Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

https://twitter.com/RealMikeWilbon/status/1117557949268938752

(to clarify? this occured during a replay of the event).

Wilbon annoys me for some reason.

Which is funny because I love his co-host. Kornheiser is legit witty, fun, and seems like a great dude.

This actually happened to me last night....they cut out as Tiger was about to make his approach shot on 18 (on replay). I'm not sure what the situation was in DC, but they cut out here because there was a tornado warning in the viewing area and they are legally required to stay on the air until the warning expires.

Just goes to show though how lucky CBS stations were throughout the midwest that the Masters teed off so early, imagine if it was LIVE when they cut away from Tiger on 18.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BWV posted:

I think Tony and Wilbon both have terrible/stupid ideas/beliefs/perspectives but at least Tony is smart enough to be self aware and openly willing to not take himself so seriously—he accepts the absurdity of being a person on tv charged with yelling about sports all year. Wilbon on the other hand is insufferable, and operates on the assumption that his opinions on every and any issue matters because he is friends with Erving "Magic" Johnson.

Tony will make fun of himself but he is also notoriously an rear end in a top hat to work with and absolutely loses his mind the second anyone else is critical of him

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

the 757 demands a pro team, they’re horny for it

iospace posted:

I'd still watch those two over Skip/Shannon and Stephen A/Max

stephen a is a delight and max is good at talking about boxing and zero other things

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mahoning posted:

This actually happened to me last night....they cut out as Tiger was about to make his approach shot on 18 (on replay). I'm not sure what the situation was in DC, but they cut out here because there was a tornado warning in the viewing area and they are legally required to stay on the air until the warning expires.

Just goes to show though how lucky CBS stations were throughout the midwest that the Masters teed off so early, imagine if it was LIVE when they cut away from Tiger on 18.

*kramers in*

Ok, so. About that, you're correct. The thing is there's "three" levels of Emergency Alert System alerts for the sake of broadcasting (there's more granularity but eh). Or well, this is how I remember it, there was a chart of the priorities of each.

1. zero priority: These are alerts that are merely logged. Usually they're weekly tests from nearby stations (basically "hey, we got your weekly, you're good").
2. Medium priority: these are alerts that will be broadcast, but can be delayed up to 15 minutes (and that's a hard limit, mind you) to be transmitted as a convenient time, like a commercial break or in between songs. If you don't delay it I think it transmits within 5 minutes of reception automatically. These are monthly tests and severe thunderstorm and tornado* watches. I thiiiiink flash flood warnings also fell under this, but don't hold me to this. Maybe Amber Alerts as well, but that could be the next level up.
3. High priority: these can not be delayed and are immediately broadcast, preempting anything that's being broadcast. These are severe thunderstorm and tornado* warnings, as well as any presidential alert.

Now, if there is a severe thunderstorm or tornado warning in the area (each station is assigned counties it has to watch for), you are required to state so every 5 minutes or so (I think could be less, could be more). You could get away every other song on radio, but they'd rather have you do it after every one. Additionally, if the studio is manned, it has to remain manned until the counties you're responsible for no longer have any warnings. So if it's 11:55pm, you're scheduled to leave at midnight, and warning pops up in one of your counties, particularly the Western most one, you're in for a looooooooong night.

*Tornado watches/warnings, for what it's worth, also imply a severe thunderstorm watch/warning.

e: winter storm stuff was weird, because I think it was under zero priority. The thing about winter weather alerts is they're usually issued a day or two in advance, unlike severe thunder stuff which is hours before, if that.

e2: this only applies to broadcast television. However, with the rise of cable, there is the capability to transmit severe weather alerts via cable. They actually demonstrated that ability on Friday here in Wisconsin! Also your phones as well.

e3: To tie this back to the original complaint Wilbon had, most stations will put a graphic up for severe watches and thunderstorm warnings, but tornadoes are uniquely destructive events that, to me, do require preempting whatever is being broadcast as a whole and having the meteorologist talk about it, especially this time of year where the conditions are especially ripe for them.

iospace fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Apr 15, 2019

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Declan MacManus posted:

stephen a is a delight and max is good at talking about boxing and zero other things

My thing with Norfolk/HR getting a team is will they actually go and be fans? I see it having that many viewers as a symptom of the population base (primarily transient, not native) watching their home town team.

