Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Teal posted:

poo poo comparison, notre dame was actually cool first, and only eventually caught on fire

yeah shame the world lost such a lovely monument to a global predatory pedophile cabal. rip the pretty child fucker lodge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
the hot take of notre dame

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

the hot take of notre dame

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Firefighters have successfully extinguished the Notre Dame blaze but can't contain this take

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Wachter posted:

$TSLA bulls are considering hoarding cars as investments in anticipation of FSD becoming a real thing.

So... it's like... they're abstaining from driving... until the car develops wizard powers .....

:thunk:

Involuntary pedestrians

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Pana cels?

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you
I like the idea that if there is a price increase on May 1 it's going to save some of the bazingas from themselves lol. Of course there then will be another hyped up price drop a few weeks later.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

ryde posted:

Is the price going to triple every second?

:wink:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Can't wait for Elon's plan to rebuild Notre Dame with Boring Co. bricks and a submarine.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
At least when Elon Musk calls people involved in the reconstruction “pedophiles”, he has some chance of being right.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

gschmidl posted:

Can't wait for Elon's plan to rebuild Notre Dame with Boring Co. bricks and a submarine.

Team that poo poo up with trump's flying tankers and they can't go wrong

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

i mean, he's just straight up provably lying again, but sure.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

Elon should just start selling his signature at some undetermined future date. The people who are willing to buy Teslas would likely also be willing to shell out $10k or whatever for (the future possibility of) his signature.

I'm kinda surprised that there isn't a signature edition Tesla with his name on it and a special trim.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

etalian posted:

When your lovely computer vision system confuses a random mud trail for a lane divider.

Pretty rich given how Musk claimed the Tesla's autopilot system made things safer even though Tesla has a much worse accident rate compared to similar cars in the same price range.

Do you happen to have a source on this? We need to have an effort post with links to verifiable poo poo Tesla's hosed up. It's useful on occassion.

I started a new job recently and lost a ton of face when it came up that I didn't like Tesla. The coworker I was talking to thinks I am a conspiracy nut. Sad. The fucker is about to buy a tesla. I showed him the rain->trunk video, but apparently they fixed it recently.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Best Friends posted:

Elon on the other hand accepts the craziest poo poo imaginable and then probably gets mad at whoever in the room lied to him least.

nobody is telling Elon poo poo he makes it up out of his meth-fueled psychosis
If your explanation for why Musk lies constantly is "He places too much faith in people" then you really need to recalibrate your understanding.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Relevant Tangent posted:

nobody is telling Elon poo poo he makes it up out of his meth-fueled psychosis
If your explanation for why Musk lies constantly is "He places too much faith in people" then you really need to recalibrate your understanding.

yah. he's the intersection of the ground state psychosis that comes with being borne to an emerald mine owner, with then the extra madness on top that comes from days of tweaking

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

pokie posted:

I showed him the rain->trunk video, but apparently they fixed it recently.

They must have fixed it just for him! :allears:

Look on the bright side, you've now got 6-24 months of quality schadenfreude.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Bulgakov posted:

yah. he's the intersection of the ground state psychosis that comes with being borne to an emerald mine owner, with then the extra madness on top that comes from days of tweaking

Actually it comes from deep learning and neural net training

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Deep learning fixed my leaking trunk lid :smug:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

How I Deep Leaned to Stop Worrying and Love the Car.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Lutha Mahtin posted:

does this make grimes Apartheid Bride

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

SelenicMartian posted:

:popeye:

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

SelenicMartian posted:

:perfect:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

[Conceptual] How will Teslas become appreciating assets in the future with the addition of FSD and is it worth the risk of buying now vs later?
I think it is based on the assuming that FSD and the Tesla network is up and running in say 3 years time.

You can send then send your old Model 3 out to work for perhaps 10K per year.

Say that Model 3 would normally depreciate to a value of 20K after 3 years, it may now be worth 50K just on the basis that it is going to earn 10K for the next 5 years and still have some residual value.

Provided this all up and running, you could send your old car out work, rather than trading it in.

Or the trade in value will be higher as people will recognise that the car is an income producing asset.

As usual Elon's view is a bit optimistic, we don't really know what Tesla network cars can earn once the market is saturated, but what we do know is this looks like a low cost base that no other competitor has.

The only caveat is Tesla has to have the software working in time.

But it is a windfall benefit Tesla buyers might get down the track, personally I'm buying a Model 3 anyway and I'm not buying FSD at this stage. But after I've had my car for around 3 years, I'll consider putting it out to work.

I think Tesla will have their own core fleet which will be old off lease cars that do the bulk of the work, customer cars will be used to top up that fleet for variable demand, so we could make less than 10K per year and it could vary a lot by location/season etc.

