Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
I grew up on a combination of beamspring and buckling-spring IBM keyboards and good Alps-switched Mac keyboards. My home machines were Macs for an embarrassingly long time.

When XDA Oblique launched, I jumped on that. Dixie Mech tells me they're packing the sets up and getting ready to ship this week.

I decided I should make a set for my home board, too, but didn't want to spend another hundo-plus.

Behold, I have access to a CO2 laser:

I'm leaving this set black-on-black. Another set of PBT DSAs have been ordered from SP to make a "final" set that'll have light-grey epoxy fill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

You've probably never heard of them.

Fun Shoe
I wanted something cool to go with the one and only artisan keycap I have

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Exit Strategy posted:

I grew up on a combination of beamspring and buckling-spring IBM keyboards and good Alps-switched Mac keyboards. My home machines were Macs for an embarrassingly long time.

When XDA Oblique launched, I jumped on that. Dixie Mech tells me they're packing the sets up and getting ready to ship this week.

I decided I should make a set for my home board, too, but didn't want to spend another hundo-plus.

I'm leaving this set black-on-black. Another set of PBT DSAs have been ordered from SP to make a "final" set that'll have light-grey epoxy fill.

This is the coolest thing.
...now where can I find a CO2 laser?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This is the coolest thing.
...now where can I find a CO2 laser?

I know one place.. my rear end after Taco Bell. :D

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I ended up ordering this keyboard for my wife, with Cherry MX Silent Reds. I think she'll like it!

Ducky One 2 RGB LED Double Shot PBT Mechanical Keyboard

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

I had one of those, but the front wheel fell off and I had to get rid of it.

Exit Strategy posted:

This makes me wonder what a keyboard would look like with ornate woodcut style legends on the keycaps:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

It would look great, do it.

You can get crazy lasers from Aliexpress....

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

General Specific posted:

This makes me wonder what a keyboard would look like with ornate woodcut style legends on the keycaps:

It costs 25 cents a minute to run the laser at my hackerspace. Toss me some keycaps in your favorite profile and pay for the laser time and I'll do it for you.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
I have just received my "Ducky One 2 RGB LED Double Shot PBT Mechanical Keyboard" and is amazing (brown switches, since I'm a coward and didn't want to go into untested waters). It only took 2 months:

- Feb 15 I order it on mechanicalkeyboards.com . Estimated shipping date from March 1st to March 15th.
- Feb 20th, the estimated shipping date changes to second half of March
- March 18th gets shipped
- April 2nd enters Canada, i finally get some sensible updates. It was shipped from Sweden
- Customs look at it for a week.
- April 10th - it's released by customs, I have to pay taxes on it, it actually travels again. ETA April 16th.
- April 12 (today) at 8:00 get notification from Canada Post: Invalid Address - Item Returned to Sender. WTF!!!!!
- I run to the distribution center and finally get my hands on it, they didn't actually put it yet on the truck to send it back.

Indeed, on the outer box the street number was completely wrong (133 vs the correct 123). Inside, the packing slip had the correct address.
Amazing keyboard, but holy hell: expensive, takes very long time to arrive, may not even arrive due to stupid errors. Ughh...

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Volguus posted:

Indeed, on the outer box the street number was completely wrong (133 vs the correct 123). Inside, the packing slip had the correct address.
Amazing keyboard, but holy hell: expensive, takes very long time to arrive, may not even arrive due to stupid errors. Ughh...

Just gotta say; your postman sucks. I moved down the same street years ago(415 vs 475), and while the mail forwarding has long expired, I still get mail delivered to me that is addressed to my old address because my postman is real nice.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

Just gotta say; your postman sucks. I moved down the same street years ago(415 vs 475), and while the mail forwarding has long expired, I still get mail delivered to me that is addressed to my old address because my postman is real nice.

Oh, absolutely, there are many reasons to believe my postman is an imbecile. On this instance, however, i suspect it was the work of a machine. The wrong number simply does not exist and most likely the computer yelled that "address is invalid" and they let it at that. Too many packages to go through to worry about a mislabelled one.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
The keyboard was out of stock that long? I know in early March or so Duckys of all types looked to have a stock date of late March. I showed it to by girlfriend as a gift for me so she put an order in March 13 or so for a RGB TKL which had a stock date of March 20 and she got it about 3/26. This was US.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
What are some good programmable numpads, or maybe even macro-pads?

