Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Yeah, I see no problem with the game going full "Year of the 4/5/6 Emperors"...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

It would be nice if Paradox released more minor patches (and more frequently). Should make it easier on QA too.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Jeoh posted:

It would be nice if Paradox released more minor patches (and more frequently). Should make it easier on QA too.
It's actually the opposite. The less frequently you release the more real work gets done in the long run because you have to spend less time hammering the game into a fully playable state.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

The more frequently you release, the less complex the set of changes to test.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Gamerofthegame posted:

Paradox does have some awful QA, though. Stellaris and HoI iin particular have issues about this, with CK2 and EU4 in general being generic enough to skate by. Namely, things that are attached to a DLC do not tend to get updated with a new DLC/patch as necessary. In Stellaris, the newest big change tripped up gesalt empires because not everything was properly compensated for (though this was swiftly fixed, but not the point) and in HoI as a rule of thumb all countries with focus trees in Together for Victory break every new big DLC. For instance, when Waking the Tiger came out Germany could go not-Hitler, but a bunch of Commonwealth tries required Hitler to be Hitlering to actually progress whatsoever, like South Africa's Commonwealth branch. Man the Guns in particular is a huge mess for them, as pretty much all of their naval focus trees still point to the old designs for ships across the board, including giving you those old, now extremely overpowered ships if it gives you a free boat/design. This too was fixed by now, mostly, but still.

Maybe calling QA bad is an overstatement, as it's relatively rare they're trash happy. But the actual testing environment and double checking their work is weirdly awful.

I decided to have a game of Stellaris for the first time since the new pop system came out a few months ago. Played as materialist egalitarians, plodded along pretty normally, enjoying the new features, did the project to ascend my population into robot bodies.

Then, I noticed something odd. My bigger planets which were already full up on districts and buildings were suffering from crippling unemployment. That seemed weird since I had several colonies in my empire, so the behaviour I had expected to see was that the unemployed pops in my core worlds out to migrate out to the colonies. This had helped me fill up previous expansions before, why wasn't that happening now? Turns out in the current version of Stellaris synthetic pops cannot migrate, even if they have full rights, even if they're your own primary species that was perfectly happy to migrate before going synthetic. I can't tell is this is a bug, oversight, or design decision, but either way it compounds with my having to manually force every single planet to produce my new pops instead of other robots that it just leaves me wondering if anyone actually tested this new system on older things like synthetic ascension to really understand how they'd work.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Populations in Stellaris doesn't migrate as they did, now the setting just allows them to grow new pops on other planets. They never move. There is a decision you can enact which stops population growth on a planet. The only way to prevent the eventual unemployment and homelessness is to use that or manually force-moving populations yourself (if you have the tyrannical law enabled to do so). It's so fun to fiddle with that all the time.

Uh... unless you mean that synthetics which are built in robot factories cannot even do that. I haven't actually used them so I don't know. In the game I tried I got bored long before I randomly lucked into the required tech for synths. Hell even just the tech for droids and to let me get cyborgs took way too long too so I was I sitting on multiple available ascension perks for years and years, as usual.

Poil fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Apr 14, 2019

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Poil posted:

Populations in Stellaris doesn't migrate as they did, now the setting just allows them to grow new pops on other planets. They never move. There is a decision you can enact which stops population growth on a planet. The only way to prevent the eventual unemployment and homelessness is to use that or manually force-moving populations yourself (if you have the tyrannical law enabled to do so). It's so fun to fiddle with that all the time.

Uh... unless you mean that synthetics which are built in robot factories cannot even do that. I haven't actually used them so I don't know. In the game I tried I got bored long before I randomly lucked into the required tech for synths.

I'm aware it has changed, but before ascension when the core worlds got overpopulated migration would increase pop growth elsewhere while causing decline on my homeworlds, which was functionally similar enough. Built pops are unaffected by migration, no decline, no growth elsewhere.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Reveilled posted:

I'm aware it has changed, but before ascension when the core worlds got overpopulated migration would increase pop growth elsewhere while causing decline on my homeworlds, which was functionally similar enough. Built pops are unaffected by migration, no decline, no growth elsewhere.
Oh, right. Sorry I completely misunderstood. I'm not surprised it doesn't work though.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Party In My Diapee posted:

The problem is that losing the civil war means game over.

One of my fondest memories of a (modded) EU:Rome was when I conquered southern Italy, Greece and the Anatolian coastline as Pyrrhus of Epirus. Shortly after he died of old age his successor (I believe a grandson) also died leaving the throne to his mediocre brother. Pyrrhus' top general took the opportunity to try and take control of the kingdom and after a long and bloody war I had to concede defeat leaving me with a new dynasty with a new ruler with god-like stats.

EU:Rome had a lot of issues but that game was one of my favourite Paradox game runs ever.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Jeoh posted:

The more frequently you release, the less complex the set of changes to test.
From a technical point of view you still need to do a regression pass which is a pretty fixed effort no matter what the change is.