But I could be way off.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

iwentdoodie posted:

My thing with Norfolk/HR getting a team is will they actually go and be fans? I see it having that many viewers as a symptom of the population base (primarily transient, not native) watching their home town team.

But I could be way off.

It starts off that way, but if you are dedicated to playing the long game (like 20 years), then it will have its own fandom that will be dedicated to buying tickets for their hometown team. The 20 years is so that the kids who grew up watching the new team will actually start being able to buy their own tickets and poo poo.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

iospace posted:

*kramers in*

Ok, so. About that, you're correct. The thing is there's "three" levels of Emergency Alert System alerts for the sake of broadcasting (there's more granularity but eh). Or well, this is how I remember it, there was a chart of the priorities of each.

1. zero priority: These are alerts that are merely logged. Usually they're weekly tests from nearby stations (basically "hey, we got your weekly, you're good").
2. Medium priority: these are alerts that will be broadcast, but can be delayed up to 15 minutes (and that's a hard limit, mind you) to be transmitted as a convenient time, like a commercial break or in between songs. If you don't delay it I think it transmits within 5 minutes of reception automatically. These are monthly tests and severe thunderstorm and tornado* watches. I thiiiiink flash flood warnings also fell under this, but don't hold me to this. Maybe Amber Alerts as well, but that could be the next level up.
3. High priority: these can not be delayed and are immediately broadcast, preempting anything that's being broadcast. These are severe thunderstorm and tornado* warnings, as well as any presidential alert.

Now, if there is a severe thunderstorm or tornado warning in the area (each station is assigned counties it has to watch for), you are required to state so every 5 minutes or so (I think could be less, could be more). You could get away every other song on radio, but they'd rather have you do it after every one. Additionally, if the studio is manned, it has to remain manned until the counties you're responsible for no longer have any warnings. So if it's 11:55pm, you're scheduled to leave at midnight, and warning pops up in one of your counties, particularly the Western most one, you're in for a looooooooong night.

*Tornado watches/warnings, for what it's worth, also imply a severe thunderstorm watch/warning.

e: winter storm stuff was weird, because I think it was under zero priority. The thing about winter weather alerts is they're usually issued a day or two in advance, unlike severe thunder stuff which is hours before, if that.

e2: this only applies to broadcast television. However, with the rise of cable, there is the capability to transmit severe weather alerts via cable. They actually demonstrated that ability on Friday here in Wisconsin! Also your phones as well.

e3: To tie this back to the original complaint Wilbon had, most stations will put a graphic up for severe watches and thunderstorm warnings, but tornadoes are uniquely destructive events that, to me, do require preempting whatever is being broadcast as a whole and having the meteorologist talk about it, especially this time of year where the conditions are especially ripe for them.

This is the poo poo I live for right here.

I really want a thread based on EAS (fake mock ups or real) to discuss them.

There is actually a rule that the "zero" priority ones cannot be done during events like Daytona, The State of The Union, Super Bowl, and World Series. I think a station in Kansas City got busted for doing it during the NBA Finals a while back.

Anyways, is there any interest in such a thread? and would anyone know where to put it?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

FuzzySkinner posted:

This is the poo poo I live for right here.

I really want a thread based on EAS (fake mock ups or real) to discuss them.

There is actually a rule that the "zero" priority ones cannot be done during events like Daytona, The State of The Union, Super Bowl, and World Series. I think a station in Kansas City got busted for doing it during the NBA Finals a while back.

Anyways, is there any interest in such a thread? and would anyone know where to put it?

Usually nationally televised live events, primarily sporting, are pretty much blockers for monthly and weekly tests, and only the tests. Severe weather alerts will always get priority over everything, much to the chagrin of crotchety old men like Wilbon.

However, most stations don't set when they get to do monthly tests. That usually comes from a station "higher on the food chain" (like a clear channel station, known as a Primary Entry Point) or the local weather office (this was the case at the station I worked at). It functions sort of as a relay, because where I was at only had the ability to originate weekly tests, but nothing else. Weekly tests, for what it's worth, are "random", and aren't required if the monthly came that week or there was an activation for weather. So what probably happened is that KC station decided to run its weekly test during the Finals and got in trouble. Monthly tests are planned around these events and are handled at the state level. So if you're watching ABC, and they're doing a monthly test, your local NBC affiliate will also be doing one, as will CBS and Fox, but again, they have the ability to delay till a commercial.

iospace fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 15, 2019

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Who is Virginia even fans of?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

To nobody's surprise, final round of the masters did gargantuan numbers despite starting off early

https://twitter.com/CBSSportsGang/status/1117802751617052672

Sports Media Watch posted:

Sunday’s final round of the Masters, which was moved up several hours to avoid inclement weather, earned an 7.7 overnight rating on CBS — down 11% from last year (8.7), but up a tick from 2017 (7.6). CBS began coverage at 9 AM ET, compared to a 2 PM start in previous years.