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

thotsky posted:

I'm partial to the Ducky Pocket.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

It's cool, and the best one I've looked at thus far, but I was thinking more along the lines of having something like QMK on it.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

thotsky posted:

It's cool, and the best one I've looked at thus far, but I was thinking more along the lines of having something like QMK on it.

The KBDPad from kbdfans could work for you. It doesn't have QMK out of the box (uses bootmapper).

It's using an ATMega32A so you should be able to have a QMK port working on it. A few of my ATMega32A boards have a working QMK port now. If it doesn't already exist, you can likely leverage the work already done there for the KBDPad once you have the pinouts sorted out.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

thotsky posted:

I don't have one so no comment on quality, but I've always thought this one looked pretty sweet: https://sentraq.com/collections/kits/products/number-pad-rgb-kit

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Constellation I posted:

The KBDPad from kbdfans could work for you. It doesn't have QMK out of the box (uses bootmapper).

It's using an ATMega32A so you should be able to have a QMK port working on it. A few of my ATMega32A boards have a working QMK port now. If it doesn't already exist, you can likely leverage the work already done there for the KBDPad once you have the pinouts sorted out.

I wanted qmk on a board that didn’t have it out of the box. Took me a very small amount of time to map pin outs, put in the information, and flash a working qmk. If you’re using a standard chip for qmk, it is really easy to do.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)
My wife and I keep our bedroom very wet ;) Does anyone have recommendations for waterproof keyboards, with well-EMI-shielded cords?

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Mofabio posted:

My wife and I keep our bedroom very wet ;) Does anyone have recommendations for waterproof keyboards, with well-EMI-shielded cords?

I can't speak for EMI shielding for the cable, but we use some Seal Shield keyboards at work (hospital) that are waterproof and antimicrobial. We have a lot less calls for failed keyboards due to Nurses spilling coffee/liquid meds in them.

BV
Oct 23, 2005

NO ITS FUNNY. FUCK YOU. TIA
Sorry if this question had been asked (a million times) before. I’m interested in getting a set of MX blues with o-rings for work. I work in a cubicle type environment that is not particularly quiet (printers going off, people on phone calls, lots of typing, etc). Obviously I’ve read about the inadvisability of taking blues to work, but I haven’t read a whole lot on how acceptable they would generally be considered with o rings. Does anyone have experience with this? I may just have to bite the bullet and get some clears instead.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Don't take blues to work. They're designed to make a lot of noise.

I have browns I wound up putting o-rings on to appease a co-worker and while they make it quieter, they don't make them quiet. I took them off when I moved desks and no one has complained, but it's still noisier than any other keyboard.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
There a three types of o-rings you can choose between, but blues are always going to be awkward no matter what. Their actuation point doesn't work super well with o-rings.

Better to get a cheap rubber dome keyboard or something if it's just work.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

BV posted:

Sorry if this question had been asked (a million times) before. I’m interested in getting a set of MX blues with o-rings for work. I work in a cubicle type environment that is not particularly quiet (printers going off, people on phone calls, lots of typing, etc). Obviously I’ve read about the inadvisability of taking blues to work, but I haven’t read a whole lot on how acceptable they would generally be considered with o rings. Does anyone have experience with this? I may just have to bite the bullet and get some clears instead.

I brought my blues to work specifically to let someone borrow it to piss off their office mate.
I left the QMX sound dampening clips on and it still drove them absolutely nuts.

They had to give it back because it also pissed off 3 other offices.
Don't bring blues to work.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I brought my blues to work specifically to let someone borrow it to piss off their office mate.
I left the QMX sound dampening clips on and it still drove them absolutely nuts.

They had to give it back because it also pissed off 3 other offices.
Don't bring blues to work.

Of course, bring BOX Navies. :getin:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Wife's new keyboard arrived and she loves it! The Cherry MX Silent Red switches are perfect for her - good feedback and very quiet. I think I might get them on whatever keyboard I end up buying for myself later.

