Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I mean w/r/t character complexity. She's super one note to me, tho Headey kills it. Crazy drunk delusional paranoid Cersei is a blast I wish we got to see Headey play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Watching Ep. 1 of this season after enduring Westworld Season 2 was actually pretty great. Between my diminished expectations after Season 7 and WW setting new lows for follow-ups, I came into this season with virtually no hopes of anything but a by-the-numbers finale and so far it's at least been really enjoyable to see all of the reunions. I felt like this episode was pretty well-earned and had no false notes. I'll take more of that please.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

esperterra posted:

I mean w/r/t character complexity. She's super one note to me, tho Headey kills it. Crazy drunk delusional paranoid Cersei is a blast I wish we got to see Headey play.

Okay I guess that’s fair. I don’t remember there being anything really sympathetic or humanizing about book Cersei either, outside of her desire to protect her children, but it’s been a while since I read them.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

TheRat posted:

The sad part about Tyrion is how they changed his motivation from "person filled with hate because his father had his wife gangraped" to "person who drinks too much and knows things". Season 1-4 Tyrion was so much better than season 5+ Tyrion, and that's the one thing I really blame D&D for.

Otoh ADWD Tyrion sucks absolute poo poo.

I think Tyrion was one of many casualties post-season 4 when they clearly realized that GRRM was not putting out and they’d have to move ahead and end it. It feels like a pretty stark change from adapting the books to wrapping the story.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

General Dog posted:

Okay I guess that’s fair. I don’t remember there being anything really sympathetic or humanizing about book Cersei either, outside of her desire to protect her children, but it’s been a while since I read them.

She exceedingly petty, stupid and paranoid in the books. She almost has no sympathetic characteristics at all. Show Cersei is drat near sympathetic until well uh, she blows up the Sept of Baelor and murders hundreds and gets her own kid killed.

She's a weirdo Sci Fi Villain now but it wasn't always that way.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Mike N Eich posted:

More Season 7 questions: Obviously Tyrion was right to not call on Dany to burn Kings Landing to the ground, but why didn't they just use all their forces to place it under siege until the people overthrew Cersei? That seems to be....the obviously right call to make.

This was the plan discussed in S7E2, if I recall correctly. Yara and the iron Islanders were sailing with Ellaria to pick up the Dornish army to add to the siege, and they were going to cut out the bulk of the Lannister forces by taking Casterly Rock first.

Then Euron's fleet showed up, touched the Mario invincibility stars, and destroyed Yara's fleet. The Dornish, presumably, are just sitting around with their thumbs in their asses, leaderless.

The Casterly Rock gambit didn't work, either, as the Lannister forces went up to Highgarden and wiped the Tyrells off the board as well. Highgarden was meant to be the primary supply chain for the siege, and the Lannisters took all the food as well as the gold. Daenerys then blew up the food because it looked cool???

By that point she was done listening to Tyrion and then she got distracted by the White Walkers and the idea of King's Landing has fallen by the wayside

Edit: Euron's invincible badasses also wrecked a lot of poo poo at Casterly Rock, preventing the Unsullied from sailing back.

Then Euron's invincible badasses got absolutely humiliated by the formerly incompetent Seal Team Six that Theon hastily assembled by getting kicked in the no balls

That fight on the beach to convince the ironborn to rescue Yara lasted 4:17. The rescue itself ran 1:01. 2:06 total if you include the "time to split up, goodbye" conversation that happened in a location where they absolutely could not split up or say goodbye

ALFbrot fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 15, 2019

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Best part the episode was Sansa towering over Jon and Dany.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

nooneofconsequence posted:

Best part the episode was Sansa towering over Jon and Dany.

