Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

COMRADES posted:

Ozymandius from Watchmen, basically.

Yeah that’s what I was going for

The part about the drop in paying helping to beat analyst predictions is one boot-lickin’-good take, holy crap lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/chelsealockw00d/status/443120166482612224

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

The Nastier Nate posted:

slashing bankers pay: good

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

You should drive if the train will make you late.

Can you pay me more so I can afford a car?

No, you come in late and expect a bonus?!

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Outrail posted:

You should drive if the train will make you late.

Can you pay me more so I can afford a car?

No, you come in late and expect a bonus?!

*fires you and hires someone more desperate for less* free market binch

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Maybe if the trains were like in Japan where if they're even a minute late you get a tearful, anxious apology from the CEO of the train company then trains being late not being a valid excuse might be slightly more understandable

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

steinrokkan posted:

As long as the automated trading machines survive, it was all worth it. Unhindered by humanity, they will soon be colonising the solar system in search of resources to build more datacenters to store all the zeros created on their trading accounts.

economics 2.0

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

get that target employee an account

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
If target saw that post they'd ask which store so they could 'get the employee the help he needs'.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Boss isn’t good at business, start blaming the employees and loving grilling them for bullshit

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

uber_stoat posted:

economics 2.0

Me, 2009: wow this book is wild what a fun time the future will be!

Me, 2019: oh god this is coming true I'm gonna havta ride a Coke can-sized piece of computronium out of the solar system to escape all these hosed up apes aren't I?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Accelerando shows what the right thinks the singularity will be, Glasshouse did fully automated gay space communism and brain worms before it was cool.

If you want to know what my dream society looks like, it's that first section of the book loving the anime robot, having gay sex, and doing drugs with nanomachines.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

reminded me of this, and it might help wash down that bullshit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qqDIqlGUFE

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

people who made that should, literally, kill themselves

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shame Boy posted:

Maybe if the trains were like in Japan where if they're even a minute late you get a tearful, anxious apology from the CEO of the train company then trains being late not being a valid excuse might be slightly more understandable

You also get a note or something explaining it was all their fault.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Halser posted:

reminded me of this, and it might help wash down that bullshit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qqDIqlGUFE

yeah this rules

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
One of the only things that capitalism hasn't taken from the joy of our own humanity is raising our own healthy children.

These loving "overpopulation" people want to like sterilize the planet rather than promote adoption and education. The malthusians want the poor, the 3rd world non whites to starve to death while they sit in the first world and complain about gridliock in their commute to work a useless desk job.

They should be murdered willingly. Manslaughtered idk what to call that, euthanized. hypocrisy if a single one of them has a family

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

T-man posted:

If you want to know what my dream society looks like, it's that first section of the book loving the anime robot, having gay sex, and doing drugs with nanomachines.

:yeah:

Fuckin' and suckin' until the sun burns out!

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I love my kid and all but I can't deny that there are way too many loving people and that the universe would be much better off without humans. We and our solitary child will sign up for the voluntary extinction movement about ten seconds after the religious weirdos who have twelve kids do, though. Until then I'm not going to feel bad about our family being at 50% replacement level.

Imagined has issued a correction as of 22:27 on Apr 15, 2019

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Crazycryodude posted:

I very strongly hope it's got nothing to do with the yellow vests because if they DID burn it down they just killed the movement. But it's almost definitely nothing to do with them, more likely related to the renovation work that was going on.

It's not but it's being framed by right wingers as the "decline of Western Civilization" or something.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Shame Boy posted:

Please don't perpetuate this trope. The trains here are often late and there's no seppuku being committed by executives.

The train I was on just a few minutes ago arrived 25 minutes late. That won't get a mention in the paper let alone a press conference by the staff.

Fake edit: gently caress me, they *literally right now* announced a delay on the train I've gotten onto

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

:thermidor::thermidor::thermidor::thermidor::thermidor::thermidor::thermidor::thermidor::thermidor::thermidor::thermidor:

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

so basically even without the insulin edit, this is saying the only thing that hasn't gotten insanely expensive are things that are mining your data and selling it to advertisers, subsidizing what would be the true cost of the good by stealing from your privacy

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
my pancreas produces insulin for free :smug:

(eat the rich)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

There's no generic for insulin I take it? How hard is it to make synthetically?

I'd also be curious as to when the IP on Humalog runs out. It would seem that more than one company would be able to make this...?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

actionjackson posted:

I'd also be curious as to when the IP on Humalog runs out. It would seem that more than one company would be able to make this...?

since 1979, synthetic insulin has been produced by genetically modified e. coli. as biological tricks go, it's as close to a solved, trivial problem as can be. here's the original paper, even. https://www.pnas.org/content/pnas/76/1/106.full.pdf

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Modest Mao posted:

One of the only things that capitalism hasn't taken from the joy of our own humanity is raising our own healthy children.

These loving "overpopulation" people want to like sterilize the planet rather than promote adoption and education. The malthusians want the poor, the 3rd world non whites to starve to death while they sit in the first world and complain about gridliock in their commute to work a useless desk job.

They should be murdered willingly. Manslaughtered idk what to call that, euthanized. hypocrisy if a single one of them has a family

The eco fascists nearly always have a family lol. And mysteriously they're always white

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

actionjackson posted:

It's super easy and cheap to make but the market was cornered allowing for prices to be jacked up. There are few than 1.5 million type 1 diabetics and entering the market to introduce competition would mean tanking the price and making it a shaky investment for the newcomer. There are a ton of drugs out there like this and once a manufacturer is able to corner the market they jack the costs up like crazy.

The humalog patent expired in 2015 and the prices have continued to skyrocket.

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
how hard would it be for someone to set up their own recombinant DNA laboratory? my motivation isn't to make profit, it's to gently caress over rich people

help?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

T-man posted:

Accelerando shows what the right thinks the singularity will be, Glasshouse did fully automated gay space communism and brain worms before it was cool.

If you think stross is right wing, just lol

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Weatherman posted:

Please don't perpetuate this trope. The trains here are often late and there's no seppuku being committed by executives.

The train I was on just a few minutes ago arrived 25 minutes late. That won't get a mention in the paper let alone a press conference by the staff.

Fake edit: gently caress me, they *literally right now* announced a delay on the train I've gotten onto

Do some train lines do it? Because I've definitely read a tearful apology issued by a company for a train being 5 minutes late before :shrug:

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Modest Mao posted:

A few years ago I was big on the overpopulation problem, I did not endorse eugenics but i took a "we need to educate people on the consequences and costs of children" approach.

It really is overconsumption, not overpopulation. Africa's population is going to sky-rocket this century but lol at the idea it will leave a worse impact than a fraction of the western world, who are currently mourning a burning building whilst living in a paradigm of mass starvation and exploitation.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

A few years ago I was big on the overpopulation problem, I did not endorse eugenics but i took a "we need to educate people on the consequences and costs of children" approach.

It really is overconsumption, not overpopulation. Africa's population is going to sky-rocket this century but lol at the idea it will leave a worse impact than a fraction of the western world, who are currently mourning a burning building whilst living in a paradigm of mass starvation and exploitation.

Africa's population won't actually skyrocket because the entire continent will be the Sahara desert before long and it's not like the rest of the world is going to bother giving them food.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

If you think stross is right wing, just lol

I praised the gay robot sex in my post friend, he's obv not a conservative but accelerando is basically a capitalism singularity cautionary tale. Don't make paperclip optimizers for money or we become a hive of corporate persons.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Imagined posted:

I love my kid and all but I can't deny that there are way too many loving people and that the universe would be much better off without humans. We and our solitary child will sign up for the voluntary extinction movement about ten seconds after the religious weirdos who have twelve kids do, though. Until then I'm not going to feel bad about our family being at 50% replacement level.

you should smother your children and then off yourself if you believe "there are too many people" in any form

yeah lets sterilize them muslims not my precious white child is literally what you just wrote. take a look in the mirror. SCUM

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
a couple having a single kid is literally reducing the population in the long-term

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Dead Beef posted:

a couple having a single kid is literally reducing the population in the long-term

not as much as killing themselves ,idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
especially not if their kid converts to Judaism and goes and knocks up a bunch of people as an adult, a literal ECOLOGY HITLER, progenitor of millions of jews