Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Medullah posted:

Sadly I wasn't able to score too many free drink tickets so my Visa card is very angry.

Were you the one who came up to the table to talk to us right at the beginning?

Okay first of all, you hosed up, we always have more drink tickets. But thank you for helping us hit our bar tab minimum without much trouble :P

But yeah, I'm pretty sure I came and hung out right at the start(?); were you sitting in the darkness?

Enough of the Medullah/Pryce lovefest though, everyone else tell me what you think/love/hate about the announcement so I can bring it back to the team. We're extremely extremely nervous about stuff and want to help address concerns as early and earnestly as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Pryce posted:

Okay first of all, you hosed up, we always have more drink tickets. But thank you for helping us hit our bar tab minimum without much trouble :P

But yeah, I'm pretty sure I came and hung out right at the start(?); were you sitting in the darkness?

Enough of the Medullah/Pryce lovefest though, everyone else tell me what you think/love/hate about the announcement so I can bring it back to the team. We're extremely extremely nervous about stuff and want to help address concerns as early and earnestly as possible.

Okay yeah you were a good dude and I was looking for you to ask some questions about how your dev process works (I work in software) that I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be able to answer. :D

I am pretty psyched about the expansion. My two biggest concerns I already relayed to Eric and he said I'm not alone, the suspicious lack of any talk about PvP gear separation again, and also that the idea of Horizontal progression is really cool as long as it's not an illusion - like skill trees gave you the illusion of all these choices, but realistically there were only a couple of viable options. I'd really like to see, to use Eric's example, a Lightning Sorcerer with a couple viable builds for the hardcore players.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Sounds cool.

Tell them to add Collection dye colors and just make them cost a lot of CC.

Will Dxun ONLY be the Op? And why the hell is it not Mandalorian themed, Dxun was their ancestral home for a long loving time.

Will the Tactical mod poo poo let us change up weapons? Can I become a single saber wielding Assassin, at least in PvE? Can my Operative FINALLY just rock a sweet James Bond pistol instead of a rifle?

I get that silhouette and whatnot matter in PVP, but whatever, I'm talking PvE. Let us do whatever.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 15, 2019

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

I wasn't kidding about the ortolan companion, I've been wanting one for ages.

Oh and I wasn't kidding when I asked nonentity several months ago to make a mount that's basically a platform upon which you continually dance, either (preferably with some kind of disco or laser effects).

Other than that I'm not very picky, I'll play just about any Star Wars SP content really so I'm happy whenever something new arrives.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Fuzz posted:

Sounds cool.

Tell them to add Collection dye colors and just make them cost a lot of CC.

Will Dxun ONLY be the Op? And why the hell is it not Mandalorian themed, Dxun was their ancestral home for a long loving time.

Will the Tactical mod poo poo let us change up weapons? Can I become a single saber wielding Assassin, at least in PvE? Can my Operative FINALLY just rock a sweet James Bond pistol instead of a rifle?

I get that silhouette and whatnot matter in PVP, but whatever, I'm talking PvE. Let us do whatever.

I asked Eric specifically about weapons in outfit designer. He said it's something they really want to do but the work effort is huge, and right now they're more focused on expansion work.

I don't ever see them allowing for weapon changes. That would be an extraordinary work effort to redo all animations for all moves.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Medullah posted:

I asked Eric specifically about weapons in outfit designer. He said it's something they really want to do but the work effort is huge, and right now they're more focused on expansion work.

I don't ever see them allowing for weapon changes. That would be an extraordinary work effort to redo all animations for all moves.

They could fund it by selling the original tracer missile animation to that one weirdo for 500,000 cartel coins.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

It's been a while since we saw that dude.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Sombrerotron posted:

Other than that I'm not very picky, I'll play just about any Star Wars SP content really so I'm happy whenever something new arrives.
Upon re-reading this, I feel I should clarify that I do very much appreciate actual effort and creativity being put into SP content (and MP content too of course, but in all honesty the vast majority of my time with TOR is spent soloing). I just won't be posting death threats or whatever if something new's a little lacklustre.

I might do so if I don't get my whimsical way with companions and mounts, however.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Moon Slayer posted:

It's been a while since we saw that dude.

Quiet say his name one more time and we'll summon him

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

Pryce posted:

I like getting new abilities but I feel like ability bloat has gotten a bit bad, maybe for some classes more than others, so I'd like to know if there's going to be any reworking of current abilities to reduce the number of them or anything as well as getting new abilities.

Other than that my only concern is the gearing stuff, which probably just needs a detailed explanation including how you get it, how many options there are, does everything work in both pve/pvp or would there be things that only work in one and not the other, etc. Also maybe I'm not entirely understanding it but there are the new tactical items, but also a variety of new set bonuses? Do the set bonuses work the same way now, where they're on an armoring? If you want to have multiple set bonuses that you switch between, do you have to have a different armoring for each type you want? Like do you need to carry these items around with you? Or will there be a way to easily switch between them without micromanaging what gear you have with you? Or do tactical items just change the set bonuses or something?

