Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Ziddar posted:

I really doubt they're ever going to ditch the grass/water/fire starter trio. It's the only type triangle that is resistances one way, weaknesses the other way, and every type resists itself. In your example, ice doesn't resist ground, and ground is neutral to itself. Some others come close but fail one of those by having an immunity or some such.

It's true, they would need to do some messing to get that triune in place elsewhere. Could be done, but it'd change a lot of the meta and probably require extensive move reworks for a lot of pokemon too.

Silver2195 posted:

It's probably because there's too many of them.

Mankey/Primeape
Aipom/Ambipom
Chimchar/Monferno/Infernape
Pansage/Simisage
Panpour/Simipour
Pansear/Simisear
Darmanitan
Oranguru
Passimian
And now Grookey and presumably its evolutions.

Most of them are fine individually (even the much-maligned Gen V Pan/Simi lines would be inoffensive if there wasn't three of them), but the sheer number of them makes them feel lazy.

Could well be this, especially as I do kind of like Mankey/Primeape, at least more than most of the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ziddar posted:

I really doubt they're ever going to ditch the grass/water/fire starter trio. It's the only type triangle that is resistances one way, weaknesses the other way, and every type resists itself. In your example, ice doesn't resist ground, and ground is neutral to itself. Some others come close but fail one of those by having an immunity or some such.

It's also a very simple way to introduce children to type weaknesses and resistances because they all kinda make sense in the real world.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Blaziken sucks because it's a bad Digimon in a Pokemon game. And that supposed chicken it's based off of is way cooler, til.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Gripweed posted:

Torchic is cute, but I checked all their evolutions first and I don't even know what happens to Torchic. It turns into a worse chicken, and then some kinda terrible bootcut kung fu mess

Treecko starts bad and ends bad, but my boy Wooper is outstanding from start to finish

Excuse me?

Nasgate posted:

All my favorite starters are in Smash, so I think I'm the best judge here. Torchic is barely cute and Blaziken is trash.

Excuse me?

Nasgate posted:

Blaziken sucks because it's a bad Digimon in a Pokemon game. And that supposed chicken it's based off of is way cooler, til.

What did you say to me, you little bitch?!

ItBreathes posted:

Blaziken was/is awesome, though Combuskin is the worst looking 2nd form.

Swampert is a house, but tweenage me wouldn't give the water type a chance. Painfully nerdy teenage me learned the error of those ways.

You're OK. I will not defend Combusken. I agree that thing is hideous.

Ya'll need to appreciate kung-fu kickboxing chicken who barbecues its own drumsticks more, though.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Fire/Fighting was a pretty cool type combo back in the third gen but the novelty has long worn off and Blaziken has been exposed as an ugly fire chicken Digimon clone

Torchic deserves better

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Inceneroar is a better fire/fighting Pokemon and it's not even fighting type.

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

Flopsy posted:

I believe I still do! I already bred the hidden ability passimian tho. Do you have a hidden ability glameow/purugly or perhaps a love ball mienfoo? It's cool if you don't have any of those guys, I'd give you the Bewear for free if you want. Can you give me your FC and IGN?

My FC is 3668-7290-5168, and my IGN is Violet

edit: I have both the HA Glameow and love ball Mienfoo ready! Do you still have the shiny Sandslash too?

Squats fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Apr 15, 2019

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/JoeMerrick/status/1117450897095892993?s=20

Serebii.net is 20 years old :stare:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Gripweed posted:

My one real complaint with the current Pokemon lineup is that there isn't a third level of Eevee evolutions for every possible dual type. You should be able to use a fire stone on a Jolteon or a thunder stone on a Flareon and evolve it into a fire/lightning type, for example

Make one more Eeveelution, Dragon type, to complete Eevee having an evolution for each special type.

Then give each of those evolutions an evolution that pairs them up with one of the physical types. That way, Eevee has nine possible final forms that represent all 18 types between them. :v:

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
We need a cool gelatinous blob to oppose Eevee and turn into all the physical types.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Vandar posted:

Make one more Eeveelution, Dragon type, to complete Eevee having an evolution for each special type.

Then give each of those evolutions an evolution that pairs them up with one of the physical types. That way, Eevee has nine possible final forms that represent all 18 types between them. :v:

Only if Flareon's evolution makes it Fire/Fighting.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Nasgate posted:

We need a cool gelatinous blob to oppose Eevee and turn into all the physical types.