The 7.7 is the highest on record for a morning golf telecast (dating back to 1986).

Even the replay did great:

CBS posted:

The encore presentation of the final round earned a 3.4/8 rating/share, the third-highest rated golf broadcast-to-date on any network this year behind only the live third-round and final-round of the Masters in the metered markets.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

iwentdoodie posted:

But I could be way off.

yes and no; like kibner said you have to play the long game and you’ll sell tickets to games just on the basis of the large transient population going to see their favorite teams when they come into town

but if the team is run well and wins it’ll attract fans from all over virginia just on the basis of proximity

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

iwentdoodie posted:

But I could be way off.

NBA would work there long term because of the demographics of the area, because most fans seem to be fans of players rather than teams, and because there's not a (good) franchise in proximity. I lived there until I was 18 and I honestly don't know that I ever encountered an actual bullets/wizards fan, so there's market share to be had.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Bring back the Virginia Squires!

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Declan MacManus posted:

i read that virginia is the largest state without their own team

wonder if the momentum from the cavs winning the title would help

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
How is Mike Wilbon, with decades of broadcasting experience, supposed to know this boring tornado alert poo poo.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Edward Mass posted:

Bring back the Virginia Squires!

I sort of wish the ABA-NBA merger went down more like the NFL-AFL one in hindsight.

Would be interesting to live in a crazy world where the Virginia Squires, St. Louis Spirits, and Kentucky Colonels were all things.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Lockback posted:

How is Mike Wilbon, with decades of broadcasting experience, supposed to know this boring tornado alert poo poo.

Because he's not in a position where he would know it. I know it because I was a college DJ. Broadcast TV news anchors and reporters probably know it, but beyond that, ops is the only side of TV that probably knows the rules.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

iospace posted:

Because he's not in a position where he would know it. I know it because I was a college DJ. Broadcast TV news anchors and reporters probably know it, but beyond that, ops is the only side of TV that probably knows the rules.

any info on what would happen if we got hit with something truly awful? (like national emergency)

I've seen mock ups online but I'm always curious how accurate those are.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

FuzzySkinner posted:

any info on what would happen if we got hit with something truly awful? (like national emergency)

I've seen mock ups online but I'm always curious how accurate those are.

Well there's this, which is a UK and radio-based shakedown of what happens if something truly awful happens, and also gives an insight into what happened to the most listened-to music radio station on 9/11 and how they were going through catalogues of tracks trying to find something, anything to play between throws to the news

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
People getting mad about potentially life saving warnings interrupting their TV is always dumb but I really cannot get over him being angry about it interrupting a REPLAY of a golf tournament. That is unprecedented levels of old man bullshit. I would happily have all golf courses seized and the entire sport outlawed and even I knew Tiger won that dopey tournament like two seconds after it happened

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Well there's this, which is a UK and radio-based shakedown of what happens if something truly awful happens, and also gives an insight into what happened to the most listened-to music radio station on 9/11 and how they were going through catalogues of tracks trying to find something, anything to play between throws to the news

9/11 stateside not issuing an EAS is kind of why I'm rather curious about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJbB4MwTON8

We reached defcom 3. Yet, nothing was really formally issued. News stations and cable channels though were very on their game the entire time though. (as can be seen in the clip)

MourningView posted:

People getting mad about potentially life saving warnings interrupting their TV is always dumb but I really cannot get over him being angry about it interrupting a REPLAY of a golf tournament. That is unprecedented levels of old man bullshit. I would happily have all golf courses seized and the entire sport outlawed and even I knew Tiger won that dopey tournament like two seconds after it happened

It's rather annoying when the storm isn't all that harmful. I think I was most annoyed when a live IndyCar telecast got taken off the air last year in favor of a storm locally that was relatively minor.