Basically I liked everything but I'm just confused about the gear stuff.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Medullah posted:

I get that, but in a lot of cases for sabers the existing animation would still work, and in the others you could just steal the animations from one of the single saber using classes and no one would care.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Sombrerotron posted:

I wasn't kidding about the ortolan companion, I've been wanting one for ages.

Playable Ortolan jugg or gtfo.

Pryce
May 21, 2011
Tons and tons of details about itemization/gearing is forthcoming, we've barely even broached the surface of what's planned. Tacticals is only a single system, we haven't mentioned the other stuff :)

Definitely fair concerns about how this shakes out though; I think we're all hyperaware of recent game releases and itemization decisions across many other games (not just the obvious ones you're probably thinking of) and are making sure we address every common concern about how 'horizontal progression' tends to work out.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Medullah posted:

Okay yeah you were a good dude and I was looking for you to ask some questions about how your dev process works (I work in software) that I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be able to answer. :D

I am pretty psyched about the expansion. My two biggest concerns I already relayed to Eric and he said I'm not alone, the suspicious lack of any talk about PvP gear separation again, and also that the idea of Horizontal progression is really cool as long as it's not an illusion - like skill trees gave you the illusion of all these choices, but realistically there were only a couple of viable options. I'd really like to see, to use Eric's example, a Lightning Sorcerer with a couple viable builds for the hardcore players.

PvP gear isn’t needed. If 252 bolster isn’t good enough the problem isn’t gear. My Jugg, to use an extreme example, already has 3 sets of gear and doesn’t need more.

PvP’ers don’t want PvP gear we want to be able to earn current gear thru PvP instead of boring dailies and WB’s. A mission that gives a 252 crate for 10 dailies OR the reg weekly completed would be a good start.

All Lightning needs is a straight damage buff to Thundering Blast. I got my Lightning Sorc up to Gold this season, the problem isn’t that Lightning isn’t viable it’s that builds like Arsenal are brain dead easy. Edit: especially in Arenas where coordinated Nets and HSM burst windows are the hand of God.

Abilities like Thundering Blast need a fine touch since it’s a guaranteed crit and Internal damage. Just like PT’s that are gimped solo but overpowered in premades. People who talk about giving them Merc Kolto don’t know the pain of meeting my Pyro PT backed by heals and Guard.a

DrunkenGarbageCan fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 15, 2019

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Moon Slayer posted:

Let me romance M1-4X you cowards.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

"I have achieved incredible results !!"

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

PvP gear isn’t needed. If 252 bolster isn’t good enough the problem isn’t gear. My Jugg, to use an extreme example, already has 3 sets of gear and doesn’t need more.

PvP’ers don’t want PvP gear we want to be able to earn current gear thru PvP instead of boring dailies and WB’s. A mission that gives a 252 crate for 10 dailies OR the reg weekly completed would be a good start.

All Lightning needs is a straight damage buff to Thundering Blast. I got my Lightning Sorc up to Gold this season, the problem isn’t that Lightning isn’t viable it’s that builds like Arsenal are brain dead easy. Edit: especially in Arenas where coordinated Nets and HSM burst windows are the hand of God.

Abilities like Thundering Blast need a fine touch since it’s a guaranteed crit and Internal damage. Just like PT’s that are gimped solo but overpowered in premades. People who talk about giving them Merc Kolto don’t know the pain of meeting my Pyro PT backed by heals and Guard.a

Yeah that's true. The biggest problem this round is forcing people into activities they don't want to do to gear up. I liked Expertise because PvP gear was fairly easy to get and the best PvP gear wasn't as good in PvE as the lowest end PvE gear.

I'm also the crazy guy that thinks you should only get top tier PvE gear through the most difficult content - EV should not drop the same thing as ToS

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Medullah posted:

I'm also the crazy guy that thinks you should only get top tier PvE gear through the most difficult content - EV should not drop the same thing as ToS

I, on the other hand, and the crazy guy that likes the CXP system with 252 Bolster in its current form. Do whatever you want and earn gear steadily, the bleeding edge stuff just gets you the gear faster.

Just like you see top end PvE gear as a reward I see the 5-10% boost you get in PvP from 258 as a reward from putting in the work. That's not an insurmountable or even difficult advantage to overcome, just a little cherry on top.

My Mara was my first full 258/236 char and the first time I hit some poor Sorc healer with a 34k Furious Strike followed immediately by a 32k Burst...:black101:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah I'm good with that. We'll see how the Tactical system works.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

The only big thing I can think of is that I'd like it if there was some unique looking gear in the Ops, and maybe be able to get more old gear somehow.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Siegkrow posted:

The only big thing I can think of is that I'd like it if there was some unique looking gear in the Ops, and maybe be able to get more old gear somehow.

I think that if I couldn't keep using my old Battlemaster/War Hero recipes to find my expensive tastes I'd finally quit this game for good, though.

