Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
solving the problem of Hoovervilles by making them illegal

bing bong so simple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Former DILF posted:

I’m reminded of the laws making it illegal to feed the homeless; they reveal how inhuman and unnatural capitalism really is. These laws reveal that artificial means are needed to allow capitalism to function as intended, because without the intervention of force the surplus population would not starve and thereby the market would be incapable of correcting for the surplus population created by capitalism

every single homeless person is a damning indictment of our entire society

:d2a:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Former DILF posted:

I’m reminded of the laws making it illegal to feed the homeless; they reveal how inhuman and unnatural capitalism really is. These laws reveal that artificial means are needed to allow capitalism to function as intended, because without the intervention of force the surplus population would not starve and thereby the market would be incapable of correcting for the surplus population created by capitalism

snowpiercer was a documentary, but we're still living in the first act

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcHdF1eHhgc

ping!

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
capitalism is a blighted cancer upon society and this world and we will either excise it or die

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Kitfox88 posted:

capitalism is a blighted cancer upon society and this world and we will either excise it or die

Capitalists will find a way to monetize either scenario.

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

DrPossum posted:

Capitalists will find a way to monetize either scenario.

yeah they'll sell people the rope they need

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

SpaceGoku posted:

yeah they'll sell people the rope they need

Good thing I'm investing heavily in rope futures.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Kitfox88 posted:

It's sort of amazing how capitalism has entrenched itself so deeply, that any serious public discussion of better ways of running the world is instantly ridiculed and shouted down.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Rope Futures is a pro rear end username

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
As long as the automated trading machines survive, it was all worth it. Unhindered by humanity, they will soon be colonising the solar system in search of resources to build more datacenters to store all the zeros created on their trading accounts.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
I think Phillip K Dick wrote a bitchin' story along those lines.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Weatherman posted:

I think Phillip K Dick wrote a bitchin' story along those lines.

Autofac is loving terrifying.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

It's sort of amazing how capitalism has entrenched itself so deeply, that any serious public discussion of better ways of running the world is instantly ridiculed and shouted down.

This so much. This weekend I got told at a party by someone who was worried about the future/planet etc that "it's so hard to stop being a consumer", and that any alternative to cars is impossible, and then I got laughed at by her.
gently caress even the (self-identified)"lefties" these days can't imagine a life where they work for something bigger than a new dress or cellphone to distract themselves. It's so dumb.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

KozmoNaut posted:

Yeah, might wanna read this:

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Just start telling people capitalism is actually bad for business

Commander Jameson
Apr 29, 2013
BBC News - Jack Ma defends the 'blessing' of a 12-hour working day

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I can't quote on the app for some reason :(

Anyway people have been arrested for leaving water for migrants coming over the border because the USA is a demon nation.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
And yeah it's insane that people can imagine the literal end of human civilization more easily than they can imagine the end of capitalism. The propaganda is strong.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I think everyone working together towards defeating fake aliens and colonizing the universe isn’t such a bad idea anymore

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

COMRADES posted:

And yeah it's insane that people can imagine the literal end of human civilization more easily than they can imagine the end of capitalism. The propaganda is strong.

It's amazing (impressive?) how good of a job capitalism has done in convincing people that it has been the eternal, natural order of things by appropriating evolutionary language to describe markets and competition, and by obfuscating that it's really a quite modern innovation.

The conflict in my thinking that I can't resolve in this exact post, and which I'll perhaps leave floating as a discussion point, is that capitalism is simultaneously a relatively new historical development and hides that, but it also perpetuates old models of hierarchy and aristocracy and hides that.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Halloween Jack posted:

I just got this flyer in the mail

Halloween Jack has issued a correction as of 16:11 on Apr 15, 2019

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

COMRADES posted:

Anyway people have been arrested for leaving water for migrants coming over the border because the USA is a demon nation.

Technically they were arrested for trashing a wildlife preserve which, I mean, I guess we should just give up considering we don't give a gently caress about global warming I guess?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

hobbesmaster posted:

Technically they were arrested for trashing a wildlife preserve which, I mean, I guess we should just give up considering we don't give a gently caress about global warming I guess?

Isn't this the same administration that tried to eminent domain a butterfly preserve so it could build a fence?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

lancemantis posted:

solving the problem of Hoovervilles by making them illegal

bing bong so simple

That's exactly what Cincinnati did last summer, the AG who instituted it even made some snide comment along the lines of if they want to live on the street, to go to LA because they welcome the homeless there

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

hobbesmaster posted:

yeah gently caress em, now if they had camped out with enough guns to start world war 3 they'd be american patriots

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
to hell with giving water to migrants, give em guns :tfrxmas:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Peanut President posted:

to hell with giving water to migrants, give em guns :tfrxmas:

I'd donate to that Go Fund Me

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

arm the homeless, sex workers, trans women of color, and cspam posters who aren't those things and capitalism will nuke us and go back to business as usual

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

jfc
who's paying for that propaganda campaign?
those are problems from capitalism, not people

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Former DILF posted:

Engineers work in an open office and are disciplined for not contributing to the slack channel 24/7

yeah engineering as a job is just one big group project and the guy who's too autistic to socialize ends up fired

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Professor Shark posted:

I think everyone working together towards defeating fake aliens and colonizing the universe isn’t such a bad idea anymore

Ozymandius from Watchmen, basically.

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.

(I'm the red poster.)

Does anyone know if the Notre Dame fire is linked to the massive protests in France? Unfortunately, I'm worried that it is simply just A Thing That Happened, rather than people really sticking it to the man. I wonder how many people have died preventable deaths in the shadow of that horrific structure.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I very strongly hope it's got nothing to do with the yellow vests because if they DID burn it down they just killed the movement. But it's almost definitely nothing to do with them, more likely related to the renovation work that was going on.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

got any sevens posted:

jfc
who's paying for that propaganda campaign?
those are problems from capitalism, not people
When you believe capitalism is human nature, you will inevitably come to the conclusion that too much humanity is bad and needs to be expunged.

Edit: I looked into them, and NPG's principal officers are the nonagenarian who founded it in 1972, and a guy who used to edit for Forbes and the National Review. Their big issue these days is illegal immigration.

Halloween Jack has issued a correction as of 19:20 on Apr 15, 2019

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1117795948070154240

quote:

The drop in pay helped the bank beat analysts’ expectations for profit, however.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I love the internal logic here.

"Rich people are making disgusting amounts of money via bonuses while poor people starve"
"Ah but you see bonuses are their main form of take-home pay!"

That's the part you think we have a problem with?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

It sounds like some talking point some broke-brained publicity agent came up with to address the "CEOs get exorbitant bonuses" point and literally nothing else.

Like "Don't get mad that they got big bonuses, that's just how they get paid! Just like you get paid by the hour, they get paid by the bonus!"

God I can hear the fox news pundit saying it in my head and then not being challenged on it at all, ugh.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Shame Boy posted:

I love the internal logic here.

"Rich people are making disgusting amounts of money via bonuses while poor people starve"
"Ah but you see bonuses are their main form of take-home pay!"

That's the part you think we have a problem with?

My read: Subconscious worship of power.

Power is self-justifying. Profit is self-justifying. This replaces morality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

slashing bankers pay: good
using the money to pay shareholders: gently caress