The final big reveal of the series is that Wun Wun was Sansa's real father.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

:rip: Wun Wun.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I can't wait until the white walkers win or close to it and the internet is just loving furious "you mean eight years of scheming and backstabbing was all a complete waste of time" with the reply being "yes that is the entire theme of the show that's been foreshadowed in basically every episode"

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The Walrus posted:

I can't wait until the white walkers win or close to it and the internet is just loving furious "you mean eight years of scheming and backstabbing was all a complete waste of time" with the reply being "yes that is the entire theme of the show that's been foreshadowed in basically every episode"

'jon snow explicitly stated it several times'

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

To be fair, that would be really loving funny.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

ALFbrot posted:

Then Euron's invincible badasses got absolutely humiliated by the formerly incompetent Seal Team Six that Theon hastily assembled by getting kicked in the no balls

Yeah, the gently caress is going on with this? Either Yara re-commandeered the entirety of the Iron Fleet in less than a single night after spending who-knows-how-long tied to a post, or the rest of the Iron Fleet didn't give a poo poo that a handful of their boats (including, presumably, their main ship Silence) just hosed off towards the Iron Islands.

also I hope Cersei gets her elephants only to have the dragons loving eat them immediately

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

General Dog posted:

In the books she thinks herself quite the puppet master, but pretty much everything in Feast For Crows reveals her as a total incompetent moron.

It's pretty similar in the show, to be honest. I'm actually having trouble thinking of an action she has taken that did not backfire on her or would have unless she was bailed out by forces she did not know were in play.

It's less apparent now because that is starting to be true for everyone.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 15, 2019

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ALFbrot posted:

Daenerys then blew up the food because it looked cool???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2RMmqClUV4

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

oldskool posted:

Yeah, the gently caress is going on with this? Either Yara re-commandeered the entirety of the Iron Fleet in less than a single night after spending who-knows-how-long tied to a post, or the rest of the Iron Fleet didn't give a poo poo that a handful of their boats (including, presumably, their main ship Silence) just hosed off towards the Iron Islands.

also I hope Cersei gets her elephants only to have the dragons loving eat them immediately

Those weren’t Euron’s fleet but the surviving ships from Yara’s.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The Walrus posted:

Ya it’s global warming

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
lol @ the notion that some of got's themes about the historical complexity of morality and politics will be preserved. it's going to be the most simple tolkeinesque victory over evil you guys.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

The Walrus posted:

It's also the "theme" of the real loving world with climate change.

Edit: beaten.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

so is Jaime gonna offer to give Bran a push in the next episode or what

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Lemon posted:

Bran will ask him to give him a hand

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Lemon posted:

I mean, it was so nice of him to drop everything and come to Winterfell. I'm sure Bran will just let that fall by the wayside.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Eh, Bran's Not Here man, he's probably gonna say something ominous like "You pushed a boy out a window. That boy is gone now"

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

The thing to remember is that in Westeros, people aren't ever really that intelligent. Remember when Sam cured Jorah's greyscale, and the maester asks him how he did it, and he's like "Well, I read the instructions in the book and did what it told me to" and the maester is like "omg we never thought of that!"

For like 95% of the population, it doesn't matter if you're Albert Einstein or a drooling moron, you're gonna grub in the dirt for most of your miserable existence and then some random troop of soldiers is going to come through and rape your daughters and steal all your food, and then they'll act like they're going to let you go free and then kill you at the last minute as a joke for their friends. "High society" consists of a couple dozen families who've been breeding amongst eachother and mostly selecting for being good at fighting and being assholes, and any intelligence that shows up there is going to be watered down by breeding with more inbred assholes. Just being able to think your way through something like Littlefinger's "Pretend everyone has the worst intentions" game probably puts you in the top ten thinkers in the country.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 15, 2019

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

If anything Bran's just going to confirm the actions of the Mad King because it's the only time Jaime could possibly get that validation.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Atoramos posted:

If anything Bran's just going to confirm the actions of the Mad King because it's the only time Jaime could possibly get that validation.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
So why is the Jorah character still around? How much is the Jorah actor getting paid to show up for 3 minutes in every episode.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Wizard Master posted:

I thought this episode was garbage personally.

Now this is an actual GoT thread! Welcome back old friend.

Mac was robbed. Freakin sneak attack. They cheated because they were totally scared because this guy was so jacked and obviously possessed high level Karate skills. They were scared. They knew he was super jacked and so he would jack them up. JACK. THEM. UP! Jack them all up and down the street. Jack them until they were so sore they would be begging him to stop but he wouldn't because when it comes to jacking nobody equals the Mac. Jack master!

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 15, 2019

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

tino posted:

So why is the Jorah character still around? How much is the Jorah actor getting paid to show up for 3 minutes in every episode.

That printer is not gonna carry itself, you know.

Von_Doom posted:

Mac was robbed. Freakin sneak attack.

