Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

That’s not the right way to do it.

This is the right way to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Memento posted:

I was like "how the gently caress is that a YouTube link?!?!?"

They sold the Armory actually, it's just offices now.

I heard. They had some neat sets, even if their stuff wasn't my cup of tea.

I have no idea how that's survived so long on YouTube.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Gwar really is the best.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Platystemon posted:

Ah yes loving machines dot com (not work safe)
I remember when they did a segment on Howard Stern show and one of the girls squirted so hard she shot some right in to Gary's eye.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
I bought the physical manifestation of a horrible mechanical failure.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
The biturbo has forever been ruined in my head due to the incident. However, if anyone can save it, you can.

Note: you never capitalize biturbo. Because nothing about that noun is proper.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

chrisgt posted:

I bought the physical manifestation of a horrible mechanical failure.

A new hero emerges! Start a thread, please. Please.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

HandlingByJebus posted:

A new hero emerges! Start a thread, please. Please.

I've already posted some content at the end of the other thread (attex), maybe I should start a separate thread. Anyway, there's chat going on in that thread.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Friggin bookmarked

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Link godamnit. Some of us are lazy.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3859331&perpage=40&pagenumber=11

I was like “sorry on mobile, guess the mobile app needs that feature” but ... drat it already has it

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Platystemon posted:

I was amused to note “massager” attachments for saber saws and reciprocating saws on eBay when I was looking for, of all things, replacement batteries for power tools.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Data Graham posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3859331&perpage=40&pagenumber=11

I was like “sorry on mobile, guess the mobile app needs that feature” but ... drat it already has it

Bookmarked. :f5:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
In fifty years when I have dementia and alzheimers, I'll remember those. Not my kids, not my parents, not how to turn off the stove.

Just the dozens of ten mil sockets I've lost.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

My son acquired an '01 Accord ULEV VTEC 4 for cheap...after we replaced the rotten gas tank, it kept throwing a code for a restricted EGR. I disassembled the EGR, cleaned it & the passage. Still coding

Today, we pulled apart the plenum...
https://www.facebook.com/bob.washburne/videos/10157727099097985/?t=2

(apologies for the FB link. I fail at the video posting)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

:barf:

Also uh, doesn't the 48 state 01 Accord LX qualify as ULEV? I seem to remember my 01 having those stickers.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

STR posted:

Also uh, doesn't the 48 state 01 Accord LX qualify as ULEV? I seem to remember my 01 having those stickers.

You know way more about these cars & engines than I do...

I did the same clean-out on my son's 99 Accord (the one that suffered crankwalk) and it was bad...but nothing like this. I was just distinguishing between the two engines in case there was some difference.

Funny part 1: we got a fair bit of maintenance records with this one. The PO had had EGR issues for the past four years, and was charged $300-$400 on three separate occasions to clean out the "intake." Nice.

Funny Part II: the enormous Seafoam-like billowing clouds which followed the initial start after we buttoned it up. Went on for about five minutes. My neighbor came out to see what caught fire. We went through the better part of a jumbo can of Gumout & some brake cleaner. I removed as much as I could from the intake side of the plenum, using the screwdriver & a couple old socks.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

STR posted:

The 05 Civic DX was, I would buy the Accord being one too

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

PainterofCrap posted:

Funny part 1: we got a fair bit of maintenance records with this one. The PO had had EGR issues for the past four years, and was charged $300-$400 on three separate occasions to clean out the "intake." Nice.

So they never cleaned out the EGR and the intake just gummed up again, or they did absolutely nothing except fog in some MAF cleaner, clear a code and ask for $400?

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Seat Safety Switch posted:

So they never cleaned out the EGR and the intake just gummed up again, or they did absolutely nothing except fog in some MAF cleaner, clear a code and ask for $400?

Your heart knows the answer.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Dr.Smasher posted:

Your heart knows the answer.

The way I'm living my life my heart will probably need a clean out eventually.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Colostomy Bag posted:

The way I'm living my life my heart will probably need a clean out eventually.

PM me, I do this regularly, $399.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Friend just had a minor heart attack and had a stint put in. Feels great. I'd say go for one every few years as a PM task.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

TotalLossBrain posted:

PM me, I do this regularly, $399.

He said heart, not balls.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Dave Inc. posted:

Friend just had a minor heart attack and had a stint put in. Feels great. I'd say go for one every few years as a PM task.

Hey, I got to join that club this weekend. Had a heart attack and two stints on Saturday.

Best part is the cardiologist told me I really couldn't have done anything to prevent or detect it ahead of time. The arterial wall just ruptured all at once and produced the clot. Cholesterol was lower than the threshold to medicate, blood pressure was low, and I'm only 39. Fun times.

lovely genes are my mechanical failure.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Hey, I got to join that club this weekend. Had a heart attack and two stints on Saturday.

Best part is the cardiologist told me I really couldn't have done anything to prevent or detect it ahead of time. The arterial wall just ruptured all at once and produced the clot. Cholesterol was lower than the threshold to medicate, blood pressure was low, and I'm only 39. Fun times.

lovely genes are my mechanical failure.

Glad you’re ok dude. I’m 39 next week.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Midjack posted:

Glad you’re ok dude. I’m 39 next week.

The whole thing was just surreal, you can't really accept it's a thing that's happening. 100% blockage but I'm going home tomorrow, feel totally fine now, and it doesn't look like there was much if any detectable damage. Now I get to be on multiple meds for the rest of my life, yay!

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning
Be prepared for another heart attack when they send you the bill!

And we're somehow back on Grandpa getting above Mach 2...

