Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Feinne posted:

Might still be too much stress on the building too, if they were worried a water drop would bring the whole shebang down.

Definetly would create a shitload of thermal shock, probably not very healthy for the structure. At all.

USPOL: A study in cathedral thermodynamics etc.

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
The monument to the boomer generation should just be a film of a 70 something midwestern lady repeating OMELETTE DU FROMAGE at the walls of a tourist attraction forever.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Props to that Bishop for thinking quick and rushing to save the art and whatever else he could.

especially cool that he was able to do it while only moving diagonally

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Strange Poon posted:

"I took several years of French class for nothing"

Can this be the new thread title?

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I am FURIOUS :>)

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Flip Yr Wig posted:

If we can all stop speculating about medieval structural engineering for one second, maybe we can go back to speculating about the Mueller report:

Virginia Giuffre, one of Epstein's victims who is currently suing him and trying to get information about the case unsealed, is apparently arguing that some of Epstein's associates who abused her are discussed in the Mueller report and that information should be included in Thursday's release.

https://www.politico.com/f/?id=0000016a-2293-ded4-affa-22dbc8c40000

I honestly would not be surprised. Trump and Co. have yet to find a crime they didn't want to commit. Him getting elected just increased the number of crimes they had available to commit.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

KickerOfMice posted:

Definetly would create a shitload of thermal shock, probably not very healthy for the structure. At all.

Yeah at this point any effort to put out the burning wood has to contend with thermal shock on the stone. It'll be a miracle if they save any of it.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/maggiekb1/status/1117874743711948800?s=19

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

theflyingorc posted:

especially cool that he was able to do it while only moving diagonally

:golfclap:

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Zophar posted:

Good news, they actually don't need to wait for the President or literally any evidence whatsoever to blame brown people:

Racists are profoundly stupid people.

I want to see her being that same heat against the tobacco industry if this fire started by a cigarette butt

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Please say it was a British firm.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Since the Crown of Thorns is now out of the Church, why don't we let science take a crack at those bad boys.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Grape posted:

Please say it was a British firm.

Revenge for Formigny and Castillon!!!

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Yes cathedrals burn all the time and the history of pretty much any ancient cathedral or monastery is of repeated fires and collapses and poo poo over time and tbh, most of them get so extravagant because each time part of it falls down or gets destroyed, they take up a collection and build them up even better.

Still sad to see

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Majorian posted:

If you want a great video of Sargon getting humiliated for 48 minutes...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUD1RvFWzeE&t=2s

thanks! i managed somehow to overlook Michael Brooks until i saw him get interviewed on Hasan Piker's Twitch stream a couple weeks ago. so far i'm a fan.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Strange Poon posted:

thanks! i managed somehow to overlook Michael Brooks until i saw him get interviewed on Hasan Piker's Twitch stream a couple weeks ago. so far i'm a fan.

That stream was also my first introduction to Michael, also enjoy what I've seen so far.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

That Facebook post reminded me of the crazy lady who warned me a few days before I left for my Paris trip. This was Summer of 2016.

This client was in Montana and I told her I was taking my now-wife to Paris to celebrate her finishing her masters program. She (my now wife) had always wanted to go, and though I didn't make much at the time either, I found a cute mom and pop hotel for like $50 euro a night and we ate a lot of breads baked fresh from Boulangeries, and drank cheap wine from a local Vin shop, dining out only once a day. It was still a trip of a lifetime. Paris Museum pass is a hell of a deal..

Anyway I was excitedly telling my Montana client all our Paris plans when she interrupts me and says "aren't you scared?"

Me "Um what?

Client "You know, Paris has all those....you know, those types of terrorists. and I see on TV there are areas where white people are banned! They are literally daily street battles!"

Me "Uhh I haven't heard all that but I'm sure I'll be fine"

Like, this lady was legit convinced Paris had turned into some sort of terrorist free-for-all or whatever is how Fox news depicts it. Only incident I saw while there that gave me pause was when a drunk soccer fan (this was during the Eurocup) tried to punch a French riot cop, and I got to witness both A) European soccer shennagians and B) French Police brutality first hand.

Otherwise, it's a completely safe, lively, and beautiful city. If anything, the added populations of peoples from the middle east meant I could get late night Shawarma from food stands for cheap. Enhancing the local culture imo. Perfect after downing a bottle or two of wine. I say that is a win. :colbert:

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 15, 2019

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

$185 Million should not have been a heavy lift for the church to keep one of its more prominent landmarks standing :wtc:

e: that's, what? About what they're on the hook for already for pedo priests just in the US?