Her keyboard even came with a "Year of the Dog" spacebar design. A cool little surprise for my dog-loving wife. :)

Dog spacebar designs are shown here for anyone curious: http://www.duckychannel.com.tw/page-en/One_2_RGB/

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)

TWBalls posted:

I can't speak for EMI shielding for the cable, but we use some Seal Shield keyboards at work (hospital) that are waterproof and antimicrobial. We have a lot less calls for failed keyboards due to Nurses spilling coffee/liquid meds in them.

Do you have any recorded incidents of fluids like urine (human), sweat, or semen, edit: or machine tool cutting fluid, or hydraulic fluid, on the keyboards? Were they simple to wetten and scrub with disinfectant?

Mofabio fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 16, 2019

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
goddamn dude, make sure to lube those switches too

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Mofabio posted:

Do you have any recorded incidents of fluids like urine (human), sweat, or semen, edit: or machine tool cutting fluid, or hydraulic fluid, on the keyboards? Were they simple to wetten and scrub with disinfectant?

Nah, even though they're washable, we just toss 'em if they get grungy. I know they stand up to coffee with creamer (and likely sugar, since most people are wimps when it comes to coffee) as we've had a few of those show up long after they've dried. The company says they're dishwasher safe, so I would assume that most of those (don't know about cutting fluid/hydraulic fluid) would wash off okay.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Mofabio posted:

I never thought I'd see the day where I need to combine :f5: and :flashfap: but here we are

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

The Electronaut posted:

Of course, bring BOX Navies. :getin:

This but unironically.

If they're TOO loud, I can just keep that keyboard at home and bring in my CODE with Cherry MX Greens.

My boss has a white noise machine on her desk already, and said that she could never give a drat about how loud someone types (because she types loud as hell too) so I'm gonna test that out.

Edit: If they're so loud that it's unworkable, I might also just consider looking for something that's tactile and not clicky. Hmm.

Zarin fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Apr 17, 2019

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Putting O-rings on Blues is like bringing a turd to work, spraying it with Axe and hoping nobody notices.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Jailbreak mod the blues so they dont click anymore :getin:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The solution is to start with a Model M, so everything else sounds quieter.

Unless your office is utterly silent, seems like browns with any sort of keycap that doesn't bottom against the keyboard itself should be fine.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I don't know what kind of nirvana everyone else works in my my office is loud as hell and I feel absolutely no guilt for running blues.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

~Coxy posted:

I don't know what kind of nirvana everyone else works in my my office is loud as hell and I feel absolutely no guilt for running blues.

Same, and my wing isn't even at full capacity.

Even so, I don't think that'd be nirvana at all; it's awkward as hell if it's silent. Some of the wings have noticeable white noise being pumped in over the speakers, and those are the best wings because you feel like you can have a conversation with someone without bothering a dozen people.

Alas, I have to settle with a desk fan.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
After messing with red switches again (this time at a local Walmart that had a Corsair K68 on display but was selling them for $90 and it was a full-size keyboard) I'd like to get a TKL with reds but I don't if I should just pull the trigger on a Tecware Phantom or wait and see if Redragon will eventually sell one for less. Or are Outemu reds terrible compared to the Cherry MX reds that I felt on the K68?

mewse
May 2, 2006

spasticColon posted:

After messing with red switches again (this time at a local Walmart that had a Corsair K68 on display but was selling them for $90 and it was a full-size keyboard) I'd like to get a TKL with reds but I don't if I should just pull the trigger on a Tecware Phantom or wait and see if Redragon will eventually sell one for less. Or are Outemu reds terrible compared to the Cherry MX reds that I felt on the K68?

The tecware seems good if you really want TKL layout. The outemu reds on my redragon felt fine before I swapped them out, but I'm not a fan of linears.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

mewse posted:

The tecware seems good if you really want TKL layout. The outemu reds on my redragon felt fine before I swapped them out, but I'm not a fan of linears.

Wait a minute does redragon sell a TKL with reds? I looked all over Amazon and could only find a full-size with reds made by redragon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

No, I got the surara with outemu reds, it's fullsize