan up"
My Bosporan Kingdom is a beast, I get about 220 manpower out of each POP, compared to Rome which is 8 times my size who only get about 100 manpower out of each POP. It's a tight little kingdom that can punch way above it's weight.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Apr 15, 2019

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Groogy posted:

I mean as in "I don't give a poo poo that they hate me for loving Kaiser Johan up"
My Bosporan Kingdom is a beast, I get about 220 manpower out of each POP, compared to Rome which is 8 times my size who only get about 100 manpower out of each POP. It's a tight little kingdom that can punch way above it's weight.

How exactly do you manage that? I'm interested to see just how much you can maximise output in various ways.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

I have literally a breeding area on my Crimean peninsula filled with granaries and I move those pops around. I also keep a high percentage of citizens to keep high tech and pick inventions that benefit my growth, output of freemen, etc. Spend your money on buildings, not mercs. Also keep your pops happy and they perform better.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

That's one thing I was curious about, from watching a bunch of streams etc it does look like it's very easy to make money but if the game is designed that way and you're intended to constantly be funneling it back into buildings then it isn't actually a 'problem' except that it also makes it too easy to hire huge armies of mercenaries. But without actually playing it's very difficult to get a feel for this kind of thing.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Drone posted:

A few people are complaining of absolutely poo poo game performance too (like, in terms of the game actually running).

Interesting, I wonder if it's because of the characters multiplying or what the cause is. Since I wonder if they have anything like the CK2 plague to kill characters off.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

I hired a company to build my house, they came highly recommended as my friends also got them to build their houses and the company stayed to finish the job and kept trying to fix all their mistakes for over 5 years. A lesser builder would have just walked away from the half-finished house so these guys are fantastic. I didn't really need to keep paying them even, technically, but they kept talking me into adding more upgrades to the project which helped fund their fixes. Like to fix the hosed up wiring they installed they sold me on some skylights. When the skylights leaked and the electrical wasn't quite fixed they sold me on new landscaping and trees which unfortunately due to some bad planning ended up casting shadows on the solar system they sold me to finance the fixes for the bad pipes. As long as I keep buying these upgrades, the original deficiencies in the house will be fixed for free.

So Paradox games are like Andean communal self-building practices? That's great because those are way better than mortages and dependancy on landlords

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Pacho posted:

So Paradox games are like Andean communal self-building practices?

lol what in tarnation

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Paradox Grand Strategy: like Andean Communal self-building practices

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Sapa Inca Johan demands that ten more warehouses be built to hold his llama pelts.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Goons have always been terrible at analogies but these are some nosebleed seats right here.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

favorite part of the devclash is the
Dacian-macedonian-bosohoran (and saxonian) alliance and the brotherly feuds

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

lol what in tarnation

This is a living practice. A good portion of homes at least in Peru (where I live) are self-built. The terrain is bought on the cheap and you start crowdfunding the construction among your friends/neighbours/community with food events and parties, the builders are usually part of the community: master builders, plumbers, electricians, etc. and you and your family are expected to do some of the heavy lifting. The houses get built over years and even generations, with the kids building succesive floors. This happens in both the country areas and the mega city where half the country lives. Sometimes this has hilarious/potentially dangerous consequences

https://rpp.pe/peru/apurimac/errores-de-construccion-que-podemos-ver-en-apurimac-noticia-934680/2

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Some rear end in a top hat stole the sidewalk! Also those electrical poles and wires look kinda unsafe. :stonk:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Pacho posted:

This is a living practice. A good portion of homes at least in Peru (where I live) are self-built. The terrain is bought on the cheap and you start crowdfunding the construction among your friends/neighbours/community with food events and parties, the builders are usually part of the community: master builders, plumbers, electricians, etc. and you and your family are expected to do some of the heavy lifting. The houses get built over years and even generations, with the kids building succesive floors. This happens in both the country areas and the mega city where half the country lives. Sometimes this has hilarious/potentially dangerous consequences

https://rpp.pe/peru/apurimac/errores-de-construccion-que-podemos-ver-en-apurimac-noticia-934680/2

So essentially a building society that's not simply financial. Pretty neat.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Don't the Amish do something similar when they raise barns

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I wonder how hard things like matriarchies will be to mod into Imperator since I'm not expecting any rights of women laws in the release. Also you cannot play as steppe nomads, right? So no Scythians riding in to dethrone all the men?

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

Eimi posted:

I wonder how hard things like matriarchies will be to mod into Imperator since I'm not expecting any rights of women laws in the release. Also you cannot play as steppe nomads, right? So no Scythians riding in to dethrone all the men?