If only he could have given them an ocular patdown first.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Von_Doom posted:

Now this is an actual GoT thread! Welcome back old friend.

Mac was robbed. Freakin sneak attack. They cheated because they were totally scared because this guy was so jacked and obviously possessed high level Karate skills. They were scared. They knew he was super jacked and so he would jack them up. JACK. THEM. UP! Jack them all up and down the street. Jack them until they were so sore they would be begging him to stop but he wouldn't because when it comes to jacking nobody equals the Mac. Jack master!

Pretty cool that he's gotten to die in both Lost and Game of Thrones. Now let's get him in Star Wars (NOT in Stormtrooper armor)

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

tino posted:

Well he introduced Sam to Dany. Can't really think of much else he could do though. Maybe get reamed out by Lady Mormont.

Other than that, he's cannon fodder. It'll inject some pathos into an episode when he gets murked by the ice dragon or something.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

precision posted:

Eh, Bran's Not Here man, he's probably gonna say something ominous like "You pushed a boy out a window. That boy is gone now"

'Thanks for crippling me so I can become a tree.'

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Zane posted:

lol @ the notion that some of got's themes about the historical complexity of morality and politics will be preserved. it's going to be the most simple tolkeinesque victory over evil you guys.

I think the worst guys (the Walkers, the Cersei/Euron/mercenaries alliance) end up being defeated, but the good guys who don't die don't end up feeling really great about whatever peace is settled on.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

TheRat posted:

You know he needs to die before he gets resurrected right? Like, some of the criticism you write here is the dumbest poo poo I've read in years, and I read the Dave Hill spoilers.

Yeah because death is super rare in thrones?

He's a side character who shouldn't even be alive to begin with. Is it really that crazy to think that after your ticket to immortality goes away, you're probably not gonna live much longer?

I'm not saying its a plot hole or contradiction. It just feels weird, misleading and pointless. Its a big :shrug: whatever who cares.

Like, some of the criticism you write here is the dumbest poo poo I've read in years :v:

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

They were created to protect the children of the forest. Even if that part didn’t go exactly right, they may have no interest in anything other than killing humans on Westeros. They could be the cause of the weird seasons there and the reason why everywhere else has regular seasons.

Its definitely possible, it just seemed like they were hinting at more and I think that'd be a more fun story than "okay so zombies but they're icy"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ALFbrot posted:

2:06 total if you include the "time to split up, goodbye" conversation that happened in a location where they absolutely could not split up or say goodbye

lmao

Mike N Eich posted:

More Season 7 questions: Obviously Tyrion was right to not call on Dany to burn Kings Landing to the ground, but why didn't they just use all their forces to place it under siege until the people overthrew Cersei? That seems to be....the obviously right call to make.

Pretty sure the people who are writing the show now have no idea what a siege even is and have never considered it, and think all battles happen as epicly as possible on an open field.

Its painful watching the early seasons again and having considerations like "yeah, we could hide behind our walls but the dothraki would starve us out and kill everybody in the fields". :sigh:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Being annoyed that Ser Beric is still alive is one of the weirdest criticisms I've read.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

As far as I can tell, the only reason Berric and Thoros came back onto the show's radar was as a means to get The Hound to the North. It doesn't bother me that he's still around, but I can't imagine him playing any meaningful role in these last few episodes. I'll bet he almost certainly dies this week or the next.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The Walrus posted:

D&D would never allow this sadly, Arya's got plot armor. I could see Jon dying or even Dany, but not Arya.

In the books maybe, would be rad for sure. The thing that always made GOT dramatic and worth watching and debating was that it was unpredictable. Anybody being able to die, even your Ned Stark main character, meant we never knew who would get axe'd next. But I just don't think D&D have the same attitude GRRM does.

teagone posted:

Being annoyed that Ser Beric is still alive is one of the weirdest criticisms I've read.

Not really what I was saying at all but I should really know better than to discuss nuanced points on SA.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Oh man I've just realised that Bran is basically granny from Resident Evil 7. He's going to start turning up in his wheelchair all over Winterfell, in towers, up ramparts, in the crypts, in Jon's bedroom, but just in the background, sitting there, not doing anything. And then if you know how RE7 ends, then it'll be even sweeter if it happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I think Arya and Sansa are the only characters guaranteed not to die, because GRRM's wife would leave him if they did. Not joking.