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Is there a simplified flowchart somewhere for how to get from the end of the class story to the current end game content the fastest? I left 15ish characters in between levels 50 and 65 when I played this last, and I really don't need to see the KOTET/KOTFE story more than the once I already have.

Also, did they ever fix Loremaster to be achievable again?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

araeris posted:

Is there a simplified flowchart somewhere for how to get from the end of the class story to the current end game content the fastest? I left 15ish characters in between levels 50 and 65 when I played this last, and I really don't need to see the KOTET/KOTFE story more than the once I already have.

Also, did they ever fix Loremaster to be achievable again?

You can start Ossus from your ship as soon as you hit level 70, it will auto complete all the previous content.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Medullah posted:

You can start Ossus from your ship as soon as you hit level 70, it will auto complete all the previous content.

Also, skip the planetary missions and just do the class storyline.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Dammit Non-Entity, you forgot to remind me that it was my chance to pester Keith directly for my Empire Luke Taun-Taun regen toy I've wanted for years.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Starting this for the first time with a Sith Jugg. I tried back when Hutt Cartel came out and didn't get very far, but I'm getting into it and enjoying it now. Preferred Status player for the moment. What should I know to get off the ground? Back when I started, there was none of this Bulwark/Pummeller gear that seems to take a lot of the thought out of gearing when leveling.

A sub seems to be worth it, but only because of how much you need to fork over for anything else.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
You will probably want to sub for one month after hitting 50/55 to unlock the rest of the game. Subbing both permanently unlocks all of the expansions and (if you haven't already unlocked preferred status) permanently removes about 80% of the lovely QOL restrictions on F2P players.

The main reasons to subscribe are the higher credit cap, raiding, and PVP. If you don't care about those things, there's very little benefit to subscribing.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Playing this again for some reason to keep me occupied till the next FFXIV expansion

I'm in a rut because I really want to play a shadow/assassin but I've already done the Inquisitor class story and the Consular just seems so lame

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
I found dark side consular to be pretty entertaining.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Cease to Hope posted:

I found dark side consular to be pretty entertaining.

This is what I'm playing atm, on Hoth right now and soy far it's okay. Better than Trooper, that's for sure, but not that amazing yet. Theran/Holiday and Qyzen are great, though, definitely some of the better companions in the game.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Fuzz posted:

This is what I'm playing atm, on Hoth right now and soy far it's okay. Better than Trooper, that's for sure, but not that amazing yet. Theran/Holiday and Qyzen are great, though, definitely some of the better companions in the game.

I should add that I found Theran annoying as poo poo (and I played DS consular back when he was the healing companion so I was more or less stuck with him), so if you enjoy his writing, you may enjoy DS consular even more than I did.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Cease to Hope posted:

I should add that I found Theran annoying as poo poo (and I played DS consular back when he was the healing companion so I was more or less stuck with him), so if you enjoy his writing, you may enjoy DS consular even more than I did.

Oh, his personality is annoying and terrible, I just find the fact that he's a nerdy shut in with a holographic waifu to be hilarious and on the nose. The fact that he's kinda up his own rear end and insufferable is sort of the nature of the beast with that kind of character. Thankfully I can just roll with Qyzen 24/7 and then check in at the ship to get a brief interlude into techboy and waifu trying to impress the science illuminati by breaking physics.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Cease to Hope posted:

I should add that I found Theran annoying as poo poo

Yes, yet somehow less so than Guss, Doc, or Talos.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

XBenedict posted:

Talos annoying? What's it like to have no soul

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

XBenedict posted:

I like Guss, and Theran is about as annoying to me as Doc. I don't think I remember Talos very well.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Talos was perfectly fine. I didn't really feel anything for any of the :smug:ler companions.

Skadge is bad. The Hoth monster and the Inquisitor's apprentice are dumb. The Agent has a pretty inoffensive roster (yes, I even find Kaliyo to be fine; the Agent knows how to play her like a fiddle). Rusk is boring, Doc is irritating, but if you want an all-star companion cast, I'd say the Trooper is your class. There was never a moment with the Trooper companions where I thought, "Why are you here?" or "I want to vent you into space."

Malavai Quinn.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
to be fair, aric and elara have no discernible personality whatsoever in vanilla

so of course they're the love interests

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Been catching up on the story and finally got to Ossus. Cool planet, really like the colors, and the character model for Tau is really good. I doubt they will, but it'd be nice if Lana and some others could get reskinned in that style.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
What exactly is the process if you're not in the US and Origin sells you a deluxe pack code for SWTOR that, according to the TOR code redemption screen, has already been used? Origin tells me to contact SWTOR support, but any international call feels like throwing more money after lost money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

What exactly is the process if you're not in the US and Origin sells you a deluxe pack code for SWTOR that, according to the TOR code redemption screen, has already been used? Origin tells me to contact SWTOR support, but any international call feels like throwing more money after lost money.

There's a Skype number you can call for free.