For strategy games you have a balance pass for anything that isn't UIX which would really terrify me as a release manager too. Expansion breakfixes and yearly content patches that do or don't come with the expansion are about as agile as I'd want them to be.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I haven’t seen it but apparently civil wars are fairly common in imperator. Which I like because for the most part civil wars aren’t usually a big deal in paradox games.

Like only CK has anything resembling a threat on that front

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

I am rather cautious about buying I:R because of what happened to Stellaris.

I think this convinced me to buy I:R.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

CharlestheHammer posted:

I haven’t seen it but apparently civil wars are fairly common in imperator. Which I like because for the most part civil wars aren’t usually a big deal in paradox games.

Like only CK has anything resembling a threat on that front

I hope it's more like CK2 vassal civil wars (politically manageable, dangerous when you let it happen), and less like regular rebellions in the other games an even CK2 itself (based on a % revolt risk, easy to crush, only annoying)

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

I was watching Shenryyr play the dev game thing and the only thing I said the whole time was "Imperator: Civil War Simulator". He looked at chat and said "I agree, Chomp" and then when the devs were talking to the players at the end he said to them "I think you misnamed your game. It should be 'Imperator: Civil War Simulator' " and there was an awkward silence.

lol

From that dude it seemes self caused though, might not be the best idea to have "bleeding them dry" province edict when you want a happy populace. Also quite funny that in the dividing the spoils stream Caledonia is now the most technologically advanced are in the game since the player there turned everyone in his country into citizens.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

CharlestheHammer posted:

They are streaming the players who have no idea what they are doing thing again and it’s interesting to say the least.

They have no idea how peace mechanics work and there is no one there to give them any help.

This is super mean to the devs, they're not that bad

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Dwesa posted:

I am rather cautious about buying I:R because of what happened to Stellaris.

I think this convinced me to buy I:R.

imperator is eu4.5 and ck2.2

so it'll be fine. the main concern isn't it being a trash heap it's whether or not it'll be super different from eu4 or not

Orv
May 4, 2011
My favorite thing about dev clashes since I've been watching them for various Pafadox titles is that some of the devs just really don't want to let the viewers down. :allears:

Of course some of them are also down to megalomania basically 24/7 so it's a fun balance.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Pump it up! Do it! posted:

Also quite funny that in the dividing the spoils stream Caledonia is now the most technologically advanced are in the game since the player there turned everyone in his country into citizens.

I'm not too familiar with the systems yet (seeing as, well, the game isn't actually out yet) but wouldn't this leave you pretty broke with very little manpower?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I have always wanted the civil wars from Rome ported to other Paradox games, like EUIV.

Like the war of the roses or whatever should have dynamic York/Lancaster tags which can build new armies and hold territory and such.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Fintilgin posted:

I have always wanted the civil wars from Rome ported to other Paradox games, like EUIV.

Like the war of the roses or whatever should have dynamic York/Lancaster tags which can build new armies and hold territory and such.

Honestly there's no good reason that I can think of that an EU game shouldn't use a character system like Rome. It does great for flavor/immersion and is great for civil wars and such. You could even have fashions as regards hair and clothing change with era. It'd be really neat.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

trapped mouse posted:

I'm not too familiar with the systems yet (seeing as, well, the game isn't actually out yet) but wouldn't this leave you pretty broke with very little manpower?

Pretty much, his manpower is absolutely poo poo but due to being a tribal society he have clan retinues with their own manpower pool and cost and thanks to the tech advantage he can beat up much larger enemies. Katz also did something similar in the dev stream.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
I wonder if it's possible to do the inverse and convert Rome into a tribe.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Lol the youtubers stream thing has turned into poo poo and everyone is pissed

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Well that sounds delightful, link?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I’m just watching one of their streams on YouTube but it’s calmed down now. They had severe technical issues that forced them to revert which allowed Rome to mercenary snipe and basically win the war for them.

Then the game disconnected but the AI took control and made a peace for everyone. Then they just had to play through.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

A few people are complaining of absolutely poo poo game performance too (like, in terms of the game actually running).

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Gamerofthegame posted:

Paradox does have some awful QA, though. Stellaris and HoI iin particular have issues about this, with CK2 and EU4 in general being generic enough to skate by. Namely, things that are attached to a DLC do not tend to get updated with a new DLC/patch as necessary. In Stellaris, the newest big change tripped up gesalt empires because not everything was properly compensated for (though this was swiftly fixed, but not the point) and in HoI as a rule of thumb all countries with focus trees in Together for Victory break every new big DLC. For instance, when Waking the Tiger came out Germany could go not-Hitler, but a bunch of Commonwealth tries required Hitler to be Hitlering to actually progress whatsoever, like South Africa's Commonwealth branch. Man the Guns in particular is a huge mess for them, as pretty much all of their naval focus trees still point to the old designs for ships across the board, including giving you those old, now extremely overpowered ships if it gives you a free boat/design. This too was fixed by now, mostly, but still.