Personally I would love a scheme where I enrol my car in Tesla network for 3 years, and it progressively pays of the cost of the FSD software. I'm not out of pocket, and any extra income is a bonus.... not sure if Tesla would agree to that... it may depend on TaaS demand.
From my understanding, all cars depreciate when you drive off the lot. I would think that a Performance Model 3 for example will lose about 40-50% of its value over the course of 4-5 years, even if it includes FSD.

I understand the concept of Tesla’s Ride Hailing Service, but there is so much information missing.

I partially understand half of the idea of the car being an appreciating asset in regards to the car making you money using this definition of an asset:

An asset is a resource with economic value that an individual owns with the expectation that it will provide future benefits. An asset can be thought of something that, in the future, can generate cash flow and reduce expenses.

The other half of the idea is the appreciating/depreciating value of the Tesla car itself.

Questions we don’t know: -How much will FSD be 6-12 months from now? -When will the Ride Hailing Service be ready? -Can you upgrade HW / how much will it be? -What will the service be limited to? -How will it work? Driverless/ driver needed?

Let’s discuss!

——-

I think it is based on the assuming that FSD and the Tesla network is up and running in say 3 years time.

You can send then send your old Model 3 out to work for perhaps 10K per year.

Say that Model 3 would normally depreciate to a value of 20K after 3 years, it may now be worth 50K just on the basis that it is going to earn 10K for the next 5 years and still have some residual value.

Provided this all up and running, you could send your old car out work, rather than trading it in.

Or the trade in value will be higher as people will recognise that the car is an income producing asset.

As usual Elon's view is a bit optimistic, we don't really know what Tesla network cars can earn once the market is saturated, but what we do know is this looks like a low cost base that no other competitor has.

But it is a windfall benefit Tesla buyers might get down the track, personally I'm buying a Model 3 anyway and I'm not buying FSD at this stage. But after I've had my car for around 3 years, I'll consider putting it out to work.

I think Tesla will have their own core fleet which will be old off lease cars that do the bulk of the work, customer cars will be used to top up that fleet for variable demand, so we could make less than 10K per year and it could vary a lot by location/season etc.

Personally I would love a scheme where I enrol my car in Tesla network for 3 years, and it progressively pays of the cost of the FSD software. I'm not out of pocket, and any extra income is a bonus.... not sure if Tesla would agree to that... it may depend on TaaS demand.

——

Ride hailing is the second part, built on top of the first part.

The first part is autonomous driving.

Tesla can make only 500,000 cars per year. If more than 500,000 people per year want a self driving car (for personal or to do ride hailing), then the price for a used one will be greater than a new one (more demand than supply).

I’ve been seriously thinking about buying another Tesla just for this.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
seriously thinking

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
you'd be a fool not to!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's arguably less harmful to the environment than bitcoin mining, which is what these idiots would have been plowing their money into five years ago, so whatever.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Just one tiny thing.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Tag urself

I'm the used Tesla with a higher price than a new one

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Pidgin Englishman posted:

Tag urself

I'm the used Tesla with a higher price than a new one

I’m the Tesla Ride Hailing Network fully operational nationwide in 3 years.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Even if the technology existed (narrator: it doesn’t), it should be outlawed.

There is enough congestion now thanks to single-occupant cars. Zero-occupant cars can get the gently caress out.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
If self driving tesla taxis are going to be immensely profitable, tesla is just going to cut out the middle man and own the cars directly.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

It's genius. Each successive update, no matter how minor, along the long endless road towards FSD can be used to justify a price hike, and bazingas will sing hosanna own the bears:

:smuggo: should have got on board when they announced fire truck detection (expected Q3 2047)

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Nothus posted:

If self driving tesla taxis are going to be immensely profitable, tesla is just going to cut out the middle man and own the cars directly.

nope because that middleman is where all the civil liability goes

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Nothus posted:

they are, remember? they don't offer a lease buyout option because they're going to use all those end of lease vehicles for their ridehail program

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Current Bazinga theories include that the parking lots full of Teslas are precisely Tesla (or a close, rich friend) hoarding them for the fsdingularity

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Next, Musk will tell them that free Teslas will respond to clients yelling "Hail Tesla!" and doing a specific gesture... something easy to detect... something with the palm.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/subtleferret/status/1117144870794059776

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

the dreams of entering the petit bourgeois via car purchasing

e: anyone dreaming of buying a tesla so it can earn them passive income is a rent-seeking leech

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Today I learned there's a company called Tesla Nanocoatings. Unrelated to Musk.
https://www.teslanano.com/