I'm pretty sure I remember one of the streamers saying there's a gender equality game setting

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Zohar posted:

I'm pretty sure I remember one of the streamers saying there's a gender equality game setting

Oh wow. Well color me even more excited.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Eimi posted:

In CK2 the female-preference inheritance laws were always supported by the game - they just weren't enabled by default. They were pretty trivial to unlock with a mod and I imagine Imperator will at least have something similar.

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

Eimi posted:

Some countries have gender equality on from the start. There is an option to Allow any nation in the game to switch to gender equality.

Currently there is no drawback of allowing females as you get a bigger selection of characters to pick from.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Eimi posted:

Steppe nomads are playable. They just don't seem to have any unique mechanics to set them apart from other tribals (and the steppe region is pretty empty all in all).

Also you're probably thinking more of the Sarmatians when you're thinking (relative) gender equality (at least when it comes to women regularly being warriors apart from simply being able to defend their homes as was common in most tribal societies, particularly on the steppes where everyone had to be a skilled rider), they started to appear and displace and replace the Scythians towards the end of Imperator's time frame (they were a related people, though both were northern/eastern Iranian peoples, often known as Scytho-Sarmatians).

The earlier Scythians, by contrast, actually seem to have been highly patriarchal, though there is the famous example of Queen Tomyris of the Massagetae Saka (Asian Scythians, who may or may not have been the same people as the European Scythians, though other eastern Scythian peoples such as the Parni/Parthians were very much patriarchal). Though the Sarmatians themselves were very much not a matriarchal society, more accurately simply labelled one where women being warriors was not frowned upon (even then it wasn't close to 50/50, though it may have been as high as 20-25% female warriors, which is a very high proportion for pretty much any period in time).

pdxjohan posted:

Some countries have gender equality on from the start. There is an option to Allow any nation in the game to switch to gender equality.

Currently there is no drawback of allowing females as you get a bigger selection of characters to pick from.

I guess a drawback could maybe be a relations penatly with countries which do not have gender equality? Possibly also for all or most male characters in a country which enables gender quality to get a time-limited loyalty modifier related to their traditional dominance in society being eroded, but disappearing over time (though far quciker in reality as it is a game) as it becomes the new normal.

e: Question related to that. Was the dev clash played with gender equality on? I've seen alot of female generals and governors around, but curiously I believe not for the Romans (I remember plenty for the Carthaginians and many of the others, but none for the Romans, think they've all been men), maybe with the proper conditions fulfilled you can enact the law early on and Rome just never did?

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Apr 16, 2019

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Bug when we were starting so it was available I think, so pretty much everyone decided to pick it.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Groogy posted:

People don't like this?

Everyone teaming up to fight Rome was the best bit!

I was looking forward to Rome breaking, then all the alliances against Rome breaking down. Seems like that might be a bit difficult to do now he got to recover though!

I was wanting to see how KaiserJohan would recover from being beat down into a smaller nation when everyone around him then devolves to fighting with each other.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Stellaris is something entirely new for Paradox, compared to their other games, and because of this they're struggling to figure out a best approach with it. It's a good game, but it's clearly a bit design broken because the attempts to go back to the drawing board over and over again have sorted some parts while leaving other parts behind.

Basically i'm looking forward to Stellaris 2.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I don't mind Stellaris, but I don't find it all that replayable because no matter what species or government type I set up, the gameplay path is pretty much the same - explore, expand, exploit, exterminate. In other Paradox games like Crusader Kings, Europa, and Hearts of Iron, I get a much different play experience if I pick to play in England than if I pick to play in India, for example.

I'm not sure they can do a lot about it at this stage, though.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Gort posted:

I don't mind Stellaris, but I don't find it all that replayable because no matter what species or government type I set up, the gameplay path is pretty much the same - explore, expand, exploit, exterminate. In other Paradox games like Crusader Kings, Europa, and Hearts of Iron, I get a much different play experience if I pick to play in England than if I pick to play in India, for example.

Static galaxies start with pre-defined empires at different levels of development would be a good one I think. Also static galaxy editor. C'mon. If there's anything the game needs it's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Gort posted:

No I agree. I think this is less to do with them and more to do with space 4x games largely becoming sterile experiences. It's difficult to attach any emotional quality to a galaxy wide game. The story lines they occasionally supply for some planets just aren't in depth enough and in the end basically give a sort of A/B end result that's utterly meaningless. It's extremely difficult to resolve this though without going too much into micromanagement mode. I've always felt something akin of Stellar Monarch, in which you have Houses and Empires and have to manage people, not planets, would be a better solution.