However I understand WHY it's done. I also wouldn't get mad over it being a replay but rather being unable to watch it on an app for example. If it saves someone life? Then I can sacrifice my 10 minutes of a sporting event.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 15, 2019

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
You think missing a golf replay for a hurricane is bad, wait until the Queen dies.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

https://twitter.com/RealMikeWilbon/status/1117557949268938752

(to clarify? this occured during a replay of the event).

Wilbon annoys me for some reason.

Which is funny because I love his co-host. Kornheiser is legit witty, fun, and seems like a great dude.
If you think that's bad, I believe the channel's meterologist has said that since yesterday afternoon she's had to screen her phone calls and social media messages for death threats because OH NO I MISSED THE MASTERS BECAUSE OF A TORNARDO

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/gifdsports/status/1118651689802846210

lol turner gonna get mad at chuck but he's 100% correct

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--oHClQHbR--/vbyw3bcmjl3jzlfypcov.mp4

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

iospace posted:

*kramers in*

The emergency alert system scares me. Whoever is speaking ALWAYS sounds muffled and the beeping at the end creeps me out.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Jubs posted:

The emergency alert system scares me. Whoever is speaking ALWAYS sounds muffled and the beeping at the end creeps me out.

We really need to start a thread over this.

Stun there's no goons in the "CREATE YOUR OWN EAS ALERT" community being honest. I don't know where to go for that though. any one have any suggestions?

ALSO.

Doris Burke is a fantastic color announcer and deserves better work. I just wanted to post that and give some love to someone who has earned some respect in a position that can be incredibly noticeable when not done well.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

FuzzySkinner posted:

ALSO.

Doris Burke is a fantastic color announcer and deserves better work. I just wanted to post that and give some love to someone who has earned some respect in a position that can be incredibly noticeable when not done well.

The state of NBA color commentary on national broadcasts is so dire. Doris is a shining light.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Dutchy posted:

The state of NBA color commentary on national broadcasts is so dire. Doris is a shining light.

ABC/ESPN getting the rights to the NBA was one of the biggest missteps in terms of quality for all parties.

Money wise? This is not up for debate. They're probably both rushing to the bank on a daily basis. Probably fair to say that the NBA is the 2nd most popular of the "big 4" and this has been the case since the 1994 MLB Strike (Really was gaining momentum even before then too).

As a Cavs fan? I'm very grateful that Breen/Van Gundy/Jackson actually did the Game 7 of 2016 justice by the way. Imagine had they turned one of the greatest moments in NBA History into a podcast like they normally do?

Back to Doris? It indeed feels like she doesn't give enough love. I think perhaps outside of Barkley/Kenny Smith? Perhaps my favorite NBA personality out there.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

FuzzySkinner posted:

ABC/ESPN getting the rights to the NBA was one of the biggest missteps in terms of quality for all parties.

the ludicrously overdramatic NBA on NBC pre-playoff game montages set to like the Terminator theme followed by Roundball Rock and then the blimp shot of the arena while Marv Albert questions whether or not Karl Malone was going to joke were iconic and must be rescued from Disney.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Does Fox have exclusive rights to Roundball Rock now?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

the ludicrously overdramatic NBA on NBC pre-playoff game montages set to like the Terminator theme followed by Roundball Rock and then the blimp shot of the arena while Marv Albert questions whether or not Karl Malone was going to joke were iconic and must be rescued from Disney.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLb-Dt-jreI

Always felt that their "last ever" montage really captured what you're discussing insanely well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJcHhqZ6ccM

This is also an incredible one and a personal favorite..

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/HPbasketball/status/1120339102023311360

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

The fact that roundball rock is not played before every playoff game now is a travesty

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Tesh offered to sell ESPN roundball rock and they turned him down in favor of doing their own thing, which is so generic it took me like a solid minute to remember the melody just now even though I've been watching like 8 hours of playoff basketball every day

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

nvr4gt Devonta Freeman's touchdown and celebration on SNF getting the roundball rock treatment

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

There needs to be a 30 for 30 on the guy who does the SNF music. He's the best person in sports broadcasting.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

MourningView posted:

Tesh offered to sell ESPN roundball rock and they turned him down in favor of doing their own thing, which is so generic it took me like a solid minute to remember the melody just now even though I've been watching like 8 hours of playoff basketball every day

You saying this made me realize I cannot hum the melody. I can’t at this moment even start. I have no clue. In fact the only espn theme I can recall is their NHL music. Which was good.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Legendary composer John Williams?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk2NAz1fAmw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I think he's talking about the guy who picks needledrops for the game.