So to try and get this somewhat on track:

06 Hyundai Coupe / Tiburon - V6 2.7ltr

It's an automatic with pretty much every bell and whistle available, real top of the line for what it is. Including an option to turn the traction control on or off, why you'd ever wanna turn it off in an FWD Auto is beyond me, you cant whip the rear end end out or anything, you cant lock it in 1, 2 or 3 though it does have a tiptronic shifter it'll still force a shift if you redline or it's gonna stall so yeah...

Anyways, randomly my TCL light will come on if i'm at a complete stop and then floor it to do a 90 degree turn. It'll obviously break the tyres loose which will make the light flicker to let me know that "hey, you have traction control and it's currently doing its job", but just every once in a while it'll flicker and then stay on. Pressing the button wont turn the light off again and the only way to do so is to restart the car.

Anyone got any ideas as to why that would be happening or is the answer simply "13 year old Hyundai wiring"? The inbuilt alarm is utter trash and a known fault for all coupes / tiburons so I assume the wiring might just be a little shite in other areas too.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

dpack_1 posted:

Anyways, randomly my TCL light will come on if i'm at a complete stop and then floor it to do a 90 degree turn. It'll obviously break the tyres loose which will make the light flicker to let me know that "hey, you have traction control and it's currently doing its job", but just every once in a while it'll flicker and then stay on. Pressing the button wont turn the light off again and the only way to do so is to restart the car.

How long has it been doing it?

Does it do it every time or does it sometimes flash and shut off without incident?

What happens if you break the tyres loose again while the indicator is stuck on?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

dpack_1 posted:

If it only happens when you launch hard with the steering cranked, my guess would be that there's a sanity check of some sort that's going outside of expectations and causing the system to disable itself out of an abundance of caution.

My E46 did the same thing if I started it up and immediately backed up over a curb (which happened from time to time if I had nosed in to my apartment's parking space and was trying to back out in a hurry). It'd immediately bong at me and light up the cluster the same as if I had manually disabled all the nannies, but pressing the button wouldn't bring them back on. My best guess is that it was seeing the extra rotation generated at the curbside (or curbtop) wheel and deciding that this was too far off what was calculated to be possible at that point for the sensor to be trusted until a power cycle.

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer

Powershift posted:

Eh, can't be that big of a price difference

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

dpack_1 posted:

06 Hyundai Coupe / Tiburon - V6 2.7ltr

Shotgunning a guess at this - a wheel speed sensor or a steering angle sensor.

Might be worth paying a dealer to hook it up to their computer for a diagnostic, it'll have something stored in the traction control module (which may be part of the ABS module). Do you get an ABS or brake warning light at the same time? If you do, wheel speed sensor is most likely. If you don't, I'd be leaning toward steering angle sensor (if it has one). But I don't know Hyundais.

What happens if you turn off traction control and try the same thing?

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning
It's happened a total of 3 times over the last 3500 miles. Literally nothing will shut the light off other than powering down and back up.

I've got an OBD-II scanner, ran that with the light stuck on and no error code shown. Nor does it show any stored codes after a restart just in case the scanner needed to be plugged in from a start up (manual says it can be plugged in hot but you never know)

My guess was a sensor needing cleaning or replaced too but seeing as it's not giving a code i don't wanna just start throwing money at random parts.

At the end of the day this is just a daily run about car that I got to start racking up a no claims bonus for insurance so i'm not overly worried given how infrequent it is. But at the same time i'm a little concerned cos, ya know, traction controll is kinda useful and i don't want something to go wrong with it when i hit some ice or a pile of mulch etc.

Oh and no, ABS light doesn't come on at any time other than the initial start up checks when turning the ignition on. All in all the car has been 100% sound since i bought it except for those 3 TCL things and a couple times it's moaned about an O2 sensor cos i've got a leak in a flex pipe, i just wipe the code with my scanner and it goes away for another 500+ miles.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Could perhaps also be that the OBDII reader isn't specific enough to see the code. Like Torque shows no codes, but my AlfaOBD for FCA stuff found a code. Pretty funny code as it came from me pressing the brake and gas at the same time to get some surface rust off the discs after a week sitting. "Brake signal not feasible" or something.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I've been wanting to get a tat for years, but couldn't settle on something meaningful that I would want on my body forever.
And there we go.

Powershift posted:

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

dpack_1 posted:

It's happened a total of 3 times over the last 3500 miles. Literally nothing will shut the light off other than powering down and back up.

I've got an OBD-II scanner, ran that with the light stuck on and no error code shown. Nor does it show any stored codes after a restart just in case the scanner needed to be plugged in from a start up (manual says it can be plugged in hot but you never know)

My guess was a sensor needing cleaning or replaced too but seeing as it's not giving a code i don't wanna just start throwing money at random parts.

Most OBD2 scanners can only pull codes from the engine computer; they can't dive into other modules (like the traction control). There IS a code, it's just not in the engine computer.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Darchangel posted:

I've been wanting to get a tat for years, but couldn't settle on something meaningful that I would want on my body forever.
And there we go.

Idk if ill ever get one but this is the first that that ever made me debate it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

STR posted:

Most OBD2 scanners can only pull codes from the engine computer; they can't dive into other modules (like the traction control). There IS a code, it's just not in the engine computer.

Yeah, tends to require a quite a bit more expensive scanner to get the manufacturer-specific codes out of the other modules, if not an actual manufacturer scanner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Check if the community knows any aftermarket solutions. For FCA stuff there is AlfaOBD or MultiECUScanner that can do everything (and more) than any dealer thing can. There are different adapters for the different modules and different cars.