Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

everythin' under heaven is in utter chaos, cloud

Bread Liar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gokuweed420
Feb 1, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
At a loss. At a loss. At a loss! AT A LOSS!!! AAAAAT AAAAAAA LOOOOOOSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Fellis posted:

Yep. Later on in the series they find a supercomputer in a bunker left over from the original colonists, and it proposes riding the dragons into space to kill the thread at the source

Holy poo poo I'd totally forgotten about those loving books. They were lurking somewhere deep in my subconscious, to the point where I knew the name Anne McCaffrey but couldn't have said anything about her work other than "dragons". But now that you've mentioned this it's all started coming back. Christ what were my parents thinking, giving me those books to read when I was like 9.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
It's an odd feeling when you can look back and suddenly realize that yup, yeah that's where it all went wrong.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCw9_avTlYs

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Look at that loving Dragon

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Lmbo

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This is good.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

bike tory posted:

Turning that man gay but it's all good

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

:hfive: I knew there had to be at least one or two out there that were still down with OG Quake

:hfive:
Once a year or so I'll still get nostalgic and browse my old QWTF demos folder.
Still mourning the loss of hard drive that had the really vintage stuff (97-99).

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

Weren't you talking about these cats in another thread? I can't remember where

Yeah, I don't remember where either.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Phlegmish posted:

Turning that man gay but it's all good

You fool, you moron, that is clearly a bronze dragon. Only the green and blue dragon riders are gay.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Facebook Aunt posted:

You fool, you moron, that is clearly a bronze dragon. Only the green and blue dragon riders are gay.

Why do the gay dragon riders also have to be evil? :colbert:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

My mom was a big Pern fan and the baby shower she had with me was bronze dragon themed well that's my pern story byeeeeeee

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

Bread Liar

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
When I was like twelve Anne McCaffrey almost ran me over in her rascal at a nerd convention.

She did not seem pleasant.

That's my story.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Chitin posted:

When I was like twelve Anne McCaffrey almost ran me over in her rascal at a nerd convention.

She did not seem pleasant.

That's my story.
I think she was a deeply unhappy woman.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

FactsAreUseless posted:

I think she was a deeply unhappy woman.

Do you think this was because she knew bad dragon existed, or because she didn't know it existed?

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Phlegmish posted:

mpreg, knotting

You made me look these two things up and now I don't like you

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

owl_pellet posted:

tbf context should have been enough to warn you off

look up sounding :wiggle:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
My mom had a few Pern books laying around and one time when I was 8 I spent a whole home sick from school day reading the one that's just about the first colonists establishing themselves on the planet and it seemed really wonderful grounded science fiction up till the end when the dragons are introduced.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

My mom had a few Pern books laying around and one time when I was 8 I spent a whole home sick from school day reading the one that's just about the first colonists establishing themselves on the planet and it seemed really wonderful grounded science fiction up till the end when the dragons are introduced.

Literally my experience. It felt like StarCraft a tiny bit, with a modular colony setting down and figuring out this weird planet.

Then the dragons were like, eh, ok, but let's find out more bout this weird alien threat!

Or just keep feeding rocks to dragons and loving... That's an option...

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Nuevo posted:

tbf context should have been enough to warn you off

look up sounding :wiggle:

thats just mean

tho electrosounding seems almost insane enough to work

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

Bread Liar

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

:vince:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Teenage Stepdad is super good

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NP-RsRGzVo

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

These ---> my veins

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
I still cherish the first batch of those. The joy is palpable.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

bike tory posted:

It looks like a cross between the hydra from the Disney Hercules movie and the dragon from Shrek.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

owl_pellet posted:

I read mpreg as the video file format mpeg and now I don't like you.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Memento posted:

Teenage Stepdad is super good

Is this the guy that was behind DA SHARE ZONE before drew kicked him out?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Johnny Aztec posted:

Is this the guy that was behind DA SHARE ZONE before drew kicked him out of his wife's bed?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
https://twitter.com/bestofnextdoor/status/1118005312697450496

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

Bread Liar

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

These ---> my veins

I got what you need

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Kuros posted:

Why do the gay dragon riders also have to be evil? :colbert:

In Pern blue and green dragons aren't evil, they are just small and weak compared to bronze dragons, so they have no chance of ever winning the competition to mate with a gold queen.

Being a gold dragon rider kind of sucks. There are very few gold (fertile female) dragons compared to the number of bronze (male fertile) dragons. So in mating season all the bronze dragons chase the gold queen competing to mate with her. The rider of whichever bronze dragon mates with your gold dragon is your husband now. You will be compelled to gently caress him whenever your dragons do it.

And IIRC only golds are have female riders? So if you're a girl that's your only chance at being a dragon rider.

Classic children's fiction. Good message.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Chitin posted:

Was she in a rascal due to her age or due to being incredibly fat (so we can make fun of her in the latter case)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
She was born in 1926, so she was probably just old.