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 15, 2019

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

What are the chances that the black metal guy from Louisiana is responsible? Is it confirmed he's still in custody?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Strange Poon posted:

Nazzadan posted:

That stream was also my first introduction to Michael, also enjoy what I've seen so far.

Yeah, he's great on MR and his own show is pretty drat informative. I hope he gets more exposure, because I'd love to see him embarrass Ben Shapiro or someone comparably annoying.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

SHARIA LAW SCHOOL posted:

What are the chances that the black metal guy from Louisiana is responsible? Is it confirmed he's still in custody?

I applaud not going for the more obvious joke of the other church burner that currently lives in France

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Munkeymon posted:

$185 Million should not have been a heavy lift for the church to keep one of its more prominent landmarks standing :wtc:

e: that's, what? About what they're on the hook for already for pedo priests just in the US?

france owns notre dame, not the church. the church can use it for services if they pay to operate the building. it's kind of like a lease situation

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

Nazzadan posted:

I apploud not going for the more obvious joke of the other church burner that currently lives in France

I'm not informed enough to even make that joke

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Nazzadan posted:

I applaud not going for the more obvious joke of the other church burner that currently lives in France

Well, at least he won't be claiming Sanctuary.

edit:

somewhere in Paris right now there's a hung over electrician desperately trying to figure out where he can go now to claim Sanctuary

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

They will? Or you hope they will? Because that is more thrilling for you to watch? And you will be let down if they control the fire before you get all the action scenes you are wishing for?

This is a really weird meltdown you're having. :thunk:

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Nazzadan posted:

I apploud not going for the more obvious joke of the other church burner that currently lives in France
Ok maybe less obvious than you think. Or I missed it at least.

The Mike Pence thing is pretty stupid, he's absolutely a racist shitbag but there's still a world of difference between three small domestic churches and a world heritage site being destroyed.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

luxury handset posted:

france owns notre dame, not the church. the church can use it for services if they pay to operate the building. it's kind of like a lease situation

Yes, the post you are quoting quotes a tweet that literally says the church both does not pay for the lease, and that they (the church) were to be responsible for upkeep.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Nazzadan posted:

Only because that joke was made hours ago.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

^burtle posted:

Since the Crown of Thorns is now out of the Church, why don't we let science take a crack at those bad boys.

i mean, no poo poo its not the real crown, some of the relics of french saints might be real though.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

sean10mm posted:

What meltdown? Stone can't melt dude aren't you reading his posts?? :downs:

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

sean10mm posted:

Pfffff only a partial meltdown. Not like he's going to be a pile of dust or anything.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

cochise posted:

Only because that joke was made hours ago.

True, I think any time anything remotely church-y burns down that joke is made.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

beejay posted:

Yes, the post you are quoting quotes a tweet that literally says the church both does not pay for the lease, and that they (the church) were to be responsible for upkeep.

it was edited in after my post, otherwise my post would contain the tweet

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Well, at least he won't be claiming Sanctuary.

edit:

somewhere in Paris right now there's a hunched over electrician desperately trying to figure out where he can go now to claim Sanctuary

Ftfy.

He will be crowned the Pope of Fools for his incompetence.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

luxury handset posted:

In the thread it says the church is supposed to be responsible for the upkeep, which I would think would include renovation. Obviously there was some disagreement around that between France and the church, but getting stingy around that much money spread over (presumably) about a decade to keep the ~second most recognized church on earth structurally sound is almost astoundingly petty.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/15/politics/bill-weld-2020-trump/

interesting. he won't win but i am curious if more will run now.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Zophar posted:

Good news, they actually don't need to wait for the President or literally any evidence whatsoever to blame brown people:

Racists are profoundly stupid people.

This reminds me of the Simpsons episode where the Simpson go to Brazil. Bart learns Spanish through some language tapes and is informed that Brazil speaks Portuguese not Spanish, so he tries to forget all he learns by giving himself a brain injury. I can see this woman doing the same thing.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

osker posted:

I want to see her being that same heat against the tobacco industry if this fire started by a cigarette butt

Pfft you act like they would accept facts as evidence. People like this "know" the "truth".

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1117894691297558528?s=19

E: ^ drat you fast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

i don't think he will be the last to enter. trump will still win the primary, but it will be a fun shitshow.

Edit: I had CNN on at the very second he announced.