Maybe calling QA bad is an overstatement, as it's relatively rare they're trash happy. But the actual testing environment and double checking their work is weirdly awful.

not to put too fine a point on it but: if everyone who preordered MtG or got it from the Season Pass played the game for a single hour after the patch hit, that would amount to more play-test time than if the entirety of Paradox, both PDS and PI, did nothing but play the finished release-version of the patch/DLC for 8 hours a day, 40 hours a week, for an entire year. That doesn't excuse the bugs, but I think it puts them into perspective. Some of the things you mentioned are more forgivable, of course, than others. In some cases there are no simple solutions (like pretty much all of TfV assuming Britain is democratic) and that is as frustrating for us as it is for you.

Maybe we should include a list of "bugs you won't ever see in this release because they were fixed during development and never saw the light of day" with every patch, but that would be a very long list indeed.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

ArchangeI posted:

not to put too fine a point on it but: if everyone who preordered MtG or got it from the Season Pass played the game for a single hour after the patch hit, that would amount to more play-test time than if the entirety of Paradox, both PDS and PI, did nothing but play the finished release-version of the patch/DLC for 8 hours a day, 40 hours a week, for an entire year. That doesn't excuse the bugs, but I think it puts them into perspective. Some of the things you mentioned are more forgivable, of course, than others. In some cases there are no simple solutions (like pretty much all of TfV assuming Britain is democratic) and that is as frustrating for us as it is for you.

Maybe we should include a list of "bugs you won't ever see in this release because they were fixed during development and never saw the light of day" with every patch, but that would be a very long list indeed.

Yeah these games have a bunch of really complex systems interacting with each other and no professional QA is going to match the hundreds of thousands of consumer hours reached only in the first week after release.

Paradox haven't release a game that was actually fundamentally broken since Vicky 2. Overall 'wait a minute, there's no actual game here' factor has gradually diminished. The only complaint I think has legs is that there's no excuse for releasing an expansion premised on 'what if a non-hitler germany?' and you just break half the focus trees in the game rather than do even a minimal pass on them'.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Alchenar posted:

Paradox haven't release a game that was actually fundamentally broken since Vicky 2.

Stellaris

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I thought it’s problem was it was empty not broken.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Drone posted:

A few people are complaining of absolutely poo poo game performance too (like, in terms of the game actually running).

This is not good news because my PC is definitely not up to the recommended spec

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

CharlestheHammer posted:

I thought it’s problem was it was empty not broken.

imo having the AI so unable to use the mechanics that planets throughout their empire are perpetually undeveloped and starving qualifies as broken. This lasted all the way from release to 2.0. It would still be ok if it were only isolated incidents but most AI's in every game would fall into this. Just a galaxy full of starving pops standing in empty fields.

This is without getting into just bad but not technically broken things like the original hyperlane/warp/wormhole system. Good grief lol.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Yeah Stellaris's problem is that it tried to do the same thing that every game that tried to copy the Master of Orion do, which is try to be as good as everyone remembers an overrated old game to be.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

“I convinced myself that this would be the grand strategy game to end all grand strategy games” is not the same thing as a game being broken, no matter what Games would like to think

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Soup du Jour posted:

“I convinced myself that this would be the grand strategy game to end all grand strategy games” is not the same thing as a game being broken, no matter what Games would like to think

lol you definitely did not see my posts in the Stellaris pre-release thread that's for sure.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Stellaris just isn't really a grand strategy game in the same way as other paradox games. It was flawed at release because it was a different game to their others in ways that they were pretty inexperienced with. There were great ideas on paper that ended up getting scrapped, like the multiple FTL methods, which resulted in a far better game - but I don't think you can blame them for not being able to predict those issues.

CK2 and EU4 worked well out the gates, and I'm sure Stellaris 2 and Stellaris 4 will do the same.

In terms of Imperator, it's far closer to their core grand strategy games so I'm confident it'll be better at release than Stellaris could ever have been.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

HOI4 was pretty bad on release but that's probably because of how ambitious it was.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

RabidWeasel posted:

This is not good news because my PC is definitely not up to the recommended spec
This is not something I ever thought about when thinking about Paradox title. But considering the number of provinces in I:R, maybe I should actually check the specs.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 14, 2019

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Dwesa posted:

This is not something I ever thought about when thinking about Paradox title. But considering the number of provinces in I:R, maybe I should actually check the specs.

Steam minimum specs are very similar/identical to Stellaris and HOI4 and they both run fine on my lovely laptop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Do you guys think there will be a decision to form the Byzantine Empire if you're playing as Rome and conquer its historical borders????