I would be okay with this too.

serefin99 posted:

Only if Flareon's evolution makes it Fire/Fighting.

https://firefightdex.tumblr.com/post/156982953608/136-flareon#notes

(This is the best blog.)

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Squats posted:

My FC is 3668-7290-5168, and my IGN is Violet

edit: I have both the HA Glameow and love ball Mienfoo ready! Do you still have the shiny Sandslash too?

Holy poo poo man! I sure do! You want a side of legendary with that order?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Is there any legit way to get stuff that knows HMs from HGSS/DPPt up to modern gens? I got a pokewalker and discovered you can get a flying pikachu but BW apparently won't let you bring over anything because they didnt have the HMs behind badges

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

You can delete the particular HM move, right?Then again you wouldn’t be able to teach it fly again so yeah I don’t think you can keep a flying pikachu.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Chill Penguin posted:

I don’t know about you guys, but I always use ‘mons that are new to me in each playthrough.

Speaking of each playthrough, I’m transferring up some champs from Gen 4 and currently have them in White 2. Are there any exclusive Move Tutors worth grabbing while here? And Unova has no ribbons, right? Not even champion ribbon?

The pokés in question:
Breloom
Swampert
Marowak
Tentacruel
Glaceon
Golduck
Pinsir
Alomomola
Golurk
Sneasel
Seviper
Altaria

Yeah I guess it's not weird to only use new 'mons; It's just hard to resist the siren call of an Abra or Gible

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

Is there any legit way to get stuff that knows HMs from HGSS/DPPt up to modern gens? I got a pokewalker and discovered you can get a flying pikachu but BW apparently won't let you bring over anything because they didnt have the HMs behind badges

Nope! In order to move those special Pikachu to a future game, you need to remove the thing that makes them special in the first place because game design.

However, you can get a Surfing Pikachu is USUM without any fancy events and that can be kept since Surf isn't an HM any longer.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Vandar posted:

No, see, all of the Special Eeveelutions should be able to evolve into any Physical type. Thus, all of the Eeveelutions would have nine evolutions each, representing every posible physical/special combination.

72 Eevees, it's perfect.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
i propose just a modest 1 eevee per type no dualtypes

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I propose 50 new elements (including Stench, Sonic, and Puce types), but all are exclusive to Eeveelutions.

In Gen 9 all 50 new Eeveements will be dropped harder than the Dexnav and will never be spoken of again.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Chill Penguin posted:

I don’t know about you guys, but I always use ‘mons that are new to me in each playthrough.

Speaking of each playthrough, I’m transferring up some champs from Gen 4 and currently have them in White 2. Are there any exclusive Move Tutors worth grabbing while here? And Unova has no ribbons, right? Not even champion ribbon?

The pokés in question:
Breloom
Swampert
Marowak
Tentacruel
Glaceon
Golduck
Pinsir
Alomomola
Golurk
Sneasel
Seviper
Altaria

The only move tutors in BW2 that aren't move tutors in later generations are Dark Pulse, Roost, and Sleep Talk, all of which are TMs in later games.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I don't even remember what Bayleef looks like thus proving that it's the worst middle stage.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Zuzie posted:

Nope! In order to move those special Pikachu to a future game, you need to remove the thing that makes them special in the first place because game design.

However, you can get a Surfing Pikachu is USUM without any fancy events and that can be kept since Surf isn't an HM any longer.

It broke my heart to remove Fly from my special yellow forest Pikachu to move it up to my hall of champions in Bank. :smith:
I have plans to clone it and put it back down in Heart Gold with Fly intact as Arceus intended.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
So, I'm almost done* replaying White and there's a couple of things I really want to type out before I beat the final bosses.
-Gyms 6 and 7 are the low point of the game by far. The gyms aren't interesting, the areas around them are super tiny, both have the same lead-up of going into a tower with 2 available pokemon, and Cheren's battle in that stretch doesn't have anything new to offer.
-I adore the design philosophy of this game when it comes to areas: the critical path is always short, but there's a ton of stuff off the beaten path. Chargestone Cave is pretty huge if you take a step to the left, the region's mall is completely missable, two facilities in Nimbasa have a pretty solid amount of daily battles, the anthill league is super neat because you need to be aware of 3D space to internalize what would be critical path and what is detour, and finally, Plasma's Castle is three straight corridors with a ton of lore on rooms you're free to check out. This is what all pokemon games should have been going forward. The swords of justice guys are extremely missable and i think this is the first time I actually check them out! They're a nice contrast to N, as well.
-Level curve and pokemon stuff is neat in that you can be going up to the E4 and have one or two 'mons that still need to evolve. It's cool that you aren't walking in with a death squad necessarily.
-Not having to use Zekrom in the N battle makes it more fun on replay.

