Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Sickening posted:

Hosted on imagur so i don't have to give content creator any credit

That’s handy with the engineered explosives land

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Sickening posted:

Engineered Explosives land unlocked

e:f,b

Edit 2: Domri :smith:

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Seems like it shouldn't be too hard to usually pull a card a turn.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Noticing how much Domri looks like Rufio right here

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

completely unwarranted counter to haphazard bombardment

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

resistentialism posted:

completely unwarranted counter to haphazard bombardment

"you control"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Noticed they left enchantment off, Simic Ascendancy abuse shut off

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

if you peel the counter off of a creature you bring back with isareth, does that do anything? or just make the bookkeeping harder?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

resistentialism posted:

if you peel the counter off of a creature you bring back with isareth, does that do anything? or just make the bookkeeping harder?

It makes the bookkeeping harder, because her counter doesn't actually do anything.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Lone Goat posted:

"you control"

Haphazard bombardment puts counters on your opponents stuff and now they can remove those.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

evilweasel posted:

Haphazard bombardment puts counters on your opponents stuff and now they can remove those.

no time to read cards!!

:justpost::posthaste:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Brownhat posted:

It's not even the first time they did this:

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Sickening posted:

i'm digging the implication that Bolas had Domri killed just so he could draw a card

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

ZeroCount posted:

i'm digging the implication that Bolas had Domri killed just so he could draw a card

if it's good enough for yawgmoth, it's good enough for nicci b

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Sickening posted:

Is this fake?

Guess not, just totally missed the spoiler. Seems like an oddly narrow card.

The way this is worded, you can still cast it if you don't control a planeswalker, right? Since "choose a planeswalker you control" is something that happens on resolution and not a targeting requirement?

It seems super weird for THE ELDERSPELL to be only 2 mana and not even Mythic.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Entropic posted:

The way this is worded, you can still cast it if you don't control a planeswalker, right? Since "choose a planeswalker you control" is something that happens on resolution and not a targeting requirement?

It’s a selective wrath. You can do what you want.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Entropic posted:

Correct that "Target" happens as you cast the spell

"Choose" happens during resolution

So if you controlled two planeswalkers, and you said something like "Elder Spell, Kill your 5 planeswalkers, 10 counters on my Nicol Bolas" and your opponent Vraska's Contempts your Nicol Bolas, you can put the 10 counters on your Nissa instead, since your 'choosing' of Nicol Bolas was just shortcutting and you can change your mind when your opponent responds.

Interestingly, I'm pretty certain "any number" for Elder Spell can include zero, so I think you could cast this spell with no targets if you wanted to get it in your graveyard for some reason.

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

Entropic posted:

At least the mechanics match the flavor-- you mulch a bunch of walkers to juice up one walker, so they can use their ultimate.
Hard to meet expectations with a name like THE ELDERSPELL though

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

ptroll posted:

Idk: "You win the game."

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I feel like it should have had some text like "if that Planeswalker would lose loyalty, instead it loses no loyalty" also cost like 10 mana

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

should've rebranded it as AN ELDERSPELL so people wouldn't be so cranked up about it

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

ptroll posted:

At least the mechanics match the flavor-- you mulch a bunch of walkers to juice up one walker, so they can use their ultimate.

The Ultimatum cycle were the gold standard for this, with only Clarion being a big wet fart because I guess they ran out of sweet ideas after 4 of them. I was definitely expecting some big Timmy spell, not a weird sideboard tech card.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Rinkles posted:

Idk: "You win the game. LOL."

Marketing New Brain posted:

The Ultimatum cycle were the gold standard for this, with only Clarion being a big wet fart because I guess they ran out of sweet ideas after 4 of them. I was definitely expecting some big Timmy spell, not a weird sideboard tech card.

Titanic Ultimatum is just "You win the game you were already winning." which kind of sucks.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Too many words on the spell to be iconic. Give me this poo poo

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Rinkles posted:

Idk: "You win the game."

Eh, if you have nu-bolas you can eat all their pws and use the 'they lose the game' ultimate, which is very flavorful.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Kurieg posted:

Titanic Ultimatum is just "You win the game you were already winning." which kind of sucks.

It was sick in limited, and while I agree it wasn't really a constructed card, it at least has a sweet powerful effect.

Sickening posted:

Is there a full cycle of these, one for each guild? We got a lot of good XY drops, Cruel Celebrant, the Dino, this guy, the new heroic Boros one and probably some more I'm forgetting.

e: just looked back, Merfolk Skydiver and Dreadhorde Butcher. Orzhov, Boros, Selesnya, Dimir, Simic and Rakdos so far.

Marketing New Brain fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Apr 16, 2019

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Too many words on the spell to be iconic. Give me this poo poo

There's a bunch of iconic three word spells --- "End the Turn", "Destroy all Creatures", "Counter target spell" -- but are there any two word ones?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

TheKingofSprings posted:

Fine card in standard, crap everywhere else, seems fair to say?

Pretty neat with Persist at least...

Bad with Helix Pinnacle

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

It was sick in limited, and while I agree it wasn't really a constructed card, it at least has a sweet powerful effect.

Is there a full cycle of these, one for each guild? We got a lot of good XY drops, Cruel Celebrant, the Dino, this guy, the new heroic Boros one and probably some more I'm forgetting.

this one is rare and the rest you mentioned are uncommon so they're not in the same cycle

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Lone Goat posted:

this one is rare and the rest you mentioned are uncommon so they're not in the same cycle

Yeah but don't they sometimes have to upshift stuff due to balance reasons? Dreadhorde Butcher is also rare.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Yeah but don't they sometimes have to upshift stuff due to balance reasons? Dreadhorde Butcher is also rare.

not really? there's 15 multicoloured uncommons so far and there will prob end up being 20 total (2 in each pair), and it's just a coincidence that some are 2 mana

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Entropic posted:

There's a bunch of iconic three word spells --- "End the Turn", "Destroy all Creatures", "Counter target spell" -- but are there any two word ones?

don't forget Discard Your Hand

With modern templating, Dark Ritual is "Add BBB"

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

Entropic posted:

dunno if you would even want to... [Verb] [Number] (of) [Subject] is about as good as you can get, outside of keywords like cascade cascade

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I thought I remembered a card that was just "Proliferate" but it also cantrips

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I thought I remembered a card that was just "Proliferate" but it also cantrips

This?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

That's four words.

e: lmao at that flavour text, they really tried to slow roll it in the first set huh

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Splinter Splinter
Artifact
G
(note: card is covered in loose but attached small shards of wood)
tap: your hand becomes covered in splinters

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Entropic posted:

dunno but if they printed "BAN TRON" it'd immediately be one of the most iconic cards

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I wonder how many cards were named "TRON KILLER" during playtesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Entropic posted:

That's four words.

e: lmao at that flavour text, they really tried to slow roll it in the first set huh
They weren't trying to hide that the phyrexians were on mirrodin, just that the inhabitants were completely unaware of them at that point. It's got the phyrexian symbol on the card.