I love Gen 5

*I'm almost done with the main story... but holy poo poo?? a quarter of the region is still left on the right???? i-i forgot what Post-game was before Gen 6...

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

Flopsy posted:

Holy poo poo man! I sure do! You want a side of legendary with that order?

Sorry I missed you last night. I'll be able to trade most of today, just let me know when you're around here, or you can ping me in the pokegoon discord (same username). :wooper:

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

*I'm almost done with the main story... but holy poo poo?? a quarter of the region is still left on the right???? i-i forgot what Post-game was before Gen 6...

If it's White 1, it's actually not that much overall post game wise. You have a few more routes yes but they're actually a bit bare bones from what I remember (like a daily mansion that you can do for a week and battle subway).

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Squats posted:

Sorry I missed you last night. I'll be able to trade most of today, just let me know when you're around here, or you can ping me in the pokegoon discord (same username). :wooper:

I'm available right now and for the rest of today. Just give me a heads up. :)

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

Flopsy posted:

I'm available right now and for the rest of today. Just give me a heads up. :)

Okay, I'll be online in Festival Plaza as Violet. Send me a trade when you see me!

Squats fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 15, 2019

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Squats posted:

Okay, I'll be online in Festival Plaza as Violet. Send me a trade when you see me!

Thank you!!!

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

Flopsy posted:

Thank you!!!

And thank you very much as well! I'll take good care of Bewear and Ruby. :3: Enjoy the pink ball girls!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
The first two gym leaders in Alpha Sapphire had two Pokemon each.

Kinda feel like they weren't really bring their A game

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Also, I met Archie and now I want to join Team Aqua

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Brock and Misty only had 2 Pokémon and they still managed to kick rear end :colbert:

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Gripweed posted:

It's easy to forget him now that Guzma exists, but Alpha Sapphire Archie is amazing.

Omega Ruby Maxie is also pretty good, especially his post-defeat animation.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 16, 2019

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Gripweed posted:

This is why you should have gotten Omega Ruby instead, so you can team up with your cool pirate bros against the extremely face-punchable Team Magma.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Cattail Prophet posted:

This is why you should have gotten Omega Ruby instead, so you can team up with your cool pirate bros against the extremely face-punchable Team Magma.

The different versions have different stores? I thought the only difference was a couple Pokemon exclusive to each title

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Gripweed posted:

The different versions have different stores? I thought the only difference was a couple Pokemon exclusive to each title

The Hoenn games reverse the villain/ally teams. Though Emerald and all the non-game adaptations I'm aware of make both teams evil (and that's the version of the storyline that seems to stick in everyone's minds anyway; I've never heard anyone say "Wow, Archie/Maxie sure is heroic!").

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Gripweed posted:

The first two gym leaders in Alpha Sapphire had two Pokemon each.

Kinda feel like they weren't really bring their A game

Of course not, they were only fighting some 0-1 badge scrub

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Paul.Power posted:

It's easy to forget him now that Guzma exists, but Alpha Sapphire Archie is amazing.

Omega Ruby Maxie is also pretty good, especially his post-defeat animation.

They're all good Team leaders Paul.

Silver2195 posted:

The Hoenn games reverse the villain/ally teams. Though Emerald and all the non-game adaptations I'm aware of make both teams evil (and that's the version of the storyline that seems to stick in everyone's minds anyway; I've never heard anyone say "Wow, Archie/Maxie sure is heroic!").

Naw, they say that's a drat fine ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

https://twitter.com/Junichi_Masuda/status/1117585043675734017

Junichi Masuda congratulated him. :stare:

Edit: joes parents made that shrine for him based off the art for it.

Pharohman777 fